HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Double standard ; price and halak

Old
02-08-2009, 12:50 PM
THE HOFF

vCash: 500
Double standard ; price and halak

price plays like crap ; people say that the team played bad in front of him. Obviously not saying that price isn't better than Halak , but I think halak never really had the respect he should have had form the fanbase, the media and the organization.

I remember two years ago when halak got us a shot at the playoffs by winning games on his own during the last strech. Then to reward him, we put huet back in nets during the last game and he had a terrible game.

this year, he doesn't play ... when he gets a start , you know he wants to prove he's a good goalie , has a great work ethic. when he plays bad , instead of pointing out that the team played bad , the media turns around and say that if carey was between the pipes we would have won the game.

Right now, carey price is one of the worst goalies I've seen between the pipes wearing the CH . he always gives up a bad goal , then when he has nothing to lose , stops 5 breakaways ... but the fact remains ; he always gives up a bad goal and its always at a critical moment. To say that he was been phenomenal at the end of the game becomes pointless , because we opened the play in order to get the equalizing goal and the other team gets a bit more scoring chances.

what would the media say if it was halak who played with 30 lbs of baby fat in the postseason last year?

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:52 PM
38 cupless years*

price is hurt, he'll get better once he gets healthy and the team in front of him actually give him a chance to win. you should be more worried about the prima donna in your username. what a floater that tool is.

38 cupless years* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Lucius

Remember that stretch of eight games where we scored a crap ton of goals, won all the games and the media was talking about how well Halak had played in place of Price...

His save percentage during that period was under 900.

The double standard is about winning. Price can do no wrong when we win, no right when we lose. The same applies to Halak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 cupless years View Post
price is hurt, he'll get better once he gets healthy and the team in front of him actually give him a chance to win. you should be more worried about the prima donna in your username. what a floater that tool is.

If you're willing to throw the injury card for Price, I'd bet some coin Kovalev isn't exactly healthy either.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:59 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
I'm just fed up to see price walk around on a red carpet when he actually plays terrible. Kovalev gets his share of criticism ... but somehow price seems to be above all that ... that's what makes me angry. he hasn't proven to be reliable in important times ... and until he does , I oppose myself to the immunity he clearly has...

Old
02-08-2009, 01:02 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
I'm just fed up to see price walk around on a red carpet when he actually plays terrible. Kovalev gets his share of criticism ... but somehow price seems to be above all that ... that's what makes me angry. he hasn't proven to be reliable in important times ... and until he does , I oppose myself to the immunity he clearly has...
Obviously Price has been playing like **** as of late. He played that way in the playoffs against Philly, too. And it appears that he hasn't really fixed those issues (e.g. high shots glove side). But the thing is he's still a young sophomore player, while Kovalev is a veteran. That's why Price gets some slack, and Kovalev doesn't.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:06 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Obviously Price has been playing like **** as of late. He played that way in the playoffs against Philly, too. And it appears that he hasn't really fixed those issues (e.g. high shots glove side). But the thing is he's still a young sophomore player, while Kovalev is a veteran. That's why Price gets some slack, and Kovalev doesn't.
fair enough , and I understand that. My question is : why can't halak be treated the same way?

Old
02-08-2009, 01:08 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
price plays like crap ; people say that the team played bad in front of him. Obviously not saying that price isn't better than Halak , but I think halak never really had the respect he should have had form the fanbase, the media and the organization.

I remember two years ago when halak got us a shot at the playoffs by winning games on his own during the last strech. Then to reward him, we put huet back in nets during the last game and he had a terrible game.

this year, he doesn't play ... when he gets a start , you know he wants to prove he's a good goalie , has a great work ethic. when he plays bad , instead of pointing out that the team played bad , the media turns around and say that if carey was between the pipes we would have won the game.

Right now, carey price is one of the worst goalies I've seen between the pipes wearing the CH . he always gives up a bad goal , then when he has nothing to lose , stops 5 breakaways ... but the fact remains ; he always gives up a bad goal and its always at a critical moment. To say that he was been phenomenal at the end of the game becomes pointless , because we opened the play in order to get the equalizing goal and the other team gets a bit more scoring chances.

what would the media say if it was halak who played with 30 lbs of baby fat in the postseason last year?
Your way off, your just bitter right now and will swallow your pride and correct yourself in the future.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:10 PM
smon

Quote:
fair enough , and I understand that. My question is : why can't halak be treated the same way?
Well, Halak was pretty bad when Price was out, but it's not like anyone was saying he should go to the minors. He's just not the "guy" for the Canadiens - it's Price. He was Gainey's heralded selection at 5th overall, after all. The organization has the live or die mentality with Price. Barring any unforeseen disasters, Halak will have to go somewhere else to get a shot to be a starter.

I don't see what you're suggesting, really. Do you want the team to platoon the two goalies or something? Give Halak more starts?

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:13 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Well, Halak was pretty bad when Price was out, but it's not like anyone was saying he should go to the minors. He's just not the "guy" for the Canadiens - it's Price. He was Gainey's heralded selection at 5th overall, after all. The organization has the live or die mentality with Price. Barring any unforeseen disasters, Halak will have to go somewhere else to get a shot to be a starter.

I don't see what you're suggesting, really. Do you want the team to platoon the two goalies or something? Give Halak more starts?
Exactly, the only difference was this team was playing poorly still but managed to score goals for Halak.

Seems like they knew they had to score to win, I think they believe Carbo's comments that Price needs to win one for them...things is though they still need to show up for 60 minutes to help.

Old
02-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Then there was the Huet standard. Always Cristobal's fault.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:23 PM
TheCH*

Price has always had an extemely long leash with habs fans and the organization. Halak gets no respect and i don't understand it either. Price's skill is undeniable but he is not mentally tough enough for the situation he is in right now and thats blantantly obvious.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:24 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:

that's one thing I'd love. I think it would benefit the club to have a motivated halak in nets sometimes .... because he deserves it , and it would put a little bit of weight on price's shoulders. it would help the team to build around a change of goalie once in a while when things aren't going great.

if you close your eyes and you decide to live or die no matter what with a 5th pick overal .... a young nhl unproven goalie at the age of 20... then you are just crazy , and you have no buisiness being a GM . They never planned to go with price , they failed to complete the hossa trade which involved hedberg ... and they traded huet prior to that.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 02-08-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old
02-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Right now, carey price is one of the worst goalies I've seen between the pipes wearing the CH .
You haven't seen Aebisher or Theodore play then...

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:33 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
I stand by what I said , I do believe he has no mental toughness.

the way he desperately tried to comeback quicker because he was told he wouldn't play in the ASG really pissed me off. You're 20 years old man , sort yourself out and try to make it back in the lineup as fast as you can no matter what , and for christ sake forget about that ASG.

Old
02-08-2009, 01:35 PM
znk

I agree with this thread.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Paranoia.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:40 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
I stand by what I said , I do believe he has no mental toughness.

the way he desperately tried to comeback quicker because he was told he wouldn't play in the ASG really pissed me off. You're 20 years old man , sort yourself out and try to make it back in the lineup as fast as you can no matter what , and for christ sake forget about that ASG.
Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau could have told Price he could attend the Allstar game like Crosby and not to play, they obviously didn't which to me shows the lack of communication within the organization from Management to the players.

I can't get over the fact that fans are putting all this on Price?

He was great before the injury and had really good stats and the team was winning despite the way Kovalev and other prima donna's were playing and to the injuries we had with Tanguay, Higgins and Koivu as well.

The the team totally disappears and doesn't play in front of him and he is supposed to play shutout hockey every game while Kovalev hangs onto the puck and takes bad penalties along with everyone else playing porrly to boot?!?!

Montreal is a scape goat town and always has been, for some reason when your losing it is always one players fault and this year it is Price's a 20 year old kid and not the veterans in front of him...if not for the kids on this team I think it would be a lot worse, and I hope management wakes up to see that.

Old
02-08-2009, 01:54 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau could have told Price he could attend the Allstar game like Crosby and not to play, they obviously didn't which to me shows the lack of communication within the organization from Management to the players.

I can't get over the fact that fans are putting all this on Price?

He was great before the injury and had really good stats and the team was winning despite the way Kovalev and other prima donna's were playing and to the injuries we had with Tanguay, Higgins and Koivu as well.

The the team totally disappears and doesn't play in front of him and he is supposed to play shutout hockey every game while Kovalev hangs onto the puck and takes bad penalties along with everyone else playing porrly to boot?!?!

Montreal is a scape goat town and always has been, for some reason when your losing it is always one players fault and this year it is Price's a 20 year old kid and not the veterans in front of him...if not for the kids on this team I think it would be a lot worse, and I hope management wakes up to see that.

when I picked my username , it was in reaction to posts like yours , not because I loved kovalev to the point where he was beyond criticism. that being said.

now , the first part of your post is just nonsense , I really don't see how the organization would have prevented price to attend the ASG while injured just like crosby did ... I have to say the meanning of that part is beyond my grasp.

the weight on price's shoulders : playing with 30lbs of baby fat , declare to a horde of journalists that you are the king when comes the time to bounce back. He's young and we need to take good care of him , I'm not going to support the price bashing , but on the other hand, the way he has the immunity when you compare him to halak ( which is also, young and promissing) is just annoying.

you can keep on blaming Kovalev for allowing 5 goals if you want , but while I agree he hasn't been playing up to last year's standards and that he does deserve his share of critisisms, I fail to see what it has to do with the double standards between price and halak.

Old
02-08-2009, 02:06 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Price is hurt ??? How come he started the last 6-7 games ?

If he's hurt, he should not had been allowed to play in the ALL-star game two weeks ago. They gave him his candy. Now the poor little kid is crying again ! Maybe his dad should fly him to the games across North America !

As for Kovalev, it seems , according to Jacques Demers, that the coaching staff have seen enough of him. They want him out !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Price was a 1st rounder....Halak a 9th rounder. Price was suppose to be all that, nobody expected Halak to be even what he was. And you still don't understand? Like I was saying in other threads, and even if some people disagree which I totally respect, chances are you'll put a lot more effort in first rounders 'cause they're the ones that have more chances in changing the face of your franchise. Then comes the "exceptions" à la Halak who you follow but not as closely until he prooves that he finally is worth it.

Amongst everybody, especially on these boards, there is a lot of talk about how the Habs should've picked instead of Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Fischer and even Price....see the trend? I didn't see a whole lot of threads about picks we should've made instead of Johnson, Kishel, Dulac-Lemelin or Viktor Ujcik.....

With Price, it NEEDS to work. We're screwed if it doesn't. With Halak, well if it's not him it's Denis, it's Desjardins, it's Lacasse, it's Missiaen, it's a trade, it's a UFA, it's whoever is able to take a 2nd spot in the NHL 'cause nobody will make me believe that Halak is a #1 starter material. Not a big guy and can't control his rebounds on top of that if his life depended on it. Only thing that works for him is how fast and athletic he could be. But that won't work as a starter. But Price? I mean it's pretty obvious that he could have whatever is necessary in a great goalie. But clearly his mental toughness is not where it was suppose to be and how it was sold to us. So sure, there are double standards 'cause you do whatever you have to do to make it work. 'Cause again....it has to work....We do not have at this time a Steve Mason ready to take his place.....unless we draft an Olivier Roy this year or a Maxime Clermont next year amongst other goalies to be ready in case it doesn't work out.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Anthony P

Price was overrated by many, many a people, including McGuire who kept talking about how bad Huet was because he would drop to his knees and the book was out on him, yet Price somehow was an elite goalie who did and still does the same thing as Huet....

Price is not elite yet, people need to understand that, if they keep putting pressure on him, he may never be, he's 21 years old and is not ready for all this just yet.... Look at what happened to Fleury, the guy was projected to be a franchise goalie and is now a headcase....

According to NHL.com Price is 15th in the league in GAA and is 20th in Save percentage.... those aren't the stats of an elite goalie....

Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Belso

I agree that the Fans seem to be harder on Halak and are less forgiving towards him. By how much depends on the situation.. Hopefully Halak plays well enough in the next little while to help get the team to start winning again.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:26 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
Right, that Vezina screams worst goalie to wear the CH in recent times.

Even Aebischer was acceptable until the final length of his stay.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:26 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
Price was overrated by many, many a people, including McGuire who kept talking about how bad Huet was because he would drop to his knees and the book was out on him, yet Price somehow was an elite goalie who did and still does the same thing as Huet....

Price is not elite yet, people need to understand that, if they keep putting pressure on him, he may never be, he's 21 years old and is not ready for all this just yet.... Look at what happened to Fleury, the guy was projected to be a franchise goalie and is now a headcase....

According to NHL.com Price is 15th in the league in GAA and is 20th in Save percentage.... those aren't the stats of an elite goalie....
Some organizations have messed up big time with young goalies.

Your Fleury example is fine, but Fleury fought back and was there in the Finals last year. Guys like Luongo, Guiguère-now all-star goalies- had been traded by the teams who drafted them. Lehtonen was also supposed to be the second-coming of Roy or Hasek. He is not there yet. Mason is impressive, but how long will it last ? Leclaire was awesome last year, then...

Let's be patient with Price. Hopefully Halak will pick up the slack, and both kids can share the net almost 50-50 for the remaining of the season.

Maybe we could get Brodeur, now that Clemmenson is shining... lol

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 02:29 PM
THE HOFF

[QUOTE=Whitesnake;17800187]Price was a 1st rounder....Halak a 9th rounder. Price was suppose to be all that, nobody expected Halak to be even what he was. And you still don't understand? Like I was saying in other threads, and even if some people disagree which I totally respect, chances are you'll put a lot more effort in first rounders 'cause they're the ones that have more chances in changing the face of your franchise. Then comes the "exceptions" à la Halak who you follow but not as closely until he prooves that he finally is worth it.
/QUOTE]

if that's true ... mtl loses with price in nets after a bad performance , he should be critisized . Not because he's not a great goalie ... its just that at this point , everybody takes for granted that he's all of fame material ... and NOBODY in the media dared to say that there is a possibility that he wasn't going to be a STAR.

when halak looses : '' he has to make those saves in order to keep his team in the game'' ... when price looses '' he can't do everything by himself'' ...

imo until price proves to be dominant when it counts , he's just an above average, reg season goalie prospect.