HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's the main problem with our team ?

View Poll Results: What' the main problem with our team
Lack of offensive D-Men to replace Streit 18 18.75%
We badly need a real first line center to setup Andrei 30 31.25%
Goltending 11 11.46%
All that problem must be fixed 37 38.54%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2009, 12:33 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
In no particular order:
  • Lack of skilled grit and size, along with desire

• Lack of a top 4 defenseman with some offensive upside to help Markov

• Lack of at least one true sniper who will capitalize on scoring opportunities instead of hitting the post or missing the net

• Lack of a veteran backup goaltender to help Price in his development

• Lack of a quality goaltending coach

• Lack of a true coach for the defense, ala Jacques Laperrière in the good ol' days

• Lack of pride for wearing the CH

• Lack of luck (injury-wise) this season.
pretty much sums up what i was going to write

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:43 PM
C4KOMI

should get Kyle McLaren, san jose doesnt want him but in montreal it would be a very good fit
it will strengthen the defense and give some room to other defencemen to move.
i dont think he will cost much.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:57 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
In no particular order:
  • Lack of skilled grit and size, along with desire

• Lack of a top 4 defenseman with some offensive upside to help Markov

• Lack of at least one true sniper who will capitalize on scoring opportunities instead of hitting the post or missing the net

• Lack of a veteran backup goaltender to help Price in his development

• Lack of a quality goaltending coach

• Lack of a true coach for the defense, ala Jacques Laperrière in the good ol' days

• Lack of pride for wearing the CH

• Lack of luck (injury-wise) this season.

That pretty much sums it up right there...

I didn't see the game last night but after seeing the final score I was expecting it to be much worse than it actually is here today.
I was expecting to see countless trade proposals.

What was Carbo's take on the game and as anyone actually seen or heard anything from Gainey during this disastrous stretch the Habs are in? Gainey is like a bear that hibernates in the winter...

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:57 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
a top first line center

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:58 PM

Coaching.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
we just need to call the Super K

The Inkredibles will save us !!!

Master piece. +1000

For the poll i said all of the above:

• We do need our d squad to be more offensive, can this come from what we already have? I doubt it but apart from Komisarek they all have some offensive habilties. This also could come from Webber and Carle, Webber just beated the record for more goal from a dmen on the Dogs, 10 goals in one season. And i have talked about an option that nobody seemed to like, but we still have the right of André Benoît, who's a Streit kind of player. I dont know if we can recall him right now of goes he have to go through the wiavers (he's playing in Sweden). I know people dislike him but he's realy good offensivly.

• We need to replace Plek as an offensive center, he clearly isn't, at least we can say he's having an off year. We need an offensive center to feed all those wingers we have, Saku is the only one we can rely to this year (Lapierre is still a denfesive center in my opinion).

• The Goaltending must be fix by the inside, Carey and Jaro must step up right now and play like real number 1 goaltenders (because both of them want to be number one).

Last edited by Mustafa*: 02-08-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
team chemistry,not every player interested in giving it all it takes to get the job done

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Coaching.
lol? tell me why?

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
a top first line center
a top first line winger or center really. Heck i'd even go as far as saying a front line defenseman as Markov is great but he isn't someone who is going to dominate a game either.

This team has lacked a legitimate game in game out scoring threat or any star power for many many years now.

i'll add in, people and a system able to develop and further your prospects and talent a la Buffalo and New Jersey or Chicago.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
1. The Price is wrong! He is a goalie without an average glove hand, who flops on the ice constantly. He has not won a game for the team this year, but has lost several. He has killed morale by letting in at least one bad goal per game.
2. The players don't shoot the puck. They pass endlessly on the powerplay, but can't or won't shoot at the net.
3. The leaders , several K's , don't lead!
4. The killer B's (Bouillon, Begin, and Brisebois) are Hab killers. They play poorly, cough up the puck, and should not be on the team.
5. We need a pure goal scorer, not Laraque!

This team is playing itself into 10th place by year's end.
Gainey better step in now!
1.Uh, yes, he has won games for the team. Many. And he was great for us before his injury, people have short memories.
2. The problem is that we never have quality shots on net. All shots from far away or the boards, and on the PP the players aren't even in movement. They just stand there, making all their shots and passes predictable.
3. You'll have to prove that.
4.I agree. This summer, they're all UFA's, so it will be time to get rid of the dead wood.
5. Exactly. We all expected our young players to step up, well they have all stepped down and Kovy decided to be terrible this year. Gainey will have to get a top line center, because currently we have none on our team and in our system. (Maxwell is far away and probably not 1st line material).

and uh, 6: I think a change of coaching staff would do good. We don't have any game plan, Melanson looks like he gives bad habits to goalies and our PP sucks like no other. We would probably need a defensive coach too, but Gainey assembled his staff with friends so he'll never change the personnel, even if it would be for the best of the team.

Souvenirs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
a top first line winger or center really. Heck i'd even go as far as saying a front line defenseman as Markov is great but he isn't someone who is going to dominate a game either.

This team has lacked a legitimate game in game out scoring threat or any star power for many many years now.

i'll add in, people and a system able to develop and further your prospects and talent a la Buffalo and New Jersey or Chicago.
Didn't we do this with S.K, Pacioretty, Price, etc, etc ?

Old
02-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Didn't we do this with S.K, Pacioretty, Price, etc, etc ?
now which one of those guys is a star in the NHL??? Buffalo has Roy, Stafford, and Vanek that are either stars or well on their way. New Jersey has Zajac, Parise, and Gionta who are big point players.

Of Roy, Vanek, Parise, Gionta and Zajac, they are better than every hab forward that Montreal has developed.

Compare them to our version of Higgins, Akosts, and Plekanec.

Old
02-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
now which one of those guys is a star in the NHL??? Buffalo has Roy, Stafford, and Vanek that are either stars or well on their way. New Jersey has Zajac, Parise, and Gionta who are big point players.

Of Roy, Vanek, Parise, Gionta and Zajac, they are better than every hab forward that Montreal has developed.
I don't know, but Plekanek, despite this year, is equal or better than Zajac.

For Roy, if Koivu played with good players during his career, he would have been better than Roy.

Vanek and Parise are very special player.

And tell me how many team would have draft better than us recently with the picks we had.

Old
02-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
I don't know, but Plekanek, despite this year, is equal or better than Zajac.

For Roy, if Koivu played with good players during his career, he would have been better than Roy.

Vanek and Parise are very special player.

And tell me how many team would have draft better than us recently with the picks we had.

And Zajac is 23, progressing and now better than Plekanec who is older and regressing.

NJ has been consistently better than Montreal for years with worse picks, so again tell me which players have Montreal drafted or developed into stars. The fact is you can't.

Old
02-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
And Zajac is 23, progressing and now better than Plekanec who is older and regressing.

NJ has been consistently better than Montreal for years with worse picks, so again tell me which players have Montreal drafted or developed into stars. The fact is you can't.
Patrick Roy, Andrei Markov, Saku Koivu (despite his bad luck), Carey Price (soon).

Montreal had a down during 5-10 years. We ain't been good with Peanuts.

Old
02-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:

Koivu, Ribeiro, Markov, Vokoun, Streit are all stars in the league.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Patrick Roy, Andrei Markov, Saku Koivu (despite his bad luck), Carey Price (soon).

Montreal had a down during 5-10 years. We ain't been good with Peanuts.
Yet other teams are finding players no matter where they draft and yet Montreal has yet to really hit one. Its all bad luck, soon, and what not yet the answer ultimately comes back as them not having anything for 10 years now.

Markov is what i would call the closest and Komisarek second however there is ZERO offensive stars developed in the last 10 years.

Montreal's youth aren't bad, i don't think they are.its becoming concerning why year after year other teams with same or worse picks are having there guys turn into stars and legitimate scoring threats in the NHL.

Old
02-08-2009, 05:19 PM
TheGoalJudge

No role definition and no go-to guy or line even on offense. Just a mish-mash of players that don't know what's expected of them night in and night out and role players who can't focus on certain aspects of their game because they're being asked to do things that are not part of their identity.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:27 PM
airlouche

We lack LEADERSHIP and players who care about their team, and guys who hate to lose...

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

They're infected with the Carbonneauic Plague.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Koivu, Ribeiro, Markov, Vokoun, Streit are all stars in the league.
Streit learned his trade in Switzerland not Montreal. Vokoun wasn't anything in Montreal. Ribeiro is a good player but only took the next level away from Montreal and actually hasn't played that well this year so i guess the jury is a little out on him. I love Koivu but he isn't a star in the league. Good player and warrior but not a star. Markov is a star i believe.

at the end of the day, none of these guys could lead an offense night in night out. I think hab fans definition and expectations of a star have dwindled seeing as their hasn't been any for years now.

Old
02-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by cguerin View Post
Personnaly, i think that we need a fisrt line center to replace Plek. Andrei has never the puck to shoot.... i strongly believe that if he play with a guy like Savard, he'll have many 40 goals seasons. So with a trade including Plek and Higgins , may be we can find a guy like that.... tought
The problem is impatient fans with unrealistic standards , these repetitive threads are really getting old fast.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Price will be fine. Dont worry about him. We know that price will be get out of his funk. Its not uncommon for a goalie to struggle coming off a huge layoff... look at luongo

The main problems are puck retrieval and winning the little battles around the boards. Say what you want about latendresse but he was one of those guys that won those little battles on a consistent basis. This is why I'm not all that excited about tanguay... he wont help in this category.

I wouldnt be surprised if this team will be battling for their playoff lives at the end of this road trip.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:00 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cguerin View Post
Personnaly, i think that we need a fisrt line center to replace Plek. Andrei has never the puck to shoot.... i strongly believe that if he play with a guy like Savard, he'll have many 40 goals seasons. So with a trade including Plek and Higgins , may be we can find a guy like that.... tought
I think we need more size on D along with a good sound game, offense would be nice on D but it isn't the biggest concern right now.

We also need some 1st line skill down the middle, Saku is at this point in his career a 2nd line centreman and a good one. But, Pleks has proved he is one as well, not a 1st liner for sure and hard pressed to be a 2nd liner consistantly as well.

We need more grit and offense in players, too many skilled players with toughness and grit lacking and then they don't produce because of that.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

One of the problems is that we're generating more turnovers in our zone and in the neutral zone than the Pillsbury doughboy himself!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote