HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Mikko Koivu or Ales Hemsky

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Hemsky (Not an Oiler fan) 97 31.70%
Koivu (Not a Wild fan) 122 39.87%
Hemsky (Oiler fan) 74 24.18%
Koivu (Wild fan) 13 4.25%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Hippasus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
If you could measure defensive skills in points, how much would they be worth? It seems like depending on the poll, sometimes they're worth 20 and others they're worth nothing. The same can be said for the ability to completely take over a game and win it all on your own.

Hemsky has 42 points in 38 games. Koivu isn't even a point per game. I'm just a little confused. Hemsky has had two 70+ point seasons and this season he has the point per game average of a 90 point player. Even in 72 games he's on pace for 80 points. Koivu's career high is 54 points and last season he had 42. This season he's on pace for 80 points aswell but in 10 more games. In the Spezza/Hemsky poll people said Spezza was better because had been the better player over a much longer period of time and that this season wasn't enough. In this case Hemsky has been significantly better offensively over the last few years and has been this season as well. Hell, Hemsky is a playmaker and has more goals in 10 less games. A lot of people say you're elite or a superstar if you're top 5 in your position. He's 8th in points amongst RWers and has the 2nd best point per game average. It's significantly higher than the 3rd best guy. If this was any other player people would be saying, 90 point players are too good to pass up...Hemsky's playing like one but it doesn't matter in this case. This time defensive skills are worth about 20 points and being a game breaker is worth nothing.
Everything here seems right on; except if you add the respective fanbase votes in evenly, Hemsky is solidly in the lead.

Hippasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Koivu, easily.

He has all the tools that a great player requires. Hemsky lacks far too much to ever be considered "great".

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbingbill View Post
Everything here seems right on; except if you add the respective fanbase votes in evenly, Hemsky is solidly in the lead.
There are VERY few Wild fans on these boards. If there were more, Koivu would be absolutely running away with it.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
Koivu, easily.

He has all the tools that a great player requires. Hemsky lacks far too much to ever be considered "great".

There are VERY few Wild fans on these boards. If there were more, Koivu would be absolutely running away with it.
Like what? It seems to me that the only thing Koivu has on Hemsky is that he really excels defensively...where Hemsky just doesn't give anything up.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Like what? It seems to me that the only thing Koivu has on Hemsky is that he really excels defensively...where Hemsky just doesn't give anything up.
Well, Koivu is defintely much more physical player and has much more leadership than Hemsky (I know, hard to measure but Hemsky doesn't exactly ooze leadership IMHO whereas Koivu has been a true leader on every level he has played.

Koivu is IMHO clearly better than Hemsky in every other area except offense where they seem to be quite close statistically, atleast this season.

Therefore I picked Koivu. Hemsky is a great player but IMHO not as good as Koivu.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Hippasus

Quote:
Koivu, easily.

I thought Minnesota was supposed to be the best hockey market in the U.S. Are you sure there aren't more than 9 Wild fans that voted for Hemsky? Even if I was a Wild fan I would sure as hell vote for Hemsky. By the way, I love St. A. Great town.

Hippasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbingbill View Post
I thought Minnesota was supposed to be the best hockey market in the U.S. Are you sure there aren't more than 9 Wild fans that voted for Hemsky? Even if I was a Wild fan I would sure as hell vote for Hemsky. By the way, I love St. A. Great town.
I'm not sure what it is with the lack of Wild fans on these boards. It's been puzzling me since day one.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 04:54 AM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Don't bother trying to argue with him. He's already said that Pisani belonged in the ECHL. His idea of NHL talent means nothing.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 05:17 AM
Ciccarelli

Koivu and this really, really, shouldn't even be this close

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 05:48 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
I'm not sure what it is with the lack of Wild fans on these boards. It's been puzzling me since day one.
It shouldn't be puzzling. Most of them just don't hang out on these boards. Everyone is grouped together on the Wild's official forum. There are plenty of them. That's the way it's always been. Just because they don't prefer this place doesn't mean they don't exist.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
It shouldn't be puzzling. Most of them just don't hang out on these boards. Everyone is grouped together on the Wild's official forum. There are plenty of them. That's the way it's always been. Just because they don't prefer this place doesn't mean they don't exist.
No no...it's a puzzle.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:55 PM
MLSE

Hemsky

MLSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Klaus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
Don't bother trying to argue with him. He's already said that Pisani belonged in the ECHL. His idea of NHL talent means nothing.
The guy hates everything about Edmonton, Calgary and Alberta.

Don't even bother give the troll the satisfaction of being quoted.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
wow its a joke Koivu won this poll!

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 07:34 PM
0ilerman
The King

Ales gets the nod. I think we're just beginning to see what kind of player he can be

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Red Alberks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
wow its a joke Koivu won this poll!
Um, no its not a joke at all. Koivu is better.

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
it think it's laughable, too...

Lemieuxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Red Alberks

The only way Hemsky would win this poll is if Edmonton fans' votes were not separated.

Koivu is a much better player, and pretty much everyone besides Edmonton fans realize this.

Hemsky is a good player, no one is saying he is not. It's just that Koivu is better.

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote