HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Fan pens an open letter to Canadiens' Kovalev

Old
02-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Originalsix

vCash: 500

The GazetteFebruary 8, 2009

Alex: Montreal loves you. We love your artistic talent and quiet leadership. We are in awe of your jaw-dropping grace as you skate around the pylons posing as other NHL players. You have a unique chance to cement yourself as a legend among countless Canadiens greats. So many dream about this chance - I dream about this chance - only to fall short. But we can dream through you. Your chance is NOW. Please don't let it pass you by. Listen to the boys and girls screaming your name - let this be the pulse that your heart beats to. The sweater on your back is more than red, white and blue material - it is a dream for kids and adults alike throughout Montreal, across Quebec, scattered all over Canada and all over the world. Think of nothing else but winning. Dream of winning! KNOW you will win. Accept no substitutes. Race to backcheck every chance you get. If you get slashed on the hand ... keep going! Fight through the pain. You have it in you. Show us this desire to win. Little kids will try your moves at the local rink, and those same kids may one day tell stories to their children about the legend of No. 27. Be the first on the rink for morning practice ... and the last to leave. Prove that you are the legend that is inside you, ready to burst out in a fanfare of fireworks and glory. Saku Koivu is more than a hockey player in this city and is already a legend - with or without a Stanley Cup. Nobody can take away his status earned through a heroic fight with cancer, almost losing an eye to a high stick and his diehard attitude and desire to win. We want you to stand beside him on the highest of pedestals. Please, Alex, hear our plea. We are 100 per cent with you and we can't wait for you to hand the Stanley Cup back to our city after Saku hands it to you. Alex: the city is yours ... PLEASE take it. See you on Ste. Catherine St. in June ... I can't wait.

Chris Kermack
Montreal

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sport...097/story.html

Originalsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:39 PM
habsfanwpg27*

I hope he reads it.

habsfanwpg27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Pipe dream.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I hope he does as well.

Probably won't, but we can wait and see how he does tomorrow !

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:49 PM
le_sean

What's so hard about playing the EXACT same way as last year? Don't even change anything.

Before last season he watched tapes of himself when he played well in order to mold his game to the same effect. Why doesn't he start watching tapes of himself from last year? It's not that difficult.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

the only positive thing about kovalev from last night is that he was moving his feet more. Having said that, he still looks completely lost. Why he insists on making the impossible carry out of his own zone is beyond me.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Fozz

God! Some people need lives.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:04 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
What's so hard about playing the EXACT same way as last year? Don't even change anything.

Before last season he watched tapes of himself when he played well in order to mold his game to the same effect. Why doesn't he start watching tapes of himself from last year? It's not that difficult.
i think that he's playing like he was last season , but without the same confidence . Since the playoffs , the other teams have found the way to play againts him ; one player blocks his line , another comes to hit him .

Also , the very poor performances from Plekanec doesn't help either . Kovalev plays for the pleasure of it , but when the things are going bad for your line , the pleasure isn't there anymore .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Erythro73

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

The problem is, all the teams also watched the tapes of Kovalev's good plays. They know how to prepare against him and put their best defs against him (i.e. Chara, from Boston). They know his moves, so it's easy to stop him. Kovalev sometime tries new things, but it's pretty hard to always play against NHL's best defencemen with pylon linemates who are not as creative as him. I think there is some pressure on him right now as he's not producing at his normal pace.

Thing is, all the team is going bad. Gorges, Kovalev, Markov, ...

Erythro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Guy Caballero

This won't help. Kovy's problem isn't a lack of desire to win. It's a combination of things:

1. A mental block on his part as he tries to work through his slump. The harder he tries the worse he does, whereas when things are going well his play seems effortless. His game is about inspiration, creativity, and playing fast and loose -- things that suffer when things are going badly.
2. Less support from his teammates. It's tougher to perform when you've lost some major weapons (a PP shooter; Plekanec, who now sucks for some reason).

I think it's unfair and counterproductive to question Kovalev's heart; it's a total misread of the situation, and the professional announcers who call him out on this are just being lazy and catty, since it's the accepted cliche to say this about Kovalev. I think Kovalev's greatest desire is to win a Cup for the Habs. He's doing what he can playing the game he's always played.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
This won't help. Kovy's problem isn't a lack of desire to win. It's a combination of things:

1. A mental block on his part as he tries to work through his slump. The harder he tries the worse he does, whereas when things are going well his play seems effortless. His game is about inspiration, creativity, and playing fast and loose -- things that suffer when things are going badly.
2. Less support from his teammates. It's tougher to perform when you've lost some major weapons (a PP shooter; Plekanec, who now sucks for some reason).

I think it's unfair and counterproductive to question Kovalev's heart; it's a total misread of the situation, and the professional announcers who call him out on this are just being lazy and catty, since it's the accepted cliche to say this about Kovalev. I think Kovalev's greatest desire is to win a Cup for the Habs. He's doing what he can playing the game he's always played.
Great post. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:57 PM
RE-HABS

Champions have heart, something Kovy lacks.

Letters like this are nice for the readers of the paper, but it isn't a motivation piece. If a player with that much skill can't be motivated to play, then there is no hope because his career has lacked passion and heart.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Ross MacLochness

Kovalev's problem is in his head. I don't know what the hell it is, but there's something holding him back, and no its not Plekanec.

I mean for a guy to put up numbers like these between the ages 31-36:

04: 0.57 ppg
06: 0.94 ppg
07: 0.64 ppg
08: 1.02 ppg
09: 0.69 ppg

That is just absolutely retarded. It makes no sense whatsoever, and there are no injury excuses to back it up. In fact the only time he required surgery and missed at least a month was in 06 when he finished with 0.94. I'm trying my best to come up with an explanation as to why an established players numbers can fluctuate this way. I just can't.

I appreciate his skills as much as anyone, from the time he got here until this last November he was probably my favourite player on the Habs. But I can't deal with this anymore. He can't put up good enough numbers consistently to make up for his quirks. After this year its time to part ways.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:40 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

*Kovalev upon receiving the letter*

Hahahaha. Anyway, anyone seen my wallet? Andrei?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:54 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalsix View Post

Alex: Montreal loves you. We love your artistic talent and quiet leadership. We are in awe of your jaw-dropping grace as you skate around the pylons posing as other NHL players. You have a unique chance to cement yourself as a legend among countless Canadiens greats. So many dream about this chance - I dream about this chance - only to fall short. But we can dream through you. Your chance is NOW. Please don't let it pass you by. Listen to the boys and girls screaming your name - let this be the pulse that your heart beats to. The sweater on your back is more than red, white and blue material - it is a dream for kids and adults alike throughout Montreal, across Quebec, scattered all over Canada and all over the world. Think of nothing else but winning. Dream of winning! KNOW you will win. Accept no substitutes. Race to backcheck every chance you get. If you get slashed on the hand ... keep going! Fight through the pain. You have it in you. Show us this desire to win. Little kids will try your moves at the local rink, and those same kids may one day tell stories to their children about the legend of No. 27. Be the first on the rink for morning practice ... and the last to leave. Prove that you are the legend that is inside you, ready to burst out in a fanfare of fireworks and glory. Saku Koivu is more than a hockey player in this city and is already a legend - with or without a Stanley Cup. Nobody can take away his status earned through a heroic fight with cancer, almost losing an eye to a high stick and his diehard attitude and desire to win. We want you to stand beside him on the highest of pedestals. Please, Alex, hear our plea. We are 100 per cent with you and we can't wait for you to hand the Stanley Cup back to our city after Saku hands it to you. Alex: the city is yours ... PLEASE take it. See you on Ste. Catherine St. in June ... I can't wait.

Chris Kermack
Montreal

Kovalev can frame this letter and put it up this summer when he signs a contract with the Rangers or the Pens.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Kriss E

I think the author is a loser..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalsix View Post

Chris Kermack
Montreal

Good idea to write him a letter, but it lacks originality. He has probably heard this message a few times. Kovalev has the frame of a man, but the emotion intelligence of a child. Speak to him like you would do to motivate a child, and it might work.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:17 PM
onice

This letter is gonna have the opposite effect that was intended. Some Habs fans think that Kovalev doesn't care. I, on the other hand, think the opposite. I think he cares too much and so decides he can do it on his own. This letter will only encourage this type of behaviour. He'll think that the whole team rests on his shoulders. So he'll use his team mates even less if that's possible. I think Kovalev's core problem is not that he isn't trying but that he is trying it on his own. He doesn't use his linemates.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think the author is a loser..
Uh, how exactly? It's a Habs fan that wants Kovalev to be the player we all know he can be. One that can help lead us to a Stanley Cup. I think this guy just said what a lot of us are thinking, nothing more.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
God! Some people need lives.
plus one

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Uh, how exactly? It's a Habs fan that wants Kovalev to be the player we all know he can be. One that can help lead us to a Stanley Cup. I think this guy just said what a lot of us are thinking, nothing more.
If you thought Kovalev was the one that would lead us to the Promised Land, you're more than lost.

Writing a letter is the most useless thing.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:45 PM
OneSharpMarble

Well neither original or worth reading in it's entirety, Kovalev phoned this season in a long time ago.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:54 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If you thought Kovalev was the one that would lead us to the Promised Land, you're more than lost.

Writing a letter is the most useless thing.
ever for one minute take a breath and think that this might be a kid like my oldest say 11 or 12..?

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:58 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Kovalev is too stuck up to even use that to wipe his ass.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Boulette Cannon

I'm gonna write a letter to Kovalev too.

"Dear Alex, please go away. We need the space for someone who actually wants to play hockey, not a penalty taking, puck coughing ballerina who wants to show his deeking skills to 12 year old fans"

Wow, I actually feel better. Thank you internet forums.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote