HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

a few Bauer skate questions...

Old
02-08-2009, 02:05 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

vCash: 500
One last question before I get myself in for a fitting...since I'm an intermediate player would the xxxx be too stiff a boot for me? Would the xxv be better? As I've mentioned before I've had some left ankle problems so I'm looking for good ankle support,but obviously I want the best boot for me. Thanks again for all the insight and info.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:03 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
XXV is a pretty stiff boot as well. It's one of the better values out there. XXXX is pretty damn stiff.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 04:49 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
XXV is a pretty stiff boot as well. It's one of the better values out there. XXXX is pretty damn stiff.
Is that a bad or good thiing... I can get both for the same price...Makes me lean towards the xxxx,but I'm not sure...

Old
02-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
Is that a bad or good thiing... I can get both for the same price...Makes me lean towards the xxxx,but I'm not sure...
a stiff boot means better energy transfer thus a more powerful stride

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
TBLfan

...if you are strong/weigh enough to flex the boot.

Old
02-08-2009, 09:09 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

so I take it is more of a good thing than bad?

Old
02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
so I take it is more of a good thing than bad?
yea.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Croco

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstartxtodayx View Post
The Vapor XXXX's are now $399 at most places online and there's plenty of stock on them, I think that's a pretty sweet deal, I wish the One95's were down that low.
Yeah, me too...especially with what I've been hearing about the ONE75. Which leads me to...

Quote:
Depends on who you ask. The biggest problem with them is the depth/volume(from the bottom of the foot to the top and from the heel to the front of the ankle). You need a really slim foot/ankle to fit in them. The Vapors fit me decently, I couldn't get my foot in a one90 which was the original version of the one75. The one95 fits me near perfect.
I bought a pair of Vapor XVIs in November, and I'm already looking at getting another pair of skates. I originally wanted the Supreme ONE55, but the shop that I went to didn't have them in my size...and now I'm thinking about getting the ONE75. But I'm thinking that I should go to my original plan and getting the ONE55 as I'm a dead beginner and will be getting used to being on skates on a regular basis...my question is should I try the wider boot on the Supremes that I'm interested in? I made the mistake of getting too narrow of a boot on my Vapors, so now I'm considering upping the width to EE for my next pair of skates. Either way, I'd like to stay with the Bauer brand if I can help it.

Croco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 07:07 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco View Post
Yeah, me too...especially with what I've been hearing about the ONE75. Which leads me to...

I bought a pair of Vapor XVIs in November, and I'm already looking at getting another pair of skates. I originally wanted the Supreme ONE55, but the shop that I went to didn't have them in my size...and now I'm thinking about getting the ONE75. But I'm thinking that I should go to my original plan and getting the ONE55 as I'm a dead beginner and will be getting used to being on skates on a regular basis...my question is should I try the wider boot on the Supremes that I'm interested in? I made the mistake of getting too narrow of a boot on my Vapors, so now I'm considering upping the width to EE for my next pair of skates. Either way, I'd like to stay with the Bauer brand if I can help it.
Supremes are wider then the vapors, so I would at least try on a pair of those in D width first. And One75s fit differently then most of the Supreme line, One 55 would be a better bet if they fit. If they don't, try the one 75.

Dead beginner you don't need the one 75. That's the same skate as the One 90, last year's top end skate.

And the Bauer brand means nothing if they don't fit. Try on a bunch of different skates in different brands, the fit is much more important.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Croco

Which is exactly why I said 'if I can help it'...I know that brand loyalty means nothing if you can't use the product effectively. We'll see where this ends up...I kinda liked the way the Graf Supra fit on me, but I couldn't afford it at the time. That's my second-in-line at the moment...after that would be the CCM Vectors that I tried as well. I'll definitely be at some of the shops in the area to try stuff on; not just skates, but I wanna be fitted for protective equipment as well. But I'll definitely be posting my findings on here with the skates.

Croco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:51 PM
clawfirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
And you're in tacks. My guess would be that you need a boot with a higher instep. Vapors should help with that, or CCM vectors, and I'm not sure about the Supreme line. You'll probalby want to stay away from RBK or Easton.
RBK purchased their product designs from ccm, its the same company. RBK fit like CCM.

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:20 AM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawfirst View Post
RBK purchased their product designs from ccm, its the same company. RBK fit like CCM.
NO, they don't. The RBK/Reebok line fits close to the old tacks series but are wider in the heel and are deeper. CCMs(minus the U+) are much narrower and shallower than the RBK/Reeboks. Vectors are closer to the fit of Vapor but slightly narrower and shallower. The U+ is wider and deeper than the RBK/Reeboks... but they're weird, very boxy off the shelf, then they are fully moldable.

The Vectors are based off the Externos, not Tacks.

Old
02-12-2009, 02:53 PM
ModSquad

Quote:
NO, they don't. The RBK/Reebok line fits close to the old tacks series but are wider in the heel and are deeper. CCMs(minus the U+) are much narrower and shallower than the RBK/Reeboks. Vectors are closer to the fit of Vapor but slightly narrower and shallower. The U+ is wider and deeper than the RBK/Reeboks... but they're weird, very boxy off the shelf, then they are fully moldable.

The Vectors are based off the Externos, not Tacks.
What Vector and Externo had in common was the Externo-Skel structure, which kept the rigidity of the boot on the outside and a soft feel on the inside. The fit was changed when it became Vector. The Externo was a direct evolution of the Koho skate, which was a wider fit.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 03:22 PM
TBLfan

Both were too shallow in the forefoot for me, couldn't get them on my foot, haha. Thanks Bouce for the correction.