HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

09-10 Nashville Predators

Old
02-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
09-10 Nashville Predators

Erat - Arnott - Dumont
Legwand - Wilson - Jones
(UFA Upgrade) - Santorelli - Pihlstrom
Tootoo - Smithson - Belak
Extra (Hornqvist ?)

Suter - Weber
Hamhuis - (UFA upgrade)
Sulzer - Klein
Extra (Zanon ?)

Rinne
Ellis

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

??? - Arnott - Dumont
Erat - Legwand - Jones
Ward - ??? - Pihlstrom
Hornqvist - ???

Suter - Weber
Hamhuis - Zanon
Sulzer - Klein
Franson/FA Veteran

Rinne
Ellis

I'd like to see both Ward and Zanon back. Wilson will spend some time in Milwaukee. Don't think Santorelli is ready for a full time job yet, either.

I think one of the biggest questions going into summer break will be Sullivan. He's had a couple good games since he's been back, but isn't quite all there yet. Obviously we'll have to see how he does for the rest of the year. But if he improves his play he could be a good cheap option for the top 6.

For 3rd line center, Nichol really isn't that bad of an option, assuming he ever gets healthy. But rotating Wilson, Santorelli, and O'Reilly in that spot would be good, too.

I'm not sure if any of our prospects are graduating and will have to clear waivers next season. I've been meaning to look that up. Wonder if Glazachev will come over?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 10:23 PM
vipera1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
??? - Arnott - Dumont
Erat - Legwand - Jones
Ward - ??? - Pihlstrom
Hornqvist - ???

Suter - Weber
Hamhuis - Zanon
Sulzer - Klein
Franson/FA Veteran

Rinne
Ellis

I'd like to see both Ward and Zanon back. Wilson will spend some time in Milwaukee. Don't think Santorelli is ready for a full time job yet, either.

I think one of the biggest questions going into summer break will be Sullivan. He's had a couple good games since he's been back, but isn't quite all there yet. Obviously we'll have to see how he does for the rest of the year. But if he improves his play he could be a good cheap option for the top 6.
For 3rd line center, Nichol really isn't that bad of an option, assuming he ever gets healthy. But rotating Wilson, Santorelli, and O'Reilly in that spot would be good, too.

I'm not sure if any of our prospects are graduating and will have to clear waivers next season. I've been meaning to look that up. Wonder if Glazachev will come over?
The interesting part here is that Sullivan, if he signs a 1-year deal, is elligible for performance bonuses under article 50.2 (c)(2)(iii). It might be possible to sign him for a relatively cheap guaranteed salary and have a larger performance bonus as incentive.

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'll try and throw together my lines tomorrow, but I do think it is plausible that we see Legwand slide over to LW for Wilson at center. Then again, Legwand has been playing outstanding hockey of late (Erat and Jones have as well).

I agree with Predanerd that a Sullivan signing could be very likely. He will be 35 on July, so I would think that makes him eligible for incentives. If not, he hasn't done much to earn a fat contract yet anyways. We will have to see how this one plays out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Zanon resigned as that no. 4 defensemen.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Bonk and/or one of Fiddler/Nichol back.

02-07-2009, 11:30 AM
vipera1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'll try and throw together my lines tomorrow, but I do think it is plausible that we see Legwand slide over to LW for Wilson at center. Then again, Legwand has been playing outstanding hockey of late (Erat and Jones have as well).

I agree with Predanerd that a Sullivan signing could be very likely. He will be 35 on July, so I would think that makes him eligible for incentives. If not, he hasn't done much to earn a fat contract yet anyways. We will have to see how this one plays out.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Bonk and/or one of Fiddler/Nichol back.
Sullivan won't be 35 until July 6, and he would need to be 35 on June 30 to be eligible for 35+ bonuses. However, since he spent 100 days on the IR this season, he will be eligible under a different clause.

Article 50.2 (C)(2)
Quote:
Performance Bonuses shall be allowable under this Agreement only for:

(i) Players with Entry Level SPCs under Article 9 of this Agreement;

(ii) Players aged 35 or older as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective, who have signed a one-year SPC for that League Year; and

(iii) Players who are "400-plus game Players" for pension purposes, and who: (i) in the last year of theiry most recent SPC, spent 100 days or more on the injured reserve list; and (ii) have signed a one-year SPC for the current or upcoming League Year.

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Been discussing this with some folks lately, but have waited to throw this out on the messageboards. I think Zanon is honestly a core player that must be re-signed. Whether or not you disagree with me on that point is irrelevant to my question though...

What do you think Zanon would get to re-sign with the Predators (per year salary, number of years not necessary, but appreciated) and conversely what do you think he could make on the open market as a UFA?

My honest opinion is he would take 3 years/$5.1 million ($1.7/year average) from Nashville and could easily grab $2 million+ on the open market. I've received many blank stares and seen many jaws drop the floor when I say that, but have also gotten several people to mirror my opinion as well.

Thoughts?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I actually agree, Zanon is a core player I think 1.7 for three years is perfect, maybe even a steal.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 01:45 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Sullivan -Arnott -Dumont
Jones - Legwand -Erat
Pihlstrom- Wilson -Tootoo
Ward - Nichol -Smithson
Belak
Franson

750,000 Ward
----------
800,000 Nichol
----------
-713,333 Hornqvist
----------
1,131,830 Jones
----------
681,000 Pihlstrom
----------
1,750,000 Wilson
----------
1,500,000 Sullivan
----------
1,200,000 Zanon
-----------
650,000 Sulzer
----------
693,867 Franson
----------
----------
-3,551,166 savings from this year.

Also, I could see Fiddler resigned to turn Smithson into a healthy scratch.

57.8 - 16 = 41.8 million.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Jeff Finger received 3.5 million annually. Nothing surprises me on the open market. I wouldn't be surprised to see those numbers Slake.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:47 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Jeff Finger received 3.5 million annually. Nothing surprises me on the open market. I wouldn't be surprised to see those numbers Slake.
I would not be surprised. Never underestimate the power of a stupid GM.

Old
02-08-2009, 03:09 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Hole1-Arnott-Dumont
Jones-Legwand-Erat
Pihlstrom-Hole2-Hornqvist
Tootoo-Hole3-Smithson
Belak, Hole4

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein
Blum-Sulzer
Hole5

Rinne
Ellis

Hole1 - Free Agent
Hole2 - Mike Santorelli, Colin Wilson, Free Agent
Hole3 - Nick Spaling, Free Agent
Hole4 - Free Agent, Might remain open.
Hole5 - Free Agent, Might remain open.

I expect to see Hole2 filled by Santorelli, with Hole3 likely filled by a re-signed forward (Bonk is my pick because of his strength along the boards). Hole5 will likely either be filled by Blum or Zanon, depending on which move will save the organization the most money.

The only player that any significant money will be spent on is at Hole1, which should be a legitimate scoring winger. We have just enough money to afford one, with the following assumptions:

Jones - $1.25M
Pihlstrom - $750k

As well as new salary (Sulzer, Blum, Mike Santorelli), we have about $2M to spend before reaching the floor, but have almost $6M against this year's actualy payroll. That means we've probably got about $3.5-4.5M to spend on a top six winger if the ownership are willing to keep the purse open to us.

So, with that in mind, here's a look at some of our options:

David Moss
Erik Cole
Brian Gionta
Nik Antropov (a natural center but plays a lot of wing)
Ales Kotalik
Steve Sullivan
We also have Alex Tanguay, but I'm not too sure he won't be getting a raise that puts him out of our price range.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Hole1-Arnott-Dumont
Jones-Legwand-Erat
Pihlstrom-Hole2-Hornqvist
Tootoo-Hole3-Smithson
Belak, Hole4

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein
Blum-Sulzer
Hole5

Rinne
Ellis

Hole1 - Free Agent
Hole2 - Mike Santorelli, Colin Wilson, Free Agent
Hole3 - Nick Spaling, Free Agent
Hole4 - Free Agent, Might remain open.
Hole5 - Free Agent, Might remain open.

I expect to see Hole2 filled by Santorelli, with Hole3 likely filled by a re-signed forward (Bonk is my pick because of his strength along the boards). Hole5 will likely either be filled by Blum or Zanon, depending on which move will save the organization the most money.

The only player that any significant money will be spent on is at Hole1, which should be a legitimate scoring winger. We have just enough money to afford one, with the following assumptions:

Jones - $1.25M
Pihlstrom - $750k

As well as new salary (Sulzer, Blum, Mike Santorelli), we have about $2M to spend before reaching the floor, but have almost $6M against this year's actualy payroll. That means we've probably got about $3.5-4.5M to spend on a top six winger if the ownership are willing to keep the purse open to us.

So, with that in mind, here's a look at some of our options:

David Moss
Erik Cole
Brian Gionta
Nik Antropov (a natural center but plays a lot of wing)
Ales Kotalik
Steve Sullivan
We also have Alex Tanguay, but I'm not too sure he won't be getting a raise that puts him out of our price range.
I'm glad to see you're not automatically throwing your hat in the "resign Sullivan" camp ... I think we need to get stronger up front, and Sullivan doesn't accomplish that task

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Fiddler, Nichol, Ward -- at least one of these guys will be signed. you can book on that.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:04 AM
predfan24

Here's what i am thinking:

Sullivan/UFA-Arnott-Dumont
Erat-Legwand-Jones
Ward-Bonk-Smithers
Pihlstrom/Tootoo-Wilson-Hornqvist/Tootoo
Belak

Honestly, the bottom six is the hardest group to put together. I like the Bonk line right now. They are very strong Defensively and i wouldn't mind seeing them stay together for next year. Then again I wouldn't mind us getting more skilled and stronger on those lines too. Does Sanotorelli or Spaling factor into plans for next year? i also pick Bonk over Fiddler and Nichol due to his size and two way play. However if he isn't willing to take a pay cut let him go and resign Nichol. Sully or UFA? I think sully is more likely since we there is a good chance we can sign him for cheap. Out of the UFA's Worst posted Alex Tanguay is intriguing but probaly too expensive. Personally I think Eric Cole would work very well on the first line. He's not having a great season so mabye his asking price will be reduced. Honestly I'm not even sure about these lines I made. There is defienlty going to be alot of tough descions this summer.

Weber-Suter
Hammy-Zanon
Klein-Sulzer
Franson/Cheap fill-in

The D is alot more easier for me to predict. I'm also in the Zanon needs to be resigned camp. To me he is the absolute defiention of a team player and I think he is underrated by our own fanbase sometimes. Sulzer looks promising. I think it will be necessary for Blum to play a season in the AHL. He defiently can't handle NHL forwards at this point IMO.

Rinne
Ellis

Pretty self explantory

Last edited by predfan24: 02-09-2009 at 01:09 AM.
predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I don't think Zanon is underrated by the fan base. I think he is overrated. With that said, I think he will be resigned, and I will not be against it. Blum/Franson/Laakso are not ready to step in, so we need someone to fill that 4th defensemen role. Then again, Blum may be ready to step in next year at camp......

Old
02-09-2009, 09:08 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Fiddler, Nichol, Ward -- at least one of these guys will be signed. you can book on that.
I say two possibly three if Smithson is moved.

Old
02-09-2009, 10:03 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
I don't think Zanon is underrated by the fan base. I think he is overrated. With that said, I think he will be resigned, and I will not be against it. Blum/Franson/Laakso are not ready to step in, so we need someone to fill that 4th defensemen role. Then again, Blum may be ready to step in next year at camp......
Klein?

Old
02-09-2009, 10:46 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Klein?
To me, the question is how much Nashville is willing to spend on a vet D-man. Next year I believe the pairing will be

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein
Sulzer-???
????

Would you want to pay high dollar amounts to Zanon to fill that spot next to Sulzer? Also, Franson made the AHL all-star team, how is he not ready? Also Blum is an interesting factor. Blum is a good prospect BUT he hasn't had time in Milwaukee and there's a ton of YOUNG talent in front of him.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:04 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
I'm glad to see you're not automatically throwing your hat in the "resign Sullivan" camp ... I think we need to get stronger up front, and Sullivan doesn't accomplish that task
I'm not a big fan of it, but I expect it. I'm going based on my natural optimism that Sullivan will low-ball himself and give Nashville a sweetheart deal for sticking with him when he was hurt. If not, oh well, more money for a front line forward who might just complement Arnott and Dumont. What is also difficult is what the players will get in arbitration with the RFA's Jones and Pihlstrom. I was overly generous in my estimations and went with 120%. Something tells me that Franson will be on this team if he is not traded at the Trade deadline. I expect both Koistienen AND Franson to be moved. There is a lot of youth on the defensive core of this team as is and the team would be better served to sign a vet to fill the #4 or #6 spots.

The #7 spot is interesting because there are so many options. Move up Franson to be the #7? Slip Belak from a forward spot to the spot? (He's getting scratched alot anyway, why not?) Sign a very cheap UFA? In the end, I'm worrying way too much about the one spots on the team you don't really have to worry about.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:08 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Here's what i am thinking:

Sullivan/UFA-Arnott-Dumont
Erat-Legwand-Jones
Ward-Bonk-Smithers
Pihlstrom/Tootoo-Wilson-Hornqvist/Tootoo
Belak
For the love of Jesus and all the Apostles, NO!

Old
02-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm not sure Klein is ready to be a number 4. I like having him as the number 5 with Sulzer at 6 next year. Then again, I think he could do it. The only caveat is that we need someone to step in next year whether it is Blum, Franson, Laakso, etc.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:27 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Little emotional there Worst?

Old
02-09-2009, 11:29 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
I'm not sure Klein is ready to be a number 4. I like having him as the number 5 with Sulzer at 6 next year. Then again, I think he could do it. The only caveat is that we need someone to step in next year whether it is Blum, Franson, Laakso, etc.
Who would you suggest if it's Weber-Suter, Hamhuis-????, Sulzer-Klein, ????

Not a lot of UFA defensemen out there.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Who would you suggest if it's Weber-Suter, Hamhuis-????, Sulzer-Klein, ????

Not a lot of UFA defensemen out there.
I was assuming that Zanon would be the number 4 guy. If he isn't, then I think you call up Franson or have Blum fill the 6th defensemen role, sign a cheap 7th defensemen/tryout, then let Sulzer or Klein take the number 4 spot.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:39 AM
predfan24

Quote:

Where do you fit Wilson in? I believe Wilson has a good chance of making the club straight out of camp and doing little to no time with the Ads. He is a more dynamic player than Jones and Hornqvist and I think he could step into the NHL with more ease than those two could. Putting him with Pihlstrom and toots isn't ideal but what else can you do?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote