HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vanek Update

Old
02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Better Call Saul

vCash: 500
It's time for Pominville and Hecht to wake the **** up; otherwise, this stretch could be a nightmare. Without Vanek, we're down to three competent offensive players - Roy, Connolly and Stafford. Pominville's gone 16 games without a goal, and Hecht's performance has been subpar. Step up.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
so is our season over?
NO.

It'll be about 10 games. We've dealt with having a scrambled defense. We can deal with our leading scorer being out. People will have to step up. I don't see any reason we can't go .500 without Vanek.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
NO.

It'll be about 10 games. We've dealt with having a scrambled defense. We can deal with our leading scorer being out. People will have to step up. I don't see any reason we can't go .500 without Vanek.
The real shame is that the Sabres were climbing up toward being in the 4-5 matchup of the playoffs, but that's going to be awfully tough to maintain without TV. Ugh.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:33 PM
zero39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabreRT View Post
I get this religious zealot vibe from you. Is there a cult that promotes the use of full face masks? You just wait until something like this happens and you pollute home team threads don't you. You are trying to play on our intense emotional attachment to an injured player in order to further your own agenda.
Yes, it's a cult. The people in it are called "intelligent". Come on, NHL hockey is more dangerous than it's ever been. With the sticks and the collapsing defensive systems, you constantly have players putting their bodies in the way of 100 mph slap shots. It's ludicrous that their union won't protect them by advocating for basic safety equipment. Maybe the Sabres' management should speak up. After all, this unnecessary, preventable injury could cost them a playoff spot and all of the revenue that goes with that.

zero39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:38 PM
CMP

The powerplay is going to be awful, Gaustad is out too, so there is nobody to take Vanek's spot in front of the net.

CMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:45 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStone87 View Post
If the players association wants face protection than they can have it as far as I'm concerned. I just hate it when rules, laws, and regulations are put into place against the will of the people they're supposedly protecting. The seat belt/cell phone/text messaging crap immediately comes to mind.

I do like to be able to see the players faces though; one of the many things I dislike about football is how disconnected the players are from the fans. The stadiums are huge, and the players look inhuman in their equipment.
The bolded is not to protect a participant. It's to protect innocent bystanders.

signalIInoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:55 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
last time I checked ALL players in the NHL are adults, and are capble of making their own decisions

BUCKSHOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:27 PM
sabreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero39 View Post
Yes, it's a cult. The people in it are called "intelligent". Come on, NHL hockey is more dangerous than it's ever been. With the sticks and the collapsing defensive systems, you constantly have players putting their bodies in the way of 100 mph slap shots. It's ludicrous that their union won't protect them by advocating for basic safety equipment. Maybe the Sabres' management should speak up. After all, this unnecessary, preventable injury could cost them a playoff spot and all of the revenue that goes with that.
You have nothing to substantiate that the NHL is "more dangerous than it's ever been." That is a ridiculous claim to further an agenda.

BAN HOCKEY

sabreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:31 PM
AnotherMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
last time I checked ALL players in the NHL are adults, and are capble of making their own decisions
Last I checked, the NHL owners are still obligated to play the players millions of dollars even if the players get hurt because they made a stupid decision.

AnotherMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:04 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMax View Post
Last I checked, the NHL owners are still obligated to play the players millions of dollars even if the players get hurt because they made a stupid decision.
the owners have insurance that covers the players salary if it is a long term injury (in most cases)

Old
02-08-2009, 08:14 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Eh... then why should they be forced to wear helmets?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:19 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Eh... then why should they be forced to wear helmets?
I never said they should .....

OT - just like you wearing your seatbelt, but don't get me started ....

Old
02-08-2009, 08:33 PM
ajsonor

Vanek does well because of his strength in front of the net. I'm a little worried that he may lose some weight and strength being on a liquid diet for a few weeks.

ajsonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Ddubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor View Post
Vanek does well because of his strength in front of the net. I'm a little worried that he may lose some weight and strength being on a liquid diet for a few weeks.

Ddubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post
It's time for Pominville and Hecht to wake the **** up; otherwise, this stretch could be a nightmare. Without Vanek, we're down to three competent offensive players - Roy, Connolly and Stafford. Pominville's gone 16 games without a goal, and Hecht's performance has been subpar. Step up.
You hit it on the nail.

Besides Miller and the PK, our team has relied on hot streaks from forwards to lead the way. Vanek for a long part, then it was Roy if you remember for a while it seemed he was the best player in the league, then he cooled down and Connolly and Stafford have been outstanding as of late 10 or whatever games. Now, comes the time for Pominville, Hecht and Kotalik to step up. The other guys did it just by playing and it was a nice surprise, however, we must need these guys to step up.

But the show must go on... and we'll see what these guys are made out of.

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Jooce81

Its time for Regier to make a trade for some offense, Connolly can't do it alone. We have assets to make to deal, its time, before we lose position in the standings

Jooce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekera44 View Post
You hit it on the nail.

Besides Miller and the PK, our team has relied on hot streaks from forwards to lead the way. Vanek for a long part, then it was Roy if you remember for a while it seemed he was the best player in the league, then he cooled down and Connolly and Stafford have been outstanding as of late 10 or whatever games. Now, comes the time for Pominville, Hecht and Kotalik to step up. The other guys did it just by playing and it was a nice surprise, however, we must need these guys to step up.

But the show must go on... and we'll see what these guys are made out of.
Exactly. There's absolutely no reason to throw in the towel because one player (yes, he's a very good player) is hurt. There are tons of other guys on this team. They play as a team and win as a team. Time for a few of these guys to step up.

I see absolutely no reason why this team can't continue to climb in the rankings. Saying they don't have Vanek is a cop out. There's millions of dollars worth of NHL caliber players on this hockey team.

I fully expect them to come to play Wednesday.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I see absolutely no reason why this team can't continue to climb in the rankings. Saying they don't have Vanek is a cop out. There's millions of dollars worth of NHL caliber players on this hockey team.
I agree. I don't think Vanek's been a key player in the team's resurgence either. His hat trick against the Leafs came against a minor league goalie on team that was playing no defense when his own team was already up 2-0. His play has been Satanesque.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I agree. I don't think Vanek's been a key player in the team's resurgence either. His hat trick against the Leafs came against a minor league goalie on team that was playing no defense when his own team was already up 2-0. His play has been Satanesque.
That's being quite short-sighted. His goal scoring may not have been there, but he's still been a force offensively. Ask Tim Connolly what he thinks of not playing with his set-up guy.

Vanek does a whole lot of things that helps that line roll offensively. His mere presence creates space for Stafford/Connolly (and Roy before), because you know if there's one member of that line you cannot leave undefended, it's #26.

That's not to say they can't be successful without him, there's still enough talent offensively on this team. But to say that Vanek hasn't been a key contributor to the resurgence is absolutely false.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:22 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Disagree. We've seen a more rounded offensive game from Vanek since united with Connolly. His absence will be felt.

This team will be FINE if Pominville contributes offensively. Forget about Hecht...Pominville needs to bring it.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
wow...

20 pts in 17 games since Jan 1...

yea, thats not key.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
I'm not sure I would go that far, but I think it's true that the guy who was the clear cut best player on the ice on many nights at the start of the season has not been very consistent with his dominance. What we are seeing is that he's got enough god given talent to continue to produce, even if he's not at the top of his game.

His play without the puck has gone downhill, and the percentage of mediocre games vs. good or great games isn't as positive as it was early in the year. I think you can see that when looking over the GBUs from the last 6-8 weeks.

I still have concerns that when the going gets tough in the midst of a playoff push or a playoff series we will be cursing our $7M franchise winger. I'm not sold on him in that regard as of yet. Time will tell.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:03 AM
BrodieBruce

mair looked good in front of the net on that one goal...

BrodieBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Damn it. That puts him returning right around the deadline. I was hoping they could solidify playoff position pre-deadline and then go shopping for a bit of depth. It'll be interesting to see how guys like Roy and Stafford respond to even more pressure, as well as if they continue to dial down their defensive game overall.

With both Gaustad and Vanek out, I would expect Hecht to get the screening job he's had at various times since the lockout, at least in the short-term.

02-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Damn it. That puts him returning right around the deadline. I was hoping they could solidify playoff position pre-deadline and then go shopping for a bit of depth. It'll be interesting to see how guys like Roy and Stafford respond to even more pressure, as well as if they continue to dial down their defensive game overall.

With both Gaustad and Vanek out, I would expect Hecht to get the screening job he's had at various times since the lockout, at least in the short-term.
Kaleta on the PP? Macarthhur wil probably see more "down in front time" too.

Miller has been great over the last month. the next month is c

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote