HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

John Tavares, Draft day

Old
02-08-2009, 08:18 PM
CodeE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post

Not even close, that's a Lindros Value and he is not even on the same planet as Lindros. Seriously take a look at what you just wrote and you tell me how that makes any sense

Please get real
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
95% of these proposals have been dumb and instead of making a crack at a few peoples IQ level. I think I will just ignore this thread altogether.

Just think of it this way, when was the last time the Islanders made a killer deal that helped them?

Exactly
"I don't get it," said the 6-year-old Leafs fan, "Why does the rest of the NHL hate us?"

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4ever View Post
Why bother trading for him if he is going to sign in Toronto when his contract is up anyways?

Leaf fans used to say that about Joe Thornton too.

How did that work out for you?

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:28 PM
leafscrazy

no joke but I bet that bettman's probably gonna do something to help out the Leafs. That could be anywhere from pressuring a poor financial team to trade away some picks to give away salary, to rigging the lottery itself if the Leafs finish in the bottom 4 (a team can't move up more than 4 spots). As much as Islanders fans value the rebirth of their franchise, the rebirth of the Leafs means so much more to the Leafs. It only takes one special player like a Crosby or Ovechkin to go first overall to revive an entire rosters for years to come, meaning higher revenue in TV, ticket sales and merchandise

leafscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob116 View Post
Just to make sure something is clear up front: Tavares is nowhere near the "sure thing superstar" that Lindros was and this "potential deal" should not be compared with what Lindros eventually fetched from Philadelphia.

At the draft in 2008, there was an interview with a couple of scouts. TSN was asking them where they thought Tavares would land if he was available. The consensus was that he rated below Stamkos and Doughtery. Now, rating below Stamkos and Doughtery is no shame - because those are stud prospects. But, it just goes to show that Taveres is probably not one of those generational prospects.

Old
02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafscrazy View Post
no joke but I bet that bettman's probably gonna do something to help out the Leafs. That could be anywhere from pressuring a poor financial team to trade away some picks to give away salary, to rigging the lottery itself if the Leafs finish in the bottom 4 (a team can't move up more than 4 spots). As much as Islanders fans value the rebirth of their franchise, the rebirth of the Leafs means so much more to the Leafs. It only takes one special player like a Crosby or Ovechkin to go first overall to revive an entire rosters for years to come, meaning higher revenue in TV, ticket sales and merchandise

Right, the NHL sun rises and sets on Toronto, so much so that Bettman is going to rig the lottery to make sure you get the prospect you want.

I remember Leaf fans on this board make similar arguments about Crosby.

Try a little reality. The Leafs are not getting any special treatment from anybody. Toronto is just another NHL city.

Old
02-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Nope, this is the kind of package Snow would offer for the #1 pick if he was the GM of the Leafs. No one else on this planet would offer that much.

And, here comes Dubey right on time with the idiotic insults....

Old
02-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Regin 43*

We will give up Heatley for the 1st + a little.

Heatley for Tavares +Bergenheim?

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster1330 View Post
We will give up Heatley for the 1st + a little.

Heatley for Tavares +Bergenheim?
Looks a lot like the Yashin deal to me. The last thing the Isles need to do is trade their pick in a deal of this nature.

Oh, and keep in mind that the Isles don't have taveres yet. There is a lottery, we are still jocking with Atlanta for position, and it is entirely possible that Snow has Hedman higher.

Old
02-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Looks a lot like the Yashin deal to me. The last thing the Isles need to do is trade their pick in a deal of this nature.

Oh, and keep in mind that the Isles don't have taveres yet. There is a lottery, we are still jocking with Atlanta for position, and it is entirely possible that Snow has Hedman higher.

Yeah as a sens fan, I would personally prefer Hedman. He fills our needs more. For everyone that thinks it's Tavares #1 for sure really need to reconsider. Team needs are just as important as the World Junior Championships.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster1330 View Post
Yeah as a sens fan, I would personally prefer Hedman. He fills our needs more. For everyone that thinks it's Tavares #1 for sure really need to reconsider. Team needs are just as important as the World Junior Championships.

Actually, when you think of it, it would make far more sense of the SENS to trade away their first than the Isles. Sens are really only a #1 dman and a solid goalie away from returning to elite status.

Old
02-08-2009, 10:06 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Actually, when you think of it, it would make far more sense of the SENS to trade away their first than the Isles. Sens are really only a #1 dman and a solid goalie away from returning to elite status.
Yeah, I agree actually. Especially considering they have two firsts this year.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:07 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
I'm gonna bump this thread and laugh when the isles lose the draft lottery
As an Islanders fan, if the Islander finish last(very likely) I could care less if they lose the draft lottery. To be honest I rather they pick Hedman, and by picking second we probably will get him with no second guessing by the fanbase.

But it's sort of a case do you want a million dollars in gold or a million dollars in silver.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
As an Islanders fan, if the Islander finish last(very likely) I could care less if they lose the draft lottery. To be honest I rather they pick Hedman, and by picking second we probably will get him with no second guessing by the fanbase.

I wouldn't be surprised if we wound up #3 or #4 overall. Atlanta looks horrible right now, and Yanic Danis is red hot.

Old
02-08-2009, 10:16 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafscrazy View Post

I'm a Leafs fan and this is crazy-talk. If anything Bettman would do the opposite because I suspect he would rate saving the Islander's franchise as more important than helping an already healthy Maple Leaf fanbase. Sure, the NHL would make a ridiculous amount on merchandise and such, but from what I can tell Bettman is pretty set on keeping the current franchises intact. Plus, he would never interfere in such a way. Its ridiculous.

With respect to the Tavares trade question... I highly doubt it would happen because the value of Tavares on the Island (i.e., to save the franchise) is so high that the Leafs (of whoever) would have to overpay ridiculously. I suspect Burke could care less how much MLSE makes on jersey sales.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:33 PM
yay

From the Caps:
Eric Fehr/Oskar Osala
Josh Godfrey
1st '09
2nd '10
1-2 other prospects not named Carlson, Alzner or Varlamov.

OR:
Semin

Proposal 1 stocks the NYI with solid prospects, and leaves the Caps offense & defense pretty much the same. All good NHL caliber prospects.

Proposal 2... just a random thought.

Would make the Caps offense ridiculous. EDIT: Not really making a serious attempt at a proposal, this isn't the kind of thing George McPhee does. But I just figured I'd have some fun.

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:34 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Why the hell would Bettman want to help the Leafs relative to other teams

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy17 View Post
From the Caps:
Eric Fehr/Oskar Osala
Josh Godfrey
1st '09
2nd '10
1-2 other prospects not named Carlson, Alzner or Varlamov.

OR:
Semin

Proposal 1 stocks the NYI with solid prospects, and leaves the Caps offense & defense pretty much the same. All good NHL caliber prospects.

Proposal 2... just a random thought.

Would make the Caps offense ridiculous. EDIT: Not really making a serious attempt at a proposal, this isn't the kind of thing George McPhee does. But I just figured I'd have some fun.

Not that it matters, but I don't think the OP intended to start a "Tavares proposal thread." I think he was interested in chatting about what it would take to get Taveres to the Leafs.

Oh, and I wouldn't do either of your deals. .

Old
02-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
Why the hell would Bettman want to help the Leafs relative to other teams

Not only wouldn't he do that - he couldn't do it. Despite common misconceptions, Bettman has no magical powers and can't control how the balls spin in a lottery.

Old
02-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Yashin for President

I think Hedman is the pick only if he comes to the Island immediatly. If he doesnt come asap take Taveras. We cant go another year like this one. we need something to get excited about besides Bailey KO and the rest of the gang. We are so weak on defensive prospects that it would actually benefit us if we had the number 1 pick and trade down to the 2nd pick and take Hedman.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
I think Hedman is the pick only if he comes to the Island immediatly. If he doesnt come asap take Taveras. We cant go another year like this one. we need something to get excited about besides Bailey KO and the rest of the gang. We are so weak on defensive prospects that it would actually benefit us if we had the number 1 pick and trade down to the 2nd pick and take Hedman.
I think long term Hedman might be the better pick but short term Tavares more likely to payoff sooner. Considering the Islanders are a team that needs to put butts in the seats I think that will factor in heavily with who they pick(read that top scoring center more of a draw then a #1 defenseman)

Old
02-09-2009, 12:48 AM
rye&ginger

Quote:

They cant score to save their lives. So many of their guys had career years last year, which doesnt happen again as we see this year.

Sens are in a lot of trouble IMO. They are like the Canucks post Bertuzzi-Moore, when it all fell apart when it wasnt that well held together in the first place.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:59 AM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Always blows my mind that people on this site treat prospects like they're guaranteed to reach their potential. No wonder I took a 3 year hiatus. This is kinda embarrassing, people.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:15 AM
bzer

Plenty of good prospects in this draft.
I rather stick to a Duchene or MSP then trade a major core for Tavares.

bzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:17 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale View Post
Always blows my mind that people on this site treat prospects like they're guaranteed to reach their potential. No wonder I took a 3 year hiatus. This is kinda embarrassing, people.
I don't see many talking about Tavares being a sure fire superstar. It's all speculative how well he will be. Thing is that #1 pick does have value(and in this case alot of value). As an Islanders fan, there isn't much to look forward to at this point beyond the trade deadline and draft. With this being a board about future prospects, I think you also have to expect alot of talk about prospects.

Old
02-09-2009, 01:28 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

IMO, the battle of the top two picks is going to be between OTT and TOR.

TOR drafts Tavares
OTT drafts Hedman

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote