HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Vanek Update

Old
02-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Kaleta on the PP? Macarthhur wil probably see more "down in front time" too.

Miller has been great over the last month. the next month is c
Mac did a solid job on the second unit earlier in the year. He's a productive choice. Hecht had that job at points in the Drury-Briere years -- not all that productive on the scoresheet but he did spend time camped in front.

I'd rather not let guys take free chops, slashes or cross-checks on Pat in that role. Keep him on the third line -- he's the only guy I notice most of the time on that current Mac-Hecht-Kaleta line -- and mix him into the penalty kill should work.

02-09-2009, 12:46 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
In other news:

Thomas Vanek in a wet suit? Or chick from deep blue sea.

YOU DECIDE

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:51 AM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan6781 View Post
Its time for Regier to make a trade for some offense, Connolly can't do it alone. We have assets to make to deal, its time, before we lose position in the standings
Don't count on it. I expect the Sabres to ride this out until the deadline and then decide what to do trade-wise then. Hopefully they can stay in sight of the four seed still and not fall below seventh without Vanek. It's going to be a make-or-break month, probably.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post
Don't count on it. I expect the Sabres to ride this out until the deadline and then decide what to do trade-wise then. Hopefully they can stay in sight of the four seed still and not fall below seventh without Vanek. It's going to be a make-or-break month, probably.
Yep. Besides, with the way the West has tightened up, there are far fewer potential sellers right now. I can see Regier sitting tight for the next couple weeks, awaiting a few more teams to slip out of contention. And I can see him utilizing his own in this instance -- someone getting the call initially, to do this on the cheap.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Luceni

How about try to trade for the sedins?

To Van:
Roy, MacArthur, Hecht or T.J Brennan and a draft pick

To Buf:
D. Sedin, H. Sedin.

Would be a solid lineup, especially the top 6:

Sedin - Sedin - Pomineville
Vanek - Connolly - Stafford
Paille - Gaustad - Kaleta
Mair - Ellis - Paetsch

Last edited by Luceni: 02-09-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
How about try to sign the sedins?

A package around Roy should make the Canucks listen.
Personally, I'm not interested in either dealing Roy or signing either of the twins.

Old
02-09-2009, 01:29 AM
BrodieBruce

Yeah, dealing Roy would not be wise unless the offer was a steal for the Sabres and even then, it would likely have to be a huge upgrade

BrodieBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieBruce View Post
Yeah, dealing Roy would not be wise unless the offer was a steal for the Sabres and even then, it would likely have to be a huge upgrade

Roy's production and contract make him exceptionally valuable. The Sedins are reportedly looking for $14M combined. I can't see the Sabres footing that bill ever.

Coming back around to Vanek's status, I wonder if they'd give Mancari another spin in the top 9. He's got the size and ability to work the low slot and crease areas, wouldn't be looked at as a banger, and could use it as an audition for many teams for this summer (RFA's need not all be highly paid to get offers).

Old
02-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Cole?

I know it popped up on Eklund, but he was a guy I thought of when I read that Vanek's out for 3 weeks. I'd be curious to know if Edmonton would be willing to work a deal around Tallinder now that Vishnovsky is out for the year. Yes, yes, Cole's a rental and Hank's signed through next year, but there is the idea of getting a little more bite in the forward ranks and freeing up someone like Al in trade for someone like O'Brien. Cole and O'Brien vs. Kotalik and Tallinder? Thoughts?

Old
02-09-2009, 03:02 AM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresKings2611 View Post
Per LGS.

We're royally screwed if he misses anytime.
Any. Time.

Two words. LGS needs some help.

On a serious note, you wouldn't think he'd miss TOO much time. These guys are hockey players. He'll be fine. He's got a Richard Trophy to win.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:14 AM
BisonFlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I agree. I don't think Vanek's been a key player in the team's resurgence either. His hat trick against the Leafs came against a minor league goalie on team that was playing no defense when his own team was already up 2-0. His play has been Satanesque.
You are joking right?

BisonFlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:39 AM
clumping platelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
In other news:

Thomas Vanek in a wet suit? Or chick from deep blue sea.

YOU DECIDE

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:41 AM
Luceni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Roy's production and contract make him exceptionally valuable. The Sedins are reportedly looking for $14M combined. I can't see the Sabres footing that bill ever.

That's wrong. They said they are looking for a long term contract close to 5 Million.

I'd trade Roy, Mac, Hecht or T.J Brennan and a draft pick to Vancouver to get them both and sign them both for 6 years, 5,5 mill cap hit.

I think they can help us to get better. A top 6 including Connolly, Stafford, Pomineville, Vanek and the Sedins is great.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Vito_81

Terrible news.

I assume we're looking at a Vanek return around the 10th of March or so. We're going to probably be without him for about 14 games. Not the end of the world, but like others have said it's time for Pominville to step up.

I see Thomas returning closer to 3 weeks than 4, he just seems like a guy who won't be held out of the lineup as long as he can go. Going .500 or better without TV won't be an issue if Miller continues to play how he's been and we get guys like Hecht, Poms and Kotalik stepping up.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:33 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I agree. I don't think Vanek's been a key player in the team's resurgence either. His hat trick against the Leafs came against a minor league goalie on team that was playing no defense when his own team was already up 2-0. His play has been Satanesque.
I was thinking this too but was waiting for someone else to say it. I don't get to see all the games but according to GBU's he's been the worst forward on the ice for Buffalo in a handful of games. I'm thinking Anaheim and Montreal here but I might be mistaken...

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:43 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

<fantasyland>

Pittsburgh wakes up to the fact that they don't have enough depth, and can't afford to keep both Crosby and Malkin. So they dump Therrien, and look to move Malkin.

To PIT: Roy, Pominville (and Max?)
To BUF: Malkin

When Vanek's back, we can bump Connolly and Stafford down to the 2nd line.

Vanek Malkin Kotalik
Mac/Hecht Connolly Stafford

</fantasyland>

Back to reality, hopefully they can pull through without Vanek and not lose their place in the standings. Maybe Miller can steal a few games for us. I would hope to see a move to at least shore up the defense at the trade deadline.

I would love to find a defensive version of Kaleta - hell, Kaleta is close as-is. Someone inexpensive, not afraid to sacrifice himself to block shots and make hits. Not easily intimidated. Doesn't need to have a ton of speed or skill, but makes sound decisions.

On the bright side, all these injuries are giving us a chance to really test our depth. Getting these young guys NHL experience now could really pay off in a deep playoff run when the injuries start piling up.

Obviously the playoffs are different beast, but I have to think these guys will be able to acclimate to an NHL playoff game much quicker then they would coming in straight from the AHL.

Last edited by jlr: 02-09-2009 at 10:17 AM.
jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I know it popped up on Eklund, but he was a guy I thought of when I read that Vanek's out for 3 weeks. I'd be curious to know if Edmonton would be willing to work a deal around Tallinder now that Vishnovsky is out for the year. Yes, yes, Cole's a rental and Hank's signed through next year, but there is the idea of getting a little more bite in the forward ranks and freeing up someone like Al in trade for someone like O'Brien. Cole and O'Brien vs. Kotalik and Tallinder? Thoughts?
if we could get a pick out of the deal as well. then count me in.

Tallinder for Cole, 2nd
Kotalik for Obrien

we get tougher on the blueline and add a veteran scorer to the top 6.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Kruschiki

I'm surprised it took this long for him to get injured given where he earns his living.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:17 AM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
<fantasyland>
Pittsburgh wakes up to the fact that they don't have enough depth, and can't afford to keep both Crosby and Malkin. So they dump Therrien, and look to move Malkin.

To BUF: Malkin</fantasyland>
Well, the problem with that comes down to money. Roy + Pominville make $9.3 million combined moving forward against Malkin's $8.7 million.

If Pitt was genuinely interested in moving Malkin, you're looking at Roy + prospects, depth players and/or picks, and the Sabres would then still need dump Poms to free up the salary space.

jpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:27 AM
The Real

There is no way that Pittsburgh moves Malkin. They would be the worst run NHL team if they did.

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:46 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb View Post
Well, the problem with that comes down to money. Roy + Pominville make $9.3 million combined moving forward against Malkin's $8.7 million.

If Pitt was genuinely interested in moving Malkin, you're looking at Roy + prospects, depth players and/or picks, and the Sabres would then still need dump Poms to free up the salary space.
The problem with that isn't money, it's that Roy + Pominville would be nowhere near the value Pittsburgh would be looking at to move Malkin.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
<fantasyland>

To BUF: Malkin

For now, we can put Malkin in Vanek's spot. When Vanek's back, we can bump either Connolly or Stafford down with Roy.

Vanek Malkin Stafford
Roy Connolly X

or

Vanek Connolly Malkin
X Roy Stafford

Either one of those first lines makes me drool.

</fantasyland>
First of all Pittsburgh doesn't even listen to offers for Malkin. Second of all if we trade Roy to Pittsburgh how is he on your second line?

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Ddubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
The problem with that isn't money, it's that Roy + Pominville would be nowhere near the value Pittsburgh would be looking at to move Malkin.
They wouldn't answer the phone unless we were sending back Vanek and a 1st at the very least. MALKIN>CROSBY.

Ddubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:12 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real View Post
There is no way that Pittsburgh moves Malkin. They would be the worst run NHL team if they did.
I don't think it's very likely either (hence the <fantasyland>), but on the other hand if you're Pittsburgh here's what you're looking at as you approach the trade deadline:

- Currently 10th place in the standings, with a 30% chance of making the playoffs*. You've also played at least 1 or 2 more games than the teams above you.

- Next year you'll have about $18 million tied up in 2 players, albeit extremely talented players. Assuming the cap stays the same or drops slightly, you're now spending 1/3rd of your payroll on 2 players.

So, if I'm looking at that situation as an owner, I fire Therrien first. And unless I have a phenomenal drafting and development system with a lot of young cheap talent, the only way I can justify spending that kind of dough on 2 players is if one of them is an elite goalie who can single handedly steal games for you.

* Source: sportsclubstats.com

Old
02-09-2009, 10:13 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
First of all Pittsburgh doesn't even listen to offers for Malkin. Second of all if we trade Roy to Pittsburgh how is he on your second line?
Doh! Edit in progress.