HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs forwards: The Kostopoulos test

Old
02-08-2009, 01:02 PM
wolfinhabsclothing

vCash: 500
Habs forwards: The Kostopoulos test

Here's a little exercise for you all -

The goal that Tom Kostopoulos scored against the Leafs on Saturday is a perfect example of the work ethic this team needs to be successful - particularly the forwards. Kostopoulos went into the corner, took/gave a hit, worked his butt off to get the puck to the net, got up, and dove to knock in the puck when it came loose. What an effort!

Now, ask yourself which forwards on this Habs team would make that kind of effort to get to a loose puck, and which would just sit there, on the perimiter, waiting for the puck to make it's way back to them? The answers will tell you who should stay, who should go, and what type of player this team is lacking. Here's my take:

The guys who make the play (or at least the effort): Kostopoulos, Lapierre, Koivu, Higgins, D'Agostini, Pacioretty, Begin, Laraque.

The guys who sit back: Kovalev, Plekanec, Andrei K., Sergei K.

Injured forwards are excluded.

In all seriousness, I really believe Kovalev is becoming a distraction on this team - a distraction that is rubbing off on some of the younger Euros. I hate to say it, but I'll be happy when he's gone and perhaps the sooner the better.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Craig71

You sir are very right. This is what I have been saying all along, how many top teams in this league can win without grinding it out and working hard? I don't know why we are even considered a cup contender. Is it because of the 100 year thing or the notion of this team being a replica of some of the teams in the habs history that have won? This is no winning team, this is a team filled with guys who are not competing for each other, nobody sticks up for anyone, nobody defends their teammates in the media, no one sticks up for anyone, lines are juggled every night to no avail, so it's obvious carbo can't fix it but at least he's trying. This teams top line would make third lines at best on any cup contending team in this league,and as far as Price goes, you show me any team in this leaguethat expects perfection out of a young goalie like the habs are expecting out of Price, Montreal could have had cujo last year and that would help Price instead of hurt him, they then could have traded Halak for a much needed defenceman, Halak will never be number one in montreal, but he is good enough to be a starter, I heard Gainey himself say last year that he had lots of offers for Halak, so why did'nt he trade him and adress a team need? This team needs a shakeup soon or it will be too late.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post
Now, ask yourself which forwards on this Habs team would make that kind of effort to get to a loose puck, and which would just sit there, on the perimiter, waiting for the puck to make it's way back to them? The answers will tell you who should stay, who should go, and what type of player this team is lacking. Here's my take:

The guys who make the play (or at least the effort): Kostopoulos, Lapierre, Koivu, Higgins, D'Agostini, Pacioretty, Begin, Laraque.

The guys who sit back
: Kovalev, Plekanec, Andrei K., Sergei K.
So you don't think Andrei Kostitsyn is willing to work hard enough and pay the price to score goals, is that an accurate summary of your thoughts? It's true some of the time, I'll give you that. And we all know he could do better than he is right now. But a perimiter guy? A guy who we should get rid of?

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?h...03&event=MTL79
http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?h...03&event=PIT55
http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?h...03&event=PIT99
http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?h...3&event=MTL481
http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?h...3&event=BOS274
http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?h...3&event=OTT251
http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?h...&event=MTL1107

And that's just from this year. And there are others where he is in front of or around the net and scores but isn't really under any pressure. And that doesn't include any examples of the number of times he is in front of the net when a teammate scores.

He's my favourite player so I'll always look to defend him and lately, he hasn't been consistently on his game as we've seen and he does need to step it up. And he does sometimes stand around waiting for the puck to come to him. But what you fail to mention is that around half the time, he is standing around waiting in front of the net, where tough Canadian farm boys go to pay the price to score goals in the NHL. The kid managed to push Chara away from the crease this year so Kovalev could score. Know many perimiter players who shove Chara around in front of his own net? If you do, I'd love to hear some names. From my point of view, not only have you got AK46 on the wrong list, he'd also be above a number of the guys you put on the makes the effort/we should keep list. He is inconsistent, yes, but he isn't our joint leading goal scorer as a result of points shots, empty nets and fluke goals from the perimiter.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:15 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

You can't blame Andrei K, you could see he has effort but his line mates don't help him at all. He was doing so well with Koivu. Carbo should put him back with him on the RW!

Higgins-Koivu-AKost

Not hard Carbo, not hard.

QGD got in bang on too.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 05:28 PM
JV

Quote:
In all seriousness, I really believe Kovalev is becoming a distraction on this team - a distraction that is rubbing off on some of the younger Euros. I hate to say it, but I'll be happy when he's gone and perhaps the sooner the better.
Agreed.

AK and his brother should stay. I think both have it in them.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:01 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Here's a little exercise for you all -

The goal that Tom Kostopoulos scored against the Leafs on Saturday is a perfect example of the work ethic this team needs to be successful - particularly the forwards. Kostopoulos went into the corner, took/gave a hit, worked his butt off to get the puck to the net, got up, and dove to knock in the puck when it came loose. What an effort!

The guys who sit back: Kovalev, Plekanec, Andrei K., Sergei K.

Injured forwards are excluded.

Last season Sergei was part of that hard working group. this season he lost some of that work ethic. AK was part of that group as well last season and some of this season.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt walker View Post
Thats the problem with Gary Betman's N H L to many women like TK AK SK SB they yap or swing the stick the linesman should let them go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Um, wut?

I kinda agree with the OP. Not enough players getting their noses dirty in front of the net to score. AKost has scored some nice goals like this but he does not do it with enough consistency and it is a little disappointing.

I am not one of the Xenophobes who say get rid of all the Euros and get good N.A. boys in there, but if you look at the list of players mentioned it is what it is. Saku goes to the net but Plex does not. AKost will go occasionally, same as Guillame right before he got injured. When the pretty plays aren't working you have to do what Tommy Kost did Saturday.

Bottom line, we need more players who will go to the dirty areas to score, whatever nationality they may be.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote