HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stafford to VAN

Old
02-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Diamonddog01

vCash: 500
Stafford to VAN

Just curious as to what it would take to get Stafford to Vancouver. My offer would be

Van

Stafford

Buf

Bieksa

Straight up.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Towelie*

Stafford isn't going to be traded at this point.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Biggzy*

Great trade for Vancouver. Stafford is underrated.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:54 PM
8BostonRocker24

Bad trading partners. Buffalo needs a young, cheap #1 center for Stafford.

Very underrated player here.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:24 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Good value here for both teams. Buffalo could use Bieksa on D but Stafford has really turned it up lately, and is showing all that promise. Helps playing on a line with Vanek and Connolly, two very offensive players.

Couldn't pull the trigger on this one but good value and proposal. Have to agree that bringining in a top center would be first priority, has been since.......

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:33 PM
FuzzyTitus

In another Buffalo trade thread the said they are fine with their centers, they want LWers now. So maybe add in Raymond in that proposal, although I think the Canucks want to hold onto Bieksa unless they are getting a Dman prospect back.

FuzzyTitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:37 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'd want Kesler if we're giving up Stafford.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Kesler or we dont even listen

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthropyre View Post
In another Buffalo trade thread the said they are fine with their centers, they want LWers now. So maybe add in Raymond in that proposal, although I think the Canucks want to hold onto Bieksa unless they are getting a Dman prospect back.
That's far, far from the consensus. The great majority of right-thinking individuals know that the Sabres need to add a solid centerman if they have any long-term hopes for success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Kesler or we dont even listen
Pretty much. Stafford's been playing like everybody hoped he could, and he still has time to grow. No sense in trading him unless it's for a really solid return.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Diamonddog01

You don't think Bieksa is a solid return? At the moment it looks as though you could also use a #2/#3 defenceman locked up for several more years at a reasonable contract.

I'd do Bieksa & Raymond for Stafford and a mid-level pick/prospect.

Old
02-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
You don't think Bieksa is a solid return? At the moment it looks as though you could also use a #2/#3 defenceman locked up for several more years at a reasonable contract.

I'd do Bieksa & Raymond for Stafford and a mid-level pick/prospect.
Bieksa is locked up for 2 more seasons, that's not several.

and yes, we could use a defensemen, and i would love to get Bieksa (love his game).

but Vanek-Connolly-Stafford has been so hot for the last 6 weeks... its the first legitimate signs of a dominant first line in Buffalo since Briere left.

Stafford is playing like the skilled power forward we have been awaiting. at 22 years old, you have to overpay big time, and Bieksa is barely fair value

Bieksa and Kesler or Buffalo passes. it has to be an overpayment. Stafford looks that good.

Old
02-09-2009, 03:05 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
but Vanek-Connolly-Stafford has been so hot for the last 6 weeks... its the first legitimate signs of a dominant first line in Buffalo since Briere left.

Bieksa and Kesler or Buffalo passes. it has to be an overpayment. Stafford looks that good.
Vanek is out 3-4 weeks and Connolly will be injured by the time he gets back, but that's beside the point.

If Vancouver offered Kesler for Stafford and a pick/prospect, Buffalo would listen. It wouldn't take Kesler AND Bieksa to get them to answer the phone, don't be ridiculous. That's like saying we wouldn't listen if Buffalo offered Pominville for Bieksa straight up, they'd have to include Connolly.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:06 PM
BCS

Stafford's finally turning into the scoring power forward he was supposed to be; thus, he's not going anywhere.

You want a winger? Take Pominville for Bieksa.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:07 PM
KillerWhale

Quote:
Yes I realize Stafford scored a highlight reel goal the other night... but you wouldn't even get Kesler for Stafford...

KillerWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:07 PM
slugfest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
That's far, far from the consensus. The great majority of right-thinking individuals know that the Sabres need to add a solid centerman if they have any long-term hopes for success.

Pretty much. Stafford's been playing like everybody hoped he could, and he still has time to grow. No sense in trading him unless it's for a really solid return.
Well it should be the consensus that we need a LW not a C. You can't just assume Connolly is going to get injured again because he has a history. He's been playing for weeks now and as long as he's in the lineup we have absolutely no need for a Center. We have no LW to play on our second line though. LW is easily a bigger need than Center right now.

I do agree with you that I wouldn't want to trade Stafford though because he's playing up to his potential now. Raymond and Bieksa sounds like a tempting offer though.

slugfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Yes I realize Stafford scored a highlight reel goal the other night... but you wouldn't even get Kesler for Stafford...
Only because Kesler is one of the core players on this team and is almost untouchable, not because of their objective values (although I'm sure Sabres fans could use the same argument about Stafford).

Bieksa & Raymond for

Stafford, 2009 2nd

Still doesn't address Buffalo's need for another centre but shores up the other roster holes heading into next season.

Old
02-09-2009, 03:11 PM
slugfest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post
Stafford's finally turning into the scoring power forward he was supposed to be; thus, he's not going anywhere.

... what??? What the heck is with the Pominville hate daily. I guess 65 to 80 points a year while being a great defensive forward isn't enough for you guys.

Lets just screw our second line over and watch our playoff hopes go down the drain.

Old
02-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post

I'd do that too, you'd prefer to trade Pominville before Stafford??

Old
02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Bad trading partners. Buffalo needs a young, cheap #1 center for Stafford.

Very underrated player here.
You mean other than Derek Roy?

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:15 PM
mmfs*

Yes, let's trade Stafford since Vanek is out for a month. It just makes so much sense.

mmfs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
and that's why you think that way... because that's the only thing youve seen stafford do this year.

Stafford has 15 pts in 17 games since Jan 1 when Buffalo's hot streak started. It also coincided with the creation of the Vanek-Connolly-Stafford line, which is probably near the top of the league in pts since Jan 1.

I know how valuable Kesler is. Neither team would trade the 2 players we are talking about. thats the point. end of discussion.

Old
02-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Only because Kesler is one of the core players on this team and is almost untouchable, not because of their objective values (although I'm sure Sabres fans could use the same argument about Stafford).

Bieksa & Raymond for

Stafford, 2009 2nd

Still doesn't address Buffalo's need for another centre but shores up the other roster holes heading into next season.
Why does Buffalo add a 2nd? (a 2nd that they dont have by the way).

You can always tell when you are underpaying. it's simple. when you are trading your spare parts for exactly what you need.

I like Bieksa, but no way is he getting you Stafford.

Bieksa, Raymond, 1st
for
Pominville

id consider that, but even that is a stretch. Buffalo would have to trade Tallinder elsewhere.

Old
02-09-2009, 03:23 PM
slugfest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal View Post
You mean other than Derek Roy?
And Connolly. Buffalo has two of the best Centers in the league. People just assume Connolly is going to get "injured" again real soon so they think we need a Center real bad. I say just put faith in Connolly staying healthy and find a second line LW by using picks and prospects.

Old
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
KillerWhale

Quote:
I know how valuable Kesler is. Neither team would trade the 2 players we are talking about. thats the point. end of discussion.
Actually it is surprising how close the two players really are. Beyond similar size, age and nationality, they're both gritty two way players with speed who project to have the same point production come seasons end. I'd give Kesler the current advantage due to a better defensive game although it looks like Stafford may have a higher ceiling offensively.

KillerWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I'd do that too, you'd prefer to trade Pominville before Stafford??
its not about preferring. its about whats feasible.

Buffalo has 41 mil committed in salary next year. and Stafford, Sekera, MacArthur, and Kaleta are RFA.

Buffalo, to take on a contract of decent size (Bieksa) would need to move a contract of similar size. Bieksa(3.5 next year) + Raymond(.75) = 4.25. Pominville = 5.3 next year