HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Quailer Live on TV Tonight Part II

Old
02-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Steve Quailer Live on TV Tonight Part II

Just as an appetizer prior to tonight's game against Calgary, on Sportsnet at 8:00PM, final of what's called the Beanpot Tournament played at the home of the Bruins against Boston University. Northeastern has been pretty great this year but Boston University will be a tough team to play against with a lot of guys already drafted with names like Gryba, Shattenkirk, Warsofsky, Strait, Trivino, Saponari, Cohen and Colin Wilson to name a few but they have 5 or 6 more. In comparison, NU has....2 guys already drafted....Quailer and his senior centerman Vitale. Note though, their goalie Thiessen will certainly be invited to a next pro camp for sure.

Add to that the kid that is talked a lot as one of the 2 UFA's that are really wanted by NHL team #97, d-man Matt Gilroy.

But our own Steve Quailer (#10) has had a pretty good freshman year so far.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
All Sportsnet? I don't want to get jiffed again by having Ontario.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
All Sportsnet? I don't want to get jiffed again by having Ontario.
Actually Thief50 has it on East, Ontario and Pacific. I don't have the hours yet 'cause the Sportsnet schedule doesn't seem to be working at this time. I'll comeback with the exact time later.

Old
02-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Bump. Just to say that Sportsnet East, Ontario and Pacific have the game at 8:00PM eastern time, like it was already mentioned on Thief50 site.

Let's hope for a good game for our prospect in approx. 1 hour from now.

Old
02-09-2009, 06:05 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

I wish Sportsnet had a replay during the night or the morning.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
I wish Sportsnet had a replay during the night or the morning.
Same here. We're a little spoiled with NHL Network I guess...
Seems that the visiting team is at home tonight....Boston University getting most of the cheers.

Also if you want to see THE other Chris Higgins...he plays with Boston University.

Old
02-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Good first shift by Quailer, showing his speed and his awareness as far as his passing game is concerned.

Old
02-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Great news and maybe not that great.....They just announced that Sportnset will be carrying some NCAA games, if I heard correctly at 7 games will be presented till the end of the year. Bad news is that seems to me they are just referring to the Hockey East Conference which means the only prospect we could be seeing is Quailer. Now, I'm not even sure if Northeastern will be aired during those games. So stay tuned.

Old
02-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great news and maybe not that great.....They just announced that Sportnset will be carrying some NCAA games, if I heard correctly at 7 games will be presented till the end of the year. Bad news is that seems to me they are just referring to the Hockey East Conference which means the only prospect we could be seeing is Quailer. Now, I'm not even sure if Northeastern will be aired during those games. So stay tuned.
Does that mean that Quailer will become overrated on these boards?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

WOW....referee just receive the puck directly in the face....lots of blood and poor guy crawling waiting for some help....love how the camera zoomed on the blood on the ice.....

Old
02-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Does that mean that Quailer will become overrated on these boards?
Not really. If you exclude the fact that he could become the greatest left winger in the history of the team.....

Seriously, I think instead of hearing about them and discussing about what other people are saying on our prospects, there is a chance now that people can actually see them and rate them as much as they want.

As of now, he is doing great as a freshman and I like his potential. I don't think I'm overrating him by saying so.

Old
02-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Is it just me or Quailer was almost never on the ice? At least, he looked good when he was there. Great speed!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:01 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Is it just me or Quailer was almost never on the ice? At least, he looked good when he was there. Great speed!
+1 watch the 1st period while being on msn/facebook and everytime i watch the tv couldnt find him on the ice!! i tought here we go again another habs prospects injured while he's on tv

but Whitesnake saw him on the ice so good news

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Bobby G

Chris Higgins looked good, didn't notice Quailer, but wasn't looking for him from the 10 minutes I saw. Fun to watch, but it seems like a special-teams fest.

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:04 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

i love the atmosphere we get in those college game, good news RSN is taking the NESN feed for Hockey east hockey for the rest of the year

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Chris Higgins looked good, didn't notice Quailer, but wasn't looking for him from the 10 minutes I saw. Fun to watch, but it seems like a special-teams fest.
I noticed in the first game of the Beanpot that he's never used on 4 on 4 and not that much on PP's either. And tons of those happened in the mid-period so by the time that his regular shift with his line came back, it took a while. I saw him at least on 4 shifts.

Old
02-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Bobby G

Huge goal to take the lead by BU. I was getting into that game, even missed the start of the Habs game. This will make commercial breaks a lot more fun.

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:33 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I didn't get to see the game but I did a short article on my site about the NCAA prospects, as the regular season is about to wrap up with 6 games remaining before the playoffs (some teams have 8 games left). Quailer and McDonagh's team sit in 1st place, but both have huge series coming up with NU playing BU twice, who they are fighting with for 1st and Wisconsin has DU this weekend, who they are fighting with for 1st place.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I didn't get to see the game but I did a short article on my site about the NCAA prospects, as the regular season is about to wrap up with 6 games remaining before the playoffs (some teams have 8 games left). Quailer and McDonagh's team sit in 1st place, but both have huge series coming up with NU playing BU twice, who they are fighting with for 1st and Wisconsin has DU this weekend, who they are fighting with for 1st place.
Finally finished the 2nd and 3rd periods and I have to say I like Quailer. The kid has some serious wheels and really impressive stickhandling abilities. My only concern is that he's not going to initiate contacts. He's not that physical and if he can avoid to hit and instead outwit his opponent he'll do it. Having said that, he can take hits and doesn't fear to go to the net. I saw him trying to deke Shattenkirk, and was going along the boards where Shattenkirk seeing that he was deke decided to hit Quailer severely so he'd lose control of the puck. Well not only he didn't lose the puck, but didn't lose his balance as well (I know it doesn't sound like it but at full speed, it was impressive).

So he played a really good 2nd and 3rd, and I have no idea how he didn't get an assist on the 2nd goal. He was in the corner with 3 BU players around him, succeeded in giving the puck to his d-man who shot on the net for them to be deflected by one of his teamates who buried it.

Anyway, I like what I saw from him. What I would like to see from him in the future? Well as much he's pretty speedy for a big guy with his long strides, he will have to work on his first strides and on his overall agility. Seems to me like a boy who needs to work with his body body of his. I also would love to see him more physical. He needs to initiate contacts to get the puck out of opponents' hands.

P.S. Just wanted to respond here. Any mod could take everything to the prospect thread or I'll just copy and paste this post in it tomorrow.

Old
02-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
It seems that way when you're watching 1 player out of about 20.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote