HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Waived, now Traded: Jussi Jokinen to Carolina

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
You haven't seen Malik play this year then.

Either way it doesn't matter, Melichar is going to Norfolk.
I have, Melichar is just worse. Pens fans had this debate with Canes fans when Carolina signed Melichar in the off season. "Oh, well he can't be worse than (insert player here)!" Yes, yes he can.

Back in 05-06 the Pens had some injuries and Mark Recchi had been dealt, so that left Crosby and LeClair as the only guys who were alternate captains. Melichar was the longest tenured player at that point, so they gave him an A. During the course of the game, it fell off. Even the letter didn't want to be associated with him.

Old
02-07-2009, 10:28 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Melichar is worse that Malik, and as Canes fan i know, i've seen Malik.

Anyways, Jussi is pretty good in his first game here. He has one assist and could easily had couple of more if Larose could finish.

Old
02-08-2009, 05:47 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
"Lawton said Melichar will join Norfolk of the AHL, while it hasn't been decided where Brookbank will play"

02-08-2009, 07:32 AM
VoteNOB

I don't really care about the 2 players we received in this trade, I'm shocked beyond belief that he suckered Carolina into a 4th rounder to go with them. Considering they could have had Jokey for free earlier in the week. Nice work, Lawton Can't wait to see what you get for the Skyway Bridge

Old
02-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteNOB View Post
I don't really care about the 2 players we received in this trade, I'm shocked beyond belief that he suckered Carolina into a 4th rounder to go with them. Considering they could have had Jokey for free earlier in the week. Nice work, Lawton Can't wait to see what you get for the Skyway Bridge
Aye, we really need to stack up with picks, the more we get the greater chance to get something nice out of them. Our prospect pool among forwards are really poor, so need to work on that.

Old
02-08-2009, 09:57 AM
kinggelato

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Melichar is worse that Malik, and as Canes fan i know, i've seen Malik.

Anyways, Jussi is pretty good in his first game here. He has one assist and could easily had couple of more if Larose could finish.
How many dives did he have? Isn't that the most important stat in Carolina.

Old
02-09-2009, 07:40 AM
urho

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteNOB View Post
They had to clear some space for Jokinen, that's why they couldn't take him for free. Brookbank & Melichar were totally useless in Carolina so this trade is kinda better for Hurricanes than getting Juice without 'paying' anything.

Jokinen was good in his first game and overally I feel very positive on this trade. I know he sucked in TB but i also think that it wasn't the best environment for him either... Like it haven't been for quite many players to be honest(?).

Old
02-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

As expected both were waived today

Old
02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
They had to clear some space for Jokinen, that's why they couldn't take him for free. Brookbank & Melichar were totally useless in Carolina so this trade is kinda better for Hurricanes than getting Juice without 'paying' anything.

Jokinen was good in his first game and overally I feel very positive on this trade. I know he sucked in TB but i also think that it wasn't the best environment for him either... Like it haven't been for quite many players to be honest(?).
It was nice to get a pick for him since he didn't fit. We just don't have room for soft wingers who aren't producing in this system. Just not the same style. I liked the guy last season when he was in a position to be a speedy puck dealer.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence, though.

Old
02-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Quote:

Jokinen was the only player who didn't improve with the hiring of Tocchet. Most improved leaps and bounds.

Old
02-09-2009, 03:46 PM
urho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence, though.
Jokinen said:
Quote:
I had been pretty frustrated the last few months in Tampa.
But it may be just him or maybe some problems with coaches? I haven't been following TB very closely but i've got a picture that their player policy isn't the best possible. But that's just my impression, I can be wrong

And I'm sorry about my English, it isn't fluent but i'm trying to improve it...

Old
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Jokinen said:

But it may be just him or maybe some problems with coaches? I haven't been following TB very closely but i've got a picture that their player policy isn't the best possible. But that's just my impression, I can be wrong

And I'm sorry about my English, it isn't fluent but i'm trying to improve it...
No worries, I assumed it was some kind of language barrier.

I don't think it was anything personal against him except maybe they're asking him to play above what he is really built for. I know he really wanted to be a top 6 guy, but with (4, 26, 12, 20, 11, 91, 9) he just hasn't been effective enough to warrant the ice time, so they threw him into a checking role which he isn't fit for, hes not a big guy and not very good along the walls.

His defensive game has improved this year and I was happy to see that, but not at the expense of a lack of offense. I hope the guy finds his calling wherever he ends up, just not against us.

Old
02-09-2009, 04:17 PM
urho

Quote:
I hope the guy finds his calling wherever he ends up, just not against us.
System means a lot, some players just don't fit in every team But I think this was a good move for Jokinen, somehow i have a feeling that Carolina could be the right place for him to play. And of course I hope you use that 4th round pick well

Old
02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
MSL26
Future Hall-of-Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Jokinen was the only player who didn't improve with the hiring of Tocchet. Most improved leaps and bounds.
Except for Malik and Vrbata of course.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
GWF82

Send a message via AIM to GWF82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
As expected both were waived today
Gah, this is driving me nuts for some reason. Melichar was put on recall waivers so that he can play FOR us in the NHL as Ranger is hurt. Theyre hoping he makes it through so we dont have to play with 4 D and a Koci back there. Not entirely expected that Ranger would get hurt and Melichar would need to be recalled.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

People can ***** back and forth all they want but really this trade works out nicely for both sides. We got a pick for a good forward (don't kid yourself, Jokinen is good, he is just soft and doesn't fit here) and another goon to protect the kids in Norfolk as well as someone to fall over for 4-6 minutes a game other than Koci on the blueline. Hopefully the new regime can draft worth a flying **** and it'll make all this worthwhile, and for Jussi's sake I hope he lights the world on fire with some other relatively soft forwards in Carolina.

I just hope he doesn't turn into one of those tools that dives when someones coughs on him. What a ****** way to play hockey.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
MSL26
Future Hall-of-Famer

Quote:
as well as someone to fall over for 4-6 minutes a game other than Koci on the blueline.

Closed Thread