HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Huet trade was a mistake.

Old
02-10-2009, 01:48 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Fairweather Montreal fans? What a shocker! All you have is Carey Price. He's just a thoroughbred, but you blame him when your defense sucks. Good job guys.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Brass

Those fans dum dum dum

cry everynight forrrrrr nothingggg dum dum dum

those eyes has seen a lot of losss , but they never seem to whine enougggggggg

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:18 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Yashvalev View Post
I was leery about it then, now I'm really convinced that trading Huet was a bonehead move. Price is great when he's on but Halak is no Huet to cover for him when he's off his game.
you're right, but you are also 1 year too late... totally irrelevant as far as this year is concerned

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:27 AM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Almost right.

Not signing him wasn't a mistake, trading him right before the playoffs was a huge mistake. We would have gotten past the flyers with Huet when Price was playing like garbage.

Streit, Ryder and Souray all walking for nothing were 3 more big mistakes. Gainey is over-rated and has accomplished nothing in his 5 years as GM, time to move on.
Trading UFA Huet was a mistake, as was NOT trading UFA's Streit, Ryder and Souray? Okay, bipolar. Make up your mind. See the hypocrisy here? OneSharpMarble you are not.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:56 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I will always hate what Carbo and Gainey did to Huet. I remember this like it was yesterday. Carbo for no reasons started pointing fingers at Huet at a time where Christo had really found his game. He was our goalie, maybe finaly becoming a top golaie for the first time since he got here. The press and fans were wondering what was that all about this "calling out". Then shortly after they called back Price to be Huet's backup, little things to attack Huet's confidence. And then in the blink of an eye they trade him for peanuts. Even though Bob had promised Huet he would warn him if he would be traded. Not only that but the arrogance they showed in thinking their cherished young prospect would become another Dryden/Roy in the playoffs. Huet was our guy and they should have signed him for three years. He would have cost a lot less for us that he asked on the free agency, maybe 3.5 or 4. Bottom line, you should stick with your man, not sees stars in your eyes like you're in a dreamworld just because you have a talented prospect. The Bruins stuck by Thomas and he's giving them his all every game like it's his last.

That's an underline of Gainey's regime so far: lack of respect. Lack of respect toward Huet, Streit, Sourey, Rivet. Warriors that had this team at heart. They prefer floaters, prefer POTENTIAL over on-ice results.
You have a really skewed perception of reality. I liked Huet alot but to think that he was an impending UFA and was about to get a hefty raise with Halak sitting in the wings as a steady backup I would have done the same thing. Why pay $4-5M for a long term goalie with your designated #1 (Price) ready to compete for the spot?

Gainey didn't disrespect any player. He sent Rivet to a Cup contender and got a fine D in Gorges and a pick which turned out to be a steal for us. That was brilliant but you make it seem he sent Rivet to Siberia.

Streit wanted to play D, made that known very clearly and managment made a choice to progress O'Byrne rather than to pay $3M to a guy they thought was a bottom pair D. Nobody could foresee O'Byrne taking a step back like he did.

Souray was offered $5.5M and he walked away and then settled for the same money in Edmonton when nobody else came forward. How exactly did Gainey disrespect him? Even Souray admitted that Gainey's first priority should be to sign Markov.

It seems that if he trades an impending UFA he is gutting the team and disrespecting the player BUT if he keeps the player and loses him for nothing he is just a bad GM with no foresight. He can't win when a poster with some hate cherry picks his info on a mission to convince people he is a bad GM.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:03 AM
neofury*

Quote:
I was leery about it then, now I'm really convinced that trading Huet was a bonehead move. Price is great when he's on but Halak is no Huet to cover for him when he's off his game.
LOL believe me, had we kept Huet it would've been Price covering for Huets shortcomings all year long. He's been garbage all year and he's a choker. Sorry but I won't quickly forget the game against Toronto final game of the year where he let in some of the softest goals ever nor will I quickly forget how his team next year lost in the 7th game OT cause he let in what imo wasn't a softy but surely could've been saved if he had been a good goalie positionally.

Good riddance. He was great when he took over for Theodore but he's a 1 trick pony. He won't be chart topping the NHL goalies list anytime soon or at all. Why would we want to waste like 5-6 million in cap space on another Gerber or Theodore. I don't get people like you honestly, you'll cry when Theo is in nets and then we put Huet, then when Huet was garbage you no doubt cried then till your hearts content, now that he's gone and Price is playing like garbage you also cry. Give me a break it's a team game it doesn't rely soley on Price/Halak, we need our team to actually be trying out there and finishing on open net plays. Not only that we need our team to not average 5 shots per period and then expect to win. You can't seriously be trying to say letting go of Huet who would've taken 4+ million to sign was a bad idea. Huet would be ****tier then Price/Halak right now anyways, it's not like he's been doing stellar this season. I'd rather have a **** season and end up in 8th place with a goalie like price then a choker like Huet. At least Price has shown instances of brilliance and could be on fire come playoff time. Huet wouldn't have a hope in hell.

Anyways, the team loses a bunch of games and people think they'd make a better GM then Gainey does. Who would we need out of the lineup if we had Huet, we'd have to have never gotten Lang I guess and then our team without him and with Huet would likely be in 10th place right now so.... lol

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:19 AM
obcd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Almost right.

Not signing him wasn't a mistake, trading him right before the playoffs was a huge mistake. We would have gotten past the flyers with Huet when Price was playing like garbage.

Streit, Ryder and Souray all walking for nothing were 3 more big mistakes. Gainey is over-rated and has accomplished nothing in his 5 years as GM, time to move on.
Wait so trading a player you don't plan to resign is a mistake but not trading a player you might not resign is also a mistake. Way to contradict yourself.
Somebody else was faster then me, I see I am not alone thinking this.

obcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:35 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcd1 View Post
Wait so trading a player you don't plan to resign is a mistake but not trading a player you might not resign is also a mistake. Way to contradict yourself.
Somebody else was faster then me, I see I am not alone thinking this.
His name says it all.

Old
02-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I said that last year. Trading Huet put Price in the line of fire at 20. He was basically given the #1 job without really being pushed. If nothing else, having Huet would have probably gotten us the conference final, no way he plays as bad as Halak and CP did against Phillie.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
No it wasnt. Huet sucked when Price was knocking on the door. Trading Huet was a great move.

edit: Just to add I think the OP suggested we keep paying 3million + for a backup goaltender.

You mean the 2nd half of last year when he led the Habs to the top of the Conference?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:47 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Just don't see how this was a mistake but whatever.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:02 AM
NJDevil22
Vol For Life

I agree I thought trading Huet was a bit pre-mature last year, I thought he could help out price, not only just taking some games, but also giving him advice. With that being said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Why does it matter for this year? Huet wouldn't have been here anyway.
True. Didnt see him staying with the Habs after last season

NJDevil22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:10 AM
smon

Agreed. Mistake last year since the team could have used a veteran goaltender in the playoffs when Price struggled. Carbonneau even started Halak in the dying throes of the Philly series.

This year though? Who cares. Huet would've cost way too much to re-sign, and there's no point tying up money in him if he wasn't going to be the starter. Frankly, why would he want to stay if he wasn't going to get the #1 job?

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

I said it was a mistake right from the start.
We should have kept Huet and broke Price in slowly instead of rushing him into being the #1 goalie in Montreal. We could have used Huet as the #1 and gave Price 30 games a season until he started to get comfortable with the NHL speed and style of game. Then once he was comfortable, Price would start getting most of the playing time with Huet acting as his solid, veteran backup.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Turbo

No it wasn't. That was last year - Huet was going to walk away as a UFA, which he did from Washington to Chicago for $5M. Bob got a 2nd rounder for an asset he would have lost for nothing, and Price took the team to 1st in the East and 2nd round of the Playoffs (as far as Huet ever got in the playoffs and look at the age difference).

Real question should be: was it a mistake to not get a veteran back-up for Price? And that brings up the follow-up question of who was available and at what cost? And what do you do with Halak and the slim returns he would have gotten if you needed to move him?

Remember that the team had a glaring need for help at center and scoring and that those acquisitions took the team close to the cap - injuries to those key acquisitions (and the general injury plague of this year, of which Price was also affected) is hard to plan for in the cap environment.

Hindsight is 20-20.

My opinion was that the team needed to shore up its defense with a "3rd-4th" caliber guy, but again the pickings were fairly slim this summer.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:13 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Huet was junk here...got so he couldn't win the big game

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:15 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil22 View Post
I agree I thought trading Huet was a bit pre-mature last year, I thought he could help out price, not only just taking some games, but also giving him advice. With that being said...

True. Didnt see him staying with the Habs after last season
Not only that but what relevance would keeping him have? Get nothing for him, maybe if were lucky make it to the conference final and win a few more games, make more $. Financially it was the good choice but for our team it wasn't. Gainey wanted to get Price as ready as he possibly could get for THIS season and give him a taste of what playoff NHL hockey is all about. Without this trade none of that could've been done.

People call Gainey a figure head, that he's just here to sit back and let the bucks roll in and not win (like Toronto's management/ownership does) but that is NOT the case. If it were he would've kept Huet in order to get further into the playoffs but he didn't he traded him in order to help the future of our team.

People talk like Gainey hasn't made a single good move, trading Rivet for Gorges and Pax wasn't a great move, signing Lang wasn't a great move, signing Tanguay wasn't a great movie, give me a break come playoff time you'll be sucking up to Gainey cause of how great all of those signings are.

We have a team that has had many injuries this season. We're having an opposite season to last year. We were expected to be a non-playoff team last year and went 1st in the East, this year we were expected to be 1st in the East and we'll likely be much worse then that, but if we make a playoff spot which I'm sure we will, we can still win the cup, anything is possible. And guys like Tanguay are what we need to do that.

Also with Lang out indefinitely I'm pretty sure that frees up the rest of his contract off of the cap does it not? At deadline Gainey will make a move this year. We're just a team with some injury problems and a missing peice. I think Gainey will trade depth and some picks along with a salary dump for a good player or two. I think Weight actually could be a viable replacement to Lang, he's been having a good season too. There are numerous options is the point I'm making, and IMO the habs deadline could make or break this team we'll just have to wait and see before we pass any judgement.

We might pick somebody up who just makes our defense unstoppable, and then maybe a powerplay go-to guy who tears it up for us. Once our team is fully healthy, I think the sky is the limit. It's too bad about Lang, but Tanguay if healthy and on fire is arguably the best player on our team and he's been out for a long time. People need to realize it was only a matter of time before the Lapierre line stopped winning us games.

I think Higgins might actually break out soon and once Tanguay comes back with a little tweaking at deadline, we should be a force to be reconned with.

Old
02-10-2009, 09:19 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Not only that but what relevance would keeping him have? Get nothing for him, maybe if were lucky make it to the conference final and win a few more games, make more $. Financially it was the good choice but for our team it wasn't. Gainey wanted to get Price as ready as he possibly could get for THIS season and give him a taste of what playoff NHL hockey is all about. Without this trade none of that could've been done.

People call Gainey a figure head, that he's just here to sit back and let the bucks roll in and not win (like Toronto's management/ownership does) but that is NOT the case. If it were he would've kept Huet in order to get further into the playoffs but he didn't he traded him in order to help the future of our team.

People talk like Gainey hasn't made a single good move, trading Rivet for Gorges and Pax wasn't a great move, signing Lang wasn't a great move, signing Tanguay wasn't a great movie, give me a break come playoff time you'll be sucking up to Gainey cause of how great all of those signings are.

We have a team that has had many injuries this season. We're having an opposite season to last year. We were expected to be a non-playoff team last year and went 1st in the East, this year we were expected to be 1st in the East and we'll likely be much worse then that, but if we make a playoff spot which I'm sure we will, we can still win the cup, anything is possible. And guys like Tanguay are what we need to do that.

Also with Lang out indefinitely I'm pretty sure that frees up the rest of his contract off of the cap does it not? At deadline Gainey will make a move this year. We're just a team with some injury problems and a missing peice. I think Gainey will trade depth and some picks along with a salary dump for a good player or two. I think Weight actually could be a viable replacement to Lang, he's been having a good season too. There are numerous options is the point I'm making, and IMO the habs deadline could make or break this team we'll just have to wait and see before we pass any judgement.

We might pick somebody up who just makes our defense unstoppable, and then maybe a powerplay go-to guy who tears it up for us. Once our team is fully healthy, I think the sky is the limit. It's too bad about Lang, but Tanguay if healthy and on fire is arguably the best player on our team and he's been out for a long time. People need to realize it was only a matter of time before the Lapierre line stopped winning us games.

I think Higgins might actually break out soon and once Tanguay comes back with a little tweaking at deadline, we should be a force to be reconned with.
Gainey's going to have to overpay big time to get the kind of defender you're talking about. They are so overrated at the deadline - look at how like you mention, Craig Rivet got us a first round pick and an NHL calibre defenseman.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Treal

I think it's obvious that trading Huet was a bad idea because his mere veteran presence would've prevented Martin Biron's conn-smythe caliber hot streak he had.

He would've also helped the abysmal powerplay because he would used his vast experience to yell out the open guys in Philly's zone.

After we win the cup, he would've accepted a 1 million dollar hometown discount just 'cause he loves it here and he knows that he can help Carey Price become the Ken Dryden he was drafted to be if he's given enough time with him.

Then he would've helped Gainey trade for Lecavalier because he would have warned Vincent of the dangers of Tampa women with cell phones.

Gainey

Treal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:38 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Gainey's going to have to overpay big time to get the kind of defender you're talking about. They are so overrated at the deadline - look at how like you mention, Craig Rivet got us a first round pick and an NHL calibre defenseman.
I won't deny it is going to take overpayment for sure but if it gets us a cup or a better team I'm willing to do it. Clearly the team needs some changes and I trust Gainey and Carb to figure out what those changes need to be.

You are right that overpayment is necessary but at the same time look how well San Jose is doing even though they didn't even keep Rivet. Overpayment doesn't always make your team go bust, often times it actually helps you to move guys who are taking up roster spots that you don't need. I know that SJ would likely have kept Gorges had they known he'd be this good, but I'm just saying, they aren't exactly a bad team for having overpayed for something.

I don't feel that if Pittsburgh hadn't made the Hossa trade they'd have been a better team this year really or better enough to be a contender. Sometimes teams do make dumb trades too. I know were usually on the dumber side of those trades but it can happen. You never know and also sometimes trades that look like overpayment at the time of trade turn out to be severe underpayment many years down the line.

Old
02-10-2009, 09:40 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treal View Post
I think it's obvious that trading Huet was a bad idea because his mere veteran presence would've prevented Martin Biron's conn-smythe caliber hot streak he had.

He would've also helped the abysmal powerplay because he would used his vast experience to yell out the open guys in Philly's zone.

After we win the cup, he would've accepted a 1 million dollar hometown discount just 'cause he loves it here and he knows that he can help Carey Price become the Ken Dryden he was drafted to be if he's given enough time with him.

Then he would've helped Gainey trade for Lecavalier because he would have warned Vincent of the dangers of Tampa women with cell phones.

Gainey
Yep. Then he would've also convinced 10 of the NHL's most elite players to sign for league minimum in Montreal and we would be 20 million dollars under the cap with the most elite team in the NHL and go 76-1-5 and win the cup 16-0 during the playoffs, all because of Huet.

Old
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
number 11

didn't get get tanguay for that second round pick?

huet wouldn't be saving our ***** right now. the team's lack of heart and pride is the reason we're losing. end of story.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:01 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
didn't get get tanguay for that second round pick?

huet wouldn't be saving our ***** right now. the team's lack of heart and pride is the reason we're losing. end of story.
Exactly, and injuries as well aren't helping. Huet couldn't goal tend his way out of a paper bag. In his defense though, paper bags are extremely hard to goal tend out of

At this point in his career I think Danis or Denis would do better.

Old
02-10-2009, 10:08 AM
NJDevil22
Vol For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I said it was a mistake right from the start.
We should have kept Huet and broke Price in slowly instead of rushing him into being the #1 goalie in Montreal. We could have used Huet as the #1 and gave Price 30 games a season until he started to get comfortable with the NHL speed and style of game. Then once he was comfortable, Price would start getting most of the playing time with Huet acting as his solid, veteran backup.
I thought that this was a good idea for last season. I think keeping Huet till the end of last season would have helped his development and not having to bear the responsibility of being the starting goalie for the most historic and followed team in hockey. That would have, at least for a year, kinda eased him in.

NJDevil22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:10 AM
northstarnicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
toronto had 41 shots on goal

calgary had 41 shots on goal

detroit allows 18-22 shots on goal a game

ITS NOT THE GOALIES!
One would think legitimate/somewhat knowledgeable hockey fans, even Montreal fans might even realize this. Geez!!!

Can't leave em out to dry guys. Halak was awesome up until the team quit. He faced 24 shots by the 11:36 mark of the second period and only had let in ONE. Clemmenson faced just 27 in the WHOLE game vs NY Rangers last night. He had a shutout.

northstarnicky is offline   Reply With Quote