HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Stick Advice

Old
02-08-2009, 10:20 AM
browntown

vCash: 500
Hockey Stick Advice

Hi, i recently just broke an S17 (probably should have listened to people telling me that it breaks easily). It broke on the 30th day, and now i submitted the warranty form online. So now im kinda thinking of buying a new stick, something that is a bit more durable.

I was thinking of the one 95, or a dolomite spyne, possibly even a se16. The s17 was my first one piece composite stick, before that i used 2 piece stick, and im also considering an ak27 shaft. So opinions are welcome as to which stick is good, since many of you probably have experience with these sticks.

Thanx, and sorry for the long post.

browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:02 AM
GraveyTrain9

get a one95

GraveyTrain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:52 AM
browntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante 71 View Post
get a one95
Has it been durable for you, ive used one to just shoot pucks at a net a couple of times and have liked it, but i don't want it to break easily.

Old
02-08-2009, 12:10 PM
tcjsport1928

I have a one90 and I love it good wristers and a good slap. I have heard that one90s and one95s break easily though.

tcjsport1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
Has it been durable for you, ive used one to just shoot pucks at a net a couple of times and have liked it, but i don't want it to break easily.
if you want you can get the one95 two piece system so you can replace the blade or shaft if it breaks

personally, i absolutley love warriors. i have a dolemite and an ak. i prefer teh dolemite and it has been very durable for me. my brother used it for college (not every game) and i used it and weve had it for over a year and it still hasnt broke

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:19 PM
browntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
if you want you can get the one95 two piece system so you can replace the blade or shaft if it breaks

personally, i absolutley love warriors. i have a dolemite and an ak. i prefer teh dolemite and it has been very durable for me. my brother used it for college (not every game) and i used it and weve had it for over a year and it still hasnt broke
You say u like the dolomite better, would it be worthwhile to get the dolomite shaft. Sorry for all these questions, but i can't try out these sticks before i buy so i just want to be as informed as possible. And will the shaft being tapered cause any problems when looking for blades.

Old
02-08-2009, 01:34 PM
ShootIt
M F P G A

I haven't tried one yet, still waiting for my 7k to break, but I would get a one95. Tried one out and it is an amazing stick.

Tapered blades are harder to find, at least in South Florida, but I noticed they last just as long as regular blades.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
You say u like the dolomite better, would it be worthwhile to get the dolomite shaft. Sorry for all these questions, but i can't try out these sticks before i buy so i just want to be as informed as possible. And will the shaft being tapered cause any problems when looking for blades.
the dolomite shafts are tapered so yea you would need to get a tapered blade. the dolomite blades are tapered too and i think are pretty durable so that would fit. i have the one piece but it was a guy from the nhls stick and im not sure what he did to it but bonding which usually covers where the shaft meets teh blade isnt there so it looks like a two piece

the AK is not tapered and that is a very nice shaft also.

the n/b xxxx blade is tapered, the dolomite blade, the synergey elite, the 7k sickkick, and the vector v10s are all tapered so those are some options. im naming top of the line stuff because it sounds like you are going in that direction

if you prefer a standard blade/shaft the AK os really nice and the blade i think is nicer than the dolomite but thats just what my preference is. its got more of a heel curve.

anyway, i hope that helps

Old
02-08-2009, 01:52 PM
browntown

Quote:
the dolomite shafts are tapered so yea you would need to get a tapered blade. the dolomite blades are tapered too and i think are pretty durable so that would fit. i have the one piece but it was a guy from the nhls stick and im not sure what he did to it but bonding which usually covers where the shaft meets teh blade isnt there so it looks like a two piece

the AK is not tapered and that is a very nice shaft also.

the n/b xxxx blade is tapered, the dolomite blade, the synergey elite, the 7k sickkick, and the vector v10s are all tapered so those are some options. im naming top of the line stuff because it sounds like you are going in that direction

if you prefer a standard blade/shaft the AK os really nice and the blade i think is nicer than the dolomite but thats just what my preference is. its got more of a heel curve.

anyway, i hope that helps
Thanx alot for the help,
i think i may just go with the ak27 blade or i may just wait for the 09 warrior sticks to come out and then check my options once more. I don't have very many games left so i may just wait for the 09 line before making a decision. Thanx again though, you've been very helpful. Everyones been very helpful thanx.

Old
02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Thanx alot for the help,
i think i may just go with the ak27 blade or i may just wait for the 09 warrior sticks to come out and then check my options once more. I don't have very many games left so i may just wait for the 09 line before making a decision. Thanx again though, you've been very helpful. Everyones been very helpful thanx.
no problem, i would look into the johnson series too. i dont have any experience with them though

Old
02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Keep in mind the flex on the S17 is not comparable to most sticks. If your shot got better, you might need to drop down a flex in other manufacturers products. The 100 flex S17 was 100 flex after you cut 3" most sticks are true to their flex rating when uncut.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Placebo Effect

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding sticks as well. I'm just starting to get into ice hockey, played a lot of casual roller hockey but finally decided to make the jump to ice. Right now I'm using a regular flex CCM Vector stick but I feel that my shots aren't as hard as people that are about the same size or even smaller. I put my weight into it, flex it, etc but I just can't seem to get much power on it. Would getting a stiffer or less stiff flex be better? I know it's more of a personal preference, but is there a general guideline of how much you should be able to flex a stick before it's too stiff or flexes too much?

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyla View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding sticks as well. I'm just starting to get into ice hockey, played a lot of casual roller hockey but finally decided to make the jump to ice. Right now I'm using a regular flex CCM Vector stick but I feel that my shots aren't as hard as people that are about the same size or even smaller. I put my weight into it, flex it, etc but I just can't seem to get much power on it. Would getting a stiffer or less stiff flex be better? I know it's more of a personal preference, but is there a general guideline of how much you should be able to flex a stick before it's too stiff or flexes too much?
it really depends on you size and muscle. if you are a bigger more muscular guy you mught want to get a stiffer stick, if your smaller get a whipier stick. try a tapered shaft maybe, it will allow you to get a quick realease at a pretty good speed

Old
02-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Placebo Effect

Do you have any recommendations on sticks on a budget? I want to improve my overall skills and get into some higher division leagues before I start spending more money. I tend to take more wrist shots since my slap shot has yet to be perfected (puck likes to hug the ice on slappers ), but I don't foresee me as someone that will be taking many slap shots either. I guess I'm more muscular or just heavy boned since I'm 5'9" 220lbs but really not obese, could definitely lose 10-15 lbs though (people always guess my weight to be 180ish). Let's say I'm in the store and testing a stiff stick, is there a certain amount I should be able to flex it to know if it's too stiff? I imagine if I can't bend it at all it's too stiff.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 07:25 PM
stick9

Quote:
it really depends on you size and muscle. if you are a bigger more muscular guy you mught want to get a stiffer stick, if your smaller get a whipier stick. try a tapered shaft maybe, it will allow you to get a quick realease at a pretty good speed
I agree to a certain point. It's more personal preference than size and strength. Brett Hull used a 70 or 75 flex twig.

browntown - the Dolomite tapered set up is worth a look. Good mix of performance and durability. I'm hearing the Dolo Spyne isn't as durable.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 07:42 PM
RichardSnipes*

Nike bauer one 90 and one 95 are really nice sticks for taking wrists shots and i find the dont break that easy for me

RichardSnipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Mithrandir
I only own my mind..

I love the One95 and it's been very durable. I'm playing college puck and it's holding up fine.

Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:06 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I agree to a certain point. It's more personal preference than size and strength. Brett Hull used a 70 or 75 flex twig.

browntown - the Dolomite tapered set up is worth a look. Good mix of performance and durability. I'm hearing the Dolo Spyne isn't as durable.
Finished his career with a 65 flex, I believe.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Burnaby_Joe*

I cut my sticks pretty short, so I get 65 or 75 flex.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post

o its definitley personal preference but i would reccomend an 85 lb kid use a 110 flex either though