HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price...all he needs is consistency.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:03 PM
LesCanadiens

vCash: 500
There will be those that understand my point and the others simply never will.

Comparing Lafleur and that era to today IMO does not work....lots of out of shape players back in Guy's day....but Guy also scored over 100 pts and had established his reputation.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I strongly disagree. One of Price's best qualities has always been his mental strength. He's losing it right now and I, like many I'm sure, sense a lot of frustration in his comments. His technique is all screwed up and his confidence is taking a hit. I bet you anything that he'd love to see a change as well.
It's not all about Carey Price . Going back to my original comments, Melanson is a respected coach with a very good track record. Along comes Price, suddenly Melanson doesn't know what he's doing. Nonsense. Rollie is one of the best.

Mental strength against 19 year old kids is one thing, playing in the best league in the world, where everyone is mentally and physically better than anything Price has played against, that's another.

Price needs to work harder and stop thinking he's an allstar. Fans and media need to stop fawning and start understanding.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
smon

Why was he rushed though...? Goalies take a long time to develop, just about every guy familar with the NHL will tell you that. But did Gainey honestly expect Price to carry a Cup contender? I mean, did/does he really think that Price is the next Patrick Roy?

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Fire Brunet*

But... But... But it's Price's fault we're losing!!!

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 11:47 PM
C4KOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Agree? Disagree?

When he's on his game he's awesome.

When he's off his game he's awful.

That's what I've noticed with Price.

I can't believe some people are calling him a bust

We have to keep in mind he's only 21 years old. Plus, you can't deny that he probably has the most pressure on him in the entire NHL...being the number 1 goaltender of the Montreal Canadiens.

If he can better his consistency..he'll be a great one.
he is very consistent: he gives minimum 4 goals a game.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Pascal

The team as a whole stinks so why focus on Price? It's dumb and doesn't pinpoint the team's REAL issues right now.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Maurice Richard*

Price screws me last week in Fantasy hockey and now Halak has screwed me this week ..and i cant trade them , who the hell wants them !!!!

Maurice Richard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Bodacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
It's not all about Carey Price . Going back to my original comments, Melanson is a respected coach with a very good track record. Along comes Price, suddenly Melanson doesn't know what he's doing. Nonsense. Rollie is one of the best.

Mental strength against 19 year old kids is one thing, playing in the best league in the world, where everyone is mentally and physically better than anything Price has played against, that's another.

Price needs to work harder and stop thinking he's an allstar. Fans and media need to stop fawning and start understanding.
Gee, maybe if all the fanboys here didn't vote him into the all-star game, he won't think like that. With a young kid, if you blow smoke up his butt, he is going to buy into it.

Karma is a *****.

Bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:01 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
Gee, maybe if all the fanboys here didn't vote him into the all-star game, he won't think like that. With a young kid, if you blow smoke up his butt, he is going to buy into it.

Karma is a *****.
Haha, that's actually true. Flooding that stupid online voting system. Might be the reason that Kovalev, Komisarek, Price are all playing garbage since the allstar game. In fact, Price probably rushed himself coming back from injury just to play in it. Ridiculous. Now wouldn't we all have rather playoff success then watch Kovalev MVP the all star game...

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:22 AM
TheWhiteTiger

Quote:

Thibeault, Garon, Théo, Huet... Very good track record indeed.

TheWhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
NJDevil22
Vol For Life

I agree totally. But consistency does usually come with experience and he still hasnt had that much of it in the broad picture. And I do think its a little harsh to say hes been awful when hes off his game, but certainly not good. I think/hope over time he will keep improving to be the phenom goalie we all hope he becomes

NJDevil22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:21 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Agree? Disagree?

When he's on his game he's awesome.

When he's off his game he's awful.

That's what I've noticed with Price.

I can't believe some people are calling him a bust

We have to keep in mind he's only 21 years old. Plus, you can't deny that he probably has the most pressure on him in the entire NHL...being the number 1 goaltender of the Montreal Canadiens.

If he can better his consistency..he'll be a great one.
They weren't calling him a bust when for like 20 games straight he rarely gave up more then 2 goals, then he was Jesus Price, now that the TEAM is on a slump it's 100% his fault.

News flash, our D hasn't been stellar. Price might not be either but he did just come back from an injury. People need to wake up, he can be consistent but he IS a young goalie give him some time. He isn't Jose Theodore just yet.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
This is where I disagree. He's not one of the best. He hasn't done anything to get that recognition in my opinion. He's taken a Jose Theodore who won the Hart and Vezina and contributed to see him out of town (notice that I'm not putting the entire blame on him here). He took Hackett who basically stayed at the same level than he was in Chicago (someone posted the stats pre and post). Aebischer was doing fine in Colorado as his stats prove, and became a nut case in Montreal. So his track record was Huet who had decent stats but who also had confidence problems. And THEN came Price. Then Halak, who was doing great in the AHL, comes to the NHL and works daily with Melanson. What happens? He regressed! So where is that track record again?

All of them turned into the same style goaltenders. Butterfly only, going down on every shot regardless of if they were screened or not, anticipating instead of reacting to the shot, often being totally out of position on their knees instead of on their feet when it's easier to move laterally. All of them became vulnerable to high shots, all of them playing too deep in their net. And there is one common denominator and that's the goaltenders' coach!

I'm telling you, Price will be a wasted talent if they don't do something soon...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote