HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's Check the Barometer

View Poll Results: Best Direction for the Habs
Stay the Course, Get a Top 4 D-man Things will be fine 108 62.43%
Get Rid of Kovalev or Carbo and/or Gainey 21 12.14%
Get a Star Forward (Lecavalier, Gaborik etc...) 27 15.61%
Partial Rebuild: Move Koivu/Kovalev/ and other vets Draft and Develop for 2-3 Years 17 9.83%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I think you're right about the last case. I'm 25 and so when I started being a Habs fan, we were winning Cups and every kid had a Patrick Roy street hockey mask, loved Kirk Muller and would wear those (sorry, but we are also a fashionable city...somewhat horrid-looking) Canadiens windbreakers that are (LOL) coming back into style. That's how much we thought yey, our team is good. Again that's childhood. Then in the teenage years, where you have mature emotions (well...ok... raging emotions), our team went down the sinkhole and we were the embarrassment of the league. We've had to live with watching (as mature adults and finally into young adults) HORRRRRID teams. It's only when Jose had that amazing season that we all started having something to be proud of and since then we've been waiting to be able to be like Det or NJ or Dal, to be able to say that every year our team will be really good and will compete (since our long tradition of winning has been told to us, not really felt). In the last few years, well actually mainly last year, our hopes seem to have materialized and that's when you get a slingshot of expectations that are so high that it's hard to retract from because you don't want to go back into those dark dark days and in Traverse, sorry Reverse. Anyway, I think we've arrived and while maybe Carbo ain't the best coach, for us, he's the last captain of a winning team and Muller was the star. Somehow for us...it just has to work out. It would be poetry. And in sports, that's often what it turn out to be, specially for this club.
Yeah, Its probably the case. I mean, when I started followign the Habs in my childhood, Roy was starting with the Habs, so through my childhood till my late teens, the Habs won 2 cups and won the division title year after year. So to me, seeing them in the late 90s, at first I was stark raving mad, but then soon came the realization that all teams have these phases (when I saw the example of the Wings, who had gone through more than 20 years of mostly weak teams and then turned it around). Its just a matter of time before the Habs get back to their rightful throne.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Bullcrap! Kovalev need to do his job!
He did his job last night. Played a decent game. Not too many guys on this team can make that feed either.

Hockey is a team sport. You win and lose as a team.

You keep singling him out in every second post. We get it. You personally don't like Kovalev. That doesn't make him the reason for this slump.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
He did his job last night. Played a decent game. Not too many guys on this team can make that feed either.

Hockey is a team sport. You win and lose as a team.

You keep singling him out in every second post. We get it. You personally don't like Kovalev. That doesn't make him the reason for this slump.
When he's your go-to guy, it kind of does actually. He made one good pass... whoopedy-doo! Can't wait for him to be traded or for July 1st, whichever comes first!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:22 AM
ToysInTheAttic

I think that the crash and burn black hole the Habs are in is the direct result of having neither Lang or Tanguay in the line-up. The team can play well with one of these players out of the line-up but not with both out. I don't expect things to turn around until Tanguay returns to the line-up. Things aren't going to be pretty the next few games.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
I think that the crash and burn black hole the Habs are in is the direct result of having neither Lang or Tanguay in the line-up. The team can play well with one of these players out of the line-up but not with both out. I don't expect things to turn around until Tanguay returns to the line-up. Things aren't going to be pretty the next few games.
Neither one of those guys were here last year. This team is essentially the same except for Ryder who didn't have a very big role down the stretch and Streit who help make the powerplay the best in the league.

The D is the same, but they can't get the puck to the forwards. The forwards don't show any intensity most of the time. Both D and F are constatntly making bad decisions like making bad passes to guys who are vulnerable. The forwards are off to the opposing blue line in anticipation of a pass as soon as one of their D's touches the puck. Kovalev gets knocked down on Saturday and takes 10 seconds to get up and stays on the ice so he doesn't miss his shift. If you're hurt, get off and let someone healthy take your spot. If not, get up and try to accomplish something.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:01 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
When he's your go-to guy, it kind of does actually. He made one good pass... whoopedy-doo! Can't wait for him to be traded or for July 1st, whichever comes first!
Ok...go to guy. Does that mean?

a) he should go right through 4 players like Crosby or Ovechkin (cuz people sure as hell don't like it when he tries)

b) have excellent puck control in the O zone and set up plays (which he has been doing, but there is NO ONE to feed)

c) Try those impossible angle wristers from "his spot" (which everyone knows how to stop now)

d) Do spin-o-ramas every game and let them trickle past the ****** goalie

e)....please inform me of (offensively), what he should be doing.

I fully agree sometimes he is slow to do things, but try to understand that he's not maxim lapierre running around like crazy (which is great...for HIM). He conserves his energy for the right time. He has great stride and that's what allows him to vary his speed and deke defencemen. Stupid hooks and other penalties must go, but he draws as many as he gets and most of the time they are very weak hooking calls. You just cannot stick check in the NHL anymore!

The only thing I think he could do better is (as an exemplary player), thread the needle. He has the shot I just wish he got his shooting mojo back. Remember the all star competition for accuracy. So many really good players couldn't hit the target, while stationary and no pressure. Sometimes it just comes back and I'm hoping it does and that he's allowed to shoot. Everytime he misses, people get angry cuz they expect him to have 99 shooting %. He WILL get it back and it WILL = lots more goals.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote