HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Gainey the problem?

Old
02-10-2009, 01:31 PM
38 cupless years*

vCash: 500
i think one way to improve the team is if Gainey decided to become bench boss again. he has the kind of mentality that will get the best out of his players. Plus who doesn't respect Gainey's accomplishments? he scares the crap out of everyone and was one of the more intimidating players of his generation. Gainey will demand 100% efforts from everyone, and he'd probably get it too! Carbo doesn't come across to me as someone that can motivate players...in fact he seems very lackadaisical when it comes to this part of his coaching.

38 cupless years* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Same players who looked really bad in the playoffs too. Who won games by the PP alone during the season (with Streit at the point). While no one was injured. While the expectations were really low at the start of the season. With Huet in nets. With Kovalev pulling the team with a career year. Everything went absolutely perfect last year. but it gave us (and Gainey) a wrong idea about the value of the team.

Every team can have a good record during the season if everything goes well for them, but the regular season means nothing. When the games get more intense, the other team's defense get thighter, Habs are inneffective, even against bottom teams.

Bottom line is that we're not a contender this year. So let's think about the future instead of trading our youth for UFAs.
I don't agree at all. We had our better sequences when we had the most injuries. We did play very good against tight defensive teams and tough teams. The problem is not the level of talent of the players and nor is it the coach or the GM. I don't think they played over their heads last year. They still blew the Ruins 5-0 in the seventh game last year and the Flyers got a lot of lucky bounces, less you forget they won three games by only one goal (not counting empty nets).

You also quickly forget that before the All-stars they had a sequence where they were 14-2-1, and did beat some good teams in that span. Saying they are not contenders is shortsided.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
It's not Gainey's fault that some of the players are underperforming. And its not his fault that we have a lot of injuries.

I'm a glass-half-full type person. I think these slumps build character for teams. Once they get out of it, the team will be stronger because of it imo
+1000

Just like the Flyers last season. Just like the Ruins last season.

Old
02-10-2009, 01:39 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
+1000

Just like the Flyers last season. Just like the Ruins last season.
i think you mean the 2006/2007 Flyers because last year they did well enough to make it to the conference finals.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
i think you mean the 2006/2007 Flyers because last year they did well enough to make it to the conference finals.
No, that's exactly the point. Last season, the Flyers finished 7th, two points over 9th place, because they had a lot of injuries and had a ten game losing streak. They played badly in the regular season because the players didn't mesh together until the playoffs.

Get the point now about not panicking?

Old
02-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Same players who looked really bad in the playoffs too. Who won games by the PP alone during the season (with Streit at the point). While no one was injured. While the expectations were really low at the start of the season. With Huet in nets. With Kovalev pulling the team with a career year. Everything went absolutely perfect last year. but it gave us (and Gainey) a wrong idea about the value of the team.

Every team can have a good record during the season if everything goes well for them, but the regular season means nothing. When the games get more intense, the other team's defense get thighter, Habs are inneffective, even against bottom teams.

Bottom line is that we're not a contender this year. So let's think about the future instead of trading our youth for UFAs.
That's where I disagree.

Look at our team this year..if everything went good for us last year, and made us have a flawed value, then you can say the same about our team this year.
Every thing seems to be going bad this year...almost all our players getting injured, 6-8 of our key players get into bad slumps. Not having played with our regular roster more than a few games so far..
Yet, we're still in the middle of the pack..This proves we have a good team in place.

As for the POs..how did we look bad exactly?..its the POs. Boston played well and rallied to bring us to a Game7, but we managed to get through what I consider the most gritty team in East.
Sure we weren't as dominating, but you rarely see a team dominate the POs like they did during the season.
They didn't dominate us, it was a tight serie that we won. Simple.

Then we played Philly and we didn't back down. Price collapsed, HE looked bad. Biron and Umberger were the MVPs for the Flyers. Biron seemed to stop every puck for some reason, and Umberger scored on every shot from any where.

We didn't look bad at all vs Philly, we weren't outplayed by them. I watched every game religiously and on multiple occasion, we were far from being outplayed. Watch our 08 series again, you'll see.

And both of those teams, BOS/PHI, finished 8th/7th last year due to a huge number of injuries, which doesn't help with your chemistry.
So, right now, we're very much so looking like them during last year's Reg.Sea.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Prudentius

This is all of Gainey's fault

Stop blaming it on Carbonneau. All of what is happening is Gainey's fault.

He installed a worrisome environment for our players with this stupid self-imposed rule of not negotiating contract during a season. It is clear a lot of players are playing individually to get a big fat contract next year. All of this wouldn't be happening with this huge stupid mistake by Gainey.

Add to this his failure as a GM to attract first class world player around here. That is HIS job, HIS duty to convince the players to come here. He failed to do that. So what does he do instead? Get sloppy seconds like Robert Lang and Alex Tanguay. Tanguay has been disappointing so far. Lang has been good but you will see him slip away during the playoffs. That's what happens when you keep settling down for the second best year after year. You get a lazy team.

Fire Gainey.

Laugh back at everyone who laughed at me a few month ago when I posted a thread on the main board saying Gainey was a terrible GM.

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:04 PM
McTusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
Laugh back at everyone who laughed at me a few month ago when I posted a thread on the main board saying Gainey was a terrible GM.
Alright,

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:07 PM
goalchenyuk

sigh

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
Laugh back me
okay!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Taupy

Can't wait to see all these bandwagonners ''fans'' hop back on the train if we get on a winning streak.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

In before the lock.

No one (not even the big names in the media) knows whats happening in the heads of players, weather contracts are a distraction or not.

Your comments don't even have enough ground to be _speculative_.

Threads like this are stupid.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
I keep saying I won't come back to the boards until the game on Wed. because of threads like this

And yet because HFBoards is on my damn bookmark bar I click on it every time I stop writting my damn essay and poof a new thread of fun appears

Eh-ver-y-time!!

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That's where I disagree.

Look at our team this year..if everything went good for us last year, and made us have a flawed value, then you can say the same about our team this year.
Every thing seems to be going bad this year....
Everything is going how it's supposed to go this year. Kovalev is playing how he always played. We have two sophomores in nets. Injuries happens to every team. Plekenec is playing like he was playing two years ago. Gorges, Bouillon and Brisebois show that they are #6 or 7 Dmen. Higgins/Komisarek/Andrei K are still somewhat underachieving.

But on the bright side some players are doing great, better than expected (Markov, Koivu, Tanguay, Latendresse, Lapierre, Kostopoulos, Dandenault + the callups.

So some thing are going well, some are going bad and we're still 5th in the conference depite having a pretty average lineup (no top fowards, pretty bad defense, questionable goaltending, not much grit, size or intensity).

I think the Habs are doing pretty good for what they have. But we're not in position to beat go far into the playoffs right now.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulKOMInia View Post
Can't wait to see all these bandwagonners ''fans'' hop back on the train if we get on a winning streak.

Yeah because we all know that everything is all right, right?

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
7th Player

But I agree that Gainey has a little part of the blame...

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:18 PM
ScherbakAttack

Damn you Gainey for making our players play with little to no effort! Damn you for scoring goals for the other team! Damn you for mixing up the lines and putting your talent with some 4th liners! Damn you for not menacing superstars into signing with Montreal!

I want his head!

ScherbakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Frank Doby

Biggest error of Bob Gainey this season?

The Canadians are going nowhere presently. Eventually, this team will increase his confidence enough to win some games. This team is in trouble. There are many factors of course to explain this situation. But one is certainly to let go Mark Streit because the team did not want Streit play only as a defenser. I think that was a huge error. Consequences: from one of the best team in power play to an anemic team in this sector in the NHL.

In my book, it would have been better to let go Bouillon and Dandeneault and keep Streit on the team.

Frank Doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Is there a melted popsicle somewhere?

I dont what to do about this ant infestation

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:20 PM
7th Player

stop listening to ckac!

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
tiredman

not doing anything to fix the team problems was his biggest error.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

gainey gainey GAINEY!!!

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:22 PM
38 cupless years*

one of my first posts on here addressed this same mistake. streit wanted to play here and take a discount, he was a big player on the pp and we let him go without knowing what we had on the team that could replace him (no gunners on the point). if gainey thought so low of streit, that he'd take brisebois over streit, why didn't he trade him at the deadline like he did with rivet?

38 cupless years* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:22 PM
dutchy29

In hindsight I agree, It looks like we miss Streit alot more than anyone could have suspected. When the organization lets go players who arent performing in a Habs Jersey ex. Riberio. I can live with it, but anymore it seems a rarity for any player to be able to
play consistently with the Habs, let alone a puck moving D man.
To reiterate though, nobody was making much noise at the start of the year regarding this matter and now we are all looking for answers.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:23 PM
gusfring

You may be harsh but you aren't the only one saying this. I know Pierre Maguire and PJ Stock have been.

...insert all negative comments about these two here:

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote