HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Whats Better Vapour XXXX skates or Nike bauer One 90s???

Old
02-10-2009, 10:37 AM
RichardSnipes*

vCash: 500
Whats Better Vapour XXXX skates or Nike bauer One 90s???

Just wondering whats better cuz i need new skates soon...

RichardSnipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

mmmmmm, id say the XXXX, but the one95s i think are the best, of course they arent on sale yet and are alot more than both. its more a preference and you should try them on before buying them but if i were picking one id take the XXXX ver the one90s

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:43 AM
xstartxtodayx

It's personal preference, they're different style skates and are both top of the line (well One90's were top of the line last year and were replaced by the One95, the One75 is the One90 but with a couple minor revisions).

Go try them all on and see what fits and feels best to you. I tried on a handful lately and I didn't care for the way any of the Vapor's fit my feet, wasn't crazy about the fit of the One95, but the One75 fit like a glove so that's the one I went with and love them so far.

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Go try them on. It's all about what fit your feet. I had a choice between the RBK 9Ks and the One90s. I took both for a spin (I LOVE my LHS) and spent more time on my ass in the One90s than I was on my feet. Had to get a bit of an adjustment in the 9ks, like adding a heel lift, but they're perfect now.

02-10-2009, 11:54 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSnipes View Post
Just wondering whats better cuz i need new skates soon...
There is no best. You're talking about two top of the line skates. Each have their own key features and each have their own fit.

Put it this way. If you walked into a hockey shop and said you wanted to the buy the best skate on the market. The staff wouldn't point you to one specific brand or model.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:32 PM
RichardSnipes*

no but thine is i wnted to know from those to 2 because i find nike bauer stuff to be our the most comfetrable to me because i have vapour XXXX gloves a One 90 stick and other equipment and i love them so i figure the skates would also be comfertable

RichardSnipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:13 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSnipes View Post
no but thine is i wnted to know from those to 2 because i find nike bauer stuff to be our the most comfetrable to me because i have vapour XXXX gloves a One 90 stick and other equipment and i love them so i figure the skates would also be comfertable
They do make good equipment. But the two skates fit differently, so if one fits you the other probably won't. Or neither will, that's also a possibility.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:17 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
There is no best. You're talking about two top of the line skates. Each have their own key features and each have their own fit.

Put it this way. If you walked into a hockey shop and said you wanted to the buy the best skate on the market. The staff wouldn't point you to one specific brand or model.
Actually, there is a best in this case. One 95s and Vapor 40s are top of the line. The One 90 is the same skate as the One 75.

I'll say it again though. The One 90 (now 75) , the One 95 and the Vapor 40 all fit differently. If none of them fit, you can get The vapor 40 or the One 95 made custom if your LHS is an authorized dealer (about a $150 markup). Lots of options there. The other option would be to try a different brand, they'll fit differently.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:20 PM
raganblink

Wait for the X:60s to come out. Than decide.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:30 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Actually, there is a best in this case. One 95s and Vapor 40s are top of the line. The One 90 is the same skate as the One 75.

I'll say it again though. The One 90 (now 75) , the One 95 and the Vapor 40 all fit differently. If none of them fit, you can get The vapor 40 or the One 95 made custom if your LHS is an authorized dealer (about a $150 markup). Lots of options there. The other option would be to try a different brand, they'll fit differently.
Bah, I thought he said One95. My bad....thanks for the catch.

To the OP. If you want the One90 buy the One75 instead. The One75 is a One90 without all the problems.

Old
02-10-2009, 04:33 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

The general preference I see people gravitate to is Vapors for narrow feet and One90s for normal or wide feet, and I found it to be true in my own personal case last year shopping for skates. Could be a thinner width sole, could be better arch support, I'm not really sure, but I have narrow feet and couldn't get the One90s to fit right pre-baked (supposedly they can form to most anyone's foot through baking due to the zero negative space gel in there, but I wasn't gutsy enough to put down the money on their claim and risk being disappointed), whereas the XXXX were like putting on gloves.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:36 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
The general preference I see people gravitate to is Vapors for narrow feet and One90s for normal or wide feet, and I found it to be true in my own personal case last year shopping for skates. Could be a thinner width sole, could be better arch support, I'm not really sure, but I have narrow feet and couldn't get the One90s to fit right pre-baked (supposedly they can form to most anyone's foot through baking due to the zero negative space gel in there, but I wasn't gutsy enough to put down the money on their claim and risk being disappointed), whereas the XXXX were like putting on gloves.
Or a differently shaped boot?

They shape them differently so at least one skate can fit you. The one 95 though, the composite itself can mold, so it really should be able to fit most any foot.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Croco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
I bought a pair of Vapor XVI's back in November and I've had all kinds of problems with them. I'm thinking it's because my foot is slightly flatter than normal as there is pressure in the area in front of the arch. Of course, it had been more than ten years since I had bought a pair of skates, so I was going blind...but now that I know and that I'm seriously wanting to take up hockey, I now know what I need in a skate.

The only other thing that's eating at me now is whether or not I should get the Supreme ONE75 as a dead beginner. I like the Bauer line and the look of the Supreme series, so do you think stepping up the width to an EE would be a good idea with the Supreme? I wear a 10-1/2 skate and my Vapors are a D width...or should I try a different brand? I tried on a pair of CCM Vector 06s, but was told that they would be too stiff for me as a beginning player. I also tried the Graf Supra 301, but I couldn't afford them. Any and all advice would be helpful.

Croco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 06:50 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
I have duck feet and skate in pro return XXX.

The balls of my feet are EEE but the heal is about a D making skates hard to fit for me.

The CCM U+ has the best foot bed for me but my heel slops around in the back of the boot a bit.(CCM runs a bit wide) The One 90 runs narrow from front to back. I was looking at the XXXX when the guy I buy my hockey equipment from told me about a pair of XXX that he just took in from a local pro that had less than 6 games played in. 9.25 EE boots with TUUK LS2 holders. (TUUK Lightspeed 2 holders are the most used in the NHL)

We molded the boot to my foot but I had to take them in to push the front of the boot out a bit more on the stretcher.

I just can't imagine being able to buy a boot off the rack and be able to just go play a game.

Last edited by adaminnj: 02-11-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: missed something.
adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:28 AM
xstartxtodayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco View Post
I bought a pair of Vapor XVI's back in November and I've had all kinds of problems with them. I'm thinking it's because my foot is slightly flatter than normal as there is pressure in the area in front of the arch. Of course, it had been more than ten years since I had bought a pair of skates, so I was going blind...but now that I know and that I'm seriously wanting to take up hockey, I now know what I need in a skate.
Have you tried new insoles? Generally the ones that comes with skates are pretty bad when it comes to support. You should look into some Superfeet insoles or Yoursole insoles (www.yoursole.com). Those seem to be the 2 of the best out there (short of a custom orthotic from a podiatrist) and can really improve the feel of the skates by improving your foot's positioning and support. The superfeet are close to an orthotic and have a hard plastic heel and arch support, the yoursole ones are heat moldable and offer the custom fit along with added arch and heel support (minus the hard plastic that superfeet has); both run between $30 - $40 for a pair and are a nice investment. I've had Superfeet in all of my skates and will be giving the Yoursole ones a try in my new One75's.

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:46 PM
stick9

Quote:

The only other thing that's eating at me now is whether or not I should get the Supreme ONE75 as a dead beginner. I like the Bauer line and the look of the Supreme series, so do you think stepping up the width to an EE would be a good idea with the Supreme? I wear a 10-1/2 skate and my Vapors are a D width...or should I try a different brand? I tried on a pair of CCM Vector 06s, but was told that they would be too stiff for me as a beginning player. I also tried the Graf Supra 301, but I couldn't afford them. Any and all advice would be helpful.
I think the One75 is going to be too rigid for you. The last thing you want is a skate you'll never break in or will restrict your form. You want ample support but not so much where the stiffness of the skate doesn't allow you to develop a proper stride.

Look a bit lower in the model line. The One55 or Vector 04 might be a good option, provided they fit correctly.

Old
02-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Croco

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstartxtodayx View Post
Have you tried new insoles? Generally the ones that comes with skates are pretty bad when it comes to support. You should look into some Superfeet insoles or Yoursole insoles (www.yoursole.com). Those seem to be the 2 of the best out there (short of a custom orthotic from a podiatrist) and can really improve the feel of the skates by improving your foot's positioning and support. The superfeet are close to an orthotic and have a hard plastic heel and arch support, the yoursole ones are heat moldable and offer the custom fit along with added arch and heel support (minus the hard plastic that superfeet has); both run between $30 - $40 for a pair and are a nice investment. I've had Superfeet in all of my skates and will be giving the Yoursole ones a try in my new One75's.
I think I'll do that, though should I still go with the EE width to give my foot more room in the boot, or could I get away with a tighter D width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I think the One75 is going to be too rigid for you. The last thing you want is a skate you'll never break in or will restrict your form. You want ample support but not so much where the stiffness of the skate doesn't allow you to develop a proper stride.

Look a bit lower in the model line. The One55 or Vector 04 might be a good option, provided they fit correctly.
If I do that, then I'll go with the ONE55 before the Vector...though I'm sure that you're citing the same concerns with rigidity on the 06 as you are the ONE75.

Croco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 04:48 PM
stick9

Quote:
If I do that, then I'll go with the ONE55 before the Vector...though I'm sure that you're citing the same concerns with rigidity on the 06 as you are the ONE75.
Correct. The One75 is just a tweaked One90...it's a serious skate.