HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Neil Out Indefinitely

Old
02-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Neil is a lot like Fisher: all heart and very little production.
If we can keep Neil at 1.1 Million a year then that's fine, but anything more and he should be gone. Even as a fighter Neil is pretty terrible, though you can't say he doesn't give it his 100% every time.
This injury effectively negates any kind of trade value he might have had so I'm assuming we'll be able to hold on to him for a fair price which is a good thing.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:01 AM
Spezza

vCash: 500
Can he be traded if he's on IR? For example could we trade him for futures and define the futures on how healthy he gets?

Spezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 07:36 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Even as a fighter Neil is pretty terrible.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I wonder who we call up to replace his enforcerness... or do we just dress Schubert?

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:34 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Even as a fighter Neil is pretty terrible, though you can't say he doesn't give it his 100% every time.
wow. just wow. Have you ever seen him lose a fight? I've seen him get taken to a draw a couple of times. I've even seen him let a fight go on longer than it should so a younger player can make a name for himself. I don't remember seeing too many fights where Neil clearly lost.

Give him his due. He's one of the best in the league considering he's not even a heavy-weight.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
wow. just wow. Have you ever seen him lose a fight? I've seen him get taken to a draw a couple of times. I've even seen him let a fight go on longer than it should so a younger player can make a name for himself. I don't remember seeing too many fights where Neil clearly lost.

Give him his due. He's one of the best in the league considering he's not even a heavy-weight.
Donald Brashear last year after he wouldn't fight McGrattan. Other than that though, there aren't many decisive losses in Neil's fighting career. Clarkson usually gets the better of him too but he may be the best pound for pound fighter in hockey.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Alright I might have been too harsh.

It's true I can't think of a lot of fights that Neil clearly lost, but he doesn't clearly win a lot of them either. If I was to call a result, I'd say he ties more often than not.
Maybe that qualifies better than "terrible". Actually, I'm sure it does; but it sure as hell doesn't make him one of the best fighters in the league.

And still he's still NOT worth more than what he's getting, and he's already getting more than what I think he deserves.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
SpezDispenser

Said it once, I'll say it again. This is the hockey god's way of telling us to try to come to an agreement with him. 1.5 X 3 would be perfect. People think we can replace Chris Neil so easily. That's simply not true.

You can get a guy who is pure energy and hits everything that moves, but the likelihood of him being anything but a 4th liner is tiny. You can get a scrapper, but he has to be able to play at a high speed (so Laraque, Peters etc. are wastes of $$ and space).

When you're able to combine these attributes into a guy that plays with a lot of passion and heart, can fight, has lead the league in hits and can add the odd point...you re-sign him. Not to mention that Neil bleeds Sens colours and I guarantee would love to stay.

Offer him a 3 year/1.5 per year deal. If he says no, you move him, if he says yes, you take that deal and run.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:37 PM
JoeSakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post
Said it once, I'll say it again. This is the hockey god's way of telling us to try to come to an agreement with him. 1.5 X 3 would be perfect. People think we can replace Chris Neil so easily. That's simply not true.

You can get a guy who is pure energy and hits everything that moves, but the likelihood of him being anything but a 4th liner is tiny. You can get a scrapper, but he has to be able to play at a high speed (so Laraque, Peters etc. are wastes of $$ and space).

When you're able to combine these attributes into a guy that plays with a lot of passion and heart, can fight, has lead the league in hits and can add the odd point...you re-sign him. Not to mention that Neil bleeds Sens colours and I guarantee would love to stay.

Offer him a 3 year/1.5 per year deal. If he says no, you move him, if he says yes, you take that deal and run.
I'm sorry but that's way to much money for a 4th line guy. People **** on Murray for giving Chris Kelly $2.1M (myself included) when he plays a key defensive role on this team, does an excellent job on the PK and can put up 30-35 points yet you'd be ok to play a 4th line physical player who won't bring you more than 20 points only $600K less? Come on folks.

JoeSakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSakic View Post
I'm sorry but that's way to much money for a 4th line guy. People **** on Murray for giving Chris Kelly $2.1M (myself included) when he plays a key defensive role on this team, does an excellent job on the PK and can put up 30-35 points yet you'd be ok to play a 4th line physical player who won't bring you more than 20 points only $600K less? Come on folks.
You pay a premium for a player who brings things to the table that very few if any can. We have a bunch of Chris Kellys (or better) on this team but only one Chris Neil.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Answer

So, any call up from the minors?

I think we should try these lines..

Foligno - Fisher - Alfredsson

Heatley - Spezza - Ruutu

Kelly - Vermette - Shannon

McAmmond - Bass - Winchester

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:05 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answer View Post
So, any call up from the minors?

I think we should try these lines..

Foligno - Fisher - Alfredsson

Heatley - Spezza - Ruutu

Kelly - Vermette - Shannon

McAmmond - Bass - Winchester

... Bass is done for the year

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:09 PM
The Fuhr

And why breakup the Fisher, Foligno, Shannon line

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
jordan7hm

Donovan is apparently ready to come back Wednesday.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:17 PM
KrazyTea*

I think we should try these lines

Hedman - Hedman - Hedman
Hedman - Hedman - Hedman
Hedman - Hedman - Hedman
Hedman - Hedman - Hedman

Hedman - Hedman
Hedman - Hedman
Hedman - Hedman

Hedman
Hedman

KrazyTea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 04:18 PM
JoeSakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
You pay a premium for a player who brings things to the table that very few if any can. We have a bunch of Chris Kellys (or better) on this team but only one Chris Neil.
I disagree. I like Chris Neil, I really do. I'm a pugilist at heart and am on hockey fights all the time. What I don't want to do is sign guys to inflated contracts anymore on this team, especially not 4th liners. In a capped NHL that's poor cap management...now, IF Murray was able to move Fisher, Ruutu and Smith then maybe $1.5M for Neil would make sense...but with this roster as is we shouldn't waste extra cap dollars on a guy like Neil. In the off season we can find someone who can do an admiral job a filling that role if need be. Someone for the 4th line who won't be making to much money.

Hell, if NJ is interested in Kuba...they can take him and give us back a 1st and Clarkson. Now there's a guy I'd give $1.0M to play on my team.

Old
02-09-2009, 05:14 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
I disagree. I like Chris Neil, I really do. I'm a pugilist at heart and am on hockey fights all the time. What I don't want to do is sign guys to inflated contracts anymore on this team, especially not 4th liners. In a capped NHL that's poor cap management...now, IF Murray was able to move Fisher, Ruutu and Smith then maybe $1.5M for Neil would make sense...but with this roster as is we shouldn't waste extra cap dollars on a guy like Neil. In the off season we can find someone who can do an admiral job a filling that role if need be. Someone for the 4th line who won't be making to much money.

Hell, if NJ is interested in Kuba...they can take him and give us back a 1st and Clarkson. Now there's a guy I'd give $1.0M to play on my team.
Out of curiosity, what is the most money you'd give to Chris Neil this summer? Assuming Fisher, Ruutu and Smith stay, with Gerber and McAmmond off the books. Just wondering.

Clarkson would definitely be good to get, but I wonder how willing New Jersey is to part with him.

Old
02-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the most money you'd give to Chris Neil this summer? Assuming Fisher, Ruutu and Smith stay, with Gerber and McAmmond off the books. Just wondering.

Clarkson would definitely be good to get, but I wonder how willing New Jersey is to part with him.
Isn't almost guaranteed he gets 1.3 given that's what Ruutu makes. It's difficult to make a case that he deserves any less or more than Ruutu.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
JoeSakic

Quote:

Based on the contracts at hand...the most I'd be willing to give Neil is $1.1...essentially no pay raise but I'd give him that over 3 years.

I doubt Lou gives up Clarkson but man oh man is that guy ever tough and he has hands to boot.

Old
02-09-2009, 06:11 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Based on the contracts at hand...the most I'd be willing to give Neil is $1.1...essentially no pay raise but I'd give him that over 3 years.

I doubt Lou gives up Clarkson but man oh man is that guy ever tough and he has hands to boot.
I see.

Yeah, especially with the offensive side he's shown. I really wasn't expecting it at all, he's got a bit of everything.

Old
02-09-2009, 06:17 PM
JoeSakic

Quote:
I see.

Yeah, especially with the offensive side he's shown. I really wasn't expecting it at all, he's got a bit of everything.
The thing that impresses me the most about him is he's a relatively young guy who's so strong and respected in the league already. I don't profess to watch him religiously but I find he's very responsible defensively and he doesn't take very many stupid penalties.

I'd love him on the Sens.

Old
02-10-2009, 09:47 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Sena...30801-sun.html

Out two weeks.

Gotta love the article.

Quote:
"There goes my calf modelling career," cracked Neil as he balanced on crutches in the Senators dressing room yesterday.
Quote:
"I was telling him to hurry up so I could get back in and go out and play, but he said, 'No, I don't think you'll be back tonight.' It was quite a few stitches," said Neil.

Old
02-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Masterplan*

Quote:
Ottawa Senators forward Chris Neil recently told the Ottawa media he found it flattering his name was appearing so frequently in recent trade rumors, but insisted he wants to remain with the Senators. ~LINK~
If this is indeed true, then I think you sit down with Chris and see how he feels about being 'Tkachuked' this spring, and tell him there's "a million plus" reasons he should call you back July 1.....

Masterplan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 01:48 PM
BBB

I am surprised the Sens didn't call up Carkner for a little protection on this road trip.

BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:40 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
If this is indeed true, then I think you sit down with Chris and see how he feels about being 'Tkachuked' this spring, and tell him there's "a million plus" reasons he should call you back July 1.....
Meh, I wouldn't re-sign him for over a million, even if he wants to be here. He's a 4th liner, and we've already got some bad contracts on the team.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote