HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Remember the Flyers Last Year

Old
02-10-2009, 05:49 PM
happyhab*

vCash: 500
Remember the Flyers Last Year

Everyone needs to relax, I'm as angry as everyone else, but think about the flyers last year, hit with injuries losing a tonne of games barely getting in but they got it together at the right time....We are not a bad team injuries have hurt chemistry... and confidence is low....I'm certain we'll be fine

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Next Best Thing*

I'm optimistic...

ALL we have to do is make the playoffs, and face someone other than NJD or Boston in the first round.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:53 PM
OneSharpMarble

There is a difference, the flyers weren't losing because they didn't give a ****.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:05 PM
TheCH*

Remember the Canadiens last year?

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:20 PM
emb24*

here's the difference. the flyers have mike richards and jeff carter

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:21 PM
LeMAD

The FLyers are a team made for the playoffs. Habs are a regular season team.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:29 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I'd rather be the Flyers this year then last year.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
There is a difference, the flyers weren't losing because they didn't give a ****.
Do you REALLY think the players don't give a ****?

Seriously? I know people like to say that, but you can't seriously believe that, can you?

It was all love last year and this year before they hit this negative stretch, unless Gilette ran out of money and the Habs players haven't been getting paid, they all care about how things have gone recently, they all want to get out of it...it's a long season, teams go through this.

I really hope the Habs pick it up soon and finish strong, cause i'm gonna call you ALL out

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
The FLyers are a team made for the playoffs. Habs are a regular season team.
So I guess that means they should win the Cup right? Cause if they don't, would that mean that they weren't 'built for the playoffs'???

This board has gotten ridiculous...huge PMS'ing goin going on right now

Lame

Old
02-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
So I guess that means they should win the Cup right? Cause if they don't, would that mean that they weren't 'built for the playoffs'???

This board has gotten ridiculous...huge PMS'ing goin going on right now

Lame
Seriously..it's getting really lame.

People throwing meaningless one liners they heard from some crappy TV commentator.

I makes so much sense to say a team that finished 1st in the East, 2nd in the NHL I think, isn't built for POs.

That's the biggest crap I can hear. This and the ''we need more grit'' line has become the 2 most popular ones over here.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
Everyone needs to relax, I'm as angry as everyone else, but think about the flyers last year, hit with injuries losing a tonne of games barely getting in but they got it together at the right time....We are not a bad team injuries have hurt chemistry... and confidence is low....I'm certain we'll be fine
Last year, the Habs essentially sailed through the whole year...no injuries, no long slumps, hell they didn't lose more than 3 straight at any point last year and had multiple 4,5,6 game winning streaks

Until they hit the playoffs and ran into their first bit of adversity and they folded.

This year, things are different, not to mention the pressure is IMMENSE on the Habs this year.

Yeah, they're struggling now but not all is lost, not all of our players suddenly suck (at least not to me) hopefully, they learn from this bit of adversity and pull through and they'll remember this in the playoffs when things get tough.

I swear, one month ago all I read was threads talking about how great the Habs were despite suffering numerous injuries...now one month later, alot of you have given up hope and have basically turned on the team demanding the heads of every player or member of mangement/coaching staff.

Have some perspective man...look around the NHL, aside from the Bruins, most teams have gone through similar stretches, they bounce back, and so will the Habs

YA BIG BABIES!!!!

Old
02-10-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Seriously..it's getting really lame.

People throwing meaningless one liners they heard from some crappy TV commentator.
I makes so much sense to say a team that finished 1st in the East, 2nd in the NHL I think, isn't built for POs.

That's the biggest crap I can hear. This and the ''we need more grit'' line has become the 2 most popular ones over here.
exactly...

"Built for the playoffs"...come on!

2 years ago, the Ducks won the Cup and they were built for the playoffs with tough, physical play and stellar goaltending....last year, the Wings won the Cup with an almost opposite type of team.

Winning a Cup has alot more to do with team committment, dedication, discipline, sacrifice, health and some luck. Of course, personel matters, but without those things it really doesn't.

Now some people might say the Habs lack some of those things, but I disagree because I saw alot of those qualities in the team last year and this year as well (though not consistently)...now there's still alot of time left, the Habs need something good to happen to them, a good game where they can build some confidence and then anything can happen.

Old
02-10-2009, 07:03 PM
TheCH*

Quote:

Winning a Cup has alot more to do with team committment, dedication, discipline, sacrifice, health and some luck. Of course, personel matters, but without those things it really doesn't.
No matter how much of that a team possess, they also needs to have the skills and abilities to win it all. You can play to 100% of your abilities every night, that still may not be good enough because other teams are simply better.

Old
02-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
No matter how much of that a team possess, they also needs to have the skills and abilities to win it all. You can play to 100% of your abilities every night, that still may not be good enough because other teams are simply better.
Of course...i'm not doubting that

But I just think it's bull**** when people say that team "x" is "built for the playoffs"

For example the Habs vs. the Flyers last year...the Flyers are a team that will forever have that label of having a "team built for the playoffs" but if you take a look at that series, they beat the Habs because they got better goaltending and got all the bounces and were incredibly lucky, not because they were "built for the playoffs"

There's alot of elements that go into having a successful playoff run, of course having players who are willing to battle and go the extra length helps, but so much more comes in to play.

All these teams that people say are "built for the playoffs", there will only be 1 Cup winner, so what does that say about those other teams?

So again, having a great team definately improves your chances of winning, but it doesn't guarantee it...having all your players playing at their peak when it matters most, is what wins you a Cup and any 'type of team' can get hot and win it.

Old
02-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Raider917

the flyers werent good for most of the year after going on a 6-1 start. when i see how the canadiens season has gone so far, it is hard to ignore the similarities to the senators last year.

the thing that differs to me though is the fact that montreal (if gainey doesnt make a stupid deal) doesnt have the same type of salary structure. there are 10 ufas so only if gainey really screws up in the off season, will next year be as bad.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
the flyers werent good for most of the year after going on a 6-1 start. when i see how the canadiens season has gone so far, it is hard to ignore the similarities to the senators last year.

the thing that differs to me though is the fact that montreal (if gainey doesnt make a stupid deal) doesnt have the same type of salary structure. there are 10 ufas so only if gainey really screws up in the off season, will next year be as bad.
The Flyers had a mediocre regular season filled with ups and downs but they got hot right before the playoffs and carried that momentum all the way to the Eastern Conference Final

Old
02-10-2009, 07:27 PM
HABitual Fan

I prefer the Flyers of two years ago, GM realized he needed to retool, unloaded vets for players and picks and with the young core already in place, and what he acquired, turned it around in one season. Time for Gainey to realize the same thing, and acquire players for next year.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 07:32 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
I prefer the Flyers of two years ago, GM realized he needed to retool, unloaded vets for players and picks and with the young core already in place, and what he acquired, turned it around in one season. Time for Gainey to realize the same thing, and acquire players for next year.
It's still too early to give up the season now. We are still pretty much in the playoff pictures for now. In my opinion, we will probably make the playoff as a 7-8th position. Once you get into the playoff, anything can happen.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
Totally different situations

The Flyers had just fired their GM (Bobby Clarke) after a bad, bad half season...Holmgren took over a team that was in the basement of the NHL and had tradeable assets (Forsberg) and an underachieving team that was also suffering through injuries (Forsberg, Carter, Richards, Knuble all missed significant time) which explained their bad season.

Everyone knew the Flyers weren't that bad and everyone knew they'd bounce back...turning it around in one season wasn't exactly a "miracle on ice"

Now you want Gainey to to trade a bunch of players while his team is in a playoff spot?

Man, sometimes losing streaks bring out the worst in Habs fans

Old
02-10-2009, 07:37 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
The Flyers had a mediocre regular season filled with ups and downs but they got hot right before the playoffs and carried that momentum all the way to the Eastern Conference Final
I know.
That has nothing to do with the habs...

Old
02-10-2009, 07:54 PM
le_sean

Quote:
exactly...

"Built for the playoffs"...come on!

2 years ago, the Ducks won the Cup and they were built for the playoffs with tough, physical play and stellar goaltending....last year, the Wings won the Cup with an almost opposite type of team.

Now some people might say the Habs lack some of those things, but I disagree because I saw alot of those qualities in the team last year and this year as well (though not consistently)...now there's still alot of time left, the Habs need something good to happen to them, a good game where they can build some confidence and then anything can happen.
There is a big difference between the Habs and Red Wings though. The Wings actually have elite players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg and for every one of them there is a Holmstrom, Franzen, Draper, Maltby, etc.

The Habs are not built the same, it's just a team of gutless pukes except for the 3rd and 4th liner, but they are exactly that, just 3rd and 4th liners.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
There is a big difference between the Habs and Red Wings though. The Wings actually have elite players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg and for every one of them there is a Holmstrom, Franzen, Draper, Maltby, etc.

The Habs are not built the same, it's just a team of gutless pukes except for the 3rd and 4th liner, but they are exactly that, just 3rd and 4th liners.
No they're not...doesn't mean they can't win.

The Wings have had even better teams on paper than they did last year, who ended up getting bounced in the 1st round, 2 years ago, the Wings had 124pts in the regular season, with alot of the same names they have now, but they ended up getting bounced in the first round.

gutless pukes? why do you even bother cheering for them then?

Old
02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Am I the only one who wants Boston in the first round? Knocking them out in the first round would be hilarious.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:03 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Am I the only one who wants Boston in the first round? Knocking them out in the first round would be hilarious.
We do not have the team to beat Boston.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
We do not have the team to beat Boston.
Never underestimate the power of history repeating itself.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote