Notices

Dafoe Questions

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2004, 01:31 AM
moglesby

vCash: 500
Dafoe Questions

Was Byron Dafoe really as poor last season as his stats suggest? I was just wondering if he is currently still starter caliber, an above-average backup, or a poor backup.

Old
08-06-2004, 02:23 AM
TK79

Quote:
Originally Posted by moglesby
Was Byron Dafoe really as poor last season as his stats suggest? I was just wondering if he is currently still starter caliber, an above-average backup, or a poor backup.
I think his days as an NHL goalie might be over..

Old
08-06-2004, 02:34 AM
Law Dawg

It's sad to see his decline from an All Star calibre tender. He may find a home late in the free agent season. I'm sure someone will take a chance on him, but more likely they'll take a chance with two guys already in place and let Dafoe fight his way into the lineup or show his worth in the minors. There aren't too many teams which would need Dafoe at this stage, there are plenty of veteran tenders out there looking for new homes which would generate more interest than Lord Byron ....

Old
08-06-2004, 08:37 AM
Papadice

Send a message via MSN to Papadice
To me at this point Dafoe is the next Trevor Kidd... A goaltender that looked like he'd be a great starter for years to come, ran into injury problems, and has been a shadow of his former self ever since... Likely to never play another NHL game... With the glut of goaltenders out there now, I highly doubt any team will ever give either of them a shot anymore, unless they sign a two way contract, play in the minors and with their play force the team to call them up... I just don't see that happening...

Old
08-06-2004, 06:25 PM
StevenintheATL

When the Thrashers signed Dafoe, many fans thought this would be the answer to the teams goalie problems. Which is why many fans were shocked when the Thrashers drafted Lehtonen last year. Many people wrote off Dafoe's short season in 2002-2003 because of the late start and the real lack of quality training while waiting for a team to come calling (practicing with a local college team where you live is nothing like training with NHL [of even AHL] level players). Many people thought he was going to be a force last season as a result of his offseason training program. Unfortunately, he became another veteran goalie that fell victim to the problems of being on a young franchise.

Old
08-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespajet
When the Thrashers signed Dafoe, many fans thought this would be the answer to the teams goalie problems. Which is why many fans were shocked when the Thrashers drafted Lehtonen last year.
?? That's like saying no one could believe that it was rats transmitting the Black Plague because they thought they only transmitted the AIDs virus. It think you have your chronology a little backwards there, vespa.

Old
08-07-2004, 04:37 AM
Lessard Fretter

Send a message via AIM to Lessard Fretter
I thought Dafoe cost us a number of big games last season & that most of his 4 wins came in games that the team would have won with any number of average backup goalies.

He really had a rough season. Though I hope he catchs on somewhere & gets his NHL career back on track. Still his days as a NHL starting goalie seem behind him.

But it's hard to say, because if you put a solid defence in front of him, then he should do much better. Just as many goalies would.

Lastly, I was not one of those for signing Dafoe. As I can prove with past posts, though from another forum. Even so, I did wish him well after it was a done deal because he's a likable fellow & I have nothing against him.

Old
08-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Hockey Mojo

[QUOTE=Lessard Fretter]

But it's hard to say, because if you put a solid defence in front of him, then he should do much better. Just as many goalies would.

BINGO! Having no D-Man in front of Thrashers goalies has been our problem for the last five years!

Old
08-09-2004, 08:31 PM
neelynugs

i don't feel too bad for the guy. he overpriced himself more than once, and it came back to bite him in the behind. perhaps if he were more reasonable about contract demands, he'd still be a starter in the league somewhere. good luck byron

Old
08-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Law Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i don't feel too bad for the guy. he overpriced himself more than once, and it came back to bite him in the behind. perhaps if he were more reasonable about contract demands, he'd still be a starter in the league somewhere. good luck byron
I think it would be a long road back for Dafoe to ever be considered a starter in the NHL again. First he has to prove that he can be an effective backup again. It will be hard for him just to find a one way deal as a backup in the NHL next season. His best hope is to target a franchise which is bringing in an inexperienced #2 where he could slot in as the #3 and try to unseat the guy above him. Obviously he'll have to also take a very big paycut to make it work. He may be better off going to Europe ....

Old
08-15-2004, 03:54 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
?? That's like saying no one could believe that it was rats transmitting the Black Plague because they thought they only transmitted the AIDs virus. It think you have your chronology a little backwards there, vespa.
That's what happens when you have too much stuff up in the old skull, sometimes facts and dates get confused

Closed Thread