HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Gainey the problem?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2009, 05:34 PM
  #151
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
You sound like such a whiner. "He doesn't like the Habs, so I won't listen". He's on TSN and NBC and PJ is on CBC, but their opinions mean nothing to you.

Critical thinking - look into it.
Benoit Brunet, Le Barron, Gaston Therrien, and the list goes on, are on RDS..
Jean Pagé, Eric Hoziel, JC Lajoie, etc are on TQS, and some on CKAC.

What's your point??..

Other than Bob McKenzie and Dany Dubé, there isn't one of them I'd listen to unconditionally.


Pierre McGuire isn't that bad, but I don't agree with everything he says. But PJ is just a fool..he's funny, but he says a lot of dumb crap.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:36 PM
  #152
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Reading this thread serves as a reminder why I usually don't read them. It's filled with panic and non-sense with very little (if any) accurate and true information. Just a bunch of BS in order to try to look cool. Unfortunately, it's not working.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:41 PM
  #153
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,496
vCash: 500
So...do you want a BG who plays his cards close to his vest, with class...or a Brian Burke who calls out players on his team, just before he trades them? Who will have a better chance to get UFA's? The quiet one or the loud one? Just ask players who they would migrate to...I didn't read the whole thread, but to lay this on BG seems crazy...The man inherited an empty cupboard, and has done a good job!

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:51 PM
  #154
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice31 View Post
So what has changed since 2003? Why have other teams remained competitive, and even re-invented themselves in a shorter period of time (boston/anaheim/philly/nyj/detroit/san jose).

At some point, Bob needs to be held responsible..he's most likely the most over-rated GM in the league.

2003 we were still using guys like Traverse and Kilger. Zednik was arguably our best winger. You can't see the difference? I certainly do. Remember last year when we were first in the conference? Its basically the same team this year + Lang, Tanguay and Laraque. So because this year the team is losing, its Gainey's fault? Because the team is losing now, they're just as garbage as the team we had during the rebuild? Who's responsible for last year then? Just because the team is bad now, you're going to conveniently forget the fact that its basically the same team as last year?

Actually its because of fans like you that cause the Habs the type of problems that they have today. Unreasonable, illogical expectations. The media loves guys like you and when they bash the team mercilessly, create retarded expectations for young players like Price and apply crazy pressure on the team, its to satisfy fans like YOU. Who then come to places like HFBoards and spread this type of thinking to other Hab fans.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:52 PM
  #155
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Reading this thread serves as a reminder why I usually don't read them. It's filled with panic and non-sense with very little (if any) accurate and true information. Just a bunch of BS in order to try to look cool. Unfortunately, it's not working.
We can have our fair share of differences, but couldn't agree more with you about this.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:53 PM
  #156
Ape Clutch
Registered User
 
Ape Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Haiti
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
2003 we were still using guys like Traverse and Kilger. Zednik was arguably our best winger. You can't see the difference? I certainly do. Remember last year when we were first in the conference? Its basically the same team this year + Lang, Tanguay and Laraque. So because this year the team is losing, its Gainey's fault? Because the team is losing now, they're just as garbage as the team we had during the rebuild? Who's responsible for last year then? Just because the team is bad now, you're going to conveniently forget the fact that its basically the same team as last year?

Actually its because of fans like you that cause the Habs the type of problems that they have today. Unreasonable, illogical expectations. The media loves guys like you and when they bash the team mercilessly, create retarded expectations for young players like Price and apply crazy pressure on the team, its to satisfy fans like YOU. Who then come to places like HFBoards and spread this type of thinking to other Hab fans.
Oro!!

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
  #157
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We can have our fair share of differences, but couldn't agree more with you about this.
A difference of opinion in no way means any disrespect towards you, hope you know that.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 07:28 PM
  #158
loadie
Official Beer Taster
 
loadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,085
vCash: 500
I don't recall these threads being around last year when we were first in the Conference. If the Habs go on a roll and win 6 or 7 straight, will we still be having these threads? I highly doubt it.

loadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 07:53 PM
  #159
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
I don't recall these threads being around last year when we were first in the Conference. If the Habs go on a roll and win 6 or 7 straight, will we still be having these threads? I highly doubt it.
bipolar fans...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:27 PM
  #160
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Guy Lafleur thinks that the dressing room is divided. He says that leadership starts from the top (Gainey) all the way to the players and that they (management) must do something before it's too late. He's saying that Gainey has to trade players or bring players from Hamilton who will want to five 100% each game, even if those are tough decisions.

Quote:
Lafleur pense qu'il est dangereux de laisser aller la situation sans agir. Il ajoute que le Canadien a beaucoup de talent dans sa formation mais que l'effort n'y est pas toujours.

«Si ces joueurs sont incapables de produire et d’aider l'équipe et bien qu'on les change. On peut les remplacer par ces joueurs dans les mineures qui veulent jouer et qui donneront leur 100% pour gagner le match. C’est délicat comme situation, mais il faut se rendre à l’évidence. Si les joueurs travaillent, ils vont mettre les chances de leur côté. C’est important pour tous les joueurs de l’équipe.»

Full article in French

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:38 PM
  #161
loadie
Official Beer Taster
 
loadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
bipolar fans...
Yeah, no kidding.

loadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:59 PM
  #162
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Is Gainey "the problem"? No, that is absurd.

This team has made a lot of progress since he took over.

As for "boston/anaheim/philly/nyj/detroit/san jose" reinventing themselves?

Boston still hasn't won anything yet. No sustained success either

Anaheim had the one great stretch and is starting to falter.

philly got so many high first round picks floundering at the bottom I would hardly call that quickly reinventing themselves or remaining successful

NYJ? New York Jets? signing favre was a mistake. . . . Yes I know you meant NJ devils. The same management team, HoF goalie. Same strong core and system. Exactly when was there any reinvention? Continuity is the story in NJ.

Same for detroit. they have no problems getting free agents to sign. they also have no trouble getting their stars to resign for below market. mike Ilitch isn't afraid to spend when he has to either

San Jose. they are recently successful. still have to cross that last barrier and win a big prize

Funny how a lot of folks were modeling their approach after what Montreal accomplished last year. And also with building through youth. We have a solid corps of young players. VERY young players. Giving up on some of them as a result of less than a half season is just plain stupid. saying gainey has failed in that context is also just plain stupid.

But yeah sure. Why not change everything and start all over again

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:14 PM
  #163
C4KOMI
 
C4KOMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
I don't recall these threads being around last year when we were first in the Conference. If the Habs go on a roll and win 6 or 7 straight, will we still be having these threads? I highly doubt it.
yes--- montreal needs to make the playoffs and pass the 2nd round, only than can you say this team is working towards the cup.
this is gainey's objectives not mine.
remember his 5 year plan

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:21 PM
  #164
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
I don't recall these threads being around last year when we were first in the Conference. If the Habs go on a roll and win 6 or 7 straight, will we still be having these threads? I highly doubt it.
Well it is normal that while some people now are blind 'cause of how unsuccesful we are right now, some other people were blind by how succesful we were last year? Of course threads are more negative in losing cause.....I mean anybody here had great things to say while we were ridiculized against Calgary?

Just normal. Still, as much as I don't want to believe that we're as bad as it looks this year, I personnally don't believe we were as good as we were last year. Injuries play a heck of a role and we didn't have any last year while other teams in our conference keep having some.....and on top of that...we did only finish with 10 points ahead of the 8th place....

So, of course, critics weren't so vocal last year 'cause clearly we looked like a team who was just following the plan....but now....it is possible that we were blinded by some things and going insecure a little....Again, pretty normal if you ask me.....So is Gainey THE problem? Of course not....but he's part of the team and he actually needs to take some responsability right now like everyone does.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:25 PM
  #165
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,287
vCash: 500
Once again, Gainey's team has accomplished nothing the old crappy teams didn't accomplish so in reality all he did was change the names on the jersies. Whoopdeedoo

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
  #166
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Guy Lafleur thinks that the dressing room is divided. He says that leadership starts from the top (Gainey) all the way to the players and that they (management) must do something before it's too late. He's saying that Gainey has to trade players or bring players from Hamilton who will want to five 100% each game, even if those are tough decisions.
being a great player doesn't give you the key's of the habs' dressing room ... I really don't like it when former players get into that kind of stuff , as if they knew **** about anything regarding the personal relations factor vs on ice performance.

even went out and said gainey should bring players from hamilton who are showing up every game ... as if they could turn everything around on their own ... I'm sorry but not matter how hard chipchura is going to work , he's still not able to hold a regular spot on the team , let alone carrying it...

everytime a former players speaks his mind like this , it slowly destroys the image of perfection I have of them ...


Last edited by THE HOFF: 02-10-2009 at 11:21 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:37 PM
  #167
Nashy
The Honey Badger
 
Nashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post

everytime a former players speaks his mind like this , it slowly destroys the image of perfection I have of them ...
I agree with you on this....

Wasn't it Lafleur that said the Habs had four 4th lines last year?

and the Habs proceeded to make him eat his words?

Maybe, just maybe it'll happen again.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:40 PM
  #168
Pedro McGuire*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
anyone know when Brian Burke's contract ends in Anaheim?

He would be a great fit for us.
Uhmm....Should somebody tell this guy the "News"?

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:43 PM
  #169
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
being a great player doesn't give you the key's of the habs' dressing room ... I really don't like it when former players get into that kind of stuff , as if they knew **** about anything regarding the personal relations factor vs on ice performance.

even went out and said gainey should bring players from hamilton who are showing up every game ... as if they could turn everything around on their own ... I'm sorry but not matter how hard chipchura is going to work , he's still not able to hold a regular spot on the team , let alone carrying it...

everytime former players speaks his mind like this , it slowly destroys the image of perfection I have of them ...
I'll agree with most of what you're saying with the exception of him knowing **** about what's happening in the dressing room. Lafleur is around the team a lot and he does speak to Carbonneau, Gainey, Muller, Jarvis and company. I also do believe that this dressing room is split as it's obvious that Kovalev stopped giving any sort of effort once Koivu got back. That's not a former player talking, that's a fan noticing a change, which was also pointed by many others including some media and a former coach still connected to the team.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:44 PM
  #170
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bainey View Post
Uhmm....Should somebody tell this guy the "News"?
Nahhh. Let him find out in two or three years time.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:54 PM
  #171
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'll agree with most of what you're saying with the exception of him knowing **** about what's happening in the dressing room. Lafleur is around the team a lot and he does speak to Carbonneau, Gainey, Muller, Jarvis and company. I also do believe that this dressing room is split as it's obvious that Kovalev stopped giving any sort of effort once Koivu got back. That's not a former player talking, that's a fan noticing a change, which was also pointed by many others including some media and a former coach still connected to the team.
ok , if he was speaking to them , tell me why he'd share this with a BS rds journalist, while carbo is saying otherwise.


you have the right to think that the dressing room is split , but I think that whole excuse is crap. In my humble opinion , we can't just assume that because they are not performing at a high level of consistency since a couple of weeks, there is a problem in the dressing room . Just the same way I don't expect kovy and koivu to hold hands on valentines day if the team wins 10-0 tomorrow night. Its subjective , and wrong to assume and publish that type of gossip and make it look as if it was a fact.

the way bob gainey cleaned the room a couple of years ago , and the way carbo deals with the players make me think there are no such things as a disruptive chemistry between 1,2,10 players. Any event is subjected to one's interpretation of it , and I hate it when people like lafleur , and others are making it look as if they knew the path to glory... what is black and what is white.

they are transforming a sport in a reality show.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:01 PM
  #172
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
ok , if he was speaking to them , tell me why he'd share this with a BS rds journalist, while carbo is saying otherwise.
I know that you love Kovalev and I won't push the issue out of respect. But do you honestly think that Carbonneau would come out in public to say that the dressing room is spit? I think that asking the question is answering it as well. He did, however, call out Kovalev publicly in more than one occasion and said to the media that he'd have a talk with him. I think that it's as far as Carbo would go in public.

But what his friends (Demers, Lafleur and company) say is not up to him and I do take some of it seriously to some extent, because they are around the team, something that neither you nor I can claim.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:12 PM
  #173
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I know that you love Kovalev and I won't push the issue out of respect. But do you honestly think that Carbonneau would come out in public to say that the dressing room is spit? I think that asking the question is answering it as well. He did, however, call out Kovalev publicly in more than one occasion and said to the media that he'd have a talk with him. I think that it's as far as Carbo would go in public.

But what his friends (Demers, Lafleur and company) say is not up to him and I do take some of it seriously to some extent, because they are around the team, something that neither you nor I can claim.
I'm thinking about changing my name, it becomes hard to argue with someone when he can just say that I'm biassed towards him ...

but I don't think I am, and I'll try to have a decent argument with you , don't hesitate to throw in your rock solid arguments because I'm a kovy fan ...


that being said ... re-interpreting what carbo said in the press conference last week and making it look as if the apocaliptic kovy was destroying the life of each and every other hab isn't that hard. The media amplifier here is just unbelievable. A month ago, all these guys were saying that kovy was a strong model , playing a great role in the dressing room blablabla ...and then , he becomes public ennemy #1 because koivu comes back and he's having a rough time.

They are making it look as if a 36 years old was the reason nobody is playing up to their respective games ... somehow your argument is that kovy is spliting the room , and that its his fault if we are loosing ... that's the way your posts sound.


I'm against that kind of thinking ... cause its subjective , and nobody knows **** about it ... cuz it would be all over rds and ckac if there was any FACTS around the claims that the dressing room was split.


Last edited by THE HOFF: 02-10-2009 at 11:25 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:25 PM
  #174
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,986
vCash: 500
It's hard to look elsewhere given that the buck stops with the man upstairs. He's the one that has put this team together since 03.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:40 PM
  #175
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In The Lab.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post


You don't like Kovalev, you're free to think whatever pleases you. Just as the poster above me mentioned, Kovalev isn't the reason our defense is hopeless, our goaltending is weak and we have a poor time scoring goals. Until you have anything concrete, take your bandwagon-ing hatred elsewhere. While you're at it, add some more names to the tag under your user name, because I can't name many players who are playing much better than Kovalev. This board is a fail when slumping.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.