HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Jagr close to signing with Oilers (with source)

Old
02-10-2009, 06:05 PM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
whatever i want jagr back in the NHL. i'd obviously rather him be a ranger but as long as i get to see him play on TV, i'm cool with it.
Yea but hopefully you would want to see him in an Oilers uni I presume. Not a pens. I know times are tough. But if I wanted to see him that bad, I'd rather buy Center Ice.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:08 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I hope he rots in Russia and/or Europe *shrug*

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:23 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Are you sure you're not referring to Chris Simon? Kind of harsh words for Jagr...

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
Any player that plays in the khl or another european league during the nhl season has to clear waivers in order to play in the nhl in the same season. Thats why wade Dubi had to clear waivers when he signed with the islanders and the bluejackets claimed him. Sundin and shanny didnt have to clear waivers because they werent playing in another league. Now if this summer jagr decides to come back to the NHL for the 2009-10 season he would be free to sign with his team of choice and not have to go through waivers
That's right I forgot about him being picked up on waiver to the CBJ. So, there would really be no point in Jagr signing to the Oilers this season than b/c I'm pretty sure just about any team would take a snag at this guy. Especially teams struggling for a playoff spot.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:22 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Are you sure you're not referring to Chris Simon? Kind of harsh words for Jagr...
There is no love lost for Jagr. I appreciate his time here but was not sorry to see him go, especially with how things went at the end. I really think he knew he was going to the KHL all along. He knew he was not going to get the contract he wanted fromt he Rangers. IMO he sold out, what we were offering him was perfectly fair considering his play in his last season here(only 25 goals?) and his clear habit of getting lazy. He keeps getting praised as a good leader here; I'm sorry, being someone that plays Ice Hockey myself I cannot imagine being happy with a captain that takes shifts off or halfasses it at any time, let alone saying he is a great leader. Then again everyone here seems to factor in how the captain handles the media as a huge thing with a captaincy, I don't get that at all. I'm much more concerned with what happens behind closed doors than what my captain has to say in the paper unless he's out there badmouthing players.

Old
02-10-2009, 11:25 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Wow.

Why are you so bitter? It's obvious that the Rangers didn't need him with the 'superstars' they signed in the last two years. Who needs Jagr when you have Gomez/Drury/Redden, huh?

Just wait for the playoffs.....I heard Drury is clutch or something.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:30 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
There is no love lost for Jagr. I appreciate his time here but was not sorry to see him go, especially with how things went at the end. I really think he knew he was going to the KHL all along. He knew he was not going to get the contract he wanted fromt he Rangers. IMO he sold out, what we were offering him was perfectly fair considering his play in his last season here(only 25 goals?) and his clear habit of getting lazy. He keeps getting praised as a good leader here; I'm sorry, being someone that plays Ice Hockey myself I cannot imagine being happy with a captain that takes shifts off or halfasses it at any time, let alone saying he is a great leader. Then again everyone here seems to factor in how the captain handles the media as a huge thing with a captaincy, I don't get that at all. I'm much more concerned with what happens behind closed doors than what my captain has to say in the paper unless he's out there badmouthing players.
I'm pretty sure there was no offer or contract negotiations with Jagr, Sather parted ways with him and that was it. He wasn't lazy, he carried the offense on his back down the stretch and in the playoffs. We'll see how well this team does down the stretch without Jagr....

Old
02-10-2009, 11:34 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there was no offer or contract negotiations with Jagr, Sather parted ways with him and that was it. He wasn't lazy, he carried the offense on his back down the stretch and in the playoffs. We'll see how well this team does down the stretch without Jagr....
of course the team is going to struggle without Jagr, they never bothered to replace him.

He wasn't lazy? Wow, he carried the offense on his back down the stretch, and how about before that? Must be nice to be able to take shifts off during the first half of the season and still have fanboys like this.

Old
02-10-2009, 11:36 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
Wow.

Why are you so bitter? It's obvious that the Rangers didn't need him with the 'superstars' they signed in the last two years. Who needs Jagr when you have Gomez/Drury/Redden, huh?

Just wait for the playoffs.....I heard Drury is clutch or something.
I'm not all that bitter, I just don't see how someone can miss him. It was his time to leave. Period. Hell, exclamation point.

The poor moves made to replace Jagr have little to do with the fact that he was on the decline and should not have been re-signed.

Old
02-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
of course the team is going to struggle without Jagr, they never bothered to replace him.

He wasn't lazy? Wow, he carried the offense on his back down the stretch, and how about before that? Must be nice to be able to take shifts off during the first half of the season and still have fanboys like this.
Obviously you are a no-nothing bum. Jagr admitted that he could not play as well at the beginning of the season if he was expected to be at top form for the end of the year. He said as he got older he felt wear on his body throughout the year and as you saw against the Devils in the 06 playoffs he was not the player he was during the year. Jagr never denied the fact that he was not playing as well as he "could" have at the beginning of the year but the trade off was the Jagr we saw down the stretch last year and the player we saw in the playoffs. He was the best player in the playoffs, not just on the Rangers but in the ENTIRE LEAGUE. When the Rangers were elminiated he was leading the league in playoff points. He carried the team on his back and if you watched some of the Penguin games you saw him single handedly do things that we have yet to see Crosby or Malkin achieve. So if you are trying to say he shouldn"t have any "fanboys" then seriously go be a fan of another team. Jagr is the man and i would gladly take him back anyday. He was one of my favorite Rangers in recent history and unofortuntley replaced with Naslund who is not a quarter of the player that Jagr is.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:47 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=238331

^Story says they were set to sit down and talk extension a week later, couldn't find a follow up to this but below there is a reported 1 year offer. It also provides a wonderful reminder as to all the reasons we did not and should not have re-signed him for anything other than worked for our team anyway. The guy needs the pressure of being the highest paid player on the team to perform? What a crock, nice puppetry by his agents.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...l_at_odds.html

Old
02-10-2009, 11:53 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethon2998 View Post
Obviously you are a no-nothing bum. Jagr admitted that he could not play as well at the beginning of the season if he was expected to be at top form for the end of the year. He said as he got older he felt wear on his body throughout the year and as you saw against the Devils in the 06 playoffs he was not the player he was during the year. Jagr never denied the fact that he was not playing as well as he "could" have at the beginning of the year but the trade off was the Jagr we saw down the stretch last year and the player we saw in the playoffs. He was the best player in the playoffs, not just on the Rangers but in the ENTIRE LEAGUE. When the Rangers were elminiated he was leading the league in playoff points. He carried the team on his back and if you watched some of the Penguin games you saw him single handedly do things that we have yet to see Crosby or Malkin achieve. So if you are trying to say he shouldn"t have any "fanboys" then seriously go be a fan of another team. Jagr is the man and i would gladly take him back anyday. He was one of my favorite Rangers in recent history and unofortuntley replaced with Naslund who is not a quarter of the player that Jagr is.
In other words, in his words actually, he was holding something back for the playoffs. If you can't handle an 82 game season, then yes, Russia is for you Jagr. Enjoy the tax free salary, buh bye. Imagine what we could've done with home ice if he didn't have to "save something" for the stretch and the playoffs.

I'm sorry that I'm not going to miss him just because we are struggling right now. We'd be struggling right now with him. He'd probably be on the same pace Naslund is pointwise. Naslund's on pace to score more goals than he did in his final season here.

And this is flawed thinking that Naslund is a direct replacement for Jagr. Just like when people think Voros was intended to replace Avery. Since when do teams ALWAYS look to replace one player directly with one other player? Rarely.

I should go be a fan of another team because I don't appreciate players that turn it on and off when they feel like it? Forget that. I can't recall greats like Gretzky, Lemeuix, Howe(the guy played til he was gray haired), Yzerman, Messier, etc etc etc dogging it or not playing well early because their bodies were wearing down. The guy is a professional athlete. This is his job. I have no sympathy. Start training harder, sharpen up your diet. Or accept that you're not the player you once were and take a pay cut and go on a year to year basis with your contract like most players in his situation.

Old
02-10-2009, 11:56 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=238331

^Story says they were set to sit down and talk extension a week later, couldn't find a follow up to this but below there is a reported 1 year offer. It also provides a wonderful reminder as to all the reasons we did not and should not have re-signed him for anything other than worked for our team anyway. The guy needs the pressure of being the highest paid player on the team to perform? What a crock, nice puppetry by his agents.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...l_at_odds.html
There were never any negotiations, no term was ever reached. He probably should have been the highest paid player on the team if he were to come back, he is better than Gomez and Drury.

Quote:
Jagr was thought to be seeking a two-year deal to return to the Rangers, while Sather seemed more interested in bringing him back for one. Sather said he was never told by Jagr or his agent, Pat Brisson, exactly what the terms would be to keep Jagr.

"He told me he wanted to play here, I told him we wanted him to play here, his agent told me he wanted to play here, I told his agent several times, but it never got back to the situation where he said, 'If you give me X amount of dollars, I'll come back to play in New York,"' Sather said. "I kind of always got the feeling that maybe there was something in Russia that is really looking at him, and if there was enough money to stay here he would've stayed.

"We never got down to that situation where I knew exactly what he was looking for whether it was a one-year or a two-year, or a longer-year term. There was never any discussion like that. It's pretty tough to negotiate with yourself."

Brisson characterized the negotiations differently.

"Glen and I had many discussions regarding Jaromir in the past month or so," he said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "It wasn't a matter of he and or us coming up with the right proposal. Jaromir wants to get a deal done if, when, and or where he sees fit. Time will tell."
Link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-naslund_N.htm

Old
02-11-2009, 01:25 AM
pavvento

Another great move by Sather. I love the above quote, the Agent never told him how much it would cost to stay in NY. Hmm, you're a General Manager, don't you have the authority to offer a contract also?

Let's face it, since he has taken over this team has not had one good free agent signing, has had 1, ONE! 1st round draft pick pan out, has hired ONE coach that actually have a winning season, and that's it!

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Sidgeni Malkby

You gotta keep things that are working....

It all changed when Sather spurned his top line by dumping Nylander and signing Gomez and Drury. You don't mess with chemistry like that especially when you are successful, then except everything to be peachy keen.

Especially considering Gomez and Drury came with the intention of ousting Jagr. I can't find the reference but quotes of "our team" and "that's the way we wanted it when we came to NY".

Everybody blamed Jagr last year for the Rangers woes....that he was holding the team back...and now we're a team based on speed with Gomez and Drury leading. So where is this greatness?

Drury should go back to winning little league championships.

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:05 AM
Sidgeni Malkby

And then to top it all off, we dumped a 35 year old Jagr, and went after a 37 year old Sundin.

Go figure!

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 07:42 AM
squishy

Quote:
In other words, in his words actually, he was holding something back for the playoffs.
Yeah, cause look how it worked out with Shanny, who went all-out the first three months of the season and was a waste of hockey skates by the time February rolled around.

If you think Jagr's the first vet not to give 100% through every single game of an 82 game schedule, you're being ridiculously naive. The only difference is that Jagr admitted it.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Chimp

There's even a chance someone will claim Avery. The chance of no one claiming Jagr on waivers before Oilers do is just zero.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:20 AM
SPG

Quote:
...right... because we're so much better of with our current $7M/year 20-25 goal captain... right...

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:26 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Well wow.

First off, edmonton needs a player? How about Gomez for a bag of pucks

Secondly, if Omsk decides to waive Jagr he would have to clear waivers to come back to the NHL.

IF a deal is worked out between Omsk and The Oilers in terms of Omsk giving the Oilers Jagr on loan with compensation to Omsk for dollars, then he doesn't have to clear waivers.

NHL players can be sent to Euro teams without clearing waivers, as long as a deal with them is in place. I am pretty sure that's how it worked with other players this year but am not 100% certain.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:20 AM
The Thomas J.*

I still don't undertsand why there is a dumb re-entry waiver rule, if u are a F/A & go play in a completly diffrent leauge that is not the NHL & you decide to leave that team for what ever reason, waived, cut bought out etc... You are still a Group 1 F/A as far the NHL goes.

A plyer should not have to go though re-entry waivers, what is the sense of being a Free agent than.

The only thing I can thing off is that the NHL did not want to make it easy for players to drift in & out of the leauge. It's BS & has to change NOW.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:23 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLikesHockey View Post
Well wow.

First off, edmonton needs a player? How about Gomez for a bag of pucks

Secondly, if Omsk decides to waive Jagr he would have to clear waivers to come back to the NHL.

IF a deal is worked out between Omsk and The Oilers in terms of Omsk giving the Oilers Jagr on loan with compensation to Omsk for dollars, then he doesn't have to clear waivers.

NHL players can be sent to Euro teams without clearing waivers, as long as a deal with them is in place. I am pretty sure that's how it worked with other players this year but am not 100% certain.

If that's the case, we have a tramsfer agreement in place with OMSK, can't we send them Redden for Jagr?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:27 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

*fizzle*

Quote:
Jagr-to-Oilers talk loses steam?
On Tuesday, The Edmonton Journal reported in one of its blogs that Jaromir Jagr was close to finalizing a deal to play with the Oilers next season.
But team president Kevin Lowe denied that, according to the newspaper
Quote:
Pat Brisson, who along with J.P. Barry of CAA Sports was Jagr's last NHL representation, said he had no knowledge of the situation.

"We haven't heard from Jaromir in five months," Brisson told ESPN.com.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Valley View Post
Yeah. The entire journalism industry.

Notice that this blog is on a reputable newspaper's website, written by a beat reporter. What does it matter what medium it's written in? If the dude chiseled it to a ******* rock, what difference would it make.

Don't blame the entire idea of blogging for shoddy journalism.
Obviously, there is no fact-checking or editorial review when even reputable journalists "blog" away. You don't see a problem with that?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Obviously, there is no fact-checking or editorial review when even reputable journalists "blog" away. You don't see a problem with that?
Sure there is a problem with that, but that doesn't mean there isn't a huge advantage to it. Being a beat writer for a sports team is such a more involved job now that the blog format is as popular as it is.

It certainly isn't flawless, but it brings more to the reader, so much more, than a single article in the paper does.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote