HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Death of the Shutout rule.

Old
02-10-2009, 06:30 PM
nine_inch_fang

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Death of the Shutout rule.

Is it just me or did Trotz come out and say that in the paper because he felt handcuffed on goalie choice for the stars game?

I don't think he wanted to play Ellis and regrets having to after that awful second goal and delay penalty.

Personally I don't think we see Ellis again unless Pekka falters horribly. Or if he REALLY needs a rest which I doubt he will being so young.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:53 PM
braindead

Agree and I think it showed tonight against the Wings- Rinne had been on a roll and he didn't look as sharp in a few instances tonight. He still had a hell of a game but I think you are right that we won't see Ellis again soon.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Is it just me or did Trotz come out and say that in the paper because he felt handcuffed on goalie choice for the stars game?
Actually the article said that Trotz had decided over the All-Star break to eliminate that rule, quoting him as saying something to the effect of, "I made the rule, so I can change the rule." Ellis did get the next start, but it was not due to the rule being in effect.

Don't really think Rinne looked very rusty tonight. Had a couple goals go in that he would have liked back, but didn't get any help on the first goal (third shot, Klein standing around like a traffic cone), was screened on the second goal (Hamhuis directly in the line of sight), probably wants back the third goal (2 on 1 break with Hossa and Kronwall attacking Hamhuis after Smithson gets caught on a bad change shorthanded), and got beat on a great backhand from Zetterburg on a partial breakaway off a great gadget play that sprung him loose.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:15 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Actually the article said that Trotz had decided over the All-Star break to eliminate that rule, quoting him as saying something to the effect of, "I made the rule, so I can change the rule." Ellis did get the next start, but it was not due to the rule being in effect.

Don't really think Rinne looked very rusty tonight. Had a couple goals go in that he would have liked back, but didn't get any help on the first goal (third shot, Klein standing around like a traffic cone), was screened on the second goal (Hamhuis directly in the line of sight), probably wants back the third goal (2 on 1 break with Hossa and Kronwall attacking Hamhuis after Smithson gets caught on a bad change shorthanded), and got beat on a great backhand from Zetterburg on a partial breakaway off a great gadget play that sprung him loose.
Well considering that rule is only what, a year maybe two old it seems that is was more of an excuse to keep the backup in too see if he could get something going. Then depending on how the second game went the decision was made for the coach.

This is what it always seemed to me anyway. Can't remember off hand if we saw it with Vokoun/Mason but I know we saw it with Mason/Ellis and I thought it was a cop out to avoid a "goalie controversy" then.

I'm also not sure I believe the part about the all-star break. Again it sounds like lip service to me....."I don't want any more controversy so I'll just tell them that I did away with that rule at some obscure point a couple weeks ago"..... yeah rIIIIIIIght. If that was the case then why did Glennon use it as one of the reasons that Ellis played again instead of putting the starting goalie back in? Is he that bad of a beat writer?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote