HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Trade Myth- Fact or Fiction?

Old
02-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Stradale

vCash: 500
If Detroit drafted Kostitsyn at that time, Im pretty sure he'd be a 30-40 goals scorer by now and we will probably have the same discussion.

Its so easy to back in time and say they should have done this or that. We all know Andrei has a lots of potential but he doesnt seem to able to be more consistent but put him with a top center and he will easily score 30 goals+. It really depends of the environment/team the players is developed.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:35 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
some people just love to judge scouts/GMs so heavily years after the fact. i'd love for them to have their job for just one draft and see how awful they do.

there are 29 GMs who missed on Hasek, Zetterberg and Datsyuk and so many more.. should they all be fired?
+ they are kids when drafted , so there is nothing rock solid about it unless its a malkin or a phaneuf , an ovechkin or a crosby ...

after the 2nd round , it often is a coin toss based on what they think the progression of the player will be ... detroit arent bad at it ... but let's be honest ; more teams envy us on drafting than the other way around ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Trading is stupid

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:49 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I think Gainey built a good team over the years, but how can a GM predict that 95% of his roster would bomb this season? Should it be a requirement for GMs these days to have a degree in sports psychology?

And coming back to criticizing Timmins' pick, it's very unfair to compare Andrei Kostitsyn with Burns, Getzlaf or Parise. Those 3 players are playing their fourth year in the NHL, while Andrei Kostitsyn is only playing his 2nd full year, not getting nearly the ice time that those other players get.

It's a bit like when Boston traded Thornton. Back in 2006, everybody agreed to say that San Jose just robbed Boston. But now, the trade looks pretty even, Boston managed to acquire Sturm, Ference and Kobasew (after trading Stuart and Primeau), who are three very important components in their team. People jump to conclusions too quickly, it takes years to evaluate hockey deals and decisions.

Honestly, if you had the 1993 1st overall pick (at that time), wouldn't you have picked Daigle?
no...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Burke won a cup 2 years ago. FACT. And if you think it just "fell in his lap" you are delusional. After Burke left Anaheim he was highly sought after by teams.

Yes, the roster has improved but it hasn't resulted in tangible results. One year where everything goes well and you win the conference was a great accomplishment, but barely beating the 8th place and then stinking against Philly was a disappointment.

Also, Gainey has this team in a terrible position with respect to free agency. He has a bunch of free agents and has a proven record of not being able to attract any.

BTW, does putting "GTFO" at the end of your messages make you some kind of tough guy or something? I don't get it.
Burke did win the Cup 2 years ago, but like Ozy and I already said, he came into an already competitive team. We have to give him credit for putting in the remaining missing pieces, but it's not like he had too many holes.
Gainey inherited a very weak team, and turned it into a 1st place team. Believe it or not, but we're still a very good team.

If you also want to look at his days in Vancouver, then I don't know why we shouldn't look at Gainey's days in Dallas too. He made them finish 1st five time in a row. Bringing in Hull, Belfour, Zubov. Making that crucial trade of Iginla for Nieuwendyk, that got him a cup. He also made sure to keep the key elements of that team.

I also disagree with you when you say he placed the team in a very bad situation regarding free agency. I think Bob knew and knows exactly what he's doing.
I'm sure he didn't resign any of them because he wants to wait and see who deserves to be resigned. That's why most players he went after were only signed to another season. He didn't want to have too much money already locked up. Considering how badly some of them are playing it's hard to argue he did the wrong thing.

I think this will leave Bob Gainey with a lot of room to make different signing that could transform our team come next year.
He's also giving himself a lot of money to possibly attract certain UFA.
Koivu and Komisarek are the only two I think he'll resigned.
Plek and Higgins are also going to resign for less than they would have asked for after last season. Tanguay is the only other one I see him maybe resign. I'm happy with this.
If what we hear about Kovalev's attitude is true, then can you imagine how he'd react if he saw Koivu/Komi resign but get nothing himself?..
I think Gainey did the right thing, and I'm looking forward to seeing our team change over the summer.
Kovalev, Begin, Bouillon, Lang, Dandy, Breezer possibly Tanguay and Kosto could possibly leave. That's 6-8 new players or younger ones taking up a more present role. I'm looking forward to that to be honest.

I think you're not giving him near as much credit as he deserves, and give Burke too much of it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
If Detroit drafted Kostitsyn at that time, Im pretty sure he'd be a 30-40 goals scorer by now and we will probably have the same discussion.

Its so easy to back in time and say they should have done this or that. We all know Andrei has a lots of potential but he doesnt seem to able to be more consistent but put him with a top center and he will easily score 30 goals+. It really depends of the environment/team the players is developed.
This has been confirmed during his short stint with Koivu.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
This has been confirmed during his short stint with Koivu.
Too bad Carbo does not agree... for some reason

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:44 AM
CarrePrisme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Germany is really bad example dude. Their comeback was propted by international banking. That's why it came back on top so quickly. Also, note that they were the most dominant country before WW1 too, but that's a whole different story.

But I get your point.
ah yes, the good 'ole international banking conspiracy theory, which really is the new euphemism for jews, isn't it?

Back to topic, I agree with the poster. People need to stop screaming for trades whenever there is a losing streak. Truth is, trades wouldn't change much in this new league unless you'd get a Lindros trade like Nords did, which won't happen.

Too many people think that being a GM is like exchanging hockey cards when you were a kid. I assume it entails a little more than that, otherwise anyone could do it.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote