HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nylander?

Old
02-10-2009, 11:19 PM
HTFN

vCash: 500
Nylander?

I remember the Nylander/Byfuglien rumors from early on in the year, and then everything fizzled out. If what they say is true, and the Caps want to deal Nylander (though I'd rather Fedorov be the one to leave), what teams take bids, and what do they offer?

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Barney Gumble

Maybe a draft pick to take him off your hands? Cap hit of $4.875 million in 2010/11 (the year the cap is expected to go down by a fair chunk) will scare off alot of teams (not like he's earning his cap hit this season). Age plays a negative factor as well.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
HTFN

Actually, from what I understand, the cap will go up a bit next season. It's the season after that that everyone has to worry about.

Anyway, the problem I see with giving away Nylander for just a pick is that if Fedorov retires next year, the Capitals will take a bit of a dip in the second line center position. You would have to set Kozlov back at second line center (or maybe Laich), and then put Semin or Fehr up at first line RW. It's not to say that it can't be done, because of Gordon, Steckel, and Laich all being Centers (along with Bouchard and company in Hershey), but if I were GMGM, I don't think that'd be enough to sell me on Nylander.

Old
02-11-2009, 01:39 AM
HTFN

So no value at all, eh?

Old
02-11-2009, 03:01 AM
C-A-P-S

You're new here but check these threads a bit more carefully and you will see about 10 Nylander trade value threads....

Feeling around here is that most HF posters are afraid of his contract and would hate if their team acquired him.

Most Caps posters think he is still a valuable cog in the right system but doesn't fit what BB does in his system. I think the consensus is if the Caps can get a mid-late round pick for him to get cap room they would do it.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:11 AM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
You're new here but check these threads a bit more carefully and you will see about 10 Nylander trade value threads....

Feeling around here is that most HF posters are afraid of his contract and would hate if their team acquired him.

Most Caps posters think he is still a valuable cog in the right system but doesn't fit what BB does in his system. I think the consensus is if the Caps can get a mid-late round pick for him to get cap room they would do it.
This is where I'm a minority. I firmly believe that with Fedorov's impending retirement, we need to get Fedorov off the books and hold Nylander in his second line center position. It's still a bit too early in the development of our other centers. By the time Nylander's contract expires, we'll have a center that can actually take on the responsibilities of the second line, but for now, if we deal Nylander and Fedorov retires (or keeps getting hurt), we're going to be hurting for a second liner.

The worst case scenario finds us with:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Kozlov
Semin - Laich - Fehr
Fleischmann - Steckel - Clark(?)/Bouchard
Osala - Gordon - Bradley

Actually, now that I look at it, that's not TERRIBLE, but it's also next year. Now I don't know about you, but Aucoin is already over 30, and not likely to amount to anything but a desperation callup. Same with Giroux, for that matter. The best we're going to have up the center is Gustafsson and Perrault, both of whom I don't expect to see until the 2010 season.

Old
02-11-2009, 03:46 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntsghost View Post
This is where I'm a minority. I firmly believe that with Fedorov's impending retirement, we need to get Fedorov off the books and hold Nylander in his second line center position. It's still a bit too early in the development of our other centers. By the time Nylander's contract expires, we'll have a center that can actually take on the responsibilities of the second line, but for now, if we deal Nylander and Fedorov retires (or keeps getting hurt), we're going to be hurting for a second liner.

The worst case scenario finds us with:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Kozlov
Semin - Laich - Fehr
Fleischmann - Steckel - Clark(?)/Bouchard
Osala - Gordon - Bradley

Actually, now that I look at it, that's not TERRIBLE, but it's also next year. Now I don't know about you, but Aucoin is already over 30, and not likely to amount to anything but a desperation callup. Same with Giroux, for that matter. The best we're going to have up the center is Gustafsson and Perrault, both of whom I don't expect to see until the 2010 season.
You need to go check out the Nylander trade thread watch on the Caps boards. BOTH of them. You will really get your fill especially from Strungout...who is actually actively campaigning outside GMGM's house as we speak to get him traded.

But seriously, I like Nylander as a player, but I don't think he's fitting in too well. Personally I would trade him get cap room in order to acquire a legit top 3 defenseman for the Cup run this season.

Personally, I think if they win the Cup this year or get close next season, Feds can be resigned and he'll be just as productive and a great leader in the locker room. After the 09/10 season wraps up its a whole new ball game as Semin, Backstrom and Flash are all up for new deals. A new #2 center can be found at that point IMHO.

But for the present, the Caps need cap room to get another defenseman and the only way that works is shipping Nylander out.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:51 AM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
You need to go check out the Nylander trade thread watch on the Caps boards. BOTH of them. You will really get your fill especially from Strungout...who is actually actively campaigning outside GMGM's house as we speak to get him traded.

But seriously, I like Nylander as a player, but I don't think he's fitting in too well. Personally I would trade him get cap room in order to acquire a legit top 3 defenseman for the Cup run this season.

Personally, I think if they win the Cup this year or get close next season, Feds can be resigned and he'll be just as productive and a great leader in the locker room. After the 09/10 season wraps up its a whole new ball game as Semin, Backstrom and Flash are all up for new deals. A new #2 center can be found at that point IMHO.

But for the present, the Caps need cap room to get another defenseman and the only way that works is shipping Nylander out.
True, I could see moving Nylander with that Schultz/Morrisonn kind of thing for Pronger, or someone of Pronger's worth. I think you get bonus points for it because Pronger isn't a rental (but don't call me on that one).