HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks trade with Blackhawks (minor)

Old
12-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Bootsauce

vCash: 500
Back on topic a page and a half later.......

The Moose are known as a first class organization and probably made a few calls to see if anyone was interested in a guy they knew they were not going to have room for. They traded him to give him a chance to play.

Bootsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 01:49 AM
timw33

Did Sharrow count as a vet?

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
The AHL vet rule:

"Every team in the AHL is allowed to dress a maximum of FIVE "veteran" skaters in a game. A veteran skater is one who has played over 260 AHL/NHL/IHL/European Elite League regular-season games PRIOR to the start of the season. (ie. If a skater has played only 259 such games by the start of the season, he isn't classified as a veteran until the following year.)

This is the part I didn't know: In addition to those five players, each team is allowed to dress ONE extra skater who has played between 260-320 such games. So essentially, an AHL team can dress up to five players who have played over 260 games (as of the start of the season) and another one who has played less than 320 games (as of the start of the season)."

I bit that from Jenn's Journal on the Oiler's Website, of all places (she got the info from the Moose's GM Heisinger)!
http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/ind...ntentry&eid=19
Based on that, Sharrow is not considered a veteran...he had only played 133 AHL games prior to this season.

Last edited by Steveorama: 12-10-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:41 AM
fergo
Are we stopped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckered View Post
I don't really follow the Moose that closely. Will this move hurt their chances at the Calder Cup or was Sharrow easily expendable? Hopefully, the kid gets to play in some NHL games for the Blackhawks.
If the Moose were hurt by this move, I'd say the pain from it would be minimal, at best. Sharrow was effectively Manitoba's 6th-7th defenceman. He put up an okay amount of points, but not enough to make up for his lacklustre defensive coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
As for Jesse Schultz....meh, any "credit" for finding him should go to the Moose GM (at least that's my recollection). Like Burrows' case - Nonis benefited from the Moose GM able to spot talent unlike some of the guys in this organization.
Not quite. Jesse Schultz was a Brian Burke signing back in 2003. The Moose had little, if any influence on who signed with them as far as junior prosects were concerned. I believe the lack of having any say in certain things to do with the team was part of the reason Randy Carlyle left his GM role with the Moose after the first season of the Canucks/Moose affiliation. He also wanted to get back into coaching, after getting removed from his head coaching post to make room for Stan Smyl.

Anyways, the Moose did sign some minor league players to fill out the roster not occupied by Canuck prospects (like a Brandon Reid or Jason King, for example) or retreads (Martin Brochu, anyone?), and one of those Moose signings eventually went on to play for the Canucks (Alexandre Burrows).

It wasn't until after the Fedor Fedorov fiasco of 2003-04 that Moose GM Craig Heisinger even signed a player coming out of the junior leagues (Chanse Fitzpatrick was his first, I believe). Before then, it was basically the Canucks saying "what we say, goes" as far as the affilation was concerned. Thankfully things have changed since then.

Back onto Schultz...I can't say I was ever impressed by him. He wasn't exactly fleet of foot, as far as skating was concerned, and his play away from the puck wasn't that great. He can be a decent player at the minor league level, but I wouldn't call him a top-tier player, along the lines of a Jason Krog or Darren Haydar. For the Canucks to basically pencil him in as their second-line right winger a couple of years ago was rather surprising. There was nothing wrong with trying him out for the spot, but the fact they didn't have an effective backup plan in case he didn't pan out was even more insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
No. He had only played 133 AHL games going into this season, so he won't become an AHL veteran for any least another couple of seasons.

fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 08:12 PM
ZombieMatt

Decent move. Sharrow has zero NHL future if his past is any indication.

May as well take another roll with the dice.

ZombieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 01:14 AM
Scheme

The. Cup. Is. So.
Ours!!!!!

Scheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:18 AM
Agent007

Sorry for bumping this up but here's an update to an earlier trade:

According to this website the conditional pick is a 7th round draft pick if Sharrow plays 10 or fewer games with the Hawks which is more than likely going to be the case.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...re/Canucks.htm

So in other words we currently have a draft pick in every round for 2009 with our 7th round draft pick going to LA and either Chicago's 7th round draft pick or Florida's 7th round draft pick coming our way.

It'll be interesting to see if any of our picks get moved by the deadline.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:42 AM
orcatown

Good sleuthing 007.

All round very minor but good moves by the Nucks. LaBarbera is a good pickup for a 7th, especially if the 7th can be replaced, and Sharrow would not even be playing for the Moose at this point.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Vector

It was good asset management by Gillis. Labarbera for Sharrow is a deal I'd gladly do.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:10 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

So basically we really didn't lose anything when we traded for LaBarbera.

The draft pick might be higher than ours though, or it could be lower. That's really the only difference.

02-11-2009, 04:14 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
So basically we really didn't lose anything when we traded for LaBarbera.

The draft pick might be higher than ours though, or it could be lower. That's really the only difference.
Hopefully it's the Florida pick that comes our way but either way it's pretty much the same as saying we traded Lababera for Sharrow which IMO is a pretty solid deal.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:33 AM
Lowkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
Hopefully it's the Florida pick that comes our way but either way it's pretty much the same as saying we traded Lababera for Sharrow which IMO is a pretty solid deal.
Definitely a solid deal even if the guy only played 1 game. He gave us more than that and played quite well. More than Sharrow was ever going to do for this team. Good job Gillis!

Lowkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:41 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Kind of funny actually.

I wish I had known this earlier. Trading for LaBarbera looks a whole lot better now with having all our picks still.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
It'll be interesting to see if any of our picks get moved by the deadline.
My guess is that only the 1st rounder would be off the table for most transactions. I can't see Gillis moving the 1st for a rental, but possibly for a longer term deal, say someone such as Kaberle.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
LaBarbera is a good pickup for a 7th
Bah, it was an awful trade.

How about getting a real backup goalie like Maxime Oullete (sp?) and Mika Norronen (sp?) in the same year at the cost of two higher picks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
True. But it is the 7th round so I don't think that will be of that much significance.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:28 PM
newostar

Nicely done by Gillis! Now let's all pray that Luie stays healthy/and picks up his game.

I smell a trade for Matthew Scheider coming up!!

newostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:30 PM
ubiquitous
More like Shredder

I like the theory that when you move picks, you have to make a move to replace those picks, no matter what round they are in.

It's the best way to keep the farm rolling.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Bah, it was an awful trade.

How about getting a real backup goalie like Maxime Oullete (sp?) and Mika Norronen (sp?) in the same year at the cost of two higher picks?

True. But it is the 7th round so I don't think that will be of that much significance.
Haha, try telling that to Detroit.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Haha, try telling that to Detroit.
I wasn't referring to the pick itself but the placement of the 7th round pick.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Oh, now you're just spitting in Zetterberg's face.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:48 PM
alternate

Quote:
you really think Morgan Clarke would have still been on the board if we moved back 6 spots in the 7th last year? think about it.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
you really think Morgan Clarke would have still been on the board if we moved back 6 spots in the 7th last year? think about it.
Don't say stuff like that!
I don't know what I would have done if a team took Morgan before the Nucks! When I heard that Florida took Matt Bartkowski, I started jumping up and down in slo-mo at the 7-eleven until my toupee fell off while the clerk was refilling the nacho cheese!

Morgan Clarke was ours!

KDizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
Don't say stuff like that!
I don't know what I would have done if a team took Morgan before the Nucks! When I heard that Florida took Matt Bartkowski, I started jumping up and down in slo-mo at the 7-eleven until my toupee fell off while the clerk was refilling the nacho cheese!

Morgan Clarke was ours!
So THAT'S what it was. I always wondered why he was walking around with a huge bucket of orange paint....

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:14 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
I like the theory that when you move picks, you have to make a move to replace those picks, no matter what round they are in.

It's the best way to keep the farm rolling.
I don't think it's an absolute policy, but when you have guys who aren't performing or aren't part of the franchise's plans, ANY pick you can get for them is good.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
So THAT'S what it was. I always wondered why he was walking around with a huge bucket of orange paint....
I also always wondered what that was.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote