HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Huet trade was a mistake.

Old
02-10-2009, 11:11 AM
NJDevil22
Vol For Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
huet wouldn't be saving our ***** right now. the team's lack of heart and pride is the reason we're losing. end of story.
Can't argue with that, Price's shot totals have increased give or take a couple games since his injury.

NJDevil22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
tollb2

Attachment 32047

Last edited by tollb2: 11-24-2011 at 09:25 AM.
tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
NJDevil22
Vol For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarnicky View Post
Can't leave em out to dry guys. Halak was awesome up until the team quit. He faced 24 shots by the 11:36 mark of the second period and only had let in ONE. Clemmenson faced just 27 in the WHOLE game vs NY Rangers last night. He had a shutout.
Not only that but you should have seen the shots. The Rags never really got any good shots on goal. Except for one off a face-off that hit the post. But other than that our D really stepped up, especially Colin White

NJDevil22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Oh... the Huet trade was such a mistake... imagine... We could have re-signed him for his fat $5.625M contract... as a backup just as he is to Khabibulin... Chicago fans and management are so pleased with his play... Fire Gainey, quick before Price turns this situation around otherwise it could make me look like an absolute tool!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:18 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Oh... the Huet trade was such a mistake... imagine... We could have re-signed him for his fat $5.625M contract... as a backup just as he is to Khabibulin... Chicago fans and management are so pleased with his play... Fire Gainey, quick before Price turns this situation around otherwise it could make me look like an absolute tool!

And imagine what they could've done had they signed a Halak-esque goalie for 1-2 million a season and used the other 4 on a d-man or something lmao.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Weird. I remember this goalie winning games for Montreal before the ASG. Forgot what his name was... oh... oh yeah that's right, it was Halak!
That is because we were scoring 6 goals a game. Halak was still consistently giving up 4-5 goals a game.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

That exactly what we need, a Price with zero playoff experience.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:11 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I won't deny it is going to take overpayment for sure but if it gets us a cup or a better team I'm willing to do it. Clearly the team needs some changes and I trust Gainey and Carb to figure out what those changes need to be.

You are right that overpayment is necessary but at the same time look how well San Jose is doing even though they didn't even keep Rivet. Overpayment doesn't always make your team go bust, often times it actually helps you to move guys who are taking up roster spots that you don't need. I know that SJ would likely have kept Gorges had they known he'd be this good, but I'm just saying, they aren't exactly a bad team for having overpayed for something.

I don't feel that if Pittsburgh hadn't made the Hossa trade they'd have been a better team this year really or better enough to be a contender. Sometimes teams do make dumb trades too. I know were usually on the dumber side of those trades but it can happen. You never know and also sometimes trades that look like overpayment at the time of trade turn out to be severe underpayment many years down the line.
Fair enough. They wouldn't have kept Gorges by the way - he had bottomed out in San Jose and I suspect he was more of a throw-in than anything else.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
1 - he is not a backup to Khabibulin, they have alternated every game almost this season

2 - Chicago fans and media are very pleased with his play.

I have no idea where you're getting these facts from, but it's not true.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
1 - he is not a backup to Khabibulin, they have alternated every game almost this season

Oh really? My bad as I was under the impression that they had signed Huet because they weren't happy with Khabibulin and were hoping that Huet would be the starter. I was also mistakenly thinking that had Huet outplayed Khabibulin, he'd be playing more than him, and I mean like a true number one would, if you catch my drift. But you're right, they must be so please with Huet that they just give Khabi the playing time just to be fair, just like we gave Price the playing time last year for the same reason...

Old
02-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
There is no way in Hell Huet would have signed for 5.6 in Montreal. When the guy's faith was shaken and he had no attachements to anybody, he tried the open market. He would have probably stayed for far less in Montreal, maybe 4.5 max. And he wouldn't have been our back-up. Especialy if you look take into consideration Bob pulling the trigger on the Hossa trade, we get Heidberg for back-up, while Price keep perfecting his craft for a few years in Hamilton.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:49 AM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

Woah look, it's...it's him...

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Go Habs Go

Who cares about Huet? Seriously, Price is one of the most coveted young goalies in the league if not THE most coveted. His value alone could get us a better goalie then Huet in return. It would've been senseless to sign him at his current salary and certainly he wanted a long term contract which he got. We got something in return for him and its not like adding Huet would've propelled us from second round embarassing exit to Stanley Cup Champions. I prefer Price. I'm not going to label him a bust after a measly slump.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:18 AM
Bloodflowers

Blah blah blah. Huet this and Huet that. Sure the guy did well for us but who are you people that build him up as this seasond vetran who can calm the room and help the goalies like he's some massive presence they all admire and look up to. Get over it. My God. last night had nothing to do with Halak. The team bailed on him. The Habs were outshot 13-3 in the first at one point, 20-3 in the second and what? 41-26 overall. yeah We need Huet. That's the difference right there. What a joke. how lazy can you be to bring up Huet and say that's the reason we're slumping. hahahahaha. Goofs.

Bloodflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:21 AM
Bloodflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post

Hahahaha! Price in fact has just as many playoff games as Huet does yet Price has actually won a playoff series. Huet is not the vetran or experienced goalie some of you think he is. Where the hell do some of you get that idea from?

Bloodflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:05 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Yes. It was a huge mistake. I so much rather watch every point shot go in.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
A Huet with one round of playoff experience?

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
toronto had 41 shots on goal

calgary had 41 shots on goal

detroit allows 18-22 shots on goal a game

ITS NOT THE GOALIES!

When you have a good goalie, the opposition shoots less. They realize it's futile and simply stop firing away.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
When you have a good goalie, the opposition shoots less. They realize it's futile and simply stop firing away.
It's actually the other way around. Against good goalies, you have to throw as many pucks on net as possible so that at the very least, the law of average can be on your side.

Old
02-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Somebody needs to explain to me how as far as this year is concerned, the Huet trade was a mistake? Last year, maybe, when Price proved he wasn't ready, surely but what the heck is the relation for this year? Was Huet interested in coming back? How much money would you have given him? What did he prove this year?

A vet goalie? Sure. Huet? No way.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 06:56 PM
habsrock60

The same Huet who lost to the Flyers in the first round?

habsrock60 is offline   Reply With Quote