HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Flash or Fehr?

Old
02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
CronoX

vCash: 500
Flash or Fehr?

Just wondering, but who will be the Caps' RW of the future? Will it be Tomas Fleischmann, Eric Fehr, or neither? I've seen part of their recent success to building from within, so I kind of expect them to continue that philosophy with either of these two youngsters. I haven't had the opportunity to watch many Caps games this year (my stupid VS. coverage is pretty random), but how have either player developed this season? I don't know much beyond statistics, so I thought I'd ask for opinions of people who might have some insight to the question.

CronoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Foy

Both

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:22 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Both
Yes.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
sikosmurf

Both are important and both serve different roles.

Related note: where's flash been lately? He isn't making the big moves like he had been for a while..

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikosmurf View Post
Both are important and both serve different roles.

Related note: where's flash been lately? He isn't making the big moves like he had been for a while..
He set up the Fehr goal against Florida, and has been stellar enough in his own end that he got 3rd star against Detroit without a single point.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:45 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Fehr this year looks like Flash last year, which would bode very well for Fehr next year. Flash doesn't play RW, Semin does (for now at least) so there's no reason they can't both be kept. The only pressure from below will be guys like Bourque, Osala, Bouchard, Kugryshev, etc.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:48 AM
The Viking Fury

Both. 3 scoring lines baby!

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

RW? Last I checked, most teams carry four of them.

At least until the Caps decide what will be the future course with Semin, both of Fehr and Fleischmann will continue to be developed and get significant ice time. For the moment, Ovechkin, Semin, Fehr and Fleischmann are the core top sixish homegrown players.

AO is a firm LW, Fehr a firm RW, while Fleischmann and Semin will play either wing.

Kozlov is around, but at a decent wage, and for how much longer? One more year at most, I suspect. Clark is signed to term, but has had injury woes. Laich is a legitimate competitor, also signed to term, but seems more of a third liner this season.

Semin is still a flight risk, either via trade, RFA offer sheet, or the KHL (if the Russian league salary structure hasn't imploded by the time his current contract expires).

Only once the Caps reach an accord with Semin, at a fair wage, will any choice between Fleischmann and Fehr have to be made, I think. Until they know Semin is locked up, having both kids is insurance against losing Semin.

The possible wrinkle is also the development pace of wingers in the system, notably Osala, Bouchard, Bourque at this stage.

Fehr is currently hot on the scoresheet, but he is just starting to blossom this year. Fleischmann is having the better all-around season, a more mature player, and looks to be gaining his comfort level. Fleischmann is dependable on a game by game basis.

Last edited by Drake1588: 02-10-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:00 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Doesn't Flash play on the LW?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:01 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Flash isn't going anywhere. He is signed and he is a perfect fit on the 2nd line RW. I think McPhee and Boudreau would love it if Fehr can grow into Kozlov's role on the 1st line RW, as a strong, savvy role player supporting Ovie and Backstrom. In that case, neither guy would be going anywhere anytime soon.

But I could also see the team looking to move Fehr for a draft pick in the offseason to unclog the roster and free up $750k of cap room. It's hard to know what the organizational sentiment is on the kid.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:06 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Pothier

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:22 AM
txpd

Fleischmann is a LW that is much better when allowed to play there. Semin can play either with equal success. Fehr is a RW.

As long as the Caps have $15m + tied up in two LW's(Ovechkin and Semin) the RW jobs are going to fluxuate because they will be required to be the lowest paid positions on the Caps roster.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Fleischmann is a LW that is much better when allowed to play there. Semin can play either with equal success. Fehr is a RW.

As long as the Caps have $15m + tied up in two LW's(Ovechkin and Semin) the RW jobs are going to fluxuate because they will be required to be the lowest paid positions on the Caps roster.
Semin is a RW. He hasn't played LW in 2 years. I think it's time to say he's a Right Winger.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Semin is a RW. He hasn't played LW in 2 years. I think it's time to say he's a Right Winger.
He still considers himself a LW, and he's still much more effective shooting from the left side. He just plays as a RW because he's more effective switched than most others would be. He's not a natural RW, and that's a valid point to bring up despite the way he's being played.

Old
02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
He still considers himself a LW, and he's still much more effective shooting from the left side. He just plays as a RW because he's more effective switched than most others would be. He's not a natural RW, and that's a valid point to bring up despite the way he's being played.
I don't care what he's more comfortable or better at. He's a RW. Bruce and Hanlon last year used him at RW. That's his position, whether he likes it or not.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:10 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I don't care what he's more comfortable or better at. He's a RW. Bruce and Hanlon last year used him at RW. That's his position, whether he likes it or not.

You tell em!!

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:48 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Not for the purposes of judging our ideal depth chart he's not. Obviously his is a compromise we'll likely deal with as long as Flash is also on the team, but he's only playing RW because we have no RW depth.

This is a largely academic argument, of course. Semin's generally more effective LW so that's where he counts for the depth chart. He's used as a RW so that's where he counts for the games. Whatever.

Old
02-10-2009, 06:11 PM
EroCaps

Both, but I won't be surprised if one is traded in a package for a defenseman.

The Caps have a few guys who are about ready to challenge for a roster spot in a year or two. (Osala, Bouchard, Gus)

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Jasper17

Considering Bruce loves Flash, I would imagine if one of these guys has to go its going to be Fehr. However I don't expect either of them to go. With Flash signed for a very cheap contract next season and Fehr seemingly being a natural replacement for Kozlov.

The Caps have enough in their system to make moves without giving either of these guys up.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:07 AM
C-A-P-S

I think the coaching staff and front office like both of them and I would be surprised to see either be moved in a trade.

I think Flash is going to get an extension after the 09-10 season. Probably similar to Laich's deal this year. (3yrs at 2 mill per)

Fehr I could see getting dealt if it was for a stud like a Pronger, but I tend to think they are still going to give him a another year. He has made some progress this season and appears to be gaining more confidence ala Flash's progress last season. With Flash's emergence this year a consistent offensive talent, I think they org. is banking Fehr will take a similar step next season.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
I think Flash is going to get an extension after the 09-10 season. Probably similar to Laich's deal this year. (3yrs at 2 mill per)
A lot of that depends on Flash. What kind of numbers will he put up next year, and will he be willing to take a little less to stay with the team? He's not going to be a priority over Backstrom and Semin...

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:57 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
I doubt it. Flash = Erat. If he stays healthy next year, he's gonna get paid.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote