HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Veteran backup for Price?

Old
02-11-2009, 08:45 AM
hashmi842*

vCash: 500
Veteran backup for Price?

Alright guys,

CURTIS JOSEPH, 42 YRS OLD, BACK UP IN TO, 700K, UFA, PROVEN NHL VETERAN GOALIE.
ASKING PRICE: PEANUTS

we use halak as our second, but CUJO is 42 yrs old, have him around the team, as a third goalie, and for instance like calgarys game, hed be backup to let price go in pressbox and think about it....hed be around the team...rollie is a great coach, but hes not a veteran successful nhl goalie like CUJO.

CUJO would be a great fit, hes played in EDM, and TO under pressure and led the team to the conference finals and he could be a good mentor to Price because of his NHL accomplishments, unlike rollie melanson. We can keep both Halak, Price and have a third veteran goalie like CUJO dress up for a few games etc.

Last edited by hashmi842*: 02-11-2009 at 09:20 AM.
hashmi842* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:48 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamboli View Post
Alright guys,

I printed out the whole list of potential UFAs from nhlnumbers.com, and three veteran goalies who could be very good backup for our baby Price: Curtis Joseph (available now for late pick) Dwayne Roloson (available), and Ty Conklin. CUJO would be a great fit, hes played in EDM, and TO under pressure and led the team to the conference finals and he could be a good mentor to Price because of his NHL accomplishments, unlike rollie melanson. We can keep both Halak, Price and have a third veteran goalie like CUJO dress up for a few games etc.
I got a feeling the Wings are going to be keeping that guy, seeing as he became their number 1 this year. Just saying.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Maxpac

Manny legace was on waivers this week, he, imo, would be the perfect backup

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:53 AM
phil

is it a backup goalie we're looking for or a personal coach for Price? If we get a veteran backup it's because we traded Halak and some and we get a pakcage including a vet... we can't just go and use Halak as a 3rd or 2½ it would be unfair to him

phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:01 AM
hashmi842*

we use halak as our second, but CUJO is 42 yrs old, have him around the team, as a third goalie, and for instance like calgarys game, hed be backup to let price go in pressbox and think about it....hed be around the team...rollie is a great coach, but hes not a veteran successful nhl goalie like CUJO.

Old
02-11-2009, 09:05 AM
gusfring

Legace would have been perfect. He makes 2.5 million and is a FA after this year. With almost 2/3 of the season gone, the cap hit would not have been substantial.

Of course, Bob passes.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:06 AM
gillyguzzler

Cujo has been horrible whenever he's played this year. I hear Denis is playing well in Hamilton but, really, Halak was good last game and should step up now to prove he's an NHL goalie.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:07 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Legace would have been perfect. He makes 2.5 million and is a FA after this year. With almost 2/3 of the season gone, the cap hit would not have been substantial.

Of course, Bob passes.
+ 1 but rumours are Legace might end up in Detroit.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:09 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:

Of course, Bob passes.
His cap hit would've been 2.5m as it is not pro-rated.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Of course, Bob passes.
Agree. I've asked for a vet goalie for 1 year now. And especially after hearing that the Oilers wanted to get rid of their 3-headed monster where Garon was still in their plans before playing awful. Roloson would have been the greatest fit. Roloson would have been the Hayward and the Hackett that we once needed....but then seems that we don't need those guys anymore...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:10 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
His cap hit would've been 2.5m as it is not pro-rated.
Why is it not pro-rated?

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Super_Striker

I think you are spot on and what he needs is a big brother figure that will help him on his mental game more than competing with him for a spot. Of course he should be good enough to fill in if needed but Carey needs someone to look to for advice!

Super_Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:12 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
Why is it not pro-rated?
As per CBA cap hits are not pro-rated, yet salaries (obviously) are.

Old
02-11-2009, 09:16 AM
gusfring

Quote:
As per CBA cap hits are not pro-rated, yet salaries (obviously) are.

See here: http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#trades
Are you sure about that? I've read differently.

Old
02-11-2009, 09:19 AM
hashmi842*

Horrible!! 2.5 Million When Gaineys Trying To Make Deals, What Has Legace Done In This League, You Cant Even Compare Him To Cujo, Whos Making 700k And Hes A Proven Winner Who Could Be A Perfect Fit To End His Career.

Old
02-11-2009, 09:19 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I've read differently.
Hmm, that's what I've been explained by some people on this board.

I'm trying to look it up myself once and for all, as I always thought it was indeed prorated, until a week ago or so when I was explained otherwise.

P.S. Looking at cap hit of Mats Sundin for the Canucks, it does look like cap hit is indeed prorated.

EDIT: Cap hit is prorated: http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#calc_cap. Sorry about my confusion.

Old
02-11-2009, 09:22 AM
gusfring

Quote:

I'm trying to look it up myself once and for all, as I always thought it was indeed prorated, until a week ago or so when I was explained otherwise.

P.S. Looking at cap hit of Mats Sundin for the Canucks, it does look like cap hit is indeed prorated.
It may be different for waivers (or in this case as it stands now recall waivers for Legace).

from nhlcap:

If a player subject to recall waivers is assigned to the minors by Team A and claimed on recall by Team B, then both A and B split the salary and cap hit; if B then waives the player for assignment but Team C claims the player, then both A and C split the salary and cap hit. If B successfully waives the player and assigns him to the minors [A and B split his salary, but he carries no cap hit unless he's subject to the "35 and older" clause] and then B recalls the player and he's claimed by Team C, then B and C will split the salary and cap hit and A has no further obligation.

I cannot find anything (yet) on if the cap is pro-rated for the acquiring team.

Old
02-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Dripper

Quote:

It is pro-rated. What's not pro-rated is if you trade a player, his cap hit remains the same, ie, it's not recalculated according to the salary of the remaining years on the contract. For example, Gorges' current cap hit is 1.1M. But he is paid 1M this year, 1M next year and 1.3M in two years. If we trade him in summer '10, his cap hit will remain 1.1M even if there's only 1 year remaining on his contract at a 1.3M salary.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:24 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
It is pro-rated. What's not pro-rated is if you trade a player, his cap hit remains the same, ie, it's not recalculated according to the salary of the remaining years on the contract. For example, Gorges' current cap hit is 1.1M. But he is paid 1M this year, 1M next year and 1.3M in two years. If we trade him in summer '10, his cap hit will remain 1.1M even if there's only 1 year remaining on his contract at a 1.3M salary.
Yeah, I think I got it now. Thanks for the explanation.

Quote:
I cannot find anything (yet) on if the cap is pro-rated for the acquiring team.
If you look at "CALCULATING THE TEAM CAP COUNT" section there, it sounds like it is prorated. I don't see why it would be different when a player is traded and/or picked up off of waivers.

Old
02-11-2009, 09:50 AM
gusfring

Ok. So then we can assume Bob does not believe that a veteran backup is needed.

I think Legace would be good as a "sounding board" for Price and a guy that has been through wars that Carey can talk to in tough situations, who isn't a coach.

I don't see that in Halak.