HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Gainey the problem?

Old
02-11-2009, 12:10 AM
cprice31

vCash: 500
I beg to differ. Fans dont want to question the moves made by management or the fact that this team is stagnating is short-sighted, and implies homerism.

This thread has plenty of merit to it. While Bob has improved the team, he still has not adressed the fundamentals flaws that this team has been plagued with since 1993;

-Size / Aggresiveness
-Size at centre position
-Top end scoring

I still contend that Bob is over-rated

cprice31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:26 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice31 View Post
I beg to differ. Fans dont want to question the moves made by management or the fact that this team is stagnating is short-sighted, and implies homerism.

This thread has plenty of merit to it. While Bob has improved the team, he still has not adressed the fundamentals flaws that this team has been plagued with since 1993;

-Size / Aggresiveness
-Size at centre position
-Top end scoring

I still contend that Bob is over-rated
In the possible ufa's he had last year , he did pretty well IMO .

-targeted sundin , gained the rights ...

-traded grabo to get a 2nd , to get Lang.

- got tanguay vs a 1rst

- signed laraque.

he couldn't get anyone to sign here, so he traded for upcoming UFAs, which is good imo.

labeled himself as a buyer , and he's looking to improve the team , he knows his stuff. its hard to shape a team within a couple of years , the players that are already there my not be the players you want (rivet , ribeiro , theo , dagenais etc... ) to go forward with ... once the core guys he wanted could flourish komi , markov ... he tried to improve the team with some trades (kovy , gorges + maxpac , etc... )

when you want to get quality ufa's , you need to be a contender , or close to be one. finally , we arrived at that point . I think from now on it can only get better.

Of course he made questionnable decisions ; waiting to sign ufas , some trades , some signings (samsonov is a good example ) , but all in all he did a good job in my opinion, the team has undeniably moved forward ... the expectations for the 100th are high and I thinks that's a reason why we won't be satisfied until we have a perfect season.

btw , our record this season is exactly the same as last year , so no worries.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:35 AM
guapo23

Quote:
and slowly Hab fans are realizing that we literally have the most incompetent management since 1993..............
Yeah, Gainey has been so much worse than Houle & Tremblay.

Quote:
Bob Gainey has been GM since 2003. When he entered - in 2003 - these were the Habs main criticsm's:

-Small / Soft
-Lack of size at center
-Lack of true offensive potential

Although he's built quite a pipeline of solid prospects (yet nobody with any kind of high-end potential)....OUR ISSUES REMAIN THE SAME.

-We are still small and soft.
-We still dont have any size down the middle, and the only hope we have is in the name of Kyle Chipchura (Ben Maxwell aint a big kid).
-We still lack high-end offensive potential.

So what has changed since 2003? Why have other teams remained competitive, and even re-invented themselves in a shorter period of time (boston/anaheim/philly/nyj/detroit/san jose).

At some point, Bob needs to be held responsible..he's most likely the most over-rated GM in the league.
Gainey took a very mediocre team & brought it back to life.
He negotiated the team into the new NHL salary cap world very effectively.
It is unreasonable to expect him to be able to work miracles.

I do agree that we still lack size, grit & elite centermen but he has accomplished a ton of other things.

We won 1st in the east last year !
We had the best PP two years in a row.
We made the playoffs 4/5 times.
We are not stuck with crazy contracts.
Quality free agents want to sign here now.
He has restored the fanchise's respect.

I give Gainey a solid B+ for his work since taking over.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-12-2009 at 01:48 AM.
guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:08 AM
DaHabMan

oh no the ******* sky is falling!!! this nonsense about gainey is just pathetic. He isnt the best gm out there but he is has been far better than most. He hasnt been perfect but no gm is. He has brought back class and dignity to our team, and back from the dead from the houle/corey era, while restocking the pipeline with many prospects that other teams can only dream of. All this without the benefit of having a top 10 pick (other than price). He transformed us from a team struggling to make the playoffs to a team that will consistently make them. Sure were not a cup contender yet but the foundation is there for the future. Sure its taking time but i believe he is the man to lead us to the cup. It took him what, 8 or 9 years in dallas, but he still got them their cup. We may not agree with some of his tactics (his policy of not signing players during the season which pisses me off btw) but the guy knows what hes doing because hes already won that way. You dont build cup winners within a couple of years, it takes time. If he were to listen to all the fairweather fans in here, all of our players would have been traded twice by now. Building a team is damn process and he cant foresee every little detail. How is he suppose to know that some players were going to struggle after having a great year last year? No one can. If you think you can than why arent a gm or a scout? The problem is far from being bob bob bob and is more the players and the coach. Of course if carbo is using the same systrem as last year, which worked, than the blame should squarely be put on the players.

My 0.02$.

DaHabMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 07:12 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Boston is a good example of what BG is conteneding with. Boston has TThomas, Chara, Savard, Wheeler as free agents. SJ Sharks had Thorton handed to them. If BG had some gifts like these he would be considered a god.
Quote:
Bob Gainey has been GM since 2003. When he entered - in 2003 - these were the Habs main criticsm's:

-Small / Soft
-Lack of size at center
-Lack of true offensive potential

Although he's built quite a pipeline of solid prospects (yet nobody with any kind of high-end potential)....OUR ISSUES REMAIN THE SAME.

-We are still small and soft.
-We still dont have any size down the middle, and the only hope we have is in the name of Kyle Chipchura (Ben Maxwell aint a big kid).
-We still lack high-end offensive potential.

So what has changed since 2003? Why have other teams remained competitive, and even re-invented themselves in a shorter period of time (boston/anaheim/philly/nyj/detroit/san jose).

At some point, Bob needs to be held responsible..he's most likely the most over-rated GM in the league.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:15 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The only mistake Gainey made was his coach selection.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:27 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4KOMI View Post
yes--- montreal needs to make the playoffs and pass the 2nd round, only than can you say this team is working towards the cup.
this is gainey's objectives not mine.
remember his 5 year plan
Yes, I do understand the plan. With every plan there has to be changes when a plan is stretched over a five year period. I think the plan is working for the regular season success, but not the playoff success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well it is normal that while some people now are blind 'cause of how unsuccesful we are right now, some other people were blind by how succesful we were last year? Of course threads are more negative in losing cause.....I mean anybody here had great things to say while we were ridiculized against Calgary?

Just normal. Still, as much as I don't want to believe that we're as bad as it looks this year, I personnally don't believe we were as good as we were last year. Injuries play a heck of a role and we didn't have any last year while other teams in our conference keep having some.....and on top of that...we did only finish with 10 points ahead of the 8th place....

So, of course, critics weren't so vocal last year 'cause clearly we looked like a team who was just following the plan....but now....it is possible that we were blinded by some things and going insecure a little....Again, pretty normal if you ask me.....So is Gainey THE problem? Of course not....but he's part of the team and he actually needs to take some responsability right now like everyone does.
I agree with you WS. It's very easy to get hyped when the team is playing very well and to get negative when the team struggles. I think some fans just need to try and keep an even keel and not get too excited when we play well and not overreact when we struggle. I just find it amusing when we have a thread like this one. No one knows what BG has been trying to do. After the trade deadline is finished, then we can make a more educated guess on what BG was doing or at least tried to do. No need to blow up the team and fire the GM at this point.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:30 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Agree.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
anyone know when Brian Burke's contract ends in Anaheim?

He would be a great fit for us.
LOL. No wonder you think BG did a bad job. You can't even get your facts straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
2003 we were still using guys like Traverse and Kilger. Zednik was arguably our best winger. You can't see the difference? I certainly do. Remember last year when we were first in the conference? Its basically the same team this year + Lang, Tanguay and Laraque. So because this year the team is losing, its Gainey's fault? Because the team is losing now, they're just as garbage as the team we had during the rebuild? Who's responsible for last year then? Just because the team is bad now, you're going to conveniently forget the fact that its basically the same team as last year?

Actually its because of fans like you that cause the Habs the type of problems that they have today. Unreasonable, illogical expectations. The media loves guys like you and when they bash the team mercilessly, create ******** expectations for young players like Price and apply crazy pressure on the team, its to satisfy fans like YOU. Who then come to places like HFBoards and spread this type of thinking to other Hab fans.

Exactly. I would totally do without those kinda fans.

People seem to forget that before the last 10 games, we were 14-2-1 in 17 games. Not only that, this is the worst sequence over the last 130 regular season games. But no, everything has to be perfect all the time or else they aren"t worth what they had shown over the other 120 games out of 130.

Yep, ONE bad sequence and suddenly we aren't worth ****. In November, I said I wasn't worried because I knew this team would find a way to be more consistent and win more games. They did for about two months. And I'll say it again, the Habs will find a way to win a lot more games and finish at least in the top 4 in the East.

Anybody thinking that the last ten games is the true Habs are totally in attention-deficit mode.

Even listening to the pundits last night. MA Godin said some stupid stuff on LaZone last night. He said the Habs were due for a fallout anytime and that people saw it coming. Oh please, most people see it coming every year because the media is always so negative towards the Habs. Even last year, big time A-hole Martin Leclerc said the same thing at about the same time, yet the Habs didn't fallout. MA Godin also said the Habs didn't do any blowout wins that were convincing. ****, they scored 5+ goals 12 games out of 50+, whereas in 82 games last season, they did it 15 times. They've also won one game out of 3 by a margin of 2 goals or more, which is close to last year's total.

MA Godin said the Habs were lucky when they won. So how do we expect the least intelligent of the Habs fans to react when they hear **** like this? They repeat it jsut like parrots. Doesn't anyone see that this is bias, a negative one, as much as when a Habs fan says the other team was lucky when the Habs lose and say the Habs were great when they win??? How is that good journalism? When they win, they are lucky, but when they lose they are bad, so actually, they are bad ALL the time?!?!? And MA Godin is one of the bunch you would least expect that from. There's this culture of negative bias towards the Habs that is spreaded by the media and has been this way for some time now. The only time it wasn't like this, is in the tiny window where the Habs were one of the two most dominant teams at the end of last season before the playoffs. If the Habs aren't on top, its negative bias all the way and many fans who don't have a mind of their own, eat their words religiously. It's becoming pathetic.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:08 AM
gusfring

People talk about "gifts" - would getting a top 5 pick (and subsequently Carey Price) in the lottery a gift?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
People talk about "gifts" - would getting a top 5 pick (and subsequently Carey Price) in the lottery a gift?
remember critical thinking? You are still not doing that.

- Yes it was, but also realize that Price is only 21-22 years old in a position where msot players come to their prime between ages of 25 -28 (example: Lundqvist)

- It was the only one

- the other gifts the poster enumrated were all either more numerous, or closer to their prime, or of higher value compared to a a young goaltender that has a lot to learn.

Will you still be here if the Habs win their next five games? We all know you'll still be here tomorow even if the Habs win, and I can predict what you will be saying... "its only one win, they still have a lot of problems, they'll continue to lose, yaddi yaddi yadda..."

Old
02-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Actually its because of fans like you that cause the Habs the type of problems that they have today. Unreasonable, illogical expectations. The media loves guys like you and when they bash the team mercilessly, create ******** expectations for young players like Price and apply crazy pressure on the team, its to satisfy fans like YOU. Who then come to places like HFBoards and spread this type of thinking to other Hab fans.
Agree that some people are exaggerating....still I would put you in the same category as them....Fans caused that type of problems that we have today? 'Cause of our unreasonable expectations? What are you talking about? The expectations to finally reach the 3rd round in 15 years? And how the expectations could be so illogical 'cause from our own words, we have the same team and even improved it.....shouldn't we end up being better? It's illogical to think that? It's the fans that said that Price would be the next Roy? Sorry just thought it was the medias who did their own freakin research and then tried to sell it to the fans....

I just don't buy that fans that exaggerates as far as panicking goes are any better than cheerleaders who always believe that everything will be fine....We're not the Detroit Red Wings when even after losing 5 in a row, fans had to think that everything was fine and it was just a slump. We're not them, as if we can't panic, well we have to at least worry. And again, it's just in prevision to building a great work ethic with the idea of going further in the playoffs.

So to say that the fans are responsible for what's happening right now is just as over the top than people wanting to sell the team after 5 bad games...Fans are actually the ones that permit Gillett to go to the salary cap so we'd get a better team. What fans are responsible for is how they're booing after 1 minute in a PP that didn't do anything. This does not help the players relax and play better and still they keep doing it. That it's their responsability. But the whole series of losses and the bad play.....come on...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Agree that some people are exaggerating....still I would put you in the same category as them....Fans caused that type of problems that we have today? 'Cause of our unreasonable expectations? What are you talking about? The expectations to finally reach the 3rd round in 15 years? And how the expectations could be so illogical 'cause from our own words, we have the same team and even improved it.....shouldn't we end up being better? It's illogical to think that? It's the fans that said that Price would be the next Roy? Sorry just thought it was the medias who did their own freakin research and then tried to sell it to the fans....

I just don't buy that fans that exaggerates as far as panicking goes are any better than cheerleaders who always believe that everything will be fine....We're not the Detroit Red Wings when even after losing 5 in a row, fans had to think that everything was fine and it was just a slump. We're not them, as if we can't panic, well we have to at least worry. And again, it's just in prevision to building a great work ethic with the idea of going further in the playoffs.

So to say that the fans are responsible for what's happening right now is just as over the top than people wanting to sell the team after 5 bad games...Fans are actually the ones that permit Gillett to go to the salary cap so we'd get a better team. What fans are responsible for is how they're booing after 1 minute in a PP that didn't do anything. This does not help the players relax and play better and still they keep doing it. That it's their responsability. But the whole series of losses and the bad play.....come on...

Think of it this way, people here wouldn't complain of the Sharks, even though they chocked in the playoffs year after year, while still getting a better team, but if the Sharks were truly the Habs, most fans and the media would complain A LOT. Yet everybody's so in love right now with Boston and San Jose. Grass is always greener. That's the mentality that's the problem.

Yes we can have expectations, but to think that the people running the team are incompetent because they don't reach one round higher is not helping things. A five year plan, where the 4th season we were 1st in the conference was a step forward, yes we got eliminated in the 2nd round. What is happening right now is only a fork in the road. Gainey's five year plan was to make the team competitive, competititve enough to go to the playoffs each season and battle for the greatest honor. He never said he'd go to the 3rd round or win the cup by the 5th year of the plan. He said the team would be competitive. It is. There's a difference between having normal expectations and wanting everything to be perfect and falling into place neatly by magic. It takes work. And many of the common fans don't understand that. The five year plan will continue. It will have to do with keeping the team competitive, filling holes the best they can with the means they have, keep restocking the prospects, keep developping them, keep integrating them. And along the way, the team will become more dominant.

Its not about year 1 = making playoffs, year 2 = making playoffs, year 3 = making second round, year 4 = making 3rd round, year 5 = making finals... That's not how it works. Progression is not always systematic, is not always automatic. They have to tweak their tools, change some of them, fit them better.

I knew from day one that some fans wouldn't have the patience to endure what BG was building, because most of them just want instant success and have no idea what it takes to get there. It takes patience and hard work.

Also, the part about cheerleading and worrying is overstated. It doesn't make a difference in the world as an impact on the team. The cheerleading doesn't have much effect, whereas the media feeds itself off the panic attacks, off the alarmists. That's the problem. As an institution, the Habs will always have fans that will do either, and there is no way that in a hockey market like Montreal, that the Habs would lull themselves in a state of constant bad teams like Detroit did for over 20 years. That's why they don't have an impact. The only ones who truly have an impact on the team are the medias and they do feed on the negativity, because it sells, much more than positivity. That is why the panic-manics are a problem, way more than cheerleaders.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 02-11-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old
02-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Think of it this way, people here wouldn't complain of the Sharks, even though they chocked in the playoffs year after year, while still getting a better team, but if the Sharks were truly the Habs, most fans and the media would complain A LOT. Yet everybody's so in love right now with Boston and San Jose. Grass is always greener. That's the mentality that's the problem.

Yes we can have expectations, but to think that the people running the team are incompetent because they don't reach one round higher is not helping things. A five year plan, where the 4th season we were 1st in the conference was a step forward, yes we got eliminated in the 2nd round. What is happening right now is only a fork in the road. Gainey's five year plan was to make the team competitive, competititve enough to go to the playoffs each season and battle for the greatest honor. He never said he'd go to the 3rd round or win the cup by the 5th year of the plan. He said the team would be competitive. It is. There's a difference between having normal expectations and wanting everything to be perfect and falling into place neatly by magic. It takes work. And many of the common fans don't understand that. The five year plan will continue. It will have to do with keeping the team competitive, filling holes the best they can with the means they have, keep restocking the prospects, keep developping them, keep integrating them. And along the way, the team will become more dominant.

Its not about year 1 = making playoffs, year 2 = making playoffs, year 3 = making second round, year 4 = making 3rd round, year 5 = making finals... That's not how it works. Progression is not always systematic, is not always automatic. They have to tweak their tools, change some of them, fit them better.

I knew from day one that some fans wouldn't have the patience to endure what BG was building, because most of them just want instant success and have no idea what it takes to get there. It takes patience and hard work.
Excellent post...you just killed it there my man!

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:02 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
I somewhat disagree. Carbo is a good coach, but he still has a lot to learn to be a good one. Vigneault, Therrien and Julien all started in Montreal and now they know how to win games in this league because they have more experience.

I remember Lindy Ruff when he first came in as a coach in Buffalo, at first they didnt give him much time to last at this level but Buffalo stuck with him and it paid off bigtime. Carbo is a very intelligent guy but right now, he's too stubborn. The way i look at the way he coaches, he thinks he has the right system in place and that he cannot do more and that the players need to execute. Carbo needs to give an identity to his team and hes not there yet.

Like Ruff, with time, he'll be more open and be one of the best coach in the league.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Habs

Quote:
Oh right, I'm talking to you, so I shouldn't expect that you'd use logic or facts.
/

Whoa there little fella, don't get all emotional over a message board and a difference of opinion.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:07 AM
gusfring

Quote:
remember critical thinking? You are still not doing that.

- Yes it was, but also realize that Price is only 21-22 years old in a position where msot players come to their prime between ages of 25 -28 (example: Lundqvist)

- It was the only one

- the other gifts the poster enumrated were all either more numerous, or closer to their prime, or of higher value compared to a a young goaltender that has a lot to learn.

Will you still be here if the Habs win their next five games? We all know you'll still be here tomorow even if the Habs win, and I can predict what you will be saying... "its only one win, they still have a lot of problems, they'll continue to lose, yaddi yaddi yadda..."
Hello McFly!!! I didn't say Price was a bad pick, I was just pointing out that it was a "gift" and lucky that the Habs got the 5th overall selection in that draft. That's all.

Gainey is also in a good position cap wise in that he can basically spend to the cap if he wants, which is not the case everywhere.

Stop stalking me, dude. It's getting tired and kind of creepy.

Quote:

Good post.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-12-2009 at 01:56 AM.
gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:11 AM
3TB3*

he's failed the last 2 years at the trade line to strengthen the team down the stretch. in effect he did absolutely nothing when the team was a threat and could have gone farther. you only get those chances once or twice and he blew it each time by his inaction. once missing the playoffs on the last day then getting outclssed by the flyers a team habs had beaten 6 times in a row going into that series.

and in todays game - it is all defense, and him having been a defensive player, he let guys like robidas, beauchemin, rivet leave and brings in nothing but brisebois and bouillions. look at how much better san jose is this year after adding boyle and blake.

gainey twiddles his thumbs and says "we like to play exciting hockey".big deal! the only hockey he should be concerned in is winning hockey. it sure is boring to me watching 6 goals shot past the habs goalies.

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post

Stop stalking me, dude. It's getting tired and kind of creepy.
You get used to his stalking, its cute after a while.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Great post Ozy. Hit the nail on the head.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:

Great post. Still, with the upcoming UFA's coming your way real soon, this plan of his could be screwed. Depends who we want to keep, depends who want to stay, depends who want to come, how prospects develop etc....And I find it hard in this cap world to really have a "plan". If the plan is just to be competitive and stop going after the Johan Witehall of this world, well it's great. But I guess that what creates expectations is when people start to believe in a 5-year plan when they are actually waiting in this final year of the plan to be a true contender.

Again, I would prefer that they stopped talking about the number of years in a plan 'cause that's not how it should work like you just said. Like I don't believe that you have to win 'cause it's the Centennial. But while we did improve, I just personnally believe that we're far from being a contender in the playoffs. But I might be wrong, and will gladly eat whatever crow you want me to eat if we are great come playoff time. I just believe it will be more difficult than some people think it will be. And 'cause of the reason I gave as far as the UFA's are concerned, it is impossible to know how next year will look like.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:13 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
/

Whoa there little fella, don't get all emotional over a message board and a difference of opinion.

Wow that gif is getting old and annoying ! don't tell me you do it on purpose ?

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Fido22

Quote:
You used to be such a big supporter.

Bipolar fans!

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
You used to be such a big supporter.

Bipolar fans!

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:20 AM
3TB3*

Originally Posted by Ozymandias

--

patience? those players are getting older. he sure showed patience with hainsey a draft pick. plekanc is getting worse. brings back old hackers brisebois and bouillion- patience for what?

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote