HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

12th Obsequious Banter Thread: [title pending]

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2009, 10:29 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Oh I know, I'm just being a smart ass.
Go double or nothing tomorrow night with your vCash.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:31 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Gary Dornhoeffer wore #12 as well. I believe he was the 1st Flyer to wear it.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Go double or nothing tomorrow night with your vCash.
Hahaha.

On the Sens?

Old
02-11-2009, 10:33 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Hahaha.

On the Sens?
A little home cookin' is right for the soul.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:34 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Gary Dornhoeffer wore #12 as well. I believe he was the 1st Flyer to wear it.
Coach Berube wore it, too.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Opus

Quote:
A little home cookin' is right for the soul.
And I love cooking!

Aspiring chef you could say...

You lay all your vCash down, and I will double it.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:36 AM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
See Post 42.
How much can their games be upped?

I'd personally be totally floored if Powe ever broke 25 points in the NHL and Upshall ever broke 45-50.

Put Giroux with those 2 (Upshall-Powe-Giroux) and you have a 3rd line that will be solid defensively and can chip in offensively.

Instead, we have the trainwreck of a putting a player who's not a natural center and has never played center at the professional level on our 1st line.

Serious, which combo would you rather see.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Upshall-Powe-Giroux

OR

Gagne-Giroux-Knuble
Powe-Richards-Upshall

In the 1st case, you have a line that will score some (Knuble should not be there at ES) and another line that will chip in.

In the 2nd case, you have 2 lines that aren't going to score very much.

People keep forgetting that Richie is not an elite ES offensive player. Note that I'm making a difference here between an elite ES player (which he is) and an elite ES offensive player (which he isn't).

Last year, he was 58th in the NHL in ES points. This year, playing on our supposed top line, he's 87th in the NHL in ES points.

Admittedly, part of this is because he's been saddled with Knuble on the top line (I've been against this since Day 1, even when they were hot), but part of it is just that he's not an elite ES offensive player.

Therefore, thinking that he will go to a line with Powe and Upshall and immediately start contributing offense is a bit naive in my book.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Being a captain doesn't mean you have to necessarily play first line. It's about Leadership, and knowing your roll (The Rock says?). Richards being a captain knows how to sacrifice for the good of the team.
It's a slap in the face to your most important forward. He lost his spot to a rookie RW who has played what, 10 games? Makes no sense.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:38 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Oh I know, I'm just being a smart ass.

Somewhere, you have to draw the line though. Putting Briere on the 4th line, you could say will produce more offense too. When does it stop?

If Girioux is playing so well, put him on the 3rd line as a center. While he's played well, I don't feel this is a good move.
When did I say this? I'm assuming Briere is still injured.

I also think putting Giroux with 2 veterans vs. 2 young guns will help develop him faster.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:40 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
And I love cooking!

Aspiring chef you could say...

You lay all your vCash down, and I will double it.
All in tomorrow night? OK. I'm doing it.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:

I also think putting Giroux with 2 veterans vs. 2 young guns will help develop him faster.
We're trying to make the playoffs, not develop rookies at positions they aren't supposed to be playing.

Richards is our highest scoring forward over the last two years. What's the key to making the playoffs? Richards on the top line or giving Giroux experience with veterans? He should go right back to where he was before the illness. It's a no-brainer.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Get Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
It's a slap in the face to your most important forward. He lost his spot to a rookie RW who has played what, 10 games? Makes no sense.
I highly doubt Richards takes this as a slap in the face.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:42 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Im down to go all in as well.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Opus

Quote:

You didn't. I'm using both your and Stevens analogy. Like I said, you have to draw a line and look at things in a more practical light.

Why not keep Sbisa up and put him with Timonen if we could get him to develop faster? Please.

Tomorrow nights three centers (In alphabetical order)...

Player GP G A PTS
Carter 52 34 24 58
Giroux 13 1 4 5
Richards 49 18 32 50

You tell me who should be the 3rd line center...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Im down to go all in as well.
Woot!!!

Quote:
I'll put down 5500.

Last edited by Opus: 02-11-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
How much can their games be upped?

I'd personally be totally floored if Powe ever broke 25 points in the NHL and Upshall ever broke 45-50.

Put Giroux with those 2 (Upshall-Powe-Giroux) and you have a 3rd line that will be solid defensively and can chip in offensively.

Instead, we have the trainwreck of a putting a player who's not a natural center and has never played center at the professional level on our 1st line.

Serious, which combo would you rather see.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Upshall-Powe-Giroux

OR

Gagne-Giroux-Knuble
Powe-Richards-Upshall

In the 1st case, you have a line that will score some (Knuble should not be there at ES) and another line that will chip in.

In the 2nd case, you have 2 lines that aren't going to score very much.

People keep forgetting that Richie is not an elite ES offensive player. Note that I'm making a difference here between an elite ES player (which he is) and an elite ES offensive player (which he isn't).

Last year, he was 58th in the NHL in ES points. This year, playing on our supposed top line, he's 87th in the NHL in ES points.

Admittedly, part of this is because he's been saddled with Knuble on the top line (I've been against this since Day 1, even when they were hot), but part of it is just that he's not an elite ES offensive player.

Therefore, thinking that he will go to a line with Powe and Upshall and immediately start contributing offense is a bit naive in my book.
Richards has the ability to generate plenty on his own. Upshall and Powe bring the energy to pound into the corners and set up the play when they play dump and chase. The line should work fairly well.

I still don't understand why everyone's freaking out. Stevens said he wants to try it, which is what I'm all for. Eventually the Giroux's gonna lose it (he's young, after all, and hasn't developed yet) and it's going to go back to Richards on the first line. It's amazing how you agree with Stevens and the entire board wants your head on a platter and writes essays as to why you're wrong. For now, take advantage of a hot Giroux.

Did everyone also forget that the next 2 games are against 2 of the 3 worst teams in the NHL(and at home for that matter)? If there's a time to experiment with things like this, that time is now, which is why I think Stevens is making the right call.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:45 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well we ARE winning. Im actually not a fan at the moment of Giroux with Gags. It just seems that Gags isnt used to the passing that Giroux can do.

Id rather have a line of Gags-Richards-Giroux

Old
02-11-2009, 10:46 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Richards has the ability to generate plenty on his own. Upshall and Powe bring the energy to pound into the corners and set up the play when they play dump and chase. The line should work fairly well.

I still don't understand why everyone's freaking out. Stevens said he wants to try it, which is what I'm all for. Eventually the Giroux's gonna lose it (he's young, after all, and hasn't developed yet) and it's going to go back to Richards on the first line. It's amazing how you agree with Stevens and the entire board wants your head on a platter and writes essays as to why you're wrong. For now, take advantage of a hot Giroux.

Did everyone also forget that the next 2 games are against 2 of the 3 worst teams in the NHL? If there's a time to experiment with things like this, that time is now, which is why I think Stevens is making the right call.
It's called wasting an asset.

Richards' greatest strength is getting the best out of other players. Look at the various transformations that Lupul, Hartnell, and Gagne have experienced when they play with him.

Now, would I rather Richards generate the best of Simon Gagne or the best of Darroll Powe?

I don't see why that's hard to understand.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:47 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
We're trying to make the playoffs, not develop rookies at positions they aren't supposed to be playing.

Richards is our highest scoring forward over the last two years. What's the key to making the playoffs? Richards on the top line or giving Giroux experience with veterans? He should go right back to where he was before the illness. It's a no-brainer.
At the rate of injuries that the Flyers have gotten this season, Giroux could very well be playing in the playoffs for the Flyers. So really, developing the rookies IS preparing for the playoffs.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:49 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
It's called wasting an asset.

Richards' greatest strength is getting the best out of other players. Look at the various transformations that Lupul, Hartnell, and Gagne have experienced when they play with him.

Now, would I rather Richards generate the best of Simon Gagne or the best of Darroll Powe?

I don't see why that's hard to understand.
You just proved my point.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
At the rate of injuries that the Flyers have gotten this season, Giroux could very well be playing in the playoffs for the Flyers. So really, developing the rookies IS preparing for the playoffs.
Except Giroux will be playing wing in the playoffs. I want him on the team, but taking Richards spot on the top line is a bit of a leap.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:51 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
You just proved my point.
Great, so now Darroll Powe might get 15 points.

Awesome!

So what if Gagne stops scoring right!?!?!

If we can get Darroll Powe 15 points, that's an opportunity we have to take, right!?!?!

Old
02-11-2009, 10:55 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well we ARE winning. Im actually not a fan at the moment of Giroux with Gags. It just seems that Gags isnt used to the passing that Giroux can do.

Id rather have a line of Gags-Richards-Giroux
This, and give Knuble his 1st line power play minutes and everything will be alright. If they want Richards to get his legs, then play him third line for the first period or something and then see how the game is going to whether or not they bump to the first line.

Old
02-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Opus

Quote:
Taking Richards minutes and production away, is something we need like a hole in the head. Were in a playoff race.

What's more important, getting Powe to score once in a blue moon...or getting Richards back where he was and can be?

Like I said before, this is nothing against Giroux, but at the present time...he couldn't fill 1/8 of Richards jock when it comes to leading this team.

Old
02-11-2009, 11:02 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Holy overreactions, Batman!

Richards lost nearly 10 pounds when he battled the flu. There's absolutely no way he's 100%, but he's apparently healthy enough to dress. Putting him on the third line limits his even strength minutes, while he gets his legs back, but allows the Flyers to use him on the powerplay and penalty kill.

It's not like Stevens is going to leave him with Upshall and Powe for the rest of the season.

Old
02-11-2009, 11:11 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Giroux will develop plenty without PLAYING FIRST LINE CENTER.

Giroux getting top 9 minutes with Upshall and Powe, or even playing top line with Richards and Gags is great. Giroux centering the top line between Knuble and Gags is a joke.

I see no reason why Giroux and Knuble should both be on a line with Gagne. It puts a lot of pressure on both Giroux and Gagne.

Closed Thread