HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Niedermayer and Pronger

Old
02-11-2009, 02:59 AM
Randall Graves*

vCash: 500
Niedermayer and Pronger

Since it's a distinct possibility both can be moved I want to see what their value could be.

Me personally, I don't see the ducks winning anything this year, if Niedermayer won't commit to next year I think he should definitely be moved if the price is right.

Pronger I think it's gonna take an overpay given the fact he's under contract next year, so the ducks can keep him and rebuild the d around him in the summer and either sign him to an extension or move him next year.

So far from reading the boards i've seen the following teams may be interested in one or the other..

Boston
Montreal
Washington
Vancouver
Philadelphia

and a few teams who I could see being interested...Blue Jackets, Blackhawks, Stars, and Flames

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:10 AM
God
Free Citizen

Nieds will get no less than a 1st and a prospect, Pronger will get a young roster player, prospect, and a 1st with maybe more picks.

That is, if the Ducks want to rebuild. I don't think it's that bad there.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:14 AM
Andrew B

The question is tho, do they trade Niedermayer?

He kinda came to Anaheim to play with his brother in front of his parents. I'd think he'd rather ride quietly into the sunset then be part of TSN's 12h Tradecenter coverage.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 03:16 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
The question is tho, do they trade Niedermayer?

He kinda came to Anaheim to play with his brother in front of his parents. I'd think he'd rather ride quietly into the sunset then be part of TSN's 12h Tradecenter coverage.
Well if he commits to next year I don't see him being traded but there are strong indications he may just retire, I think the ducks need to look at this as a pure business move. They can't get all sentimental or worry about hurting his feelings or whatever, and based on the previous few years, teams WILL overpay to get two way puck movers at the deadline because some teams have mandates to make the playoffs and need to go far for financial purposes

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:05 AM
Talentless Practise*

Kevin Bieksa
Alex Edler
Mason Raymond
Cody Hodgson
Cory Schneider
1st

For

both

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:57 AM
marine017

I would say keep one or the other most likely pronger and build around him and go from there

marine017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
Kevin Bieksa
Alex Edler
Mason Raymond
Cody Hodgson
Cory Schneider
1st

For

both
Uh no. The Canucks don't have the organizational depth to make such a move. You're trading basically the Canucks only two defenders under 30 who are legit top 4 blueliners, a decent young forward, the Canucks' two top prospects and a 1st for what likely amounts to a rental blueliner and a guy who may stick around for only one more year. Sure it would make the Cancuks' legit cup contenders but if they fall on their face they would fall hard and would be in an even worse situation than the Ducks are now. Horrible idea.

I can see the Canucks having interest in one or the other, most likely Niedermayer, but I doubt Gillis would be all too willing to pay the asking price to land him. The Canucks need to build up some prospect depth before they start making deals such as this. My guess is that they will make some more minor moves at the deadline and will most likely retain their 1st, Schneider, Hodgson and Grabner in the process.

Assets that could be available are more likely to be Mason Raymond, Shane O'Brien, possibly Jannik Hansen and prospects such as Patrick White and Taylor Ellington.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Alzner + for Pronger.

paine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
Kevin Bieksa
Alex Edler
Mason Raymond
Cody Hodgson
Cory Schneider
1st

For

both
I think you're on crack. No way VAN moves that for those guys.

While I think that both Pronger & Niedermeyer have very significant value - it's not anywhere close to what you've included above.

Pronger only has 1.2 years left on his contract compared to 3 when he was traded last time, and he isn't quite as dominant as he was. Both of those things would reduce his trade value. I think that he's still worth a bunch - but it isn't close to what ANA gave up for him 2 years ago.

Niedermeyer is great - but he's a UFA rental. I can't ever remember a blue-chip prospect (Hodgson) or significant roster player (Edler, Bieksa) being included for a UFA rental.

Just my $.02.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Alzner + for Pronger.
I'd rather see the Caps lose in the first/second round, personally.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Given that Neidermayer's entire reason for signing with Anaheim was wanting to move west, and given that he has shown limited interest in a playing hockey much longer, I'd be willing to bet that he'd retire before acccepting a trade east.

And, of course, Pronger has made it pretty clear that he'll force trades is the NHL city in question does not meet the needs of his family. So, moving him might not be as easy as it sounds, despite the reality that he is a generational talent.

Most of the other teams listed above are so close to the cap, that the only workable solution would be for the Ducks to take on a lot of expensive vets in exchange.

I'll predict, that Neidermayer retires a Duck, whereas Pronger at least plays out his contract there. After that, who knows?

02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Given that Neidermayer's entire reason for signing with Anaheim was wanting to move west, and given that he has shown limited interest in a playing hockey much longer, I'd be willing to bet that he'd retire before acccepting a trade east.

And, of course, Pronger has made it pretty clear that he'll force trades is the NHL city in question does not meet the needs of his family. So, moving him might not be as easy as it sounds, despite the reality that he is a generational talent.

Most of the other teams listed above are so close to the cap, that the only workable solution would be for the Ducks to take on a lot of expensive vets in exchange.

I'll predict, that Neidermayer retires a Duck, whereas Pronger at least plays out his contract there. After that, who knows?
Pronger is a franchise defenseman, but he's definitely not a generational talent.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Pronger is a franchise defenseman, but he's definitely not a generational talent.

I'll disagree. I started following hockey back in 1972 (first year of the Isles!) and got to watch some of the all time greats at their best: Potvin, Salming, Big Bird, Park, Borque, etc. I'd put Pronger up with any of those guys, as far as dominating in his own end. He was maybe a notch or two below the best offensively, but Pronger in his prime would be a Norris contender at virtually any point in recent NHL history - and that makes him a generational talent in my book.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:54 AM
8BostonRocker24

For Niedermayer:
1. Joe Colborne or Zach Hamill
2. 1st in 2009

For Pronger:
1. Mark Stuart or Matt Lashoff
2. Joe Colborne or Zach Hamill
3. 1st in 2009

Boston might need to add, but this is the starting point. IMO, current roster players outside or Mark Stuart & Petteri Nokelainen won't be traded. Boston is looking to add talent without subtracting from the current roster.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:55 AM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

Stuart, Lashoff and our 1st rounder for Pronger

bolt thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:57 AM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I'd rather see the Caps lose in the first/second round, personally.
There was a rumor that said the Caps would have to part with Alzner if they wanted Pronger.

Old
02-11-2009, 11:00 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
There was a rumor that said the Caps would have to part with Alzner if they wanted Pronger.
That might be what the Ducks initially ask for (if they start to talk), but you always ask high. GMGM doesn't overpay in trades, and Alzner isn't getting moved. If that's a "no negotiations" thing then the Caps aren't getting Pronger, simple as that.

All that said, what kind of prospects are the Ducks even looking for? Don't they need forward depth (in the prospect pool) as well?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Ol Dirty Bstrd

Devils offer 1st and Bergfors/Corrente depending which position your prospect pool is weak at for Niedermayer.

Ol Dirty Bstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Ajackalit

Bieksa + Raymond + 1st

for

Pronger and Moen

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
For Niedermayer:
1. Joe Colborne or Zach Hamill
2. 1st in 2009

For Pronger:
1. Mark Stuart or Matt Lashoff
2. Joe Colborne or Zach Hamill
3. 1st in 2009

Boston might need to add, but this is the starting point. IMO, current roster players outside or Mark Stuart & Petteri Nokelainen won't be traded. Boston is looking to add talent without subtracting from the current roster.
Both are good offers IMO. Might have to kick in a little more on the Pronger side - but maybe not depending where CP is willing to go.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
That might be what the Ducks initially ask for (if they start to talk), but you always ask high. GMGM doesn't overpay in trades, and Alzner isn't getting moved. If that's a "no negotiations" thing then the Caps aren't getting Pronger, simple as that.

All that said, what kind of prospects are the Ducks even looking for? Don't they need forward depth (in the prospect pool) as well?
You may not be willing to move Alzner for Pronger but your GM might.

Old
02-11-2009, 12:14 PM
HTFN

Quote:
You may not be willing to move Alzner for Pronger but your GM might.
No, he's not. Alzner is a fixture in Washington until we decide not to re-sign him. You've got a chance of us letting go Carlson, depending on how we get Pronger back, but Alzner stays.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:34 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post

I could see Neidermayer accepting a trade to NJ to be part of one last Cup run. Devils would gladly trade the prospect and #1 pick that it takes to get him.

I think Pronger fits the needs of the Devils better, but the only roster players with any value they could trade would be David Clarkson and Andy Greene, and I'm not sure a combination of Clarkson, Greene, prospects, and picks would be enough to get Pronger.

Either way, the Devil's #1 need is a dman who can play the point on the powerplay, and both Neids and Pronger fit the bill.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:36 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa Cam Janssen View Post
Devils offer 1st and Bergfors/Corrente depending which position your prospect pool is weak at for Niedermayer.
I don't know if i'd be willing to part with Corrente for 1 season of Niedermayer. (Unless Lou thinks he has a good chance to re-sign Nieds even to one more year - then I would do it). Eckford, I would part with. I would, however, add Corrente to a package for 2 seasons of Pronger.

Any chance of the Ducks trading both Niedermayers to the same team? It would give Scott an incentive to re-sign for the last remaining year on Rob's contract, and increase the value of the package.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 02-11-2009 at 12:43 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:51 PM
10 ft. pole

Ducks would need defensive depth back the only team I can think of that has this luxury is not an option.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote