HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Jagr close to signing with Oilers (with source)

Old
02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
In other words, in his words actually, he was holding something back for the playoffs. If you can't handle an 82 game season, then yes, Russia is for you Jagr. Enjoy the tax free salary, buh bye. Imagine what we could've done with home ice if he didn't have to "save something" for the stretch and the playoffs.

I'm sorry that I'm not going to miss him just because we are struggling right now. We'd be struggling right now with him. He'd probably be on the same pace Naslund is pointwise. Naslund's on pace to score more goals than he did in his final season here.

And this is flawed thinking that Naslund is a direct replacement for Jagr. Just like when people think Voros was intended to replace Avery. Since when do teams ALWAYS look to replace one player directly with one other player? Rarely.

I should go be a fan of another team because I don't appreciate players that turn it on and off when they feel like it? Forget that. I can't recall greats like Gretzky, Lemeuix, Howe(the guy played til he was gray haired), Yzerman, Messier, etc etc etc dogging it or not playing well early because their bodies were wearing down. The guy is a professional athlete. This is his job. I have no sympathy. Start training harder, sharpen up your diet. Or accept that you're not the player you once were and take a pay cut and go on a year to year basis with your contract like most players in his situation.
Did you watch any games from 2000-2004?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Sure there is a problem with that, but that doesn't mean there isn't a huge advantage to it. Being a beat writer for a sports team is such a more involved job now that the blog format is as popular as it is.

It certainly isn't flawless, but it brings more to the reader, so much more, than a single article in the paper does.
It's not that I don't agree, but for all the good blogs have done for us, there's a whole lot more cases of stories that are LITERALLY fabricated by the "journalist", just as this one was.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It's not that I don't agree, but for all the good blogs have done for us, there's a whole lot more cases of stories that are LITERALLY fabricated by the "journalist", just as this one was.
I didn't read the entire thread, but where was this proven exactly, that the story was fabricated.

He said it was a rumor. And his track record is not that of an Eklund.

Old
02-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I didn't read the entire thread, but where was this proven exactly, that the story was fabricated.

He said it was a rumor. And his track record is not that of an Eklund.
read the post directly above the one of mine that you first quoted.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:52 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
read the post directly above the one of mine that you first quoted.
Interesting.

We'll see, I suppose. I have a feeling there will be one final NHL hurrah for Jags. I could see it being in EDM, but I have a feeling other teams will be interested this summer.

Old
02-11-2009, 12:08 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Yeah, cause look how it worked out with Shanny, who went all-out the first three months of the season and was a waste of hockey skates by the time February rolled around.

If you think Jagr's the first vet not to give 100% through every single game of an 82 game schedule, you're being ridiculously naive. The only difference is that Jagr admitted it.
and now Shanny sat out half a year and signed for about hte league minimum to play on a 4th line with PP and PK time. Good example, really helps your point.

The point is Jagr wasn't just any vet, he's a future HOFer. He still wanted to be the highest paid player on the team when it was the last thing we needed when we already have such huge contracts. That doesn't mean it wasn't horrible that we went and spent the money we did on Redden but Jagr for 7-8 mil for 2 years wouldn't have been that great either. We're getting the same production from Naslund that we would've gotten from Jagr IMO.

There were two routes he could have taken, accept that you're not the player you once were and accept a reduced roll for the entire season for a small paycut, work your contract year to year since you are over 35. (Joe Sakic, makes less than Ryan Smyth, signed a 1 year deal, 6 million). Come back halfway through the year (Forsberg, Shanahan, Sundin), don't expect to wear a letter, and be fresh down the stretch. Also taking a bit of a paycut and signing a 1 year deal.

It doesn't matter whether or not there was an offer on the table, he wasn't going to sign what Sather was going to offer, which was a 1 year deal.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:11 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHockeyFan View Post
And then to top it all off, we dumped a 35 year old Jagr, and went after a 37 year old Sundin.

Go figure!
Mats Sundin had 32 goals in 74 games in 07-08, with the leafs, and had 5 more points total. He probably would've been a lot more compatible with Gomez and/or Drury than Jagr ever was. Which was also a huge problem with bringing Jagr back...

Old
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
...right... because we're so much better of with our current $7M/year 20-25 goal captain... right...
Being that it shouldn't be Drury's job to score more than 20-25 goals, that's an irrelevant point, and what's wrong with this team goes far beyond his captaincy.

Old
02-11-2009, 12:52 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
If that's the case, we have a tramsfer agreement in place with OMSK, can't we send them Redden for Jagr?
I wasn't 100% sure of it, I thought there were some teams trying to get rid of contracts by sending players to the EU leagues. But if that's the case with another team picking up the contract, then yes....but again not 100% sure.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:26 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Mats Sundin had 32 goals in 74 games in 07-08, with the leafs, and had 5 more points total. He probably would've been a lot more compatible with Gomez and/or Drury than Jagr ever was. Which was also a huge problem with bringing Jagr back...
a lot of people are not compatible with Gomez and Drury, including everyone else who is on the roster right now...

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:25 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
a lot of people are not compatible with Gomez and Drury, including everyone else who is on the roster right now...
wrong, the lines this year have been plenty compatible. The only problem is the wingers we have on this roster are 2nd liners at best. Zherdev and Naslund are really the only ones I think have any business being anywhere near the top 6 of a line-up right now, and Naslund could be on a lot of 3rd lines on many teams.

It's one thing to not score, it's another thing to not even be creating chances(Jagr with both Gomez and Drury at center)

Old
02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Being that it shouldn't be Drury's job to score more than 20-25 goals, that's an irrelevant point, and what's wrong with this team goes far beyond his captaincy.
It shouldn't. But it is. Them's the rules in a salary cap league. You might not like judging players by their salaries, but that means little when that is exactly how they HAVE to be judged in a salary cap league.

Quote:
wrong, the lines this year have been plenty compatible. The only problem is the wingers we have on this roster are 2nd liners at best. Zherdev and Naslund are really the only ones I think have any business being anywhere near the top 6 of a line-up right now, and Naslund could be on a lot of 3rd lines on many teams.

It's one thing to not score, it's another thing to not even be creating chances(Jagr with both Gomez and Drury at center)
The problem is the wingers AND the centers we have on this roster are 2nd liners at best. Scott Gomez and Chris Drury are not #1 centers.

Drury could be on a lot of 3rd lines on many teams, and so could Gomez.

What chances do we create? Just because we shoot a lot doesn't mean we create good chances. Scott Gomez leads our team in shots on goal. You know, the guy with 8 goals and one of the worst shooting percentages in the league. We don't create quality scoring chances.

Old
02-11-2009, 02:57 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
and now Shanny sat out half a year and signed for about hte league minimum to play on a 4th line with PP and PK time. Good example, really helps your point.
The Devils, Blues and Flyers, among others, were pursuing him from the beginning of the season. He CHOSE to not sign because he only wanted to play for the Rangers.

Old
02-11-2009, 11:39 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykedout66 View Post
never gonna happen....im waiting for someone to bring up the whole jagr hemsky connection
They both hail from the Czech Republic so Jagr will be an Oiler.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:07 AM
pavvento

Let's face it, even when he wasn't playing his best last year, when he touched the puck I always felt like he was going to make something happen.

There are very few guys on this team that inspire that this year. Zherdev might make a nice move or two, and Naslund will rip one if he's set up, but how many of them give you the confidence that they will beat a defender and the goalie on any given possession?

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:17 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
The Devils, Blues and Flyers, among others, were pursuing him from the beginning of the season. He CHOSE to not sign because he only wanted to play for the Rangers.
you can't sit here and tell me his body wearing down didn't factor into him not having a problem sitting out the 1st half "waiting" for the Rangers. And the only report I remember in the beginning of the year was the Blues pursueing him.

Old
02-12-2009, 10:19 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

The Oilers have a lot of young talent, why slow that down by bringing in this joker? He could help you a little bit now, but it'd be selling away the future to some extent.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
you can't sit here and tell me his body wearing down didn't factor into him not having a problem sitting out the 1st half "waiting" for the Rangers. And the only report I remember in the beginning of the year was the Blues pursueing him.
Yes, I can, because it's obvious he only wanted to play for the Rangers. That's why his agent said multiple times throughout the season that he only wanted to play for the Rangers.

He wanted to be close to his family and obviously playing for the Rangers affords players luxuries and accommodations that they don't get with other teams.

Old
02-12-2009, 10:23 AM
RangerFan10

How is playing for Jersey keep him away from his family anymore than playing for the Rangers would? Good argument.

Old
02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
The Oilers have a lot of young talent, why slow that down by bringing in this joker? He could help you a little bit now, but it'd be selling away the future to some extent.
Maybe it's because I just spent an hour and a half teaching 5th grade, but I can't wrap my mind around this argument.

How does bringing in someone, without giving anyone up sell away your future? How does bringing in a veteran who understands the game sell away the future? This guy was a HUGE role model to the young guys on our team, notably Prucha and Dubinksy.

I'm assuming you have a personal bias against Jagr and that is why you're making those comments. That's perfectly fine, but don't make a statement based on an opinion without stating that.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:06 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
the story is complete BS and the sheep fallowed without thinking about what hopes had to be jumped thorough for this to happen

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Fletch

mistawrista...

I don't know the Oilers' cap spaace, but presume it's pretty good and adding Jagr today enhances their chances at the playoffs this season in what's a tight race. He also will help the kids, not hurt the kids. In NYC, he played with anyone the coach threw at him, including Brad Isbister, who's in Switzerland now and Marcel Hossa, who he's playing against in Russia. He's an asset to a team.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote