HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Neil Out Indefinitely

Old
02-10-2009, 03:43 PM
JoeSakic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Meh, I wouldn't re-sign him for over a million, even if he wants to be here. He's a 4th liner, and we've already got some bad contracts on the team.
The soft side of me would give him $1.1 but nothing more but you're right TMV, considering some of the contracts on this team right now nothing over $1M should be acceptable (and considering that Neil's agent is looking for a significant increase in salary for Chris...well it's been fun carrot top).

JoeSakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:27 AM
hashmi842*

Neil Extension?

Why do you want to trade neil, hes a rare player in the NHL. He can fight, AND play hockey, which is a rare combination. He is a Sean avery type of player, with grey matter between his ears. Teams are lining up for him, and trading him makes no sense.

If Im murray, i give neil a 3 yr extension at 1.050 000 million like maxim talbots contrat with pens....

hashmi842* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:32 AM
The King of Town

...and Neil's agent has already said that he'll be looking for a significant raise on his current salary of $1.2M.

/thread

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Polansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Clancy View Post
...and Neil's agent has already said that he'll be looking for a significant raise on his current salary of $1.2M.

/thread
He doesn't fight..Cody Bass is does that more often that Neil, and he can't play hockey.

Polansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Huston

Quote:

/thread
That's.. retarded. Neil better not listen to his agent. What has Neil done? He had one good year, and is more invisible than Ruutu.

Huston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:46 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:

/thread
Significant to 1.5? I hope so, because that's his worth IMO.

SpezDispenser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:54 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post
Significant to 1.5? I hope so, because that's his worth IMO.
So we're going to pay another 4th liner well over a million? I certainly hope Murray is smarter than that. There's enough bad contracts on this team.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Max Power

Hockey skill only Neil is nowhere near Sean Avery

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polansky View Post
He doesn't fight..Cody Bass is does that more often that Neil, and he can't play hockey.
Errr..... what?

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Kanataboy68

We just have to make a choice. With Ruutu, Neil, Bass and (arguably, in a pinch) Carkner on the roster as guys who can play the 4th line, hit and agitate, it's clear we don't need them all. I don't like Ruutu all that much, but I am not so sure I just don't "love to hate him".

Ruutu and Neil can chip in a goal here and there. Bass, not so much (yet).

I would pay Neil 1.5M. I would swap him out with Ruutu, or give ruutu Neil's job, but I wouldn't think we need them both.

Not sure there is a winner in this one. You just have to pick one. The fans like Neil but they also seem to be latching on to Ruutu. It's a toss up.

Kanataboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:11 AM
tahi0009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polansky View Post
Alright, you lost all credibility. Neil's 13 fights to Bass's 3.

I know Bass has been injured, but to stay Neil does'nt fight your either 1)NOT A SENS FAN. 2) Your a Neil hater 3) You just dont watch Sens games...

tahi0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
So we're going to pay another 4th liner well over a million? I certainly hope Murray is smarter than that. There's enough bad contracts on this team.
Agreed. It's not like Neil is irreplaceable. The team needs to better manage its cap and stop giving up big contracts to 3rd and 4th liners.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
kyle747

Quote:
yah- I'd love to keep Neil but i'm sure some crazy GM will give him 2M a year on a four year contract or something

We just can't afford to spend our cap space on that.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Big Tuna

I like Neil a lot, but I'm very open to replacing him with some one that will bring the same game on the road as he does at home. I'm not sure who's out there, but I think our money can be better spent (assuming Neil is looking for something above 1.5).

Big Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:39 AM
JoeSakic

Why not use the two other open Chris Neil threads? No point in repeating.

Old
02-11-2009, 10:40 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Before I get started...I'd like to state that Neil is one of my favorite players...has been for quite a while and I have 2 of his jerseys where one of them is game worn.

Now...my rant about his "role".

We have too many players on this team that fit the "3rd - 4th line agitator" role on this team.

We have 1 first line and 3 3rd/4th lines...no clear 2nd line. The only player that could "sort of" fit that 2nd line role is the likes of Vermette. Fisher could...but that's a stretch of borderline epic proportions.

Now we have Neil, Bass, Ruutu, Carkner, Winchester (<--little on the soft side) that can all play that style of game.

Yes, Neil is probably one of the better ones in the league in that role because had a somewhat unique combination of toughness and hockey sense. But, he can't hold his own against the best of them in the league like Tucker a few years ago, Domi at his peak or even *shudder* Avery. They're just better "hockey" players IMHO.

You don't pay 2+ million for a player that fills this role. You just don't...it's bad money management. Heck...I don't think that a player like that unless they are one fo the best at that role are worth more than about 1.3 (Yes...I think Ruutu is overpaid, but he's one of the best shift disturbers in the NHL so his salary is debatable for me).

After this year...a contract year where players usually are alot better than they really are...Neiler has taken a step back.

So should his salary. Or the maximum that he should get is the EXACT same salary he's got now.

The cap is going down people...time for players salary to reflect that.

SensGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:07 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Bringing back Neil or Kuba would be really stupid, unless they took big pay cuts to return (which they won't). This team needs to be changed - otherwise, the Sens will continue to suck next year.

Getting assets for Neil/Kuba/McAmmond and any other players Murray doesn't want to retain is the only way to go.

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
That's a tough argument for or against IMO. I don't like BS like intangibles, but if there ever was a case for it, this would be it. NHL hits leader, scrapper, leaves everything on the ice and chips in from time to time offensively.

That to me is a 3rd liner worth 1.5 million, but then, I don't feel Chris Kelly should be making a penny over 1.5 either and people would disagree with that.

Old
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
JoeSakic

Quote:
That's a tough argument for or against IMO. I don't like BS like intangibles, but if there ever was a case for it, this would be it. NHL hits leader, scrapper, leaves everything on the ice and chips in from time to time offensively.

That to me is a 3rd liner worth 1.5 million, but then, I don't feel Chris Kelly should be making a penny over 1.5 either and people would disagree with that.
Neil isn't productive enough to be a 3rd liner...he does have heart and does play with intensity but I don't think he is a true 3rd liner.

Old
02-11-2009, 11:27 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSakic View Post
Neil isn't productive enough to be a 3rd liner...he does have heart and does play with intensity but I don't think he is a true 3rd liner.
Fair enough. I'd like to think he can be a leader and key ingredient to this club, but I can't argue with that. His production is horrendous.

Old
02-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Urkie

Quote:

It's not good cap management to pay a 4th liner 1.5 million. If he wants that kind of money then he shouldn't be resigned. At this point we need to spend money on more important issues like puck moving defensemen and secondary scoring.

Urkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkie View Post
It's not good cap management to pay a 4th liner 1.5 million. If he wants that kind of money then he shouldn't be resigned. At this point we need to spend money on more important issues like puck moving defensemen and secondary scoring.
Again, this is kind of a personal opinion thing, but how much do you want Mike Fisher fighting next year? Cody Bass is a good, gritty player, but he's been injured several times now and probably should start playing the game in the corners instead of dropping the gloves.

Sure, Jason Smith can drop as well, but IMHO we already have too few guys who will come charging in and drop 'em after a questionable hit. That mentality has to change - and I think Neil's one of the guys to teach the younger players going forward.

Plus, cap management...it's 1.5 million dollars - and increase of 400K next year and going forward. Not too bad really. Not to mention that sooner rather than later you're paying a Chris Neil 'replacement' close to a million I would imagine. Probably 800K for Bass' next contract. So the difference between keeping Neil and replacing him becomes 500K-700K. Not a lot in this NHL for a guy that can really grind opponents with hits etc.

Again...just my personal opinion.

Old
02-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Classless Goon
Ducimus

Everyone is quick to say we should trade Neil because his production has gone down? Well no ****. This team has been top 2 in scoring every year since the lockout. Well, you know, except this year, at this point we are an abysmal 29th in the league for scoring. Do people realize how massive of a drop that is? None of the players we are relying on for offense is producing the way they should this year, we are 51 games in and neither Veermette nor Fisher has even cracked 10 goals, and people are actually dumping on Chris neil of all people for a lack of production? Neil is not a go-to guy. He is a good supporting player who will make the simple plays that work, create space for linemates, go to the crease(especially on the PP). When he does that, usually it helps his go-to teammates who produce like they should and eventually, Neil racks up the points too. He has not been doing anything differently this year. The team is simply incapable offensively. What, is Neil supposed to carry this team on his back for scroring? No. He is doing just as good of a job in front of the net but it's not his fault our supposed scorers can't get a decent shot on goal.

Letting Neil go on the basis that his offence has gone down would be terrible reasoning, because he will go to a contending team that has a potent offense and will score 20-30 points again, and we will be stuck with a worthless scum bag in Rutuu who has never cracked even 20 points in his career and who doesn't have the hitting and fighting ability of Neil, but whom we kept on the basis that he could ''replace'' Neil even though that is completely false because they do not even play the same role, and our team will be lacking what Neil brings to the ice..

If the problem is that we have too many 3-4th liners, then Rutuu is the one we should be getting rid of, not Neil. Players like Neil do not grow on trees, and we must re-sign this guy.

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Buckleys

I love Neil, but not at more than a million.

Ruutu - Bass - Winchester will probably be the 4th line next year.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 05:22 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
I love Neil, but not at more than a million.

Ruutu - Bass - Winchester will probably be the 4th line next year.
That's fine if Donovan is traded or if we get support for our 2nd and 3rd lines. Otherwise Winchester is on the 3rd line at least; he's too good to be playing on the 4th line (on this team).

source is offline   Reply With Quote