HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Biron on the Block

Old
02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Teezax

vCash: 500
How 'bout firing Lemelin?

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
Finally.

I've been a Nitty fan for years. He makes a tremendous amount of "big saves". While Biron has played well, especially in last years playoffs, Nitty is a better goalie and can steal a game. That's what is comes down to. While Biron can be solid, Nitty can steal games and get his team motivated with big saves.

I think it's time we let Nitty run with it in the playoffs. Of course, we need a good goalie for injury backup but I think Nitty would suffice. He has played extremely well in high stakes games for Finland but has never had the chance here. He's had the chance during the regular season and while he plays ok, he has some focus issues. I think with the playoffs, he would be very focussed and would do great things for this club.
This is more about Biron blowing, rather than Niitty being awesome.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Alot of these goalies on other teams play in schemes that are made for them. Goalie will never put up amazing stats here with the wide open scheme we have. I am not saying we can't have a better goalie, but teams like Minnesota run a defensive oriented system, we don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
There is a lot of overreaction going on in the media here.
Two great points here. I constantly say that giving up a ton of shots on defense, especially when other teams spend much, much more time in OUR zone than we ever will on offense, creates a firing squad for these goalies. Our defense is constantly being tired out and we're facing all kinds of shots. God himself would probably let in a goal or two. He'd erase it after the fact, but thats the kind of system we play.

To GKJ's point, I don't think this is going to happen. I am not confident with Niity as our starter in any capacity without someone who is better or potentially better backing him up. Which, in any event, makes Niity the backup. Which is where he probably should be. Plus, wouldn't the market be better for Niity over Biron, anyway? He is younger, has (arguably, in some capacities) played better than Biron, and has a better, easier to control contract.

Some people really need to think about these things before making those hilarious trade proposals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
Listen guys, I like Biron as much as the next guy, hell I even like Niity as much as the next guy but this team NEEDS a stud goalie. I have no problems moving either one of our goalies, prospects, Lupul or whatever it takes. If we can get a stud in the nets we get a cup and one hell of a good summer!
I think its been proven time and time again that average-good goalies can win the cup, and do. It's about getting hot at the right time and last season, Biron, a good goalie, got hot at the right time.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Joey Mac

He's not worth resigning at the end of the year... If they were to trade them who would be the starter or who will they try to get? Nitty isn't the long term answer

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Mac View Post
He's not worth resigning at the end of the year... If they were to trade them who would be the starter or who will they try to get? Nitty isn't the long term answer
I think he is very much worth resigning. Maybe this season will allow us to get him for cheaper.

At least you realize Niity isn't the long term answer. It's not like the guy hasn't had a chance, or many chances. He has won in the AHL and the Olympics. Last I checked, his paychecks came from the Flyers.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:20 PM
BlackTuuk

[QUOTE=IrishSniper87;17833795]They soured on Biron FAST.
/QUOTE]

Have you been watching this year? It is like people have stuck their heads in the sand and thought of last Spring's run. He hasn't been all that good this year.

Time for a song:

Don't be fooled by the pucks he doesn't stop,
he's just, he's just Biron on the block,
Used to let a few by, now he let's a lot
No matter where he goes
sayonara

Thank you, folks.

Seriously, I would miss Biron, but only because of last year, which has no bearing on this year...so...

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
Time for a song:

Don't be fooled by the pucks he doesn't stop,
he's just, he's just Biron on the block,
Used to let a few by, now he let's a lot
No matter where he goes
sayonara
I feel embarrassed for knowing what song you're referencing

Got me to laugh though.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
I feel embarrassed for knowing what song you're referencing

Got me to laugh though.
Mission accomplished. We have some uneasy days ahead of us: our team could be changed for the worse or we can improve for the better.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:56 PM
panayiotis

rag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNote View Post
The sun is a rag. They just make up stories. They do employ Strachan. The Flyers dont have a back up in the minors. Plus Biron just kills the Habs.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 06:50 AM
BigBanger

Agreed Goalies still make same mistakes as they have last two years, Reggie good guy sucks as Goalie coach

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Flyersguru

Biron has a No Trade Clause.

/end thread.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:27 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1064
A related article...

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...iittymaki.html
Quote:

The recent numbers have him headed in the right direction. He's 5-1 in his last six starts. Overall, he's 13-4-4, with a 2.48 goals-against average and .921 save percentage, far superior stats to Biron's 15-11-5, 2.96, .904.

Still, the Flyers have to decide first what they're doing with Biron, earning $3.5 million at the moment (and who could command as much as $5 million on the open market), as well as feeling secure that Niittymaki ($1.225 million) can hold up, health-wise, to a daily workload.

"There's a lot that could happen between now and then (July 1),'' GM Paul Holmgren said, perhaps hinting at the possibility of a trade of one of the two goalies. "There have been a lot of hip issues with Antero. For his own sake, I would like to see him stay healthy for the rest of the season.''

"I think he's a goalie that certainly other teams are aware of,'' Holmgren said. "He's still a young guy in terms of goalies; he's 28. The fact that he's been developed here, won a minor league championship here (with the Phantoms in '05), other teams know about him for sure.''

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:06 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Biron = 5 mill on the open market?

Not likely.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Mike Richards 18

vCash: 50
if Biron gets 5mil on the open market Backstrom gets atleast 6.5 and thats not happening. I dont think Biron could possibly get for then what hes getting now on the open Market.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 01:58 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
Id love to see the ENTIRE coaching and training staff meet the ax. Our conditioning and preparation sucks, this team plays horrendous defense (and for all the talent we have behind the blue line this really makes them look awful), and they always have, and the goalie gets blamed first. We need a defensive minded coach here. Badly. and a training staff that can keep players who make more than 5 million a year on the ice.

Iuno, just my opinion, I think there are other players this team needs to dump before Biron. *Coughjonescough*

I dont know what to make of this rumor, unless Biron is packaged in a deal for a solid D man, or Goalie.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:19 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Id love to see the ENTIRE coaching and training staff meet the ax. Our conditioning and preparation sucks, this team plays horrendous defense (and for all the talent we have behind the blue line this really makes them look awful), and they always have, and the goalie gets blamed first. We need a defensive minded coach here. Badly. and a training staff that can keep players who make more than 5 million a year on the ice.

Iuno, just my opinion, I think there are other players this team needs to dump before Biron. *Coughjonescough*

I dont know what to make of this rumor, unless Biron is packaged in a deal for a solid D man, or Goalie.
Like to see what this guy could do, working with our team right now. Just out of hypothetical curiosity.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:32 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Biron has a No Trade Clause.

/end thread.
S-H-U-T U-P!

Why the hell every time someone discuses a trade with a player with an NTC do you say that. PLAYERS WAIVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Mike Richards 18

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
S-H-U-T U-P!

Why the hell every time someone discuses a trade with a player with an NTC do you say that. PLAYERS WAIVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!
agreed this is a discussion board. yes said players can possibly have NTC or NMC but it doesnt hurt anything to discuss trades or movement.

If you were said player and a team didnt want youor cut your minutes or negative things were occuring would you really want to stay with that current team??? things can happen for a player to waive such clauses in contracts.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 04:58 PM
EasyMac

I was wondering what the demand will be this offseason for goalies (as the $5 million quote for what Biron will get seemed a bit high - though with the Huet/Theodore deals last year not that out of line I guess). A bit of research/guessing it seems these teams may be looking for a starter for next season:

Boston: both goalies are UFA, do have Rask but can't imagine him being given the starter position quite yet

Colorado: Have Budaj under contract next year, Raycroft is a UFA. But do they really think Budaj is the answer? I really don't know as I haven't followed them this year.

Detroit: Still have Osgood under contract, and likely can't afford a new starter if they want Hossa/Hudler/Franzen to re-sign.

Edmonton: Rolly is a UFA, still have Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers under contract, but doubt they will go with him as a starter.

Minny: Backstrom a UFA, still have Harding.

Ottawa: Gerber a UFA, Auld under contract. Will they go with the young Brian Elliot?

Philly: Biron and Nitty are UFA's.

UFA's who will be available: Backstrom, Thomas, Fernandez, Biron, Niittymaki, Raycroft, Roloson.

There isn't many proven NHL goalies out there with up to 7 (likely 6 as I don't think Detroit will b in play) teams looking for a starter. I see Backstrom re-signing in Minnesota and Thomas in Boston.

I doubt there will be much (if any) interest in Roloson or Raycroft as a starter.

So that does just leave Fernandez/Biron/Niittymaki as UFA options out there, so perhaps Biron could net a decent contract. (Obviously there is the option of teams trading for a starter to fill their goaltending need, but I don't see too many options out there for this - Leclaire, Pavelec/Lehtonen, Ramo, plus some young unproven guys)

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 06:16 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
S-H-U-T U-P!

Simply. Awesome.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:53 AM
captainpaxil

i can see where they are coming from. if nitty is gonna be the starter (its his job to lose right now but ya gotta give it a lil time) 3.5 mil is a lot of money for a backup.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

i called this one when they signed Biron. however, took a lot longer to happen then i thought! speaking of niity taking over #1 that is.

as far as trading biron, good luck! seems like everyone out there as a G in the system they will trade. i don't think they find any takers for biron. which is fine since niity has had injury issues in the past.

let biron walk for nothing. no big deal.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:10 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Im calling B.S. on this.

Nitty has proven in the past that he is not ready to shoulder the load with his concentration problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, I smell BS here.
I hope so....Seeing Biron gets my wife "in the mood" I dont want to have to pay for the Center Ice package

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
i called this one when they signed Biron. however, took a lot longer to happen then i thought! speaking of niity taking over #1 that is.

as far as trading biron, good luck! seems like everyone out there as a G in the system they will trade. i don't think they find any takers for biron. which is fine since niity has had injury issues in the past.

let biron walk for nothing. no big deal.

Wow, you must be clairvoyant or something.....Are we going to win the cup this year????

Last time Nitty was given the chance to be the man, he choked. Lets see what happens the rest of the year before we decide who is "#1"

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I hope so....Seeing Biron gets my wife "in the mood" I dont want to
Wow, you must be clairvoyant or something.....Are we going to win the cup this year????

No :p

I have always loved Niity. I hope he can take the ball and run with it.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:36 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
No :p

I have always loved Niity. I hope he can take the ball and run with it.
Hey, if you are Nitty fan of course you want to see him take the ball and run with it. If he does, so be it. I just hope one of the two does.

Either way, I wouldnt move either one. Just let one of them walk in the offseason.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote