HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Mike Green win the Norris?

View Poll Results: Will Mike Green win the Norris?
Yes 48 30.38%
No 110 69.62%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Berglund1313

vCash: 500
I voted no mostly becouse he ain't good enouge in his own end when he starts to play solid in his own end then he will be the best defender in the league but not as he play now.

Berglund1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:15 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
If Mike Green scores 100pts, how do the Caps ever get him under contract again?
Big Earl says TWO hot tubs.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:22 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
borro = epic
amen.

I'm glad i didn't embarrass myself in that old thread. WHEW!

HA HA HA HA Nice Chimaera!

Quote:
...... Maybe you're a nice guy. I know you care about sports, but realistically most of your posts and thoughts are so far out in left field that they are tiresome to even bother to respond to. You post too many things, and are generally so far out in left field you make Caps fans lose some credibility.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 03:52 AM
Golden AWe

A finalist, most likely, but not the winner.

Although, he's on his way to become a grrrate defenseman. There's been a lot less brainfarts in the defensive end from him this year.

Golden AWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:24 AM
Panopticon

Hope so, but doubt it.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:56 AM
iron lung

Hope you don't mind a Florida fan's take.

Even if he doesn't win, I'd love to see him make the short list, the top three.
I think his play deserves that kind of recognition.

iron lung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 06:09 AM
ManicJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden AWe View Post
Although, he's on his way to become a grrrate defenseman. There's been a lot less brainfarts in the defensive end from him this year.
I think there were a lot more for the first part of the year and a lot less recently. The early year ones were more the variety of him trying to do way too much and being caught up in the play. I remember posting a month or so into the year that I was a bit embarrassed about my Green jersey. Thank god that changed fast

All this talk about the Norris being a 'lifetime achievement' are a bit off, I think. It's just that, like goalies, young defesemen rarely outplay the few extremely solid vets who've had ten years to mature. I think there's little to no chance Green wins it this year.. because he has a lot of work yet to do on his defensive game, not because he's young.

ManicJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

the biggest improvement ive seen in Green this season is knowing when to pick his spots to join the ruch a lot more, or if he does take it deep himself, he controls the puck till a time in which our forwards can take over and he will slide back to the blue line.

5 on 5 earlier in the year he was rushing too much and trying to do it all himself, i think a couple of small conversations with Bruce, who he obviously respects and listens to a lot, have made all the difference.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Foy

Green's defense has gotten a LOT better, even within this season. The more I think about it, I was on his case all beginning of the season, and that has certainly tapered off.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Kegger

Quote:
borro = epic
Ahhh, the good ol' days....

Sure glad I quit writing and covering the Caps...

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:01 AM
frasnap

What was Borro's name on the OBs? He seems familiar.

frasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:50 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
I think Green's recent dzone successes have been a result of two things, simply not jumping up into the offensive zone 5 on 5 nearly as often, and his success on the PP has helped the team get leads in games so we dont need him to jump up 5 on 5.

If a defenseman that can skate never tried to score goals or bring offense, how hard is it to play D? Why is he a dman if so? Larry Murphy Gonchar etc can all play stellar D if they decided to abandon what makes them unique, their offense. So its not about him having to learn defense, he simply has learned when to pick his spots. His defense is fine.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Jasper17

No chance. To win the Norris you have to put up great numbers, but you also have to be great in your own end. Green still needs to develop that part of his game.

I certainly think he is becoming a lock to be an all-star over the next few years. However he is at least a few years away from being a serious Norris threat. And that is assuming he becomes better in his own end over time.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:00 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Paul Coffey was horrible in his end. Thats why he had lots of stints at LW. You dont have to be "great" in your own end. You only need to win the hearts of the voters.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Paul Coffey was horrible in his end. Thats why he had lots of stints at LW. You dont have to be "great" in your own end. You only need to win the hearts of the voters.
Ok, if Mike Green scores 50 goals he can win the norris.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:54 PM
bzer

Green has some talent and keeps putting up big numbers.

But I'm not convinced he has terrific defensive play. Just now in the Rangers game, he made some pretty terrible turnovers that could have cost the Caps the game.

bzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
Ok, if Mike Green scores 50 goals he can win the norris.
No way. I think if he scores 35 he wins the Norris.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 10:44 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Really? So lopsided?

Maybe i'm not watching enough Cap games cept when he plays the Rangers but the guy is so dangerous....

He is unbelievably talented in the offensive zone (with an amazingly accurate shot), he plays a physical game, and he plays solid defense (not the BEST, but nothing that really hurts the team).

You guys are so damn lucky to have Green..complete steal getting him 30th overall (I was SCREAMING at Sather to pick him...and we didnt )

Your team is going to be so fun to watch for the next 10 years..if you guys can get a top goalie then all i can say is....start the parade route because your set.

Good luck in the playoffs, you guys are going far, and you guys deserve it...always been one of the classiest fans around. Not to go too off topic, but there was a good amount of Caps fans at the Garden tonight, all of them in my area were just great guys/gals, me and my friend actually went to get a few drinks with a few after the game (which has never happened haha)...

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 04:39 AM
sikosmurf

We have a habit of expecting the worst as to never be disappointed. This thread is about nitpicking every little thing you can about Mike Green. Don't get us wrong, we looove Green, but we dont think the voters will see it the same way.

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 06:15 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
You guys are so damn lucky to have Green..complete steal getting him 30th overall (I was SCREAMING at Sather to pick him...and we didnt )
Don't get so down about it. Had the Rangers drafted him, he would have died a painful death in a defense first system. Until Boudreau became the Caps coach, he was going nowhere. Realistically, without Boudreau this very likely does not happen.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:31 AM
KenAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Don't get so down about it. Had the Rangers drafted him, he would have died a painful death in a defense first system. Until Boudreau became the Caps coach, he was going nowhere. Realistically, without Boudreau this very likely does not happen.
Makes you wonder how many other players have gone nowhere in their careers because of their coaches / systems.

Outside of a handful of teams, Mike Green doesn't get the opportunity to become the player he is right now.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:45 AM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
No chance. To win the Norris you have to put up great numbers, but you also have to be great in your own end. Green still needs to develop that part of his game.

I certainly think he is becoming a lock to be an all-star over the next few years. However he is at least a few years away from being a serious Norris threat. And that is assuming he becomes better in his own end over time.
He may not be the best 1on1/2on1 defender, but when Green is on the ice, the puck just doesn't end up in the caps net. It's not how you play defense, what matters is the end result.. the puck staying out of your net.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:13 AM
capsfn95

forget the norris, he is going to challenge ovie for the hart!!

capsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 12:11 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Green is now only +2 away from tying the +/- lead for Dmen (Wideman +29)...and +6 away from the overall lead (Wheeler +33)

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Green is now only +2 away from tying the +/- lead for Dmen (Wideman +29)...and +6 away from the overall lead (Wheeler +33)
If he finishes first not only in goals and points but also wrests away the +/- lead among defensemen, then yeah... the voting is going to be close.

I think we know what Green is going to do the rest of the way. Much will depend on the kind of home stretch that Chara has for a Boston team that will be tempted to take it easy on some nights, much like Detroit often does on its way to the playoffs.

I still think it's Chara, and that Chara will win, but it's probably fair to call the Norris race up in the air now. The record tonight is going to have a lot of people talking. When voters think defenseman excellence this season, well the record will be one of the first events to pop into the mind.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote