HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN - E.J. Hradek

Old
02-11-2009, 06:51 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademasterb View Post
Typical Hradek. bashing drafting when he's clueless. Didn't mention drafting a franchise goalie in the 8th round. Worth a lot more than Green. He brings up the Jessiman pick but fails to mention stock piling picks and drafting Dubinsky and Callahan by doing so. Completely ignores drafting Anisimov in the second round and Grachev in the 3rd round. Ignores signing Girardi as an undrafted FA. Probably has no knowledge on what kind of prospect Sauer is. Guys like Hradek just write garbage. They don't understand anything about the teams they write about.
1) Neil Smith's scout drafted Lundqvist a month after Sather got the job.

2) To this point, other than Staal, all of the prospects that Sather has drafted that have actually made it to the NHL have been role players.

Besides, why exactly does Sather get credit for drafting Russians late? It's not like scouts didn't know Anisimov or Grachev were good players. But teams are afraid to draft players that they aren't sure will play for them. The Rangers have both the financial resources available to help that process along and have the appeal of NYC to help convince Russians to come play.

It's the same reason Cherepanov was drafted 17th instead of top 5. Everyone knew he was a top prospect, but no one could afford to take the risk that he wouldn't come play.

Taking a huge risk on a first round pick, like Sather did with Jessiman, isn't a a very smart move for your franchise. But then again, most of Sather's moves aren't very smart.

3) The entire future of this team could have been different if Sather didn't screw up TWO CONSECUTIVE FIRST ROUND PICKS.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the cap scenario you painted pretty much puts the same team on the ice next season with a couple rookies and assumes the cap remains pretty much the same. The thought is the cap will decrease a bit (some of which has to do with the current situation in the economy, and some has to do with the dollar strengthening against the CAD). But let's say it stays the same - then what you're saying is this team will get no help from the outside, except for kids (not sure what kid's really ready to make the jump though).

I may be off in all my numbers as I haven't done the analysis, but the back of the envelop looks tight. The ability to waive guys may be the only option, but I don't realistically seeing that happen (and I'm not sure who has NMCs and can't be waived).
If you resigned Zherdev (6 million), Dubinsky (2 million), Callahan (2 million), and Mara (4 million) to contracts, resigned Valiquette, Dawes, Betts, Orr, Sjostrom, Korpikoski and Reitz (or replacement players) to similar deals, let Prucha Voros and Kalinan go, and add in 2-3 rookies (at least one on D, one at forward) you have a salary level in the slightly sub 59-60 million range. The cap will probably be around the 54/55 million range (I believe that was the figure last reported). Now thats carrying 22 players and being fairly generous with our free agents contracts.

If needed, there are plenty of things to do to open up 4-5 million in cap space. Trade Roszival. Waive Redden. Trade/waive Gomez. Play hardball with the RFAs and do not resign Mara.

If for some reason the cap drops more than that, you do a combination. The only player can't move (without consent) is Drury.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 07:50 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
We have a star goalie. The one drafted by Neil Smith's scout a month after Slats took over. It's the only reason we're even discussing playoffs.

I'm not sure what Blackburn has to with this, but of course I blame Sather for him. He was totally mishandled. He should not have been in the NHL at that age.

But this has nothing to do with what the point of mine that you quoted.
Not quite sure if you mean "Sather's mishandling or Blackburn has nothing to do with your original statement" or if you're unclear as to why I referred to him and Cherepanov in regards to your original statement. If it's the latter, to clarify, I mentioned both of them because they would have been much more than just "role players" which was a complaint of yours about the youth that Sather has collected.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 08:03 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
other than Staal, all of the prospects that Sather has drafted that have actually made it to the NHL have been role players.
1) Current roster players who haven't fully matured may disprove that.
2) Fedor Tyutin is considered to be one of Columbus' top D, not a role player
3) Marek Zidlicky, was a solid offensive blueline for Nashville for many years, not a role player
4) It takes years before you can take 18 year old kids and turn them into NHL players. With his first credited draft coming in 2001 it would be at least 2005/06 season before you'd see 22 year old players who are still fairly young reaching the NHL. Since 05/06 Sather has produced several young players and each year the prospect pool has become better and better, even with the terrible loss of Cherepanov.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:06 PM
fourhole

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Any other GM brought in to replace him won't be able to do anything because he would have no flexibility
Yeah? He could start by taking the draft seriously! I wonder if he is taking money under the table for some his picks??

Old
02-11-2009, 11:11 PM
fourhole

vCash:
Quote:
1) Neil Smith's scout drafted Lundqvist a month after Sather got the job.

2) To this point, other than Staal, all of the prospects that Sather has drafted that have actually made it to the NHL have been role players.

Besides, why exactly does Sather get credit for drafting Russians late? It's not like scouts didn't know Anisimov or Grachev were good players. But teams are afraid to draft players that they aren't sure will play for them. The Rangers have both the financial resources available to help that process along and have the appeal of NYC to help convince Russians to come play.
I hate to backslap people too much, but
It's the same reason Cherepanov was drafted 17th instead of top 5. Everyone knew he was a top prospect, but no one could afford to take the risk that he wouldn't come play.

Taking a huge risk on a first round pick, like Sather did with Jessiman, isn't a a very smart move for your franchise. But then again, most of Sather's moves aren't very smart.
I hate to backslap people too much, but why isn't the obvious well obvious?
3) The entire future of this team could have been different if Sather didn't screw up TWO CONSECUTIVE FIRST ROUND PICKS.
Two? He's officially gotten two right thus far!