Hypothetical Trade Question

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Hypothetical Trade Question

Requesting some intelligent feedback on a hypothetical trade proposal between my team (NYI) and your's.

Background: NYI, like most every other team, is trying to adhere to payroll restrictions, as in: not expanding budget significantly. They recently signed Aucoin for next year (arbitration ruling) and Niinimaa (3yr deal). Roman Hamrlik is unsigned beyond next year. There is speculation that NYI is trying to ink him to a longer deal right now, or may look to move him to clear some payroll space.

Hamrlik is the Isles most skilled dman, though he certainly was not their best dman last season (Jonnson and Aucoin were superior), in an off-season for him. He is in the prime of his career and has been a certified #1 in the past. He is not an elite dman, but he is very good on both ends of the ice, logs a lot of minutes and is NYI's most physical backliner. Unfortunately, he will not come inexpensively in his next contract (assume $4M per?).

Atlanta, it appears, has added significant depth (Modry, Havelid) this offseason to its backline. However, Hamrlik, respectfully, is currently superior to any Thrasher dman, a bonafide #1, while Coburn and Exelby, etc. continue to develop.

The offer:

Roman Hamrlik
for
Andy Sutton
Kip Brennan

Thrasher lose some muscle, but get the best player in the deal. And they still have adequate pop on the backline with Kloucek, Exelby, even Majesky, no? Likewise, Brennan is an intriguing physical specimen, but you have Lessard, etc. to "clean up" at the forward position.

Note: Would be willing to expand this deal to help ATL unload more $$$ by taking on Jani Hurme, assuming he is healthy (is he?), with NYI adding a mid-round (#4) pick. That assumes he is expendable (Lehtonen, Nurminen) and, as such a drag on your payroll at $1M per.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Trottier: 08-13-2004 at 05:53 PM.
Old
08-13-2004, 04:37 PM
dunwoody_joe

Well, I don't really want to see Sutton go but could part with him for Hamrlik. I would do this straight up.

If the Isles want Brennan or Herme we should talk about that separately. Herme has been hurt but apparently better--however I cannot gauge his value now.

Atl really needs a centerman badly. NYI has plenty of strength down the middle. How about tossing Mapletoft into the mix?

Here's the counter offer:

to Atl: Hamrlik and Mapletoft
to NYI: Sutton, Herme and either Lessard or Brennan.

Old
08-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Essentially, you are asking for Mapletoft for Hurme and adding it to the original proposal. If - big "if" - Hurme checked out medically, I'd consider it.

Hamrlik
Mapletoft
(approx. $4.1M in salary)

Sutton
Brennan
Hurme
(approx. $2.2M in salary)

Again, the move of Hamrlik is predicated on NYI wanting/forced to pare payroll, so they would be in a slightly compromised position with any trading partner. (Otherwise, you are clearly getting the better player in a Sutton/Hamrlik swap.

That said, I do not see Mapletoft as more than a 4th liner in this league (read: eminently replacable), possibly a third-liner, but I'm doubtful. Much like Brennan, clearly a limited upside.

I'd be in the minority among NYI fans who would consider this offer.

Old
08-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry Trotts, I didn't see you had already opened a Hamrlik to Atlanta trade thread already.

Sorry about that!

Closed Thread