HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carbonneau Bob's Best Move?

Old
02-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

vCash: 500
Carbonneau Bob's Best Move?

Bob held his press conference January 12th. Claimed his best move was signing Guy. Since, the team has 10 losses, 3 wins. The wins coming from Ottawa in SO, Nashville, and the slumping Pens. Did it have some sort of effect of the team? Is Gainey eating his words right now? It seems that the coaching staff just isn't cutting it- Markov having some words for Jarvis, Guy picking names out of a hat every game in order to form lines, our defensive play is horrendous, and they seem to have used everything under the sun to try to make it better, even bowling.

Can that conference have had anything to do with the team? Could the team maybe be reacting to it? Has the time come for our coaching staff to change? The problem is more than just the classic scapegoat Kovalev.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:25 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Bob held his press conference January 12th. Claimed his best move was signing Guy. Since, the team has 10 losses, 3 wins. The wins coming from Ottawa in SO, Nashville, and the slumping Pens. Did it have some sort of effect of the team? Is Gainey eating his words right now? It seems that the coaching staff just isn't cutting it- Markov having some words for Jarvis, Guy picking names out of a hat every game in order to form lines, our defensive play is horrendous, and they seem to have used everything under the sun to try to make it better, even bowling.

Can that conference have had anything to do with the team? Could the team maybe be reacting to it? Has the time come for our coaching staff to change? The problem is more than just the classic scapegoat Kovalev.
of course, and for some reason it looks that 1/2 of the team doesn't want to play for Carbo anymore

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

When your #4 defenceman gets put on forward and wasn't told why he was put there it tells you that the coaches and players clearly aren't on the same page.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:41 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
"Markov having words for Jarvis"

what words?? :S

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:49 AM
couz

Gainey is just as big a culprit for building this team.

I mean to have no assets to show for Souray,Streit,Ryder,Ribeiro,Huet,Theodore is bad asset management.

You guys realize those guys are all key guys on their teams.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:01 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post

I mean to have no assets to show for Souray,Streit,Ryder,Ribeiro,Huet,Theodore is bad asset management.

Souray - we needed him if we wanted to make a run. not a bad move keeping him, how was Bob to know we'd miss the playoffs by 1 point

Streit - no assets to show for Streit? so you would've traded him in the middle of a 60 point campaign then?

Ryder - how much would we really have gotten for a 15 goal UFA Michael Ryder

Ribeiro - bad return, I'll admit. but he's had his share of good returns (Balej+pick -> Kovalev [he was good once you know]. Rivet -> Gorges, Pacioretty)

Huet - We got a 2nd round pick, who knows what it will turn into right now

Theodore - We got Colorado's #1 who was actually playing well for them the last few seasons. We're lucky we got anything at all

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:04 AM
CPrice

Quote:

Really don't think those 2 are key on their teams. Huet although brought in to be the #1 is looking like the backup now. Theodore, well I haven't watched the play I heard hes playing well though. I wouldnt say hes key, but Johnson is hurt. Souray is key this year (remember last), Streit is key, Ryder somewhat Boston is stacked, and Ribeiro only has 13 goals so far this year as a first line center (he does have a bunch of assists though).

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Theodore's stats aren't that good, and he's in Washington right now. Gainey traded him in Colorado where he sucked and Budaj kept the #1 spot.

Huet doesn't play more than Khabibulin.

Ryder isn't a ''key'' guy for Boston.
Streit is playing on the worst team of the NHL. Anyone of our players would play a key part on that team.

Souray and Ribeiro are the only ones I can agree play some type of key role.

It's easy to point out the mistakes, but why not look at the positive things??..are they supposed to go unnoticed?..
What about Hamrlik?..resign Markov at around 5M.
Bringing in Lang/Tanguay/Laraque?..no way to predict they were going to get injured as much. They were still solid additions at the time of their signing/trade.
What about Gorges+MaxPac?..what about Kosto??..

Also, when we got rid of Ribs and Theo, they were playing badly and were highly criticized. Ribeiro said it himself, he would have never reached the same type of success in Mtl.
Ryder was horrendous and throwing paper planes.
Streit isn't worth 4M, Souray was horrible on D for us and isn't worth his salary either IMO.

It's easy to look back when you know how things turned out and criticized, but unfortunately nobody can see into the future.
But other than maybe Huet and Ribs, there was no opposition at the time he made those trades.

Right now the team is playing horribly. It's actually an improved team on paper from last year, when we finished 1st. The fact they're collapsing right now isn't his fault. Players are supposed to play up to their potential, and if they did we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Right now, Carbo needs to get a little coaching 101 from someone because it's pathetic and BG has to do some type of trade that will shake up things. Adding a defensive coach would be very helpful too.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:16 AM
OneSharpMarble

Bob worst move: The day Bob decided to test the old saying "don't piss into the wind"

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:12 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Honestly, I wouldn't really be upset of Carbo got abducted by aliens and we never saw him again.

HE STINKS.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:30 AM
saints96

all jokes aside i think carbo is best fit to coach midget AAA, at most!. He has no clue WTF he is doing. FIRE HIM!!!!

Last edited by saints96: 02-12-2009 at 07:36 AM.
saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:32 AM
MathMan

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/2/10...ng-the-coaches

'Sides, a coach is only ever as good as his goaltender.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:49 AM
djblue

roy please

djblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:59 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblue View Post
roy please
How about next time we get a new coach we get a professional coach with NHL experience? I don't want to recycle players into coaches just because they were good players for the Habs in the past. We had one career coach in Julien and even then he had no NHL experience.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 08:15 AM
jed

who is carbonneau bob?

jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 08:21 AM
3TB3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post

habs beat kings as well

but habs now have lost 9 of their last 11

only wins kings by a miracle and pittsburgh
8 of the losses by 2 or more goals

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:03 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Streit is playing on the worst team of the NHL. Anyone of our players would play a key part on that team.
Maybe you should open your eyes and watch some hockey then, because Streit has been unbelievable for the Ilses (just like Danis btw). He logs by far the most minutes on the team yet is in +! No one else could say that on the Islanders! Oh, and he leads the team in points too.

Sure, Mike Komisarek would have managed the same.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Belso

I think it's only fair to remember he brought a young team to first place last year and all of you are too easy to forget this.

He's not GOD. He can't make miracles.. Last year he was passed up for coach of the year and he had a great start this season..

Detroit had a bad streak last year. With the team they had, how can they go 1-8-2? I'm not comparing Montreal to Detroit, but they didn't fire Babcock because he was a bad coach because he let his powerhouse team lose so many games in a short period of time. They started winning again and won a cup.

Again, I'm not saying Carbo's the best coach in the league. He's got a few flaws but overall he's still successful. The players are the ones you should point a finger too.. You can't forget how to play hockey overnight! So what gives? Why are they all making stupid plays? I'm sure Carbo told them to clear the puck down the middle. I'm sure Carbo told them to avoid hits to make plays. I'm sure he told them to be be careless when you are the last man back. I'm sure he tells them to try fancy play when you are the last man back. Common, it's obvious that they are NOT doing what they practice.. They panic.. plain and simple. He's jut not found a way to get them to Not panic!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...unk/index.html

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:25 AM
tollb2

i just hope somthing gets done soon ..

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Souray44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I think it's only fair to remember he brought a young team to first place last year and all of you are too easy to forget this.

He's not GOD. He can't make miracles.. Last year he was passed up for coach of the year and he had a great start this season..

Detroit had a bad streak last year. With the team they had, how can they go 1-8-2? I'm not comparing Montreal to Detroit, but they didn't fire Babcock because he was a bad coach because he let his powerhouse team lose so many games in a short period of time. They started winning again and won a cup.

Again, I'm not saying Carbo's the best coach in the league. He's got a few flaws but overall he's still successful. The players are the ones you should point a finger too.. You can't forget how to play hockey overnight! So what gives? Why are they all making stupid plays? I'm sure Carbo told them to clear the puck down the middle. I'm sure Carbo told them to avoid hits to make plays. I'm sure he told them to be be careless when you are the last man back. I'm sure he tells them to try fancy play when you are the last man back. Common, it's obvious that they are NOT doing what they practice.. They panic.. plain and simple. He's jut not found a way to get them to Not panic!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...unk/index.html
This is HF Boards. I swear some people have just as much fun fake firing everyone and spewing negativity in every single thread they can get their hands on than they do watching a winning team.

I'm just as pissed as the rest of you but when you look at the players here there is a very solid group of guys. Good character guys. Teams go through horrible slumps but in no way is this the terrible years we've all seen in the fairly recent past.

They SHOULD get things together. I trust they will. I also feel Bob will finally be able to get Plan A done at the deadline this year as we've got bodies to spare with the emergence of Pacioretty and D'Agostini as solid regulars. Also with Chipchura and Stewart in the minors as very credible NHLers for the lower lines. We have the extra pieces to make a deal that we just haven't had in the past.

Bob is obviously extremely careful with all his "we'll evaluate the cost, asset, blah blah, and if its good for the team, yadda yadda." We hear that all the time and this year hopefully will be the year we pull the trigger on a big one. Let's hope the ship is turned around by then.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Souray44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollb2 View Post
i just hope somthing gets done soon ..
I got my fingers crossed with ya buddy. I've got tickets to head up for the game vs Ottawa and I want this turned around by then. I went up and got to see them thump Toronto on Jan 8th so hopefully I bring some luck with me again.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:54 AM
djblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
How about next time we get a new coach we get a professional coach with NHL experience? I don't want to recycle players into coaches just because they were good players for the Habs in the past. We had one career coach in Julien and even then he had no NHL experience.
Atleast Roy has experience and he has delt with so called supertstars like esposito and in 86 we had a sophomore coach

djblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:07 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblue View Post
Atleast Roy has experience and he has delt with so called supertstars like esposito and in 86 we had a sophomore coach
Seriously. Roy is not capable of being a pro coach right now. He can't even be a junior coach without making a mess.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:08 AM
strongbad

Quote:

I don't think it's bad asset management, but bad asset evaluation. Obviously, every one of those guys (with the exception of Theodore) has gone on to have as good, or better careers elsewhere. This is squarely on the head of Gainey. Of all the guys there, Streit could've stayed for peanuts as a PP quarter-back defenseman.

strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:37 AM
hellojp

Carbo is cool under pressure... The players have riffs with each other. Should the coach do anyhting, or CAN he do anything?

Would a trade by Bob do anyhting to change /shake up the atmosphere mend those riffs?

Also, why does P. Roy's name keep coming up??? I can see him as a Goalie coach/mentor... he would be a great asset there... but behind the bench as head coah NFW.

hellojp is offline   Reply With Quote