HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Gomel in the league?

Old
02-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Den

vCash: 500
Gomel in the league?

They want in as of next year

http://news.sport-express.ru/online/.../nl283275.html

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 07:54 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
I wouldn't count on it, but it's possible. So far they don't have roster or the arena.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Den

Well, they are about 70km from Bobruysk as far as arena, but I don't see were they can get 15 Belarus. players to fill the roster

Old
02-08-2009, 08:26 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Even Dynamo Mn is struggling to put competitive team together, another team from that country would not be a good thing, IMHO

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Peter25

Why would the KHL expand when they can't fill the current 24 teams with quality players? There should be no more expansion until

1. Russian junior program can produce more quality players than today.
2. The KHL is financially strong enough to lure all the best non-NHL players and even many NHL level players.

Peter25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Why would the KHL expand when they can't fill the current 24 teams with quality players?
Because, D Riga and Barys happen. I'd like to see Vytyaz, Khimik and Lada to drop out. KV, some Swe teams (hypothetically) - in. KV for example has much higher potential of attracting good players than, say Nefetkhimik. For obvious reasons.

Quote:
2. The KHL is financially strong enough to lure all the best non-NHL players and even many NHL level players.
Meaning now?

Old
02-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Meaning now?
Jan Marek will return Czech Republic next season. Esa Pirnes will probably also leave Russia. Swedes Mattias Weinhandl, Magnus Johansson and Tony Mårtensson will also return Sweden.

There are also lots of good players playing in Europe that would greatly strengthen the KHL. Some of these players are Radim Vrbata, Jaroslav Hlinka, Jukka Voutilainen, Johan Davidsson, Janne Niskala, Petteri Nummelin, Mikko Lehtonen, Janne Niinimaa, Tomas Kurka, Mika Pyörälä, Riku Hahl, Pasi Puistola, Martin Thornberg, Markus Seikola, Rickard Wallin, Martin Straka, Dominik Granak, Zigmund Palffy, Severyn Blindenbacher, Linus Omark, Kristian Kuusela, Toni Koivisto, Jan Hlavac, Petr Caslava, Petr Kumstat, Vaclav Skuhravy, Mikko Jokela, Mikko Luoma etc.

These are some of the best players playing in Europe and as you can see they would be very good for the KHL as well.

The KHL should raise the limit of foreigners to six players and purchase all the top talent from Europe - if it has the financial means to do that.

Old
02-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Den

Quote:
Jan Marek will return Czech Republic next season.
Where's this coming from? Why would he go there if any top 8 team in Russia would match anything that Magnitka will offer, and more.

Quote:
Esa Pirnes will probably also leave Russia. Swedes Mattias Weinhandl, Magnus Johansson and Tony Mårtensson will also return Sweden.
Does not surprise me. Language, life standards, families - intangibles, not money. These Swedes are on a loan after all.

Quote:
There are also lots of good players playing in Europe that would greatly strengthen the KHL...
Some of these players will be in the KHL next season (Davidsson, Widing, Bremberg, according to http://www.eurohockey.net/news/story...ws_third_issue) . Others have played there, and are not worth the money they would want (Hlinka). You list too many "just above average players" who would be a waist of foreign players cap if signed (Granak, Skuhravy, Kumstat). I mean if you are 30 point scorer in KVary - chances are that you will be rather average in Dynamo.

The bottom line is that financially the KHL is already sufficiently well off to buy all these players, but I don't see why we should be spending money just to buy 30-point guys from the Czech league, and I hope the GM's understand that. And many of them would not come over because of intangible (like most Swedes, Finns) for the money the KHL is ready to offer.

Old
02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Den

Quote:
Jan Marek will return Czech Republic next season
OK, I actually found his interview about this. Well, he clearly explains that it's not the money, but distances, family, etc. But I expect him to end up in a Moscow club next season, his wife moving there as well

Old
02-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Den

Quote:
The KHL should raise the limit of foreigners to six players
That's how it is gonna be next season.

Old
02-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Peter25

Quote:
Where's this coming from? Why would he go there if any top 8 team in Russia would match anything that Magnitka will offer, and more.
According to Finnish media Jan Marek said that he has made enough money in Russia and wants to return home. Marek said this during the Eurohockey Tour in Sweden last week.

Quote:
Does not surprise me. Language, life standards, families - intangibles, not money. These Swedes are on a loan after all.
But the KHL should be able to keep players like Weinhandl, Mårtensson, Pirnes and Johansson if it wants to be the "NHL of Europe". I think the KHL will be weakened a lot next year when these players leave the league.

Quote:
Some of these players will be in the KHL next season (Davidsson, Widing, Bremberg, according to http://www.eurohockey.net/news/story...ws_third_issue) . Others have played there, and are not worth the money they would want (Hlinka).
That is good news for the KHL. And Jaroslav Hlinka is a lot better than many of the foreigners currently playing in the KHL (like Peter Nylander and Petr Hubacek).

Quote:
You list too many "just above average players" who would be a waist of foreign players cap if signed (Granak, Skuhravy, Kumstat). I mean if you are 30 point scorer in KVary - chances are that you will be rather average in Dynamo.
But some of the other I mentioned would be elite in the KHL, namely Vrbata, Nummelin, Niskala, Lehtonen, Voutilainen, Blindenbacher, Pyörälä, Hahl and Straka. These guys are national team players and just as good as elite Russians in the KHL like Schastlivy, Afanasenkov, Nikulin, Perezhogin, Saprykin and Tereschenko. And they are a lot better than many of the current foreigners (mostly North Americans) in the KHL.

As I see it the next "big step" for the KHL is not to challenge the NHL, but to lure away most of the best players from the Swedish, Finnish, Czech and Swiss leagues. I don't know if they can do that since the financial crises will have bad effects for many of these KHL teams. But I hope the KHL can become even more dominant in Europe than it currently are is I am a fan of the KHL. And that requires luring away the top talent from the other Euro-leagues. According to the KHL rules this will be possible next year because the maximum number of foreigners will be six per team.

Quote:
The bottom line is that financially the KHL is already sufficiently well off to buy all these players, but I don't see why we should be spending money just to buy 30-point guys from the Czech league, and I hope the GM's understand that.
I agree. But you should spend money to get a Niskala or a Nummelin or a Lehtonen or a Straka if you really want to be the "European NHL".

Quote:
And many of them would not come over because of intangible (like most Swedes, Finns) for the money the KHL is ready to offer.
I think they will if you pay them enough. But then again, no player is worth overspending too much. The big challenge for the KHL is to built prestige. Right now the main motivation for foreigners to come there is to "grab as money as possible and run". That must change in time.

Old
02-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Den

Quote:
But the KHL should be able to keep players like Weinhandl, Mårtensson, Pirnes and Johansson if it wants to be the "NHL of Europe". I think the KHL will be weakened a lot next year when these players leave the league.
4 players do not make "a lot", IMHO. Plus, according to what I read today, the Swedes actually want to stay: Linkoping is refusing.

Quote:
And Jaroslav Hlinka is a lot better...
I agree he is better than Hubacek, but he also wants a lot more, and probably disproportionatly so He had 20 points in 36 games in Ak Bars, I don't see why this would make him attractive enough to shell out hundreds of thnds if not millions.

Quote:
but to lure away most of the best players from the Swedish, Finnish, Czech and Swiss leagues.
You can't really lure away a Scandinavian player: they will be coming, making money, leaving in a year or two, than the next ones, and so on. The reasons are obvious: their families do not follow them, they are scared of Russia, they don't speak the language, etc. Czechs and Slovaks seem to be more willing, again the reasons - apparent, that's why there are so many more of them.

Quote:
the KHL is to built prestige.
This comes with the territory. When/if the life standards in Russia are like in Sweden, many of these players will not be thinking twice.

Old
02-11-2009, 01:53 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
I don't see were they can get 15 Belarus. players to fill the roster
Maybe they can go with younger players. There development system is progressing very well, as they have 5 players playing significant rolls in the CHL, and kirill Gotovets who will be there next year probably. Also, Drozd is a good player. I think players like these will defect back to Belarus if an opportunity like this opens up. This country is exponentially progressing in terms of talent development.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Maybe they can go with younger players
IMHO, this is not good enough to play in the Belarus league, forget about the KHL

Old
02-11-2009, 06:38 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

In your opinion? It's fact. Shinnik Bobruisk is basically the U20 team minus the 5 in the CHL and adding in a few older players and they are currently in 11th place in the Belarusian League.

I think we may see Marek back in the Czech Republic but still in the KHL as Energie Karlovy Vary is confirmed to join the league next season and wants to act as a sort-of-National-team ala Dinamo Minsk and Dinamo Riga.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:03 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
IMHO, this is not good enough to play in the Belarus league, forget about the KHL
I disagree, don't underestimate the caliber of CHL, it is the best preparation league. I am saying that they can go with a younger roster now, because in a few years they will be good KHL players if not in the NHL. While developing these guys, they can sign a few high end imports, this will yield a good foundation for the organization. No one would expect them to be good at the beginning, but they can be decent while developing highly skilled young players.
I like this idea, because Belarus is a hockey hotbed, they just need new outlets like KHL teams to help grow their game.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:52 AM
v-man

How does the import player rule affect Dynamo Minsk? I know it doesn't apply to Dinamo Riga, who can have as many imports as they want. Is it the same for them, or does the limit apply due to it's population? The number of registered hockey players is about the same in the two nations, despite Belarus' population being more than four times that of Latvia.

I just can't see Gomel competing next year if they're forced to have their domestic players on the team. Minsk is weak enough as it is. Now water down the Belarussian base between two teams and they'll be #23 and 24 in the standings from the start. If they can import more players however, and the ownership is there, then I don't see why it couldn't happen.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 06:08 AM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky born Pilot View Post
In your opinion? It's fact. Shinnik Bobruisk is basically the U20 team minus the 5 in the CHL and adding in a few older players and they are currently in 11th place in the Belarusian League.
So you are basically confirming my point, right?

Quote:
I think we may see Marek back in the Czech Republic
He says he'll stay one more year in Russia.

http://www.allhockey.ru/news/45871/

KV is not a done deal yet, that have not found money yet.

Old
02-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
How does the import player rule affect Dynamo Minsk?
The KHL rule about 6 import concerns only Russian teams, but the Belarus Hockey Fed has a rule of at least 15 domestic players on the team.

Old
02-12-2009, 08:05 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Quote:
So you are basically confirming my point, right?
Yeah.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote