HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

New lines at Practice.

Old
02-12-2009, 12:37 AM
riskyxxbusiness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Let me clear this up a bit...when I said "playmaker" I meant it in the sense of a very skilled player as opposed to putting him on a line of something like Metropolit and Upshall who, for all their effort, aren't going to wow anyone with their skills.

Gagne knows how to put points on the board and I'd like Giroux to be on a line with someone like that.
not to knock on gagne (or maybe to pump up giroux), but is it just me or has anyone else seen that gagne at times can't seem to handle giroux's passes? part of me think it's that giroux might be letting them go a little late, but i could swear it's just because gagne doesn't expect giroux to be able to get him the puck at the moment.

riskyxxbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:00 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskyxxbusiness View Post
not to knock on gagne (or maybe to pump up giroux), but is it just me or has anyone else seen that gagne at times can't seem to handle giroux's passes? part of me think it's that giroux might be letting them go a little late, but i could swear it's just because gagne doesn't expect giroux to be able to get him the puck at the moment.
Exactly what I said on the other thread about this. Richie isnt a set up guy, and Gags hasnt had one since Forsberg. I think Gags isnt used to it at the moment. I remember sometime last game Giroux went on forth check and one it did i kind of no look pass right to Gags' stick and Gags wasnt ready at all for it. I think he just needs some time to adjust. I really think Giroux can set up Gags like Foppa did.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:30 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
If you haven't heard Anthony from Opie and Anthony's impression of Vince McMahon, you are missing out in life.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:52 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Exactly what I said on the other thread about this. Richie isnt a set up guy, and Gags hasnt had one since Forsberg. I think Gags isnt used to it at the moment. I remember sometime last game Giroux went on forth check and one it did i kind of no look pass right to Gags' stick and Gags wasnt ready at all for it. I think he just needs some time to adjust. I really think Giroux can set up Gags like Foppa did.
giroux can get the puck to gags, but foppa had an uncanny ability to draw the entire opposing team to himself. he basically made the ice bigger for his teammates and gave them a lot more time and space to put the puck away. giroux plays a much faster game than forsberg, who liked to take his time.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:27 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Not that I disagree with Giroux playing with Gagne, cause I dont but since when is Richards not a set up guy???? That is his strongest ability on the offensive side of the game.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 04:40 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm815 View Post
This is excellent. I have Giroux in my fantasy. And he is more of a playmaker in the traditional sense that you'd think of. We all know he's got great vision and good passing skills, so it should be fun to watch what he can do with Gags. I know its probably temporary, but at least Claude will help my fantasy team the next couple of games.
Yea I have him too but I am putting Peverly ahead of him. Girouxs day will come, but he wont be going too crazy this year.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 06:54 PM
mdm815

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Yea I have him too but I am putting Peverly ahead of him. Girouxs day will come, but he wont be going too crazy this year.
Thats weird I have Peverley too, but I picked up Giroux a bit ago when he was up on the first line with Richards for a few games. Im still hoping he starts to tear it up, but we'll see. I doubt it tho.

mdm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 06:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Not that I disagree with Giroux playing with Gagne, cause I dont but since when is Richards not a set up guy???? That is his strongest ability on the offensive side of the game.
I wouldnt consider Richards a setup guy like Giroux or Forsberg. Those are the guys that pass first shoot later. Richards has more of a trigger happy feeling to me. Of course he can set people up, but I wouldnt consider him that

Old
02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
I wouldnt consider Richards a setup guy like Giroux or Forsberg. Those are the guys that pass first shoot later. Richards has more of a trigger happy feeling to me. Of course he can set people up, but I wouldnt consider him that
Whatever, fair enough, we can agree to disagree. I dont want to debate the definition of a set up guy.

Personally, next year I want to see Gagne/Richards/Giroux as a line.

Old
02-13-2009, 11:56 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Whatever, fair enough, we can agree to disagree. I dont want to debate the definition of a set up guy.

Personally, next year I want to see Gagne/Richards/Giroux as a line.
Totally agree with that. And the whole setup thing is just opinion, and we both are technically right. No need for a debate

Old
02-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Anyone see Richie's goal last night? Total snipe job. And he's done it several times this season -- I think Richie is a decent passer, but I'm telling you...the kid can shoot.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
facts

the team sucked lastnight not the lines, we were flat lazy and uninvolved. Even the Ottawa announces kept questioning why this team wasn't moving. Inconsistant from game to game losing is one thing but without effort if frustrating.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 02:09 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
the team sucked lastnight not the lines, we were flat lazy and uninvolved. Even the Ottawa announces kept questioning why this team wasn't moving. Inconsistant from game to game losing is one thing but without effort if frustrating.
Pond hockey....sometimes you win, sometimes you dont

Old
02-18-2009, 10:27 AM
JSTAFF

When/if Briere gets back....how do you guys feel about these lines:

Gagne - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Lupul
Upshall - Powe - Giroux
Asham - Metro - Knuble

Knuble stays on 1st line powerplay but gets out of the way at ES. Can't see putting Briere on that 3rd line that will clearly get less minutes. Cote healthy scratch to take boxing lessons. Bash away

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 10:29 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Knuble wont be put on the 4th line.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Upshall-Briere-Giroux
Powe-Metro-Asham

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 10:35 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
When/if Briere gets back....how do you guys feel about these lines:

Gagne - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Lupul
Upshall - Powe - Giroux
Asham - Metro - Knuble

Knuble stays on 1st line powerplay but gets out of the way at ES. Can't see putting Briere on that 3rd line that will clearly get less minutes. Cote healthy scratch to take boxing lessons. Bash away
I would go with

Gagne Richards Knuble
Hartnell Carter Lupul
Upshall Briere Giroux (or swap Giroux and Briere if necessary)
Powe Metro Asham
Cote

What line would you match up against there??? That is like 3 top lines!

The other possibility is Lupul is moved and Giroux or Briere move up there.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Get Carter

I'm not positive, but I don't think those lineups will work under the Cap. Something's gotta give.

EDIT: Unless of course a defenseman is traded.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 10:37 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Upshall-Briere-Giroux
Powe-Metro-Asham
A team with size would absolutely dominate them soft players tho

Old
02-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Shoeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Upshall-Briere-Giroux
Powe-Metro-Asham
thats a solid fourth line.

I like powe, but he doesnt deserve to be anywhere near a scoring line. He's benefited from Upshalls all of the sudden playmaking ability. The thing that bothers me about Powe is that he shoots directly at the goalies chest. A year ago everyone was ragging on Umberger about this problem, imo Powe is alot worse. I would be angry if someone like Knuble or Upshall who brings more to the team loses minutes for Powe. I swear Stevens loves players with AHL talent.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 10:41 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Small? Yes, but Upshall and Giroux are by no means soft players.....In fact, Upshall is probably the LEAST soft player on the team. Neither is Briere really. He will get involved around the net and doesnt shy away from the physical play.

This is why this is good. The opponents will need to put good defenders against this line cause of their speed and skill, opening up more room for Carter and Richards. Or, they will be able to run wild on the ice cause the other team's top defenders are against Richards and Carter.

Remember when Detroit shut down the Legion of Doom with finesse players???

Old
02-18-2009, 10:44 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
I wouldn't call them soft, except maybe Briere, even still he isn't really soft. Plus they would have to catch em first.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 10:45 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Small? Yes, but Upshall and Giroux are by no means soft players.....In fact, Upshall is probably the LEAST soft player on the team. Neither is Briere really. He will get involved around the net and doesnt shy away from the physical play.

This is why this is good. The opponents will need to put good defenders against this line cause of their speed and skill, opening up more room for Carter and Richards. Or, they will be able to run wild on the ice cause the other team's top defenders are against Richards and Carter.

Yeah if its a problem swap Giroux and Knuble for some games

Old
02-18-2009, 10:46 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:

I do know what your saying. I just don't like the idea of having Knuble on the top line. Having two top scoring lines and then an energy 3rd line is the way to go in my mind. I had a feeling i'd be on my own about this but its ok.

Old
02-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Briere is tough as nails, but in the style of the game he plays you could consider it "soft" because he doesn't go around smashing everything to pieces like harts or knuble. Briere is a fearless little bugger who will drive hard at the net everytime

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 10:55 AM
HoverCarle*

my worry isnt their "softness" its Briere and Upshalls defensive irresponsibilty