HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Gainey the problem?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2009, 06:52 PM
  #251
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I'm tempted to get in on this topic, but instead I'll just make fun of myself for everyone else's amusement, especially in these dark times for us Habs fans.

I've been a strong and consistent supporter of Gainey since he took over. Hainsey, Beauchemin, Samsonov -- not his fault. I'm pretty sure I could even dig up a post that defended the Niinimaa trade. The only real criticism I lobbed at him was for the Lang acquisition, because I thought that was a really stupid move.

So that's my contribution.
We need more of this in these boards.

Im eating crow because last year I bashed Lapierre hard and now he's becoming one of my favs.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 07:01 PM
  #252
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
We need more of this in these boards.

Im eating crow because last year I bashed Lapierre hard and now he's becoming one of my favs.
Same here about Lapierre and I did the same last year about Kovalev. Man that tasted gross!



Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 09:52 PM
  #253
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Not only about AKost. We were talking about Gainey. You like flipping and switching issues so much, its an easy way to distract from the conversation when you know you can't prove your point and your arguments are being destroyed. Point by point for everything we have talked. When you see you are wrong, you automatically switch to something else, rinse and repeat, without ever acknowledging the fact that your arguments were wrong, nor trying to further defend them, you just switch to something else, another argument entirely.

Speaks volume??? Yeah, like the fact they were 14-2-1 before being 2-8????

That still makes them 16-10-1 over the last 27 games....

What big void? Some of these UFAs will come back, its not ALL of them who are playing badly and not coming back. It doesn't lead to team cohesion? What the hell do you know about team cohesion? They had team cohesion last year, and it was BG and Carbo who were there. You seem to forget that. If they knew what it took then, they certainly know now, and they certainly know better than you.

I bet you use the term kool-aid against anyone who doesn't agree with you
Where was my argument so wrong? Could you explain? My argument is an opinion - it's ok to have one right. These are discussion boards, correct?

You really have a difficult time with comprehension. Look up cohesion - you might learn something. The problem is with so FA's guys have no idea where they will be next year. It makes a difference. You may not believe it. Maybe you should talk to your buddy Blake Wheeler - he'll tell you.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:03 PM
  #254
3TB3*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
habs only started playing bad after those lecavalier rumors were NOT shut down by Gainey.

They are playing tonight like they want Carbo immediately fired. And want to be traded away.

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:09 AM
  #255
couz
 
couz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: montreal
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Gainey burnt himself with his credo of patience.

Now he reeks of desperation on the trade market.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:32 AM
  #256
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,967
vCash: 500
I guess Gainey and company were expecting this years Habs team to pick up their play and play like they did last season but sadly that is not going to happen this time around....

I don't know if Gainey is the problem but he is certainly not helping the situation by his patience with this bunch of creampuffs....

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:51 AM
  #257
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I guess Gainey and company were expecting this years Habs team to pick up their play and play like they did last season but sadly that is not going to happen this time around....

I don't know if Gainey is the problem but he is certainly not helping the situation by his patience with this bunch of creampuffs....
What patience?..

I don't know if you noticed, but there hasn't been any big trades since the lockout during the year except around deadline.

Gainey is clearly in talks, as we've seen with the Vinny situation, but it's just not that simple to make a trade anymore.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:59 AM
  #258
CPrice
Registered User
 
CPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
We need more of this in these boards.

Im eating crow because last year I bashed Lapierre hard and now he's becoming one of my favs.
Same here, I used to hate Laps. Now hes one of my favs.
Opposite of Pleks who was my favorite player and now, well...

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:22 AM
  #259
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,854
vCash: 500
Yes, Gainey is the problem. Did not address the D in the off-season, in fact he made it worse by allowing Streit to walk.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:29 AM
  #260
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Yes, Gainey is the problem. Did not address the D in the off-season, in fact he made it worse by allowing Streit to walk.
Ya, Streit was so worth 4M and I'm sure he would have been our savior..

Plz man..get a clue..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:34 AM
  #261
LesCanadiens
Registered User
 
LesCanadiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Okanagan Baby!
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Allow me to explain, I thought it was somewhat clear but obviously not.

You can't keep your players forever anymore for a couple of reasons. One is the salary cap. When players reach the status of RFA, they often get a substantial raise. Two is that players are now eligible to become UFA's at 27-28 years old, in their prime.

So you can't build teams, as successful as they might become, to stay together for a long period of time. Which means that even if we were to win big, we couldn't build a dynasty.

So getting back to my point, Bob knows that.

Hope this clarifies.
Geesh...you have soooome patience...trying to get reality and logic through to a guy that wouldn't know hockey if it landed on his head...is a helluva tough chore.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:40 AM
  #262
marvelousmotion
Registered User
 
marvelousmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ya, Streit was so worth 4M and I'm sure he would have been our savior..

Plz man..get a clue..
No offence, but you're the one who should get a clue... Streit would have resigned with us for way less than 4M had Gainey offered him a contract before July 1st.

Gainey had no interest in keeping the guy around and let him walk away without even attempting to sign him.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:42 AM
  #263
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,590
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by inf4mous_1 View Post
No offence, but you're the one who should get a clue... Streit would have resigned with us for way less than 4M had Gainey offered him a contract before July 1st.

Gainey had no interest in keeping the guy around and let him walk away without even attempting to sign him.
correct.
Streit himself said he would have loved to stay here for less.


Mitchell

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 02:15 AM
  #264
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inf4mous_1 View Post
No offence, but you're the one who should get a clue... Streit would have resigned with us for way less than 4M had Gainey offered him a contract before July 1st.

Gainey had no interest in keeping the guy around and let him walk away without even attempting to sign him.
Streit wanted to resign at the latest around xmas. After that, seeing he was having a good season, he decided to wait until UFA.
I know this because I know the girl he went out with for the 3years he was here.

I have the privilege to know this as a FACT, so no, I don't need to get a clue.

Yea, resigning him earlier would have been nice, but Streit was bad defensively with us and he wanted a guarantee he'd be used as a regular D.
If Streit was solid in his own end on top of having the solid point shot, you can be sure he'd still be with us.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:17 AM
  #265
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 6,815
vCash: 500
after edm, what does BOB do now?

this team could miss the playoffs., on there 100th year.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:28 AM
  #266
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,855
vCash: 500
In my opinion, Gainey can't really be blamed for this present debacle because of injuries to the key players he added to the team.

Laraque, Tanguay, Lang.

One thing I would slightly criticize in the Habs organization for (Gainey and Timmins in particular) is misreading the impact of the new rule changes in the NHL a few years ago.

The main example is opting to select Andrei Kostitsyn ahead of Ryan Getzlaf. In my opinion, not drafting Ryan Getzlaf when we should have was a huge misread of what the NHL would be like moving forward.

Let me explain.

The organization went for the the fast, skilled player thinking this is what was going to be needed to win in the New NHL. In fact, what ended up winning was good old grit, strong defense, size and physical domination, intimidation, combined with skill.

This is a HUGE misread by the organization in my opinion which hopefully they've noticed a while ago with the drafting of guys like Paciorrety who in my opinion is a keeper and the type of player who in the future will fit the bill.

But if I can single out a big mistake from this organization, to me it has to be passing on Ryan Getzlaf and opting for Andrei Kostitsyn instead.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:31 AM
  #267
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 6,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
In my opinion, Gainey can't really be blamed for this present debacle because of injuries to the key players he added to the team.

Laraque, Tanguay, Lang.

One thing I would slightly criticize in the Habs organization for (Gainey and Timmins in particular) is misreading the impact of the new rule changes in the NHL a few years ago.

The main example is opting to select Andrei Kostitsyn ahead of Ryan Getzlaf. In my opinion, not drafting Ryan Getzlaf when we should have was a huge misread of what the NHL would be like moving forward.

Let me explain.

The organization went for the the fast, skilled player thinking this is what was going to be needed to win in the New NHL. In fact, what ended up winning was good old grit, strong defense, size and physical domination, intimidation, combined with skill.

This is a HUGE misread by the organization in my opinion which hopefully they've noticed a while ago with the drafting of guys like Paciorrety who in my opinion is a keeper and the type of player who in the future will fit the bill.

But if I can single out a big mistake from this organization, to me it has to be passing on Ryan Getzlaf and opting for Andrei Kostitsyn instead.
BET ANA IS HAPPY WE DID, that was a big oops.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:37 AM
  #268
sandman08
Registered User
 
sandman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hyderabad, India
Country: India
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
In my opinion, Gainey can't really be blamed for this present debacle because of injuries to the key players he added to the team.

Laraque, Tanguay, Lang.

One thing I would slightly criticize in the Habs organization for (Gainey and Timmins in particular) is misreading the impact of the new rule changes in the NHL a few years ago.

The main example is opting to select Andrei Kostitsyn ahead of Ryan Getzlaf. In my opinion, not drafting Ryan Getzlaf when we should have was a huge misread of what the NHL would be like moving forward.

Let me explain.

The organization went for the the fast, skilled player thinking this is what was going to be needed to win in the New NHL. In fact, what ended up winning was good old grit, strong defense, size and physical domination, intimidation, combined with skill.

This is a HUGE misread by the organization in my opinion which hopefully they've noticed a while ago with the drafting of guys like Paciorrety who in my opinion is a keeper and the type of player who in the future will fit the bill.

But if I can single out a big mistake from this organization, to me it has to be passing on Ryan Getzlaf and opting for Andrei Kostitsyn instead.
getzlaf was considered to have some sortve baggage.. something about him not playing hard or trying or something along those lines while andrei was considered to be a "game breaker" type (if he could get over his epilepsy or whatever which the doctors felt would be no prob) hence the current situation

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:42 AM
  #269
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
getzlaf was considered to have some sortve baggage.. something about him not playing hard or trying or something along those lines while andrei was considered to be a "game breaker" type (if he could get over his epilepsy or whatever which the doctors felt would be no prob) hence the current situation
Well, I don't think whoever thought this could have been more wrong.

To me that says something about the people who thought this and who are payed to know this stuff.

How long have we needed a big center in Montreal? There he was, we let him slip away when he was right there for the picking.

6'4", 221lbs, 242 points in 272 NHL games, 1 Stanley Cup. +64


And it's not too early to tell anymore.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:45 AM
  #270
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 6,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Well, I don't think whoever thought this could have been more wrong.

To me that says something about the people who thought this and who are payed to know this stuff.

How long have we needed a big center in Montreal? There he was, we let him slip away when he was right there for the picking.

6'4", 221lbs, 242 points in 272 NHL games, 1 Stanley Cup. +64


And it's not too early to tell anymore.
and what mtl needed for 10 years, big forwards....

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:45 AM
  #271
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
the "we didn't draft X player! he rules now!" argument is so... dumb.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:46 AM
  #272
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Well, I don't think whoever thought this could have been more wrong.

To me that says something about the people who thought this and who are payed to know this stuff.

How long have we needed a big center in Montreal? There he was, we let him slip away when he was right there for the picking.

6'4", 221lbs, 242 points in 272 NHL games, 1 Stanley Cup. +64
Im tired of that big center talk. It wont change the fact that this team has half of a defense, a very young goaltender and a coach still learning how to coach an NHL team effectively. That big center wont solve these problems.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:46 AM
  #273
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Well, I don't think whoever thought this could have been more wrong.

To me that says something about the people who thought this and who are payed to know this stuff.

How long have we needed a big center in Montreal? There he was, we let him slip away when he was right there for the picking.

6'4", 221lbs, 242 points in 272 NHL games, 1 Stanley Cup. +64
Let's not forget other luminaries such as Dustin Brown, Jeff Carter, Zach Parise and Mike Richards.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:47 AM
  #274
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
the "we didn't draft X player! he rules now!" argument is so... dumb.


What is dumb is one-line posts with no argument at all. What is your argument?

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:48 AM
  #275
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 6,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
What is dumb is one-line posts with no argument at all. What is your argument?
AGREED

the players you post above, don't seem to be sucking in the nhl...

if we drafted 1/2 of those, we would be better.

and yes, this team needs a centre.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.