HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack PHANTOMS (schedule within post #403)

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2009, 04:22 AM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
The Phantoms beat Binghampton 2-1 Yesterday. Danny Syret scored the first goal in the 2nd period with assists by Pat Maroon and Jon Matsumoto. Binghampton tied it before the 2nd period ended, but David Laliberte won the game in the third, assists by Matsumoto and Guenin.

Scott Munroe made sure we hung on to that lead with a total of 35 saves yesterday.

Old
02-09-2009, 09:40 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
The Phantoms beat Binghampton 2-1 Yesterday. Danny Syret scored the first goal in the 2nd period with assists by Pat Maroon and Jon Matsumoto. Binghampton tied it before the 2nd period ended, but David Laliberte won the game in the third, assists by Matsumoto and Guenin.

Scott Munroe made sure we hung on to that lead with a total of 35 saves yesterday.
With the exception of one bad stretch, I like Munroe's play this year. Most expected Aubin to be the Phantoms guy in net and he has been a complete flop. As a result Munroe has taken the opportunity and has run with it. That said I wouldn't be surprised if he headed for Europe next year.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:04 AM
chaosof99*

I'm actually could see Munroe be the Flyers backup next season.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:08 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I'm actually could see Munroe be the Flyers backup next season.
For the Flyers' sake I certainly hope not.

Munroe reminds me a lot of Neil Little. Both are very good AHL goaltenders, but they both lack the quickness and agility to play at the NHL level.

Old
02-12-2009, 05:00 AM
chaosof99*

Phantoms won yesterday against the Lowell Devils 2-1 in a 9-round shootout marathon which was finally finished by Pat Maroon on his second try winning the shootout 3-2. Andreas Nödl scored the Phantoms goal in regulation with assists by Jared Ross and Jeff Swez. Scott Munroe stopped 33 shots and 7 of the Devils' attempts in the shootout.

Also, Matt Clackson duked it out with the Devils prospect with the way too long name:

Old
02-12-2009, 08:31 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Also, Matt Clackson duked it out with the Devils prospect with the way too long name:
Leblond is a long name? Cote actually fought him a few times earlier in the year.

Old
02-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

Quote:
That last punch really p*ssed PL3 off.

Old
02-12-2009, 10:08 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
For the Flyers' sake I certainly hope not.

Munroe reminds me a lot of Neil Little. Both are very good AHL goaltenders, but they both lack the quickness and agility to play at the NHL level.
You can't really determine if he could or can't without a game or so in the nhl under his belt. I remember when both Hackett had to retire mid season and Esche got hurt, so many people said that Nitty would do a horrible job and we were gonna get destroyed by the Devils. His first game (im pretty sure) he posted a shutout and went on to go 3-0 in his first 3 games, but then to backup when Esche came back. Of course their different players, but everyone thought Nitty had no chance to be in the NHL and he showed everyone he did.

Old
02-12-2009, 10:46 AM
kingjdv

Send a message via AIM to kingjdv
Jim Jackson was on the Preston and Steve show this morning and he said that there will be a press conference today by the new ownership group and the city of Allentown. No specifics were given.

Old
02-12-2009, 10:53 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You can't really determine if he could or can't without a game or so in the nhl under his belt. I remember when both Hackett had to retire mid season and Esche got hurt, so many people said that Nitty would do a horrible job and we were gonna get destroyed by the Devils. His first game (im pretty sure) he posted a shutout and went on to go 3-0 in his first 3 games, but then to backup when Esche came back. Of course their different players, but everyone thought Nitty had no chance to be in the NHL and he showed everyone he did.
I don't think you needed to see Neil Little play in an NHL game to know that wasn't an NHL calibre goalie (and he was a very good AHL goaltender) and I think the same can be said for Munroe. He's a very good AHL goalie that probably will do well in Europe, but I just don't see him having any kind of NHL career.

Having watched most of Niittymaki's home starts in his time with the Phantoms and a lot of Munroe's starts, Niittymaki looked much more like a potential NHL'er than Munroe does.

I believe that Munroe only signed a 1 year deal and, frankly, I'd be surprised if he's back next year. With both Teslak and Duschene under contract for next season I would expect those 2 to share the job in the AHL (where that will be is anyone's guess at this point in time) and that the Flyers will sign a Legace, Sanford, Sabourin, Gerber type to backup whoever their starter is next season.

Old
02-12-2009, 11:27 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjdv View Post
Jim Jackson was on the Preston and Steve show this morning and he said that there will be a press conference today by the new ownership group and the city of Allentown. No specifics were given.
There is a mention in yesterday's Allentown newspaper...

http://www.mcall.com/sports/hockey/a...,1628140.story
Quote:

The Brooks Group of Pittsburgh, the new owner of the American Hockey League's Philadelphia Phantoms, is having a media conference Thursday to present information on the team and the potential for its presence in the Lehigh Valley.

Brothers Jim and Rob Brooks of The Brooks Group are expected to be in attendance, as well as their consultants, members of their project team and representatives from Comcast and the Philadelphia Flyers.

The Phantoms are the Flyers' AHL affiliate. The AHL is akin to baseball's Triple-A level. Other regional AHL teams include the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and the Hershey Bears, both about an hour's drive from the Lehigh Valley.

The media event will take place at America On Wheels in Allentown, and the presentation will address the potential building for a multipurpose entertainment and sports arena in the area as well as its benefits for the Lehigh Valley and its communities.

The Brooks Group already has investigated several potential arena sites in Allentown, but also has been checking out additional sites in Northampton County. According to representatives for The Brooks Group, arena construction in the Lehigh Valley is not a done deal. Other areas are wooing the Phantoms, including Carolina, Texas and Canada.

Old
02-12-2009, 11:33 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
There is a mention in yesterday's Allentown newspaper...

http://www.mcall.com/sports/hockey/a...,1628140.story
Well it looks like the "final" destination for this team is Allentown (hopefully renamed), but that won't be until the 10-11 season. The question remains about next season.

Old
02-12-2009, 11:37 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Well it looks like the "final" destination for this team is Allentown (hopefully renamed), but that won't be until the 10-11 season. The question remains about next season.
This was in the Glens Falls newspaper earlier in the week. Maybe it will be addressed today.

http://www.poststar.com/articles/200...4191455703.txt
Quote:

GLENS FALLS -- The new owners of the Philadelphia Phantoms visited Glens Falls and met with Mayor John "Jack" Diamond over the weekend, but the mayor said they did not discuss details of what it might take to relocate the American Hockey League team to Glens Falls next season.

Members of the Brooks Group, the new ownership group, watched the AHL game between the Albany River Rats and Portland Pirates at the Civic Center on Saturday evening, and went with the mayor on a walking tour of downtown after the game, said Diamond, who contacted The Post-Star on Monday to discuss the visit.

"I showed them some of our downtown buildings. I showed them the area," he said.

Diamond identified the men he met with only as "members of the Brooks Group," and would not say which Brooks family members it was.

Diamond said he did not ask them specifically what it might take to bring the team to Glens Falls.

Old
02-12-2009, 11:50 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
This was in the Glens Falls newspaper earlier in the week. Maybe it will be addressed today.

http://www.poststar.com/articles/200...4191455703.txt
I saw that article.

What I find very strange about it is that the mayor specifically said that he didn't ask what it would take to bring the team to Glens Falls. Being in sales one of the first things that I was taught is to always let my potential client know that I want his business and ask what needs to be done to earn it.

I went to Glens Falls a few years ago for a UHL game. The surrounding area is nice as it's a college town and the arena is decent enough.

Old
02-12-2009, 12:35 PM
kicksave27

they darn sure better come up with a better name for the team than they did for the Iron Pigs

Old
02-12-2009, 12:45 PM
kungpao

Send a message via MSN to kungpao
I remember reading somewhere during the sale that the brooks group were 'urged' to keep the Phantoms name. Lehigh Valley Phantoms doesn't sound too bad to me.

As for the Iron Pigs, I thought it was lame at first too till i realized the meaning of it with regard to the area.

WFMZ has a small blip on the news conference with renderings of a proposed arena.

Old
02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
kungpao

August 1st deadline (Morning Call)

Quote:
The new owners of the Philadelphia Phantoms American Hockey League team announced in Allentown today they have established an Aug. 1 deadline to forge a deal to build a Lehigh Valley arena to house the team.

The brothers Jim and Rob Brooks also said that their No. 1 preference to locate the arena is the Lehigh Valley. The Brooks, principals in the Brooks Group of Pittsburgh, said the Aug. 1 deadline is for putting together a private-public partnership deal to build the arena in the Valley.

No site has been chosen, but the Brooks mentioned all three major cities in the Valley -- Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton -- as potential sites. Today's announcement was made at a news conference at the America On Wheels Museum in Allentown.
Allentown's a 15 min drive from me but I LIVE in Easton so E being mentioned is exciting

Old
02-12-2009, 02:24 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
Let me ask you something, and answer truthfully......do you honestly go to more than 5 Phantoms games a year? And, if so....do you go to more Phantoms games than Flyers games?
I do

Usually about 10 Phantoms games and 5 Flyers games....Only because of money and to take my son though who loves the Phantoms. If it were up to me it would be 41 Flyers games and 4-5 Phantoms games.

Old
02-12-2009, 03:06 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpao View Post
August 1st deadline (Morning Call)

Allentown's a 15 min drive from me but I LIVE in Easton so E being mentioned is exciting
I don't know the area all that well, but is there space near the new ballpark, creating a small sports complex?

Old
02-12-2009, 04:51 PM
kungpao

Yes, IMO, there's space there for the arena. Plus, there's a whole bunch of new retail going in real close. The new retail area is the reason my wife's being displaced at her work... but that's another story all together.

Old
02-13-2009, 11:15 AM
pelts35.com

According to an article in the Inquirer, an arena in Allentown won't be ready until at least 2012. That means that the Brooks Group needs to do something with the franchise for 09-10, 10-11 and possibly 11-12. They have not ruled out making the franchise dormant.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...lley_home.html

Old
02-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Raffl House

Leblond totally had the advantage on Clackson, and he looked like he suckered him after Leblond fell.

For a guy with probably the girliest name ever, I don't think you'll ever see me making fun of him (to his face, anyway)

Old
02-14-2009, 06:07 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

Phantoms lose 4-1 to Bridgeport. Syvret had the Phantoms goal.

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/game-s...ame_id=1005529

Old
02-14-2009, 03:19 PM
pelts35.com

Just as an FYI, if the season ended today, the Phantoms would miss the playoffs. They are currently 6 points out of 4th place.

Old
02-15-2009, 08:13 AM
chaosof99*

At least in the AHL Philadelphia beats the Senators. Phantoms win 4-1 over Binghampton with Aubin actually having a decent game stopping 37 shots and earning himself first star. Jon Matsumoto also had a decent game scoring shorthanded for the 3-1 and also getting an assist for the empty-netter at the end. Unfortunately he also spent a double minor for high-sticking in the box. Actually a ton of stick penalties in that game.

Closed Thread