HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Atl-sj

Old
02-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Persian88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Kovi is a top 10 player in the entire nhl.... hes what 25? Vlasic had what one good season now? ppl who say Vlasic for kovi stright up is a rip off for shark fans really need to wake up.... top 10 talent for young d man..... hmmmmm ^_-
uhhhh pretty sureeeee my response was to some ignorant "hockey fan" callin Vlasic overated when he probably hasnt seen him play more than 2 games in his life...not to who was the better player, which is pretty hard to determine considering one's a defensemen and the other a winger..

One good season?!?!?! really? Out of his 3 years in the league so far, i'd say he's had a very solid 2.5 years.

It's not a rip off for the sharks, its just a matter of needs. And Vlasic fills our needs more than another skilled winger. Lets say he gets 10 more points playing on Joe's wing than seto. Would it really be worth giving up Vlasic + for that? and we would be extremely hindered next season with new contracts.

hmmmmmm

Persian88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 02:02 PM
SoCalSharkzFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
If I paypal you $10 bucks will you buy a dictionary and look up the words "fact" and "opinion" because clearly your understanding of the meanings of each if off? It's your opinion that the Sharks don't need Kovalchuk. It's not an opinion shared by your fellow Sharks fan who started this thread.

How is it spewing garbage to say that Atlanta would want something pretty valuable for one of the best players in the league? Whether or not SJ would be willing to give that up is irrelevant and is not something I ever suggested, but so nice of you to attack that strawman with such vigor.

Thought I'd clear that up for you and all of the other "Sharkz" fanz.
No surprise that little jab was lost on you. I should have figured by your previous post that you weren't capable of detecting sarcasm.... your intelligence is obviously low.

Let's just establish that you know nothing about the Sharks.

I'm also going to assume that I need to spell things out for you, nice and slow so you can understand.

The Sharks already have 10.6 mil tied up with Michalek and Marleau. They also have Clowe who's due for a pay rise, probably around 4.5-5 million a year.

Even if you don't count Marleau as a LW, that's still 9-10+ mil tied up in two LWers.. add in Marleau and it's 16mil. What are you gonna do? Make them go to the third line? You already have Michalek and Clowe playing on the same line.

It's spewing garbage to say that Vlasic is overrated or overvalued.

In my post, I stopped talking to you after the first line.. It should have been obvious I was speaking in general. Whether or not San Jose would be willing to give up that much IS relevant, because people were arguing about it. As I said, I wasn't talking to you. Everything is not always about you.

You're attacking my screen name? That's pretty weak... In fact, I've had this screen name since 1996, and this is the first time in over 12 years that someone has been childish enough to attempt to make fun of it.

SoCalSharkzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 02:55 PM
matt trick

Quote:
If I paypal you $10 bucks will you buy a dictionary and look up the words "fact" and "opinion" because clearly your understanding of the meanings of each if off? It's your opinion that the Sharks don't need Kovalchuk. It's not an opinion shared by your fellow Sharks fan who started this thread.

How is it spewing garbage to say that Atlanta would want something pretty valuable for one of the best players in the league? Whether or not SJ would be willing to give that up is irrelevant and is not something I ever suggested, but so nice of you to attack that strawman with such vigor.

Thought I'd clear that up for you and all of the other "Sharkz" fanz.

Just out of curiosity would you do Wideman for Kovalchuk straight up? Because Vlasic is every bit as good 4 years younger, and signed to an even better contract.

In a vacuum (not taking needs, cap space, or age into account) San Jose would trade Vlasic for Kovalchuk.

But the reality is the cap could be 50 million the year Kovalchuk comes off the books. The Sharks will already have Boyle, Thornton, Michalek, and Ehrhoff signed for 20 million (40% of the cap).
Add in conservative contracts for Setoguchi (4), Pavelski (4) Marleau (6), Kovalchuk (7.5), and Nabakov (5) and you 46.5 million spent on 6 forwards, 2 d-men and a goalie. The Sharks only need 7 forwards, 5 d-men, and a backup. Assuming 13 players at 500k they are still at 53 million. They would need to move upwards of 10 million (Marleau+Michalek) not to mention Vlasic and likely Cheechoo and Clowe.

Kovalchuk is a top 10-15 forward in the league, and would be the most dynamic player the Sharks have ever had. But that doesn't mean the Sharks should move a top 10 shutdown d-man in the league, who is younger and significantly cheaper than him, and locked up for 4 more years.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Just throwing the idea out there.

Remember, the Sharks got Joe Thornton for Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm, and Wayne Primeau.

Good point. How about this deal: Setoguchi for Jason Blake and Jeff Finger. You never know, after all the Sharks got Thornton for Stuart, Sturm and Primeau.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSharkzFan View Post
No surprise that little jab was lost on you. I should have figured by your previous post that you weren't capable of detecting sarcasm.... your intelligence is obviously low.

Let's just establish that you know nothing about the Sharks.

I'm also going to assume that I need to spell things out for you, nice and slow so you can understand.

The Sharks already have 10.6 mil tied up with Michalek and Marleau. They also have Clowe who's due for a pay rise, probably around 4.5-5 million a year.

Even if you don't count Marleau as a LW, that's still 9-10+ mil tied up in two LWers.. add in Marleau and it's 16mil. What are you gonna do? Make them go to the third line? You already have Michalek and Clowe playing on the same line.

It's spewing garbage to say that Vlasic is overrated or overvalued.

In my post, I stopped talking to you after the first line.. It should have been obvious I was speaking in general. Whether or not San Jose would be willing to give up that much IS relevant, because people were arguing about it. As I said, I wasn't talking to you. Everything is not always about you.

You're attacking my screen name? That's pretty weak... In fact, I've had this screen name since 1996, and this is the first time in over 12 years that someone has been childish enough to attempt to make fun of it.
Please point out the post in this thread where I said Vlasic was overrated.

Please point out the post in this thread where I said the Sharks should deal for Kovalchuk.

Please point out the post in this thread where I said the Sharks could afford Kovalchuk's salary.

Again you keep arguing against strawmen. I actually agree with most of what you said. All I've said that if SJ was going to deal for Kovalchuk (not that they would, should, could) that they'd have to give up something signifcant that would hurt. I'm sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities. Fine from now on I'll agree that the Sharks can get elite players for Claude Lemieux and Todd McLellan's sports coats. Happy?

Old
02-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Just out of curiosity would you do Wideman for Kovalchuk straight up? Because Vlasic is every bit as good 4 years younger, and signed to an even better contract.

In a vacuum (not taking needs, cap space, or age into account) San Jose would trade Vlasic for Kovalchuk.

But the reality is the cap could be 50 million the year Kovalchuk comes off the books. The Sharks will already have Boyle, Thornton, Michalek, and Ehrhoff signed for 20 million (40% of the cap).
Add in conservative contracts for Setoguchi (4), Pavelski (4) Marleau (6), Kovalchuk (7.5), and Nabakov (5) and you 46.5 million spent on 6 forwards, 2 d-men and a goalie. The Sharks only need 7 forwards, 5 d-men, and a backup. Assuming 13 players at 500k they are still at 53 million. They would need to move upwards of 10 million (Marleau+Michalek) not to mention Vlasic and likely Cheechoo and Clowe.

Kovalchuk is a top 10-15 forward in the league, and would be the most dynamic player the Sharks have ever had. But that doesn't mean the Sharks should move a top 10 shutdown d-man in the league, who is younger and significantly cheaper than him, and locked up for 4 more years.
Yes I would trade Wideman for Kovalchuk, but that really isn't relevant since I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT THE SHARKS SHOULD TRADE VLASIC FOR KOVALCHUK. I SAID THAT IT WOULD TAKE SOMETHING WITH THAT KIND OF VALUE.

Saying that if I want to buy a porsche it is going to take a lot of money is a fact and it in no way implies that I should go out and buy one.

Old
02-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Persian88

Quote:
Yes I would trade Wideman for Kovalchuk, but that really isn't relevant since I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT THE SHARKS SHOULD TRADE VLASIC FOR KOVALCHUK. I SAID THAT IT WOULD TAKE SOMETHING WITH THAT KIND OF VALUE.

Saying that if I want to buy a porsche it is going to take a lot of money is a fact and it in no way implies that I should go out and buy one.
no need to raise your voice there, big guy.

Persian88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 10:06 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:

Yeah ok whatever stop saying the Sharks should trade Vlasic for Kovalchuk.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:48 PM
SoCalSharkzFan

Quote:
Please point out the post in this thread where I said Vlasic was overrated.

Please point out the post in this thread where I said the Sharks should deal for Kovalchuk.

Please point out the post in this thread where I said the Sharks could afford Kovalchuk's salary.
Please learn to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSharkzFan View Post

SoCalSharkzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:53 PM
JJagr68

hahahahaha....Pavelski and Cheechoo....Did Mike Milbury take over as interim GM to handle the trade deadline?

JJagr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:12 PM
matt trick

Quote:

Even though you have 9 top 6 forwards and two high end d-men, and you have cap problems? Seriously?

With Kovalcuk next year:

Kovy (7.5) -Savard (5)-Ryder (4)
Kessel (4.5)- Krejci (4.5)- Wheeler (2.85)
Kobasew (2.33)-Bergeron (4.75)- Lucic (.85)
x (.5)- Nokelinen (.85)- Thornton (.5)
x (.5)

Chara (7.5)-Ward (2.5)
Ference (1.4)- Hunwich (1.25)
Stuart (1.3)-Hnidy (1)
x (.5)

Rask (3.2)
x (.5)

Total: 57.3 million (so you need to cut 1 million minimum). And what about the next year when you are still lacking a #2 d-man, Lucic, Kovalchuk, Wheeler, and Ference need raises, and the cap is going down 3-5 million?

Unbelievable offense, but the defense looks pretty weak. And that is will dealing sturm and signing the cheapest 12th and 13th forward possible. Not to mention going with a rookie in net (talented though he is).

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 03:59 PM
rowdysharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
To ATL

Joe Pavelski
Jonathan Cheechoo

To SJ

Kovalchuk

SJ would have to shed additional salary somehow, but Atlanta gets an excellent young center in Pavelski, and a talented winger in Cheechoo. SJ gets a new top 6 of:

Kovalchuk-Thornton-Setoguchi
Michalek-Marleau-Clowe

Ha this is a great joke i gotta hand it to you. you should b a comedian

rowdysharks is offline   Reply With Quote