HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver/Anaheim

Old
02-12-2009, 05:20 AM
nilssont

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Stop it.. all of you. I'm getting mushy remembering BMo..

*ahem* so, the deal would be:

To VAN:
B. Morrison

To ANA:
4th Round Pick 09

??

Yes please

nilssont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 08:21 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Raymond ain't gonna do it...gonna have to start with Bieksa or Edler and a first...go from there.
I doubt that either of those guys would be needed to land Niedermayer should be be available.

He is after all a rental player this year. Why would it require a regular top 4 dman, signed to a good contract, to get Niedermayer, when past rentals like Forsberg, Hossa, Tkachuk, Smyth, and basically every other rental player moved at the deadline, ALL didn't require such types of assets going back?

I realize that Niedermayer is a special player... but so were Forsberg... so was Hossa. Why would teams have to give up more for Niedermayer?

I think if Niedermayer is moved - which is a big stretch right now as the Ducks are still in playoff contention, the return will be similar to what those previous top end rentals got... a 1st is a given, but beyond that you're looking at prospects or young players that aren't contributing at a high level currently - since teams NEVER move such players in deals for a rental... and a prospect that isn't the organizations top guys - since again, such assets never get moved for rental players.

IMO a deal for O'Brien, Raymond, 1st is a solid offer for a rental player... I can't see guys like Bieksa or Edler being moved in such a deal, because again it NEVER happens!! Teams heading into the playoffs don't deal players that play key minutes in their current lineups. It didn't happen for Forsberg, it didn't happen for Hossa... it's never happened for any rental player, and as such it's not going to happen for Niedermayer.

Having said that, as long as the ducks are in playoff contention at deadline time - and it's hard to imagine they won't be - I don't understand why Niedermayer would be moving.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Pepper

If Oilers got Nilsson, O'Marra and 1st for Smyth, Ducks most certainly look to get more for Niedermayer. Those 2 prospects were pretty highly-ranked at that point.

Forsberg was "only" PPG player and he got Upshall, Parent and 1st. Again, Niedermayer is most likely worth more.

Hossa netted Christensen, Esposito and 1st. Worth more than the package of SOB, Raymond and 1st.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
If Oilers got Nilsson, O'Marra and 1st for Smyth, Ducks most certainly look to get more for Niedermayer. Those 2 prospects were pretty highly-ranked at that point.

Forsberg was "only" PPG player and he got Upshall, Parent and 1st. Again, Niedermayer is most likely worth more.

Hossa netted Christensen, Esposito and 1st. Worth more than the package of SOB, Raymond and 1st.
ask Isles fans where Nilsson and O'Marra ranked in their organization at the time of the trade... they were not their top prospects by any stretch.

The same is true for Upshall and Parent. Nashville already had better younger players in their lineup over Upshall, who was not getting a lot of icetime there and was just a depth player in that organization... Parent was not their top prospect either, as the team already had a few younger dmen that were higher on their depth chart, and was not even playing on their team. Chirstensen was a depth player - playing in a position where the Pens had tons of depth - which also made it easier to give up Esposito - a center prospect in an organization loaded with center depth... and again he also fell in the draft as well because of his question marks and remains a decent, not top quality, prospect right now.

Tell me when ever a team has dealt a top 4 dman who's signed to a longterm deal, for any UFA?

the type of players you see moving are depth guys, where the organization already has more depth in those positions ahead of those players... the prospects you see moving are guys that have fallen out of favour in their organization and aren't considered close the organization's top prospects.

Bieksa and Edler are both young dmen that are locked up to longterm deals, playing top 4 roles on their current clubs. Bieksa leads the team in icetime as well, while Edler is only 22 YO and is key part of the defense moving forward, especially with Ohlund's impending UFA status.

Give me ONE single example of when players like this WERE EVER dealt for ANY impending UFA in the HISTORY of the NHL?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
The Overseer*

No to Morrison.

Reasons:

1. The Canucks didn't want him in the offseason for that salary, why would they want to pay him now that he has sucked all year?

2. Morrison is a minor penalty machine, which has been one of Vancouver's biggest problems.

3. There are far better options. Morrison is one of the least effective players in the league.

4. Nostalgia for 6 years ago is retarded.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Give me ONE single example of when players like this WERE EVER dealt for ANY impending UFA in the HISTORY of the NHL?
Ummm what are you talking about??

I'm talking about the value of SOB + Raymond + 1st.

IMHO Hossa and Forsberg netted more in terms of value and one could argue Smyth got more as well.

But to answer your question, from the top of the head Malakhov (UFA) was traded to Devils for Souray (signed), prospect and 2nd. Not that it matters.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I'd gladly take B-Mo back. Like NFiTO mentioned he's been one of our best post-season performers over the years, and if there is anything that can turn Morrison's season around I think it might be coming home.

And Niedermayer isn't getting you Edler or Bieksa. Rentals are traded for picks, and prospects or players buried under depth in an organization - pretty much all these comparisons have this in common. Bieksa and Edler are both established top four defensemen (if you look at ice-time per game, point production, and strength of opposition Bieksa is actually a top-pairing defenseman) - rentals just are not worth that much in this market.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I'd gladly take B-Mo back. Like NFiTO mentioned he's been one of our best post-season performers over the years, and if there is anything that can turn Morrison's season around I think it might be coming home.
No.

Career PO stats:
53 games
8 goals
28 points
minus 4

All while playing mostly first line minutes.

You are blinded by nostalgia. Morrison sucks. Has for the past 4 years.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:52 PM
tantalum

The canucks turned the page completely on that era and rightfully so. Morrison in the third line center spot is a brutal idea. Since his hooking and holding has been taken away from him he is no longer that good defensive player. And he never has been and never will be that shut down guy. He's miscast in a thrid line role. And frankly he isn't remotely good enough to find his way into the canucks top 6 given there is no way he displaces Sundin or Sedin at center and we all know how brutal Morrison is on the wing.

And as has been mentioned by the poster above his playoff stats have not been overwhelming at all. 9 points his last 19 playoff games. He's essentially had 1 good playoff year of 11 points in 14 games....but those days are gone. That was pre-lockout. That was pre-injuries.

The only time I would say yes to Morrison being acquired in that role is if it's 5 minutes to the deadline and that hole hasn't been filled (either by acquiring a top 6 to move Kesler back down or another third line center to replace Kesler). But then it's really a case of the Gillis not doing the job at deadline time.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

You can have Morrison for free.

Crowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
You are blinded by nostalgia. Morrison sucks. Has for the past 4 years.
No, you're blinded by stats. If you actually cared to recall the actual goals Morrison has scored - there have been some major clutch moments. What more do you want out of a third line centre.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
No, you're blinded by stats. If you actually cared to recall the actual goals Morrison has scored - there have been some major clutch moments. What more do you want out of a third line centre.
The ability to play defense without taking penalties, the ability to stay healthy, and the ability to be a physical presence which can help energize the team.

How's that?

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Cocoa Crisp

... and stay on side from time to time.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 04:05 PM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

i dont want him back.. for really cheap, meh. i dont think we need him.

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 04:06 PM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

i think wellwood could perform better as our 3rd line center. no more minus morrison.

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote