HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2/11/09 Washington Capitals @ New York Rangers - 7:00 pm The Garden

Old
02-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Dawit49

vCash: 500
Do we know how long Semin is gone or is it a DTD ?

Dawit49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:33 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawit49 View Post
Do we know how long Semin is gone or is it a DTD ?
Boudreau said he'll be back this weekend. I don't know if I believe him, but that's what he said.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Dawit49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Boudreau said he'll be back this weekend. I don't know if I believe him, but that's what he said.
Did he gave you a reason not to believe him?

Dawit49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:47 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawit49 View Post
Did he gave you a reason not to believe him?
The Caps are notoriously vague with injury reports. Day-to-day was used for some time to describe Clark's season-ending groin injury last year.

Basically, you don't know what's going on until someone's back in the game.

That, and without knowing what Semin's injury is it's tough to figure how realistic Saturday is.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:53 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
there were 86 combined hits tonight. Ovi had 13 so its not like he is contributing when not scoring ES. It's too bad we aren't going to face the rags again, they seem to always be entertaining games.
I'm more worried about them in the long run then anytime soon. If they can't get it going at ES then we are going to have to rely on the pp to win.

Backstom looked good on the PK again tonight but they havent been strong at scoring ES all season and when we dont get many pp chances it is going to be hard to win unless someone else steps up, Green or Semin, I guess.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 11:58 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
Ovie has to start scoring when big time players are out of the line up.
Backstrom needs to contribute too.

right now it's just Mike Green and a chip in from the depth players here and there.
Ovie can't with 19 and 92. Those guys are just too darn similar and the D collapses on 8. Its why I said before that Kozlov earns more money sitting on the bench and its why I said I hated this line-up with our only hope being the 2nd line and PP. Well, the PP did its yang today.

I was very impressed with BB putting Green out that when the 8-19-92 line went out. 92 makes his circles and he single-handedly makes Jurcina an offensive threat. You take out 23 and put in 52 and that's what you get. BAM!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:00 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
If Florida and the NY Rangers had halfway decent PPs the Caps would have lost the past two games in regulation, largely thanks to their own unforced errors and general stupidity. That's why--in addition to their spotty team defense and questionable PK coaching--it's hard to make the case that this team is an actual contender. Contenders are smarter and more advantageous than that.
And its also why this team is going to be sick... SICK when they mature.

Also BB needs to kick some ass for puck retrieval on the PP. Its beyond horrendous to watch us get out hussled and outmanned when on the PP.

Old
02-12-2009, 12:03 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Ovie can't with 19 and 92. Those guys are just too darn similar and the D collapses on 8. Its why I said before that Kozlov earns more money sitting on the bench and its why I said I hated this line-up with our only hope being the 2nd line and PP. Well, the PP did its yang today.

I was very impressed with BB putting Green out that when the 8-19-92 line went out. 92 makes his circles and he single-handedly makes Jurcina an offensive threat. You take out 23 and put in 52 and that's what you get. BAM!
Seriously I sometimes wonder what Nylander could do with 4 defenseman on the ice at the blue line. He could have the whole zone to himself!!!

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 12:16 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Really a lot of poor decisions lead to all 4 goals. And all really correctable.

1. I'm sure everyone knows about Alzner picking the wrong guy on the 3 on 3. You got to pick the guy closest to the net at this level. I was a little upset with Jurcina going after the puck carrier. Backstrom wasn't completely back. It was a semi 3-2. On that you DON'T take the puck carrier and leave the other defender to stop a 2 on 1. But I think if Alzner takes the right man, there is no goal so.

2. Stecks with a horrible no look clear and the puck is kept in at point.... turnover at the blueline = goal as the shot bounces off Alzner and the lucky bounce goes to the NYR balancing the Flash goal luck.

3. WTF Poti?? I mean its a 2 on 2 why are you shading to the puck carrier?? Stay in front of your man!

4. Green goes to bench from the box in the 2nd period (long change) when the Caps don't have possession... wtf?? Perhaps he was called by the box. But that RW was wide open.

Old
02-12-2009, 02:48 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Nice dive Poti.

That dive was absolutely brutal. I didn't think the push was really enough to be a penalty. It was about the only decision the Refs got right in my view.

Also, did anyone else notice the complete lack of effort by Nylander on our first powerplay going after a 50/50 puck? Saw it might be a fight for the puck and just drifted away. I know he had a decent assist for greens 2nd goal, but we need to figure a way out to deal him Doesn't fit at ALL with the team ethos.

That shootout was painful to watch(aside from ovy scoring). I was on the fence when the NHL was considering adding it, but now i absolutely abhor it. The result of a hockey game should be decided by playing _hockey_ not some silly skill competition.

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 03:47 AM
Atlas

How did Fehr play tonight? I see he had a goal. I caught the near miss at end of the game; it looked Flash set him up? It looks like Fehr is establishing his game at the NHL level. Boy oh boy would that help this team.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
How did Fehr play tonight? I see he had a goal. I caught the near miss at end of the game; it looked Flash set him up? It looks like Fehr is establishing his game at the NHL level. Boy oh boy would that help this team.
He had a goal and an assist. He's looking good, some would say better then Flash looked last year. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Kegger

vCash: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
He had a goal and an assist. He's looking good, some would say better then Flash looked last year. Hopefully he keeps it up.
Almost got the game winner...

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Crashed at 6pm; woke at 7:30 this morning. Totally slept through the game.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:31 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative View Post

Also, did anyone else notice the complete lack of effort by Nylander on our first powerplay going after a 50/50 puck? Saw it might be a fight for the puck and just drifted away. I know he had a decent assist for greens 2nd goal, but we need to figure a way out to deal him Doesn't fit at ALL with the team ethos.

They all lack that effort and its what prevents them from excelling. Just watch the Detroit stars. Flash also really pissed me off on that first PP w/ 48 sec left (yes I actually looked at the time left and steamed). He got beat to a loose puck in the corner and could have at worst pressured that Dman to chip the puck instead of a free pass to his dman partner for a clear.

Old
02-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Crashed at 6pm; woke at 7:30 this morning. Totally slept through the game.
Lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
They all lack that effort and its what prevents them from excelling. Just watch the Detroit stars. Flash also really pissed me off on that first PP w/ 48 sec left (yes I actually looked at the time left and steamed). He got beat to a loose puck in the corner and could have at worst pressured that Dman to chip the puck instead of a free pass to his dman partner for a clear.
You're right in part, but Nylander is clearly at an even lower level. I know he could be a good deal at 4.8 if he starts scoring, but i really don't give a crap. That sort of lax attitude is poison.

Last edited by Captain Conservative: 02-12-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 05:52 PM
sk84fun_dc

I thought Beagle held his own for his first game, but I was surprised he took a regular shift at 4th line center instead of the coaches splitting Gordon and Steckel between the 3rd and 4th lines. I wonder if Gordon's back is bothering him in terms of taking too many faceoffs? I also thought Beagle might see some time on the PK as I posted when we heard about his call-up, although given the PKs were mostly late in the game, not as surprising.

Morrisonn taking penalties while the team is already on the PK, ugh; and the number of games in a row giving the other team a 5 on 3, double ugh.

And I was surprised Boudreau didn't give Green a chance in the SO.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote