HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biron on the Block

Old
02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
kicksave27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
How 'bout firing Lemelin?
I've wanted him gone for along time. He's been here since the early 90's when bernie retired from goalie coaching. We've developed squat in terms of goalies in the last 15 years or so. And they've used first round picks on goalies, boucher, pelletier, quellet(drafted the same year as Nitty btw). If people want the flyers to start burning first round picks on goalies, fine, but it'll be lemelin who is working with them. So you better draft someone so good they can overcome that handicap. I'm tired of goalies for the flyers having the same holes in their game that never get fixed. Esche for example, was always paddle down when a guy was coming out of the corner, way before they even got to the net, leaving the upper half of the net open, martin st louis would beat him every time. Biron and his awful shootout technique. Nitty and his over reliance on his flexibility and athleticism. Goalies need continual little tweaks as season go along, which are really hard to realize on your own. Which is what the goalie coach is for, he'll notice things like biron not coming out far enough to challenge on breakaways or esche cheating on some plays. But lemelin can't seem to do it. The best the team can hope for is for a goalie to go on a natural hot streak during the playoffs, which boucher did(one of the streakiest goalies in history) and biron did last year.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:34 PM
BigBanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I've wanted him gone for along time. He's been here since the early 90's when bernie retired from goalie coaching. We've developed squat in terms of goalies in the last 15 years or so. And they've used first round picks on goalies, boucher, pelletier, quellet(drafted the same year as Nitty btw). If people want the flyers to start burning first round picks on goalies, fine, but it'll be lemelin who is working with them. So you better draft someone so good they can overcome that handicap. I'm tired of goalies for the flyers having the same holes in their game that never get fixed. Esche for example, was always paddle down when a guy was coming out of the corner, way before they even got to the net, leaving the upper half of the net open, martin st louis would beat him every time. Biron and his awful shootout technique. Nitty and his over reliance on his flexibility and athleticism. Goalies need continual little tweaks as season go along, which are really hard to realize on your own. Which is what the goalie coach is for, he'll notice things like biron not coming out far enough to challenge on breakaways or esche cheating on some plays. But lemelin can't seem to do it. The best the team can hope for is for a goalie to go on a natural hot streak during the playoffs, which boucher did(one of the streakiest goalies in history) and biron did last year.
I couldnt agree with a post more.

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 01:41 PM
BigBanger

Id love to see the ENTIRE coaching and training staff meet the ax. Our conditioning and preparation sucks, this team plays horrendous defense (and for all the talent we have behind the blue line this really makes them look awful), and they always have, and the goalie gets blamed first. We need a defensive minded coach here. Badly. and a training staff that can keep players who make more than 5 million a year on the ice.

Dude you are so right, Training staff has sucked for years......

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Beastieboy

Until we get (trade for or develop) a #1 rather than 1a and 1b I don't see a return to the promised land (ie Cup finals). It has been too long since we had a guy who could consistently get in the heads of the opposition forwards and have them think he is unbeatable. We have fallen short of the finals in 1995, 2000 and 2004 because of it. We need a Vezina calibre goalie to get back there.

1974 Parent (Vezina 74)
1975 Parent (Vezina 75)
1976 Stephenson/Parent (might have had a chance with Bernie in final)
1980 Peeters (Vezina in 83 with Boston)
1985 Lindbergh (Vezina 85)
1987 Hextall (Vezina 87)
1997 Hextall (Vezina 87)

We have not fluked our way to the finals with so-so goaltending. It has to be great to get there and near invincible to win it all.

By the way, Hextall is my all-time favourite Flyer... no goalie since has come close. If Niitty starts these play-offs that will be how many different play-off starters over the last 10 years? Hextall, Beezer, Boucher, Cechmanek, Burke, Esche, Biron, Niitty.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:12 PM
pcgflyers12*

what do i even say?

pcgflyers12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
Until we get (trade for or develop) a #1 rather than 1a and 1b I don't see a return to the promised land (ie Cup finals). It has been too long since we had a guy who could consistently get in the heads of the opposition forwards and have them think he is unbeatable. We have fallen short of the finals in 1995, 2000 and 2004 because of it. We need a Vezina calibre goalie to get back there.
Are Cam Ward and Chris Osgood Vezina caliber goalies?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Are Cam Ward and Chris Osgood Vezina caliber goalies?

We keep hearing this from many people. Philadelphia is not Detroit and Cam Ward played his ass off...way over his head. Things fell into place for that Carolina team and they were an exception to the rule in many regards. Sometimes that happens with a solid core of veterans and a young keeper. Fact of the matter is that the Flyers need Biron to be exceptional in the Playoffs to win. Solid may get us to the Finals, but they'll need him to be exceptional to win a Cup with. It probably can be done, but the hill probably wouldn't be quite so steep with certain guys between the pipes.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 12:45 PM
ibeck

Brodeur comes back, clemmenson to phili?

ibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeck View Post
Brodeur comes back, clemmenson to phili?
If I were the Devils I'd try to keep them, unless they need to shed cap space to build in Brodeur.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote