HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Any tips to compact hockey gear?

Old
02-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Saved*

vCash: 500
Any tips to compact hockey gear?

Hi. I've gotten involved with a recreational hockey league finally, but the only way is to take the transit. Anyone in a similar situation as me that needs to travel VIA bus/transit to get to or from a rink *with* their gear? I don't want to take an hockey bag, but someone here must have a few tricks up their sleeves that may help me be able to condense it down.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
Hi. I've gotten involved with a recreational hockey league finally, but the only way is to take the transit. Anyone in a similar situation as me that needs to travel VIA bus/transit to get to or from a rink *with* their gear? I don't want to take an hockey bag, but someone here must have a few tricks up their sleeves that may help me be able to condense it down.
Seeing how you take the "Bus", ask the rink to see if they will store the equipment for you. If I had a player that was paying money to the rink to play, and he need a little help, I would store it for him. But understand, I would be responsable if anything was taken. You kind of have to take a chance. If you tell the manager of the rink that you would take that chance, then maybe he would store it for you....I would!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:36 PM
greyraven8

I'd suggest getting one of the backpack style hockey bags.

One guy I knew that had older and the most basic of equipment (no shoulder pads, thin shin pads, pants with little padding) used a duffle bag.

If you get to be friends with a member of your team that lives near you, you might be able to get rides from him.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:37 PM
densetsu

I have a few teammates that carry their gear in lacrosse bags. They're about half the size of a regular hockey bag.

Since the league is non-contact, they have the smallest shoulder pads possible. They're also forwards, so their pants are minimalistic as well (no need to block shots), and well broken in too (so they fold up well). Those are usually the two largest items in the bag.

And of course, fill up any hollow area you can. Stuff elbow pads into your helmet. Jam socks or jerseys into your skates. Etc, etc.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:51 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
I use a hockey backpack if I'm traveling with friends. you will still need to carry your sticks.

As for having your hockey equipment stored at the rink. YIKES!!
do you really want to put your sweaty stuff in a bag and park it in someones office for a week wet? How long do you think that the person who has to live with your smelly bag will put up with that?
All sounds nice and fluffy "Yeah sure just put your bag next to the Zamboni and we will keep it for you a week at a time".
How much money do you have invested in your hockey bag and how long dose it take to brake in new pads? (Elbow pads for me)

Not for nothing but suck it up and just drag that bag with you, and think about the backpack hockey bag.

this is the one I use
http://yahoo.shoptoit.ca/shop/produc...d_3149078.html

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 09:42 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
As I got older i started to downsize my equipment also. I got rid of those bulky shoulder pads and went with the Traditional Sherwoods, then got a little smaller Elbow pads. Then got rid of all the crap that is not needed in a bag. Ususally in Rec/Mens league, you only need a light/dark jersey, and one pair of Socks. Trust me, when i went through my bag, i saw so much unneeded stuff.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Obviously the bulkiness of your gear comes into play but, in general, do this:

1.) Put the shin pads one inside the other.
2.) Now put the shin pads up one leg of the pants.
3.) Put your elbow pads together similarly.
4.) Put your elbow pads, socks, tape, etc. up the other leg of the pants.
5.) Strap your shoulder pads around the pants.
6.) Use the hook/hanger on the cuff of your gloves to hang them off your stick.
7.) Carry your helmet and stick/gloves with the condensed package of gear in a small bag. You could put your skates in the bag as well or throw them over your shoulder with the laces together.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 06:54 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I use a Jr size bag which I got like 15 years ago well before I started playing. I've had a few guys tell me I should buy a bigger bag, but I've got a "system" that works.

I stuff my elbow pads together. Then shin pads, one inside the other. Then put the elbow pads inside the shin pads and use the shin pad velcro straps to keep it all together.

First thing in my bag are my pants. Then in one pant leg goes the shin/elbow pad bundle. Then in the other leg goes my gloves.

I put all my soft stuff like cup, undershirt, socks in my helmet. Then wrap my helmet in a towel. Stuff that in the open space of my pants in the hip area. Then skates next to the pants, jersey, shoulder pads on top. Off to the rink.

I've done it enough times that I don't even need to think about it and goes pretty quick. I also make sure things air out after every skate in the storage locker when I get home.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 09:28 AM
noobman

Get dressed before you go? That way you just need a bag for your skates and your gloves

Seriously though... they have backpack style hockey bags you can buy that are smaller than regular bags. Keep in mind that they require more meticulous packing of your gear after the game. You can't just toss your stuff in and force the zip up.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
night-timer

Can anyone recommend a good, petite hockey backpack, then?

And, yes, stuff as much of your gear (socks, gloves, elbow pads, etc) inside your hockey pants in transit to keep things condensed.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:22 PM
SirJW

Junior Backpacks?
Although I'm not sure if your skates will fit in the skate pockets.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bags-backpack.html

SirJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Saved*

What I did was put my shin pads together, inside pants. Roll pants in tight and place in bottom of kit bag. Then shove chest protector on over top of that and put the shoulder pads curled into the corners. Pushed the gloves in to the sides, and elbow pads in there, too. The other odds and ends such as tape etc was put into pockets. Wore the jock.

I carried helmet, skates and stick, and voila. I got to hockey.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 01:09 PM
greyraven8

I have a backpack style bag that is pretty small - tag says size is 19 1/2 X 29 X 11 3/4. I can fit my full set of adult equipment in plus 2 jerseys, a towel, socks, and underwear and it's stuffed.
It's an Easton I got a few years ago - one tag says "A 166 766 Orange".
I've had to stitch a couple rips along some seams over the years, but it seem to be holding up well.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:13 PM
backhander

Quote:
leave your cup at home or get a limo

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote